• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of cancelled Streets of Rage leaks, developed at Ruffian (Crackdown 2).

Xenon

Err....what? What game are you describing here

Most of the 3D brawlers I've played, mostly in the 32bit generation.

and you can be facing away from enemies in 2D brawlers.

Of course you can be facing away but its either away or towards.

You can whiff attacks by not being perfectly lined up with an enemy in some games. This is particularly annoying in SOR2 with a very early boss in the game for beginners who aren't able to accurately judge the spacing yet.

Learning to correctly judge the spacing is part of the challenge of the game. I don't have a problem with that at all. Also, missing is not the issue. It's how the blows are landed in 3D that bothers me. It just doesn't feel right for me, but that's just a personal preference.

If anything I think this type of game would be more natural in a 3D space in this regard simply from the added benefit of depth perception.

But on top of managing just the X and y placement of your character you have to also point your character in direction of your enemy, with an analog stick. The character ends up looking spastic. Well, when I play it does.

Has a 2d beat em up ever been translated into 3d and not been horrible?

I've posted this one before....

1131777952-00.jpg

But I liked it a lot.

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks did it well too. Other than that I am hard pressed to find many straight up 3D brawlers. Adham Asylum kind of comes closer to one. You really would think that such a genre would be easy to translate over to 3D.

This was surly cancelled so that Wayforward can make there own Streets of Rage.... Right?

RIGHT?! D:

After the release of Double Dragon Neon.... I'm not so sure anymore.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Seems a lot of people here don't understand that this was a pre alpha concept thrown together in just two months time by a small team.
I think it could've evolved to something nice.
I really miss the ps2 days, where not every game had to be gigantic AAA and coast millions.
We might have gotten this in that generation.

Yeah. It was called Final Fight Streetwise.

http://youtu.be/Y1nNOWK0Y5o

Really though, Powerstone or Shenmue's 70 man battle are massively superior bases for a 3d brawler than what was shown.

The gameplay looked as un-SoR as any 3D brawler I've ever seen, but the opening put a smile on my face.

Anyone but them.

Here is a list of people allowed to make a Streets of Rage sequel:

1. Ancient
2. Bombergames, preferably overseen by Ancient.

Agreed.

In fact, if the last SoR game I ever play is Streets of Rage Remake, I will remain a happy SoR fan.

Aaiiee

Neo Member
I should say up front that I work at Ruffian, although I didn't work on the SoR pitch.

Shouldn't the title say "video of rejected SoR pitch" rather than "cancelled SoR"?

Yes. This was never a game in development, so it cannot be called "cancelled".

It was a pitch put together by a very small number of people in a few weeks, certainly not like a game demo released alongside a retail game.

Folks saying "it looks shit" and so on probably don't understand the purpose of the pitch or the limiting factors imposed by that purpose and the time available. It looks like a bad game because it was not a game and it never had enough time to look as smooth or as rich or as deep as you would expect from a game.

Take some really good recent brawlers like Arkham Asylum. What would they look like if they were instead thrown together by such a small team in such a short time? Pretty shoddy I would expect.

Do I think the pitch has design and art direction issues? Yes, but you also have to understand that when making a pitch you have to look at what's out there, where you can fit in, what you think the publisher would be interested in, what you can realistically do in the given time, and that sort of thing.

I think the folks who worked on it did an amazing job considering.

Persona86

Banned
I've always wanted a new 3D Streets of rage, but no like that. It looks pretty poor, also SOR is NOTHING without the amazing music.

I wanted it to be evolved in every way, the fighting system and the actual world with added gameplay and things to do. The video I saw also didn't appear to have that nice atmosphere of the previous games.

Oh well at least I have Yakuza to pass me by.

Edit: oh I see it was a pitch like the above poster said.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Folks saying "it looks shit" and so on probably don't understand the purpose of the pitch or the limiting factors imposed by that purpose and the time available. It looks like a bad game because it was not a game and it never had enough time to look as smooth or as rich or as deep as you would expect from a game.

The people who say that just want you to literally make a Genesis game, so don't mind any of that.

Looked very interesting, especially in the beginning. The fighting and animations needed some work, but the presentation was pretty cool. We need more beat em ups 2D or 3D. I am still actually having fun playing these three classic games on Xbox Arcade after all of these years. Sega, look at all for these attempts at Streets of Rage 4 from everyone. Isn't that a hint that a few people might want it? Seriously, we need more than Sonic games.

Anyone but them.

Here is a list of people allowed to make a Streets of Rage sequel:

1. Ancient
2. Bombergames, preferably overseen by Ancient.

I was going to say the same thing. Very few developers I would trust with a genuine sequel to SOR. Not everyone could faithfully reproduce the magic of the SOR franchise.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The people who say that just want you to literally make a Genesis game, so don't mind any of that.

Nah. It's more not wanting something titled Streets of Rage with generic third person action game mechanics and a camera mounted on a telephone pole so that everyone looks like a damn ant. It's like wanting a new Ikari Warriors and someone comes along with a re-branded Expendable. Zzzzz.... I say no to Rage Syndrome.

People have even been pointing out good 3d beat 'em ups. It's not like anyone has to settle here.

Fighting Force proved that sometimes nothing is better than something.

Honestly, I doubt we will ever see a legitimate sequel to Streets of Rage which is depressing since I love beat em ups and SOR is arguably my favorite franchise of all time. Sadly, Sega probably feels that it wouldn't sell at all in this modern age of shooters and guns. Couldn't they essentially get Yakuza and make some modifications to it and call it SOR4? I mean, didn't Yakuza perform admirably sales-wise? I mean Yakuza haas a good fighting engine and it is even based in a large city. Why not? As an XBox Live or PSN title, I don't think Sega has that much to lose.

Borman

I should say up front that I work at Ruffian, although I didn't work on the SoR pitch.

Yes. This was never a game in development, so it cannot be called "cancelled".

It was a pitch put together by a very small number of people in a few weeks, certainly not like a game demo released alongside a retail game.

Take some really good recent brawlers like Arkham Asylum. What would they look like if they were instead thrown together by such a small team in such a short time? Pretty shoddy I would expect.

Do I think the pitch has design and art direction issues? Yes, but you also have to understand that when making a pitch you have to look at what's out there, where you can fit in, what you think the publisher would be interested in, what you can realistically do in the given time, and that sort of thing.

I think the folks who worked on it did an amazing job considering.

I tried to back you guys up :| I cover cancelled games, tech demos, that sort of thing on my site, and as I said to some other people, for a pitch it is quite nice! Far better than some of the stuff I have played.

Tain

Understanding that you're looking at a pitch of a game and feeling that the current state or direction of the game looks bad are nowhere near mutually exclusive.

jooey said:

pfffffffffffft. Please.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Doesn't look good. I mean, sure, two months and all, but it doesn't look to be at all on a path toward what I'd want to play.

I've never really had the craving for an outsourced SoR4, though. Let the series rest. Bare Knuckle III is solid, and Sega continued making a good number of belt scroll games anyway (three Dynamite Cop games, Zombie Revenge, a number of Spikeout games).

I'd mainly want a new SOR to see what they'd do with the music. EDM has come a long way since the original SOR titles were released.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
If only Sega had an amazing 3d brawler that people loved that would allow for 4 player online hijinks that they could, i dunno, just reskin for Streets of Rage.....

oh, hi Spikeout. Didn't see you there. Have you any ideas?

Top Bottom