• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Revoh

I must be doing something bad because my pics don't look nearly as good as some of these.
How far can I push a HD6870 + i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz?
I'm currently just playing at 1920x1080 and using 2560x1440 in the config file.

The game will run fine, you just wont be able to get Ambient Occlusion (which kills FPS anyway unless you have a beastly GFX) and you will have to create a profile in your Control panel to force High Performance.

Not a big deal really, i have played the game for 20 hours with 0 problems on a 7970.

Similar. I've played it over 20 hours on 6870s and had no problems.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I must be doing something bad because my pics don't look nearly as good as some of these.
How far can I push a HD6870 + i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz?
I'm currently just playing at 1920x1080 and using 2560x1440 in the config file.

For what it's worth unless I use an exact multiple of the in-game resolution in the dsfix.ini my AA gets messed up.

Hence in your ( and incidentally my own ) case have the game running at 1920x1080 ingame but the value in the configfile is 2x , e.g 3840x2160.

Try it out.

arit

Came across this at Duke's Archive second bonfire:
RHpYN.jpg

Faulty modeling by From or corrupted map data?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Peoples eyes glaze over readme.txt files these days, hence why you have to name them "READ ME NOW OR I WILL END YOU.txt"

EasyMode

You could try going there without DSfix to see if it shows up the same way.

On a side note, I'm about 50% through the game (not counting the new content) and haven't experienced any glitches or bugs. The game is looking fantastic.

Sullichin

fwiw, I've played through Duke's and this didn't happen to me.

I haven't yet been to Tomb of the Giants, Lost Izalith, Kiln of the First Flame or Painted World, but every other area works fine for me with this mod.

I get crappy fps in the new area chasm of the abyss, but I think that's because i'm on an AMD card...

Crap. These AMD card problems I keep hearing about are making me hesitant to buy the game again. What exactly should I expect? Not to mention I still haven't seen proof it'll run on a Q6600.

The game looks wonderful and runs great 98% of the time on my 5850 and my i7-860 (stock, no overclock). So far, the only times I've experienced drops to 15 FPS were when resting at bonfires (all of the smoke effects) and when going down to the water level (the narrow bridge) near the beginning of New Londo Ruins. I can live with the FPS drop at bonfires, but will experiment to try and get the FPS issue resolved at NLR. PS3 version had some framerate issues in the same spot. Haven't gotten to Blighttown yet.

Deadstar

What is the best program to check fps in game? It feels fine to me but I'm running a 120 hz monitor and read something about constant 15 fps. Not sure if I am affected. I'm still running the first patch. I'm too scared to update to a new one and somehow lose my save file.

What is the best program to check fps in game? It feels fine to me but I'm running a 120 hz monitor and read something about constant 15 fps. Not sure if I am affected. I'm still running the first patch. I'm too scared to update to a new one and somehow lose my save file.

FRAPS or RadeonPro if you're have an AMD card

15 fps isn't something you wouldn't notice.

Revoh

For what it's worth unless I use an exact multiple of the in-game resolution in the dsfix.ini my AA gets messed up.

Hence in your ( and incidentally my own ) case have the game running at 1920x1080 ingame but the value in the configfile is 2x , e.g 3840x2160.

Try it out.

I tried 3840x2160 a few days ago, the game looks amazing but I have random FPS drops that I didn't have with my current resolution. I don't know if it something fixable by touching things in the driver or my gfx cards just lacks the power. I want to believe it's the first one though

didamangi

The game looks wonderful and runs great 98% of the time on my 5850 and my i7-860 (stock, no overclock). So far, the only times I've experienced drops to 15 FPS were when resting at bonfires (all of the smoke effects) and when going down to the water level (the narrow bridge) near the beginning of New Londo Ruins. I can live with the FPS drop at bonfires, but will experiment to try and get the FPS issue resolved at NLR. PS3 version had some framerate issues in the same spot. Haven't gotten to Blighttown yet.

Same here with Phenom II X4 945 and AMD 6850 (stock)

Interestingly, the beginning of New Londo Ruins is stable at 30fps if I play in window mode. But at fullscreen it can drop to 15 fps.

Durante

Dark Souls Oculus Rift support: CONFIRMED!
Sadly, Dark Souls could potentially be one of the few games for which it's extremely hard to provide Rift support via an unofficial "hack" :(

The easiest way to go about doing this for other games is simply letting the game run as fast as possible, and move every other frame to a different eye. For Dark Souls with its locked 30 FPS framerate, that "simple" (relatively!) method is not available.

The press this mod is getting just goes to show how excited people were to play Dark Souls on PC and how utterly disappointed people were when we found out the state of the port. Hopefully, this sends the perfect message to Namco/From that people desperately want these games available on the PC platform but they need to put more effort into the port to meet basic expectations.

Wanny

My new favorite combo is native resolution + 4x MSAA + DOF 810!

Unfortunately I cannot get good performance with AO here.

The press this mod is getting just goes to show how excited people were to play Dark Souls on PC and how utterly disappointed people were when we found out the state of the port. Hopefully, this sends the perfect message to Namco/From that people desperately want these games available on the PC platform but they need to put more effort into the port to meet basic expectations.

Durante in G.I. Interview said:
Around 150,000 downloads [of the mod] so far. That's with all five versions combined. The amount of traffic on my domain during the first weekend was more than all of the two years before it.

I think it is safe to assume that most people did not download all 5 versions of the mod, especially given how rapid succession the updates were. Still, let's assume they were pretty ambitious and downloaded the mod 3 times each (which I think also somewhat high). That's 50,000 copies of the game sold. I would assume Namco net's at least 50% profit from the game and the cheapest it can be found is around $40. Those are conservative estimates, in my opinion, so I think it's safe to say the port has netted at least $1,000,000 for Namco.

I don't know how much they offered From for the port but when all is said and done, I think it's pretty safe to assume it will be a profitable port even with the bad publicity leading up to it. And this is before a Steam sale windfall. Hopefully future games in the series will be day and date with a better port.

Revoh

Kinda OT but has there been a petition to get FROM to release Demon's Souls on PC?
I want to replay Demon's Souls so bad, might borrow my friend's PS3 and get a cheap copy.

Durante

I think it is safe to assume that most people did not download all 5 versions of the mod. Let's assume they were pretty ambitions and downloaded the mod 3 times (which I think also somewhat high). That's 50,000 copies of the game sold. I would assume Namco net's at least 50% profit from the game and the cheapest it can be found is around $40. Those are conservative estimates, in my opinion, so I think it's safe to say the port has netted at least $1,000,000 for Namco.
Sadly, you are forgetting about pirates, who are also downloading the fix. I have deleted tons of obvious piracy comments from my blog already.

Sadly, you are forgetting about pirates, who are also downloading the fix. I have deleted tons of obvious piracy comments from my blog already.

You're right. I have no way to gauage what the rate of piracy is.

It is a good sign that it has been in the top three slots on Steam and Greenman Gaming since the game's release.

add RTFM to the title durante -_-

People that cant read readmes wont know what "RTFM" means :p

I think it is safe to assume that most people did not download all 5 versions of the mod. Let's assume they were pretty ambitions and downloaded the mod 3 times (which I think also somewhat high). That's 50,000 copies of the game sold. I would assume Namco net's at least 50% profit from the game and the cheapest it can be found is around $40. Those are conservative estimates, in my opinion, so I think it's safe to say the port has netted at least $1,000,000 for Namco.

I don't know how much they offered From for the port but when all is said and done, I think it's pretty safe to assume it will be a profitable port even with the bad publicity leading up to it. And this is before a Steam sale windfall. Hopefully future games in the series will be day and date with a better port.

That would be great, i wish there was a way to know number of sales for sure, then again the game has only been out for 4 days, maybe it will have legs.

Psy-Phi

Are the in-game settings in the registry? Can an installer be made that automatically turns it off?

Theoretically someone could design a launcher/installer that would modify the ini file found in the %appdata% folder. I can't recall the exact folder and am at work now, but it has the settings for the resolution, and windowed mode. Whether or not the game honors it, I am unsure.

That would be great, i wish there was a way to know number of sales for sure, then again the game has only been out for 4 days, maybe it will have legs.

Well, I was checking my Chaos Servant Roster just yesterday and got sick of scrolling by 100's when I hit 40k. I imagine someone could go through all the rosters and try to get a really good approximation? Also, I saw that there were 8k people playing a few days ago in Steam's Community Beta as I was perusing images uploaded by people.

Wow this could have been the perfect experiment to deter pirates, but as we talked about earlier, its better to just leave it open for future archiving.

EasyMode

Kinda OT but has there been a petition to get FROM to release Demon's Souls on PC?
I want to replay Demon's Souls so bad, might borrow my friend's PS3 and get a cheap copy.

The IP is owned by Sony unfortunately, so there's no chance of that happening.

Theoretically someone could design a launcher/installer that would modify the ini file found in the %appdata% folder. I can't recall the exact folder and am at work now, but it has the settings for the resolution, and windowed mode. Whether or not the game honors it, I am unsure.

Well, I was checking my Chaos Servant Roster just yesterday and got sick of scrolling by 100's when I hit 40k. I imagine someone could go through all the rosters and try to get a really good approximation? Also, I saw that there were 8k people playing a few days ago in Steam's Community Beta as I was perusing images uploaded by people.

How do you check the leaderboards anyway?

And those 40k would have to be non-hackers, right? You can't activate it on GFWL with a hacked version, I think.

How do you check the leaderboards anyway?

And those 40k would have to be non-hackers, right? You can't activate it on GFWL with a hacked version, I think.

Right, you cant, it registers with a CD KEY.

But good question about the leaderboards, it asked me at the begining if I wanted to enroll my character but it gives you no way of looking at it.

I've looked through the menus and I can't find it.

This game has the weirdest implementation of online ever.

Im wondering if the leaderboard can only be accessed from the new PvP arenas in the DLC stuff, its just weird how that stuff is just locked out until you get there.

I wish I could just load an Arena mode with my character and fight. As of right now I have no idea how they implemented it in the DLC, is it part of the world? do you have to walk all the way there whenever you feel like doing PvP without invading someone?

Super confusing.

This game has the weirdest implementation of online ever.

Im wondering if the leaderboard can only be accessed from the new PvP arenas in the DLC stuff, its just weird how that stuff is just locked out until you get there.

I wish I could just load an Arena mode with my character and fight. As of right now I have no idea how they implemented it in the DLC, is it part of the world? do you have to walk all the way there whenever you feel like doing PvP without invading someone?

Super confusing.

Actually I really like how it is all totally integrated into a singular experience. I know the leaderboards can PARTIALLY be found through looking at some of the books (like the Book of the Guilty). I find it refreshing that a game integrates those kind of components into a holistic experience.

It is kind of weird but it is also terrific. The way joining factions requires you to hunt down players who have broken covenants and the messaging system and the the way summoning phantoms/being invaded works is totally unlike any other experience and the game is better for those things.

But for academic purposes, I just want to use the leaderboards to see how many people are playing the game.

zkylon

zkylewd
Dear Durante,

I just sent $15 USD your way. I hope it made it to you safely.

Sincerely,

-Jeremy
I just sent you 10 euro myself, which is what I saved from buying from GMG.

Great work Durante, you deserve the praise and the money. Proud it's a fellow gaffer too :)

Top Bottom