• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

can Mario U's music be patched?

Dina

This may be the most overblown non-issue of the whole Wii U launch. It really really isn't anywhere near as bad as you people make it out to be.

Nope. The NSMB games have been getting a pass for too long and the music just tells the entire story of the way Nintendo is handling the Mario franchise.

Jeff was totally right.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Nope. The NSMB games have been getting a pass for too long and the music just tells the entire story of the way Nintendo is handling the Mario franchise.

Jeff was totally right.

In a sense, Jeff was right. Lots about the presentation is routine.

Although what Jeff couldn't have known, is that NSMBU's levels are some of the better ones in decades....

AzaK

I dunno if they have custom soundtracks on WiiU but is it possible for nintendo to patch the nsmb soundtrack? They have to know we're sick of it and its a blight on the series. I'm literally passing on the Wii U simply because after a few BAW BAWs I turn the games off when I attempt to try the new ones. Couldn't take that long to remix some classic Mario tunes eh? Is it possible?
You're passing on Wii U because of NSMB music?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Am I supposed to play in silence?

Most games have shitty/boring ambient music these days. I don't think this is an excuse for a series like Mario to jump on the bandwagon, but just put on a podcast or something while you play instead of listening to the music.

batbeg

Some of the music is pretty good. Some is mediocre, but by no means ear-bleeding calamitous disaster seventh-seal breaking end of the world travesty awful that many make it out to be.

It's disappointing that they didn't put in any effort, but it is hardly to the games detriment.

Nuklear

Banned
My only gripe is that they would use the old school music for stage clears everytime. I think you can only get it if you end the level with a 6(maybe 3 or 1 too). Some music shouldn't be changed like the underground music. It's too iconic of a tune.

Goldmund

Bu-... the enemies dance to the BAW BAWs.

I think it's cute...
That's what actually gets me. Nintendo can't differentiate between taking pleasure in simple activities and mental enfeeblement. Not that you or anyone who likes it is an idiot. I just get the feeling Nintendo assumes that you are.

linko9

Ten hours in, it hasn't been as bad as I expected. But I've also been listening to podcasts the whole time, with the music more in the background.

Not the franchise as a whole, but the 2D platformers, yes.

I'm not bothered by the music, but I'm extremely bored by the lack of new mechanics in these games. I own a Wii U, and I didn't even get Mario U. And I would consider myself a huge fan of the Mario franchise and of platformers.

I think the NSMB composer is just bitter that all he has is this crappy Casio keyboard from the late 80's while Galaxy composers have this awesome orchestra MIDI-set

c:"I'M CAN'T COMPOSE WITH THIS!"
Nintendo: "Oh yes you can"
*closes the cage*
c: *does the worst possible result*

Thoraxes

I think the NSMB composer is just bitter that all he has is this crappy Casio keyboard from the late 80's while Galaxy composers have this awesome orchestra MIDI-set

c:"I'M CAN'T COMPOSE WITH THIS!"
Nintendo: "Oh yes you can"
*closes the cage*
c: *does the worst possible result*

They used an actual chamber orchestra for the Galaxy games.

Thank you based orchestrationally-competent Mahito Yokota for composing and orchestrating for those games.

Rehynn

People are making a way bigger deal out of this than they should be.

The compositions themselves are really good, and while I may not be a fan of the bah-bah, it's like people are competing with each other at who can complain louder about it.

I'm literally passing on the Wii U simply because after a few BAW BAWs.

This, for example, is ridiculous.

The NSMB games have been getting a pass for too long

Yes, because the games themselves are actually good, and people actually seem to care about what really matters: fun gameplay and getting a good value for their money (NSMB Wii is still our most played local multiplayer title).

People are making a way bigger deal out of this than they should be.

The compositions themselves are really good, and while I may not be a fan of the bah-bah, it's like people are competing with each other at who can complain louder about it.

That's the thing, these are all great compositions, from games that happened 20 years ago.

It's comparable to having a cover band butcher your favorite bands song, which is strange in this situation because isn't the same composer, of the original, the composer for these new pieces?

Bonus Material:
KK's Song
KK Slider Songs

Septimius

The only thing that's ever annoyed me with this is that it throws the timing of my jumps off, since that damn goomba stops to do a little shake, and I jump just short, and I die. That's quite annoying and makes a novelty game-changing.

BocoDragon

The only thing that's ever annoyed me with this is that it throws the timing of my jumps off, since that damn goomba stops to do a little shake, and I jump just short, and I die. That's quite annoying and makes a novelty game-changing.

I was just thinking about that. It ruins the rules and flow of Mario to stop the movement of characters occasionally. I guess you could argue that you could listen to the music and predict the dance-pauses with your knowledge of when the BAHs were playing... but the music is shitty!!

Stop lumping your opinions on other people. I for one am not sick of the BAHs. In fact I love 'em. So BAH BAH BAH to you too!

Well you are literally the first person I've heard in 7 years defend the BAHs... so I hope, for your sake, you're not alone :p

Septimius

I was just thinking about that. It ruins the rules and flow of Mario to stop the movement of characters occasionally. I guess you could argue that you could listen to the music and predict the dance-pauses with your knowledge of when the BAHs were playing... but the music is shitty!!

It breaks the 4th wall, to me. Are you telling me this is music Bowser is playing over level-covering speakers? Why the fuck are aware of the music?!

Stop lumping your opinions on other people. I for one am not sick of the BAHs. In fact I love 'em. So BAH BAH BAH to you too!

Do you not believe that the simplified electronic acoustic sound of the compositions behind the BAH are of a lower standard when compared to past performances?

Most convoluted sentence I've ever typed

BocoDragon

It breaks the 4th wall, to me. Are you telling me this is music Bowser is playing over level-covering speakers? Why the fuck are aware of the music?!

I think if it was exceptional music... then ok.... But it isn't.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yes, because the games themselves are actually good, and people actually seem to care about what really matters: fun gameplay and getting a good value for their money (NSMB Wii is still our most played local multiplayer title).

It is quite possible to enjoy the game while still criticizing one of its most horrible aspects.

See also: NSMBW.

The amount of people who don't care about it vastly outnumber the people who hate it I would imagine.

I find "Not caring" as a mutual connection to"hate". If in the purpose of composing an OST that is meant to be enjoyed as entertaining and or stimulating, having your audience receive your work as uninspiring, in away that it means nothing to them, the point of the music falls flat on its face in purpose. It might as well have not been based off KK beats and replaced with the top 50 list on iTunes.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm still a bit puzzled by the complaints, given that I've finished the first world and the music is, generally, new music.

I've heard complaint after complaint about recycled music, but the majority of the music -is- new. Granted, it appears to be 3-4 variations on the same new tune, but I was reading posts where folks literally said all the music was pulled from the prior games.

Does the reuse get worse later than "underground and castle themes" being used?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm still a bit puzzled by the complaints, given that I've finished the first world and the music is, generally, new music.

I've heard complaint after complaint about recycled music, but the majority of the music -is- new. Granted, it appears to be 3-4 variations on the same new tune, but I was reading posts where folks literally said all the music was pulled from the prior games.

Does the reuse get worse later than "underground and castle themes" being used?

So far I've hear them reuse:

-the main athletic theme
-the underworld theme
-desert theme
-main castle theme
-ghost house theme

That's a LOT of reused tracks, essay.

The Yoshis are so cute, and thus, they are biasing you to think the music is good.

I only found out about the Yoshis earlier this week. I've always thought the BAH-BAHs were catchy. I do hate how some of the enemies dance with the music and then move slightly enough to harm you. Don't see a reason why that's in.

This is it, we've reached the apex of whining regarding the music in this franchise, nothing can surpass this short of a BAH induced suicide or someone developing a BAH complex that causes the individual to jive uncontrollably whenever they here a unique sound byte in their everyday life.

Well you are literally the first person I've heard in 7 years defend the BAHs... so I hope, for your sake, you're not alone :p

The BAHs haven't bothered me at all since DS and I like the music itself, I just hate the reuse.

Jeff was totally right.
Actually, Jeff was wrong. NSMB is a brand in and of itself. It doesn't have the sweeping, orchestral style of SMG or the musical feeling of other Mario games because, well, it's not those games. It's not supposed to be those games and it's not trying to be those games. It's no more the same universe as Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass are the same universe. Totally separate identities. And fittingly so -- no successful company puts all their eggs in one basket; instead they produce a variety of products and derivitive branches of those products.

So, when you complain about how horrible and lazy the music is, keep in mind NSMB is meant to target a "NEW" generation of Mario fans and not necessarily the same fans from previous tellings who are now in their 20s/30s, going bald and hating life.

Top Bottom