• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Gez
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:41 PM)
Gez's Avatar
Just noticed The War Z which was inspired by the popular Arma 2 mod Day-Z went up on Steam and i decided to do abit of looking it to the game, some info I knew about others i did not.

The developers promised at Minecraft scenario where if you bought the game early at $20 you would be getting the cheapest price for the game, not even out of alpha and the game costs now $15.

Original pricing


New pricing

Lets not forget about the development issues this game has had where the game was based on War Inc but was changed in attempt to cash in on Day-Z success.

Originally Posted by bishoptl

The lie about this title being developed as a zombie game in advance of Day Z.

Repurposing a game that's already in development and pivoting to capitalize on the new hotness isn't necessarily a bad thing.


What's shady is acting like you were doing it along. Ye Olde Internet will dig up the truth whether you like it or not.


The rest of the gallery can be found here.

Oh and who could forget about these copy and pasted League of Legends TOS.

Lets not mention the War-Z forums where hacked with this message



followed by this post from a ex-mod:

Originally Posted by Wolf Akela

Uh... shit just hit the fan? Ex-War Z mod reveals some stuff about the game.

o, since I didn't sign any sort of NDA for those fuckfaces here are some interesting facts.

WarZ is a direct port over from War Inc. They literally took the game and added NPCs, made a large map, and changed around camera angles and gun settings while adding more functionality and switching over some things. ALL ART however was actually done in-house by their amazing ART team. (Those were the best guys to know, they were in touch more with the community than Kewk)

They randomly ban accounts that have a certain amount of time spent playing in-game, knowing they are hooked on the game so they re-buy the game.

Their anti-hack is actually functional but here's the kicker..wanna know WHY their bans are TEMPORARY the first time around? 0.8% hacking? Try an EXTREMELY LARGE PORTION of the player base is hacking. If they banned everyone they'd have a mass refund issue on their hands, and no one to play their piss poor of an excuse game.

they plan to HALT DEVELOPMENT AND ABANDON THE GAME in SIX months if revenue is not enough for them (I.E. People are not buying GC and spending the fuck out of it) -- take note, if they do not get ENOUGH revenue. They will have enough revenue to pay for the game development for over a year at this point in time already, but if they don't get enough to give themselves regular raises they will stop making the game and shut down the servers and website.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by Tensketch

The War Z moderator came clean and admitted he was lying about everything in order to spite the staff who kicked him off the team. Though some believe his silence was bought.
You can find the video here.


Also there is the mass bans of thousands of people getting banned for no reason giving whatsoever. Even new Steam buyers are reporting this on the Steam forums.

EDIT: It appears Steam users are getting perma banned from the forums in droves and negative comments are being removed. Kewk the moderator works for Hammerpoint Games.

Originally Posted by shagg_187

Apparently, if you hit decline to new TOS, you can restart the game and it won't ask you again. Regardless of this glitch that may be fixed soon, you can't ask for refunds anymore.

Also, users getting banned from steam community for saying anything negative.



Kewk works for the devs.



There is this beauty from elseanio on some of the false claims made on the Steam page.

Originally Posted by elseanio

Is this out of Alpha/beta/whatever yet?

Just noticed it went up on steam today: http://store.steampowered.com/app/226700/

edit*

err..

The War Z is a Survival Horror MMO that immerses players in a zombie-infested, post-apcalyptic world in which a viral outbreak has decimated the human population leaving in its wake, a nightmare of epic proportion.

A Huge Persistent World: The War Z is an open world game. Each world has areas between 100 to 400 square kilometers.
Explore, Scavenge, Kill, Survive: You are one of the few survivors and must navigate the desolate countryside exploring cities and scavenging for items.
Play with Friends: Hundreds of Servers to Play on and you can also rent and create Public or Private Servers allocating spots for Friends or Clans.
No Classes, No Levels, No Caps: Create your own survival campaign, gain experience points and spend it to learn dozen of available skills
Two modes of Play: Normal and Hardcore
Combination of First-Person and Third Person Perspectives
Meld of PVE(Player versus Environment) and PVP (Player versus Player)
Safe Settlements where Players can Purchase, Sell and Store items as well a post notes for other players
Up to 100 Players per Game Server
Dedicated Public Servers as well as Private Servers
Single Purchase, Downloadable Client with ability to play the full game without subscriptions or requiring in-game transactions

Is any of that even in the game yet?

For those wondering the War-Z Colorado map (the only map in the game) is 10 square kilometres, basically nowhere near the 100 to 400 feature given on the Steam page originally.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/how-big-war-zs-map


EDIT: Now a before and after of the Steam store page prompted the controversy on the internet. Edited version still contains misinfomation and false advertiing.

Before


After

An interview with one of the War Z developers on the Steam store false claims.

Originally Posted by Stitch

A Shocking Interview With The War Z Developer On False Steam Store Claims

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1226980p1.html


I'm sure there'll be people who will look into small details and will say "no I was mislead," where in fact they imagined something to themselves without checking details first.

Let's be frank: when you read "up to 100 players" -- what does it mean to you personally? I mean, for me it doesn't mean that I will play with 99 other players. Really :)


There's more. Man, what a moron.



UPDATE! - GAME TAKEN DOWN FROM STEAM

Originally Posted by Archie

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226700/

Can't buy it any more.

Valve statement:

From time to time a mistake can be made and one was made by prematurely issuing a copy of War Z for sale via Steam. We apologize for this and have temporary removed the sale offering of the title until we have time to work with the developer and have confidence in a new build. Those who purchase the game and wish to continue playing it via Steam may do so. Those who purchased the title via Steam and are unhappy with what they received may seek a refund by creating a ticket at our support site here.

UPDATE:

It appears the War Z developers still released the game under the 'The War Z' name despite a notice from the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Obvious reasoning behind this would be to capitalize on Day Zs success.

Originally Posted by shagg_187

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85...e=statusSearch

http://warzscam.tumblr.com/post/3863...game-will-have

There is something interesting showing up if you check the “United States Patent and Trademark Office” website for the “War Z” trademark that has been registered by OP Productions.

The trademark application by OP Productions for the name “War Z” has been SUSPENDED because the trademark office feels that the name is too similar to the name of Paramount Pictures upcoming movie “World War Z”.

*The trademark was only filled in July 2012, further evidence pointing towards that this game has been in development for only 6 months.
*They have received the suspension letter on 15th November 2012 already, so they know for over a month now that their name has to be changed.


LOL? They knew its suspended yet they released it on Steam? Maybe the release was a preemptive one in hopes of getting the few bucks under the name.



........................................__................................. .....................
.................................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..................................................
...........................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,..........................................
......................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,......................................
..................,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\.................. ...................
................;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\....................................
................\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/...........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,................................
.................\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*.............`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,...............................
...................\llllllllllll,-~*........................)_-\..*`*;..)..............................
.....................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................../...............................
.....................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;.................../.\..............................
.................../.../..../..../..,-,..*~,.`*~*..................*...\.............................
...................|.../.../..../.*`...\................................)....)¯`~,....................
...................|./..../..../........).........)`*~-,............../.....|..)...`~-,..............
.................././.../....,*`-,.....`-,....*`....,---......\...../...../..|..........¯```*~-,,,,
.................(............)`*~-,.....`*`.,-~*.,-*.......|.../..../..../...............\..........
..................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*.............|.,*...,*....|.................\.........
......................*,.........`-,....)-,..................,-*`...,-*.....(`-,..............\........
........................f`-,........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*.....,-*......|....`-,...............\.......

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?.................................................... ..\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.......... ./
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\.......... ....__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Based on that last post from elseanio the game would be illegal to sell in the UK and Australia (and i assume other countries aswell).

Not convinced? then take a look here for more (not my blog)

Also TotalBiscuits WTF video that sparked even more controversy (mainly from fans)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtKAm3nzg6I
Last edited by Gez; 12-25-2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: fixing formating & adding new info
arts&crafts
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:47 PM)
arts&crafts's Avatar
Just saw this on steam, will probably buy when its cheaper. It can't be that bad and its 13.50. Also it is a blatent rip off of Day-Z, but Day-Z has a horrible interface and runs pretty poorly on my decent computer. So if I could get that but better, why not.
Kurdel
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:47 PM)
Kurdel's Avatar
I was thinking of maybe buying this out of curiosity, but now forget it.
chiablo
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:48 PM)
chiablo's Avatar

Originally Posted by arts&crafts

Just saw this on steam, will probably buy when its cheaper. It can't be that bad and its 13.50.

Not sure if troll, or uninformed gamer.
Tomat
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:49 PM)
Tomat's Avatar

Originally Posted by chiablo

Not sure if troll, or uninformed gamer.

More like your typical steam user who would download a pile of dogshit if it was on sale.
Tensketch
Junior Member
(12-17-2012, 11:49 PM)
Tensketch's Avatar
The War Z moderator came clean and admitted he was lying about everything in order to spite the staff who kicked him off the team. Though some believe his silence was bought.
You can find the video here.

That being said, I don't trust this game in the slightest and I won't be buying it due to the many random ban allegations.

EDIT: I am terrible at post formatting, apparently.
jediyoshi
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:50 PM)
jediyoshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by arts&crafts

Just saw this on steam, will probably buy when its cheaper. It can't be that bad and its 13.50. Also it is a blatent rip off of Day-Z, but Day-Z has a horrible interface and runs pretty poorly on my decent computer. So if I could get that but better, why not.

$13.50 is a lot in the steam economy.
The M.O.B
important Canuck facts
(12-17-2012, 11:50 PM)
The M.O.B's Avatar
The game is $13 now, so there was basically no benefit in buying the game early except for "testing" a super broken, buggy, janky "alpha" version of the game.

Oh and I believe they still haven't implemented vehicles yet.

With all this said, the in-game currency BS basically makes this a "WE WANT UR MONEY" instead of "We just want to make a great game".
Treemonkeys
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:50 PM)
Treemonkeys's Avatar
What's sad is they get away with this while other people get sued for having "scrolls" in their game title.
geebee
Banned
(12-17-2012, 11:50 PM)
geebee's Avatar
Shady indeed. Some devs can be pretty rotten..
DTKT
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:50 PM)
DTKT's Avatar
The amount of confusion that the Steam release is going to create on the marketplace is just stupid. Rocket should have forced them to change the name.

DayZ
WarZ

Wait too close. If a mod like DayZ is losing players to an abomination like WarZ, I'm going to rage so bad.

FUCK THAT SHIT. It's the top seller on Steam. Fuck everything about this.
Dennis
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:51 PM)
Dennis's Avatar

Originally Posted by arts&crafts

Just saw this on steam, will probably buy when its cheaper. It can't be that bad and its 13.50. Also it is a blatent rip off of Day-Z, but Day-Z has a horrible interface and runs pretty poorly on my decent computer. So if I could get that but better, why not.

lmao you sucker
Gez
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:51 PM)
Gez's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tensketch

The War Z moderator came clean and admitted he was lying about everything in order to spite the staff who kicked him off the team. Though some believe his silence was bought.
You can find the video here.

That being said, I don't trust this game in the slightest and I won't be buying it due to the many random ban allegations.

EDIT: I am terrible at post formatting, apparently.

Cheers. Will update OP.
BrokenEchelon
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:51 PM)
BrokenEchelon's Avatar
The ban reports, steam forum reports, and blatant War Inc. rip if enough for me to write this pile of shit off forever.
arts&crafts
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:52 PM)
arts&crafts's Avatar

Originally Posted by jediyoshi

$13.50 is a lot in the steam economy.

$13.50 is a 3D movie ticket. I mean, I am not going to buy it right now, but it actually looks kind of fun. Obviously the company is doing shady things, but if its still fun I would pay $7 or so.

I bought Brink at full price, so I feel I am invinsible.
Juan29.zapata
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:53 PM)
Juan29.zapata's Avatar
I hate when devs rip their community off this way.

But the 'abandoning the community' part was quite known actually, which is keeping me away from this game. I can't depend on the interest of others to play my damn game.
Valnen
Banned
(12-17-2012, 11:53 PM)
Valnen's Avatar
Damn, I was hoping this would be good after my negative experience with Day Z.
jediyoshi
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:53 PM)
jediyoshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by BrokenEchelon

The ban reports, steam forum reports, and blatant War Inc. rip if enough for me to write this pile of shit off forever.

I believe the forum mod dude wasn't actually lying about that. War Inc is already published by the same dudes and though the devs listed are different, I wouldn't be surprised if there actually was a direct crossover. That was the tip off for me initially anyway, War Inc is awful.
Vulcano's assistant
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:54 PM)
Vulcano's assistant's Avatar
All I remember of this game is that it uses Crysis's weapon customization mechanic.
Bo
shoot bullets from her arse
(12-17-2012, 11:55 PM)
Bo's Avatar
Was tempted a few weeks ago (before the price drop and other various shenanigans), but the vibes surrounding the developer seriously put me off. Congratulations to these idiots for putting the final notch in securing another customer for the DayZ standalone, I guess.
Jasper Avenue
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:56 PM)
Jasper Avenue's Avatar
Whoa this is up on Steam already? Definitely going to check it out.
Slair
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:57 PM)
Slair's Avatar
Relevant: http://warzscam.tumblr.com//
DeaconKnowledge
Banned
(12-17-2012, 11:58 PM)
DeaconKnowledge's Avatar
Didn't someone post an interview with the devs where they swore up and down this wa in no way a cash in on Day Z and just a coincidence? Heh.
Gez
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:59 PM)
Gez's Avatar
This has to be a record on the Steam forums



There is going to be a 40minute video from TotalBiscuit tomorrow on War-Z, needless to say he isn't impressed going by his twitter feed.
legacyzero
Member
(12-17-2012, 11:59 PM)
legacyzero's Avatar
Dat DayZ hype!

I know that Rocket has said that he has no interest in taking these fools to task, but he could AT LEAST make them change the name. That shit is full on SHADY! Even the community hardly understands the difference because of it!
elseanio
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:02 AM)
elseanio's Avatar
Here's a good write up from the Steam Forums: http://steamcommunity.com/app/226700...5216535135621/

War Z - Buyer Beware
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to make an honest post about this game, for those gamers looking at purchasing War Z via Steam. The game has been for sale since August from the main site. The War Z community that has purchased and followed the game already, is divided. There are those who still support the game and Hammerpoint(the developers) through their mishaps and poor choices. The other side of the community feels cheated, lied to, and believes that this game has been a scam.

There is a massive population who would enjoy playing a true Zombie Survivial MMO. Unfortunately this game falls short in all 3 of those words.

◇ Zombie. There are zombies in the game, and is probably the highest selling point for this game. Unfortunately the zombies are pointless in the game. One would think in a Zombie Survival game, your biggest fear would be zombies. This is untrue. Players are your worst enemy, and zombies are there to be filler and annoying at most.

◇ Survival. Yes they added food and water to the game, and you have to find supplies to keep your health replenished. However, your not trying to survive against zombies. Your trying to survive from other players. Simply put. Please don't let the game fool you. This is the truth. You will find that your lured into towns in order to get supplies, but that's where the other people are as well. You'll find that there are campers, server hoppers, and highest of all a high population of hackers.

◇ MMO. Don't let the 100 players fool you as well. Right now the servers sport a MAX population of 50 per server. Battlefield 3 has more than this. This game is far from being an MMO, so beware. You won' t be in a HUGE world with hundreds of people. Instead a map that has 50 people.

◇ Two modes of Play: Normal and Hardcore
- - - False. Hardcore does not work and is not implemented.
◇ Meld of PVE(Player versus Environment) and PVP (Player versus Player)
- - - False. No PVE content. This game will force you into PVP, and there is no PVE. You are looting and scavenging to stay alive against other players. Simple as that.
◇ Up to 100 Players per Game Server
- - - False. MAX right now is 50. If they raise it further, game is over crowded. They already tried this before putting the game on steam.
◇ Dedicated Public Servers as well as Private Servers
- - - False. This feature isn't even in the game yet.

Here is a break down of the topics listed on their main site. It's up to you to decide if you wish to purchase the game to find all of this out.. or not. If you enjoy PVP, you'll probably enjoy it, if you can get past the fact the game is overrun with hackers.

◇ FIRST ZOMBIE MMO

I have a hard time accepting that this game could even be considered an MMO. In the current state, the Colorado map supports 70 players, and you have 200 plus game servers. This is in no way massive multiplayer. Look at the Battlefield series, and it supporting 64 players, and rented game servers. You don't see Battlefield being called an MMOFPS, and why? Because it's not. I think Hammerpoint should re-evaluate this statement, as the only thing that separates it from any regular FPS game, is that there's random items that spawn on the ground that you need to "survive", food/water meter, an inventory, and random low populated zombies in cities. This could be added to any FPS and boom, you have War Z. Do those features make it an MMO?

Don't get me wrong, I understand they state in the FAQ and interviews, that the other maps can handle much more people, in fact up to a maximum of 250 people per the FAQ. However one has to wonder, if the game engine can literally support those size of maps, that amount of players, and that much random items and AI, geometry, etc, in the world. If Colorado can only support 70 players, and that map is 80% plus made up of only forest and trees with nothing in those areas, are the new maps truly going to be able to support that high amount of players at once? Especially the urban maps such as based on a major city? That type of map should be able to house 250 people with how much areas you should be able to explore in a city such as that, however I don't think it could support it. This is just a thought of course, but it has to make you wonder.


◇ NEW GENERATION OF MMO

Now this topic falls into the first one right away, about it not being a true MMO. I think the heavy usage of the term MMO for this game, definitely feels more like bait. Who wouldn't like to play a Zombie MMO? A real Zombie MMO? That's why we all visited War Z, is it not? However continuing, the engine does look good in most aspects, though falls short of a AAA game. There are things that make you bang your head, such as the animations. What's with the crawling animation in 3rd person? The animations definitely need work and to be made for fluid and natural. Also, where's the furniture, and just overall detail in the maps? To say it is a new generation game, and does not include basic features and also a high level of detail - I wonder how in fact it is considered new gen? New or Next Generation to me, means that the game is pushing the limits on the current capabilities, and I have a hard time in understanding how War Z is doing so. The engine is not nothing new, like CryEngine 3 or FrostBite. The graphics are decent, but no where near AAA quality.


◇ HUGE PERSISTENT WORLD

The current map, Colorado, I do admit does feel quite decent in size. To consider it HUGE, no. MMO huge, definitely not. Also when vehicles are added, the map will feel extremely small. The reason it feels so vast right now, is because traveling is slow. I do feel that vehicles would ruin this game, just for that reason, but that's just an opinion. I would like to get around a bit faster, especially when trying to get with friends, however to have vehicles? I'd personally pass on those for more sprint. Or an idea would be to allow energy drinks to make your stamina last longer for duration (boost). Just an idea. Also I have a concern about how they stated the middle paragraph. "As more worlds become available, just switch between them at anytime, without loosing your data or paying world transfer fees". It's stated, to sound like there are massive single shard servers, and you can travel between the different worlds. It's not really based on worlds, it should state you can switch servers at anytime that will be running different maps. This is the same concept as Battlefield or most FPS games, nothing new, so why word it as so.


◇ NO CLASSES, NO LEVELS, AND LEVEL CAPS

This statement for the most part is legit, and there's not much to say. Of course the skills are not yet in the game, and I do hope that if and when the game does "officially release", that they remove this as a listed feature, and mention it in some other section such as upcoming features. Since it's not truly an actual feature of the game, until implemented. Until then, it's simply an idea. Also there's no victory to surviving the longest, but sounds good.


◇ EXPLORE, SCAVENGE, KILL, SURVIVE

I personally enjoy exploration, finding new gear, and also some PVP. However being a huge fan of exploration, I do feel that the statement is false for this game. At first, there is a level of exploration as you check out the different areas of the map. However once you've explored everything, what then? It seems the next step is to simply farm for gear and weapons, because zombies is the least of your worries in this game. In fact, zombies are annoying and seem like filler. They are more like player radar instead. See some zombies running, must be a player around! It's pretty sad honestly, when the whole point of the game, is Zombie Survival. The game overall feels like a FPS deathmatch and free for all, and there just so happens to be random zombies in the game. I also feel that because there is no exploration, aka empty forests, and there's no true reason to explore after a certain point, that it simply promotes camping and farming. Because honestly, what you gonna do? Waste time wandering empty forests and fields that you have had to travel tons of times to get from point A to B? It does sadden me, because I purchased this game based on exploration, scavenging, and more importantly zombies. It seems to be lacking in areas that should be it's strong points. Straight up.


◇ PLAY WITH FRIENDS

Now it's definitely nice clans are finally implemented, it was needed badly. So cheers to them for that. I do hope that they implement a friend system, and if being released on Steam possibly it could be based on that. However which ever way they choose to go, this should be a feature that's added prior to any official release on Steam and hope it's done as so. If you meet someone awesome, who is friendly and you enjoyed playing with, it would be awesome to add them to a friends list, so you can message them and say ' Wanna play?'.
Now the rent servers, I think it's needed for this type of game. But again, I don't think it fits if this game holds the name, MMO. These custom servers add more ways that actually split up the populations even further. Instead of mashing people together on larger servers, your spreading them out.

If you purchase War Z, I do hope you enjoy the game. For those of you who do not, cheers to you and save your money for something else.

Megasoum
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:07 AM)
Megasoum's Avatar
To be fair:

◇ Zombie. There are zombies in the game, and is probably the highest selling point for this game. Unfortunately the zombies are pointless in the game. One would think in a Zombie Survival game, your biggest fear would be zombies. This is untrue. Players are your worst enemy, and zombies are there to be filler and annoying at most.

is true in DayZ also. The zombies are never the real ennemy (just like they are not really the ennemy in Walking Dead). They are a pretext to justify the whole civilization going to shit and people randomly killing each other.

That bein said, those devs still sound shady as fuck.
Herbspicesoy
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:08 AM)

◇ Zombie. There are zombies in the game, and is probably the highest selling point for this game. Unfortunately the zombies are pointless in the game. One would think in a Zombie Survival game, your biggest fear would be zombies. This is untrue. Players are your worst enemy, and zombies are there to be filler and annoying at most.

Shady antics aside, this is the main thing that puts me off from this and Day-Z. I love the concept of a zombie survival MMO, but I get the impression the games are all about griefing other players, instead of actually working together for you know... surviving the zombie apocalypse. Unfortunately this is what people call "hardcore" and want from this type of game.
JacksUsername
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:10 AM)
JacksUsername's Avatar
Have no intention of ever buying this based on everything stated in the OP. Even if you take away the ex-mod's claims, their business practices just scream of quick money grab.

However, I did have fun watching the old thread when the game was in alpha and there was a nice meta-game of trying to catch streams before they were taken down. If I recall correctly, the person who was reporting the streams was also taunting GAF in the chat.
Gez
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:11 AM)
Gez's Avatar

Originally Posted by Megasoum

To be fair:



is true in DayZ also. The zombies are never the real ennemy (just like they are not really the ennemy in Walking Dead). They are a pretext to justify the whole civilization going to shit and people randomly killing each other.

That bein said, those devs still sound shady as fuck.

I actually fear zombies in DayZ more than players.
legacyzero
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:12 AM)
legacyzero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Megasoum

To be fair:



is true in DayZ also. The zombies are never the real ennemy (just like they are not really the ennemy in Walking Dead). They are a pretext to justify the whole civilization going to shit and people randomly killing each other.

That bein said, those devs still sound shady as fuck.

I've been killed by zombies in DayZ more than actual players. Mainly because I'm a dumbass. But I see your point, but also say that PVP is way less of an issue in DayZ.
ultrazilla
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:13 AM)
ultrazilla's Avatar
In Rocket we trust. DayZ all the way for me. This knock off game is too shady.
legacyzero
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:15 AM)
legacyzero's Avatar

Originally Posted by ultrazilla

In Rocket we trust. DayZ all the way for me. This knock off game is too shady.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to jumping back in with my DayZ-GAF bros.
Ysiadmihi
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:16 AM)
Ysiadmihi's Avatar
I just hope the DayZ standalone doesn't run like total dogshit. 5fps on a PC that can breeze through BF3 and Witcher 2 is unacceptable.
fluffydelusions
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:17 AM)
fluffydelusions's Avatar
Is this game worth the asking price on steam?
The M.O.B
important Canuck facts
(12-18-2012, 12:18 AM)
The M.O.B's Avatar

Originally Posted by fluffydelusions

Is this game worth the asking price on steam?

Not from what my buds have said
legacyzero
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:20 AM)
legacyzero's Avatar

Originally Posted by fluffydelusions

Is this game worth the asking price on steam?

I once was running up the side of a cliff face, fell through the map, and then EJECTED into the sky. That's about when I put it down lol

nope.gif

Originally Posted by Ysiadmihi

I just hope the DayZ standalone doesn't run like total dogshit. 5fps on a PC that can breeze through BF3 and Witcher 2 is unacceptable.

Rocket has said that optimization is like his second priority next to hacker prevention
erpg
GAF parliamentarian
(12-18-2012, 12:23 AM)
erpg's Avatar
So how exactly were these guys able to skip Greenlight?
jediyoshi
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:26 AM)
jediyoshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lyphen

So how exactly were these guys able to skip Greenlight?

The publishers probably have an in already having War Inc on steam.
Stitch
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:27 AM)
Stitch's Avatar
Oh wow, the screenshots from the Store Page :O

Someone posted a real screenshot in the Forum lol

btw TotalBiscuit will release a 40 minute WTF is... for this tomorrow.
Grief.exe
Don't stop believin'~~~ hold on to the feeling
(12-18-2012, 12:43 AM)
Grief.exe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stitch

Oh wow, the screenshots from the Store Page :O

Someone posted a real screenshot in the Forum lol



btw TotalBiscuit will release a 40 minute WTF is... for this tomorrow.

That has to be on low.
Truant
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:48 AM)
Truant's Avatar
The game looks hideous even on max seetings. It's like a low-rate Gameloft iOS title at best.
JambiBum
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:49 AM)
JambiBum's Avatar

Originally Posted by Grief.exe

That has to be on low.

It is. I'll post a screenshot of it on high tonight or tomorrow. It looks a lot better than that and a lot better than DayZ (as of right now, no telling how it will be in the standalone). I've put a lot of time into this game so I'm willing to answer any questions someone might have. I disagree with that long steam forums post on some levels but not all. I enjoy my time with the game for what it is right now.
dab0ne
Member
(12-18-2012, 12:53 AM)
dab0ne's Avatar
Theres a dude on the steam forums defending (trolling) the game. It's actually pretty funny because the other dudes are getting pissed.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226700...6536651861/#p2
Stitch
Member
(12-18-2012, 01:00 AM)
Stitch's Avatar

Originally Posted by Grief.exe

That has to be on low.

I don't know. Here are some more.

http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread...s!!!!-Pictures

I wouldn't even pay 2 bucks for this.
Sysgen
Member
(12-18-2012, 01:03 AM)
Sysgen's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slair

Relevant: http://warzscam.tumblr.com//

Valve IMO has a greenlight problem in that some games like Towns for example "are still being developed". Same issue here. Valve are selling beta projects on Steam as finished products. As Valve does not give a shit about it's level of customer service I get the feeling it will be the same here in that it will be up to the developer to label the product as finished and Valve won't enforce any type of standard.
Last edited by Sysgen; 12-18-2012 at 01:07 AM.
EuropeOG
Member
(12-18-2012, 01:05 AM)
EuropeOG's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stitch

btw TotalBiscuit will release a 40 minute WTF is... for this tomorrow.

Can't fucking wait. Gonna be so good.
MacGurcules
Member
(12-18-2012, 01:06 AM)
MacGurcules's Avatar
All of the shady backend nonsense is bad enough and would totally be plenty to put me off a sale. But selling access to an alpha without warning, advertising features that don't exist, and promoting fake screenshots that don't represent the game at all? That's straight up criminal.

People point to Minecraft and say that no one bitched about it being sold as alpha. The difference is, Minecraft was always completely up front about it and it didn't go looking for distribution.

I don't have a problem with taking early money and letting people in on the development. Don't try to trick people, though. Best case, you'll burn up a ton of your goodwill. Worst case, you'll get trade regulation people knocking.

Originally Posted by Sysgen

Valve IMO has a greenlight problem in that some games like Towns for example "are still being developed". Same issue here. Valve are selling beta projects on Steam as finished products. As Valve does not give a shit about it's level of customer service I get the feeling it will be the same here in that it will be up to the developer to label the product as finished and Valve won't enforce any type of standard.

Same problem here. They didn't make it clear that the game wasn't finished and they lost a lot of face for it. The "continually being developed" line is far too soft for what is really being presented. I can see the huge temptation for developers to immediately start pulling in revenue if their game gets approved on Greenlight but shipping incomplete code is a bad plan almost every time. I'd say the primary responsibility is on them, but a lot of collateral reputation damage is bound to hit Valve if this keeps happening.
Last edited by MacGurcules; 12-18-2012 at 01:14 AM.
I speel my dreenk
Member
(12-18-2012, 01:07 AM)
I speel my dreenk's Avatar

Originally Posted by legacyzero

Dat DayZ hype!



I know that Rocket has said that he has no interest in taking these fools to task, but he could AT LEAST make them change the name. That shit is full on SHADY! Even the community hardly understands the difference because of it!

Sort of mind boggling that someone could know the name "Rocket," the developer of a (albeit popular) mod and subsequent unreleased full game, and not know the name of the game itself. Just makes me wonder.
Last edited by I speel my dreenk; 12-18-2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: clarity
Tallshortman
Member
(12-18-2012, 01:07 AM)
Tallshortman's Avatar
Read so many shady things about this game, not gonna touch it with a 12 foot pole.

Thread Tools