• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of cancelled Streets of Rage leaks, developed at Ruffian (Crackdown 2).

derFeef

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ers-streets-of-rage-re-imagining-leaks-online

A video showing a cancelled 3D Streets of Rage game, made by Crackdown developer Ruffian Games, has emerged online.

The video, posted to Vimeo five days ago by "Huff Allium" and spotted by SegaDriven, shows a clip of a 3D Streets of Rage prototype. According to the video's description, it is “Streets of Rage re-imagining for digital download console title”.

Video: http://vimeo.com/54529644

Update:
Studio boss post @ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45088236&postcount=46
Video with audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtOIdgP7U44&feature=g-crec

What you can see was 6-8 weeks work by a small pitching team.

Kade

Clearly the game was in an alpha or beta state in that video but that actually looks pretty awesome. If they added the combat system from Sleeping Dogs and completed the game I would have definitely bought it.

XNarte

That was pretty cool how they backed out of the Bare Knuckle II arcade cabinet and it was in an updated "Pine Pot".

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It's kind of funny how Sega have been plugging away on Streets of Rage 4 for over 15 years and they've still got sod all to show for it.

Were the fuck is my Crackdown 3. I really hope that gets announced soon. I cant wait the video for this at work but I will be interested to see how it looks.

SoR just doesn't work unless it's side on all the time, a full 3d camera ruins it imo.

Also what is with the super generic main character there, kind of glad this one was stopped.

Please learn what the word "prototype" means.

Every brawler is like this, even finished games. Thus why I said typical. Brings me right out of the experience.

I know they don't have anything but rudimentary ai in there because it is a prototype, but I think I saw one enemy actually attack while the player was like 10 feet away.

RoyalFool

Banned
Looks bad, can't see a single original idea or concept in that promo - can't blame them for not giving it a green light. Yakuza does street combat pretty well already, SEGA don't need this.

Shinta

Banned
It's really not bad, but it definitely still needs some work. If you wanted a 3D brawler, there's stuff like Shenmue, Batman AA/AC, and Sleeping Dogs that offer that, plus a whole lot more.

I think they really need to stick to their niche of 2D brawlers moving left to right. Make it HD. Make it gorgeous, like a new Symphony of the Night almost. Get the best OST you can possibly get. And just toss in a lot of good combat moves: arm breaks, grabs, throws, specials.

Don't make it super realistic, because the series was never truly about that. There were always lightning streaks on the punches, Blaze had energy blasts, and you had a child on rollerblades and a kangaroo fighting.

I liked their little homage to the originals to start the level though. Clever transition, and well done. Sega really needs to get this right because people still want it.

If they want to make it a 3D Brawler, they should literally get United Front to do it, and just focus on only making the combat insane. Make it 4x as in depth as Sleeping Dogs.

Scavenger

Was watching it with the SOR2 Stage 1 music on. Didn't look so bad, but maybe that's because of the awesome SOR2 music.

Whompa

Ok, big SOR fanboy here, I thought it looked like a HUGE change from the original, but it had a semblance of promise. Not sure why it has to be like God of War in it's design but ok...The main character needed a redesign though. That guy looks unquestionably uninteresting. Where's Axel?!

Uthred

SoR just doesn't work unless it's side on all the time, a full 3d camera ruins it imo.

Also what is with the super generic main character there, kind of glad this one was stopped.

As opposed to the super original main character (who certainly wasnt "inspired" by anyone in Final Fight, no sir) in SoR?

Looks neat I guess, reminded me more of Fighting Force than SoR

Fighting Force at one point was Streets of Rage 4. Full circle I guess.

It looked like a great start in getting a 3D Streets of Rage going. It just seems like the SoR name is just cursed when it comes to getting a new one out there. Maybe one day.

It made me wish Sega released Spikeout for XBLA/PSN...

One reason I'm still pissed at MS shutting down OG XBL. Spikeout was so fun online. And the easy way to unlock characters. Shame.

Sgblues

I wished it had shown instead the camera zooming out of the arcade cabinet of SORII and then just zooming back in and that's it, because when the 3D stuff happened I lost interest, also a re-designed Jack(the mini-boss type guy before you enter the bar in SORII) looked pretty crappy.

I dunno why SEGA hated Bombergames remake.

Hanmik

why do people say this looks awful.? I think it looks fun and great.. I don´t care about streets of rage, so for me this just looks like a good looking fun 3d brawler. We lack good 3d brawlers in this generation..

Not a lot I can say about this and to be honest the appearance of this video is a bit of a surprise.

Given it is out there now I've uploaded a version with audio onto my youtube account with a few notes :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtOIdgP7U44&feature=g-crec

Here are some scenes from a playable prototype. It was something we built very rapidly and represents pre-pre-pre-pre (lots of pres) pre-Alpha quality. Even so it has a certain charm :)

What's the story behind it all? Like a lot of developers we work on a lot of different prototypes, they're just not usually shown in public. In this case an older version of the same video was leaked last week which came as a bit of a surprise if I'm honest. As it had no sound I thought there wouldn't be any harm sharing a version with audio.

Beyond that there's not a lot more I can say unfortunately :)

Enjoy

gaz

Give it Sleeping Dogs gameplay and this would be sublime, shame it'll never happen though
This would actually be good with the Sleeping Dogs combat system.

You guys are actually right. Sleeping Dogs combat system with special moves from original titles would be perfect. You can make the characters use melee weapons but when they disarm someone using a gun, they should unload and dispose of the gun by using it as a projectile weapon that you can toss.

Shit be perfect, yo!

OnPoint

I expected this to look terrible because of the comments in here, but it didn't look bad at all! I would have played the crap out of this.

The presentation was great too. I especially loved the Fringe-style text floating in the environment

Top Bottom