• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES Oculus Rift Reactions

I wonder if watching a movie would be akin to watching a movie in a dome IMAX theater? Probably even more so.

I think this thing could totally overshadow nextgen consoles if it catches on. Granted, I'm sure MS and Sony will have their own versions of this soon enough, just like they ended up with their own motion control after the Wii came in and surprised everyone.

From what I've seen, Microsoft's upcoming wall projection thing is a joke in comparison to the Oculus.

red731

I wanted this from the first time I saw it on kickstarter, but now, seeing how different people react, I want to try it so badly and I am thinking of buying the dev kit!
I know I should WAIT for consumer release, but crap, I need this in my life.
I've waited for so long...this was always my dream....

Shut+up.+And+take+my+money_cfca8c_3798744.gif

2013(14), year of the best built PC I have ever owned.

Loofy

For anyone who owns sonys tv headset. Are there any side effects in staring at a screen 3 inches away from your face hours at a time?

DieH@rd

Banned
Watch these uncut reactions from Candid Anthony and friends as they use the Oculus Rift for the first time. This is truly what next gen gaming will be about. If you get a chance to use this at PAX or E3, DO NOT MISS OUT! It's an incredible experience.

Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KJo12Hz_BVI

http://www.stfuandplay.com/video/episode/davis-daily-ces-oculus-rift-reactions#.UPW1ZaGH2dM

Hahaha, they enabled spectators mode. Sensation of flying above that mediaval castle must be insane!

Also, they confirmed that this original developer kit uses screen with 30ms pixel latency. That is really bad. 7" devkit will be better [probably ~14 or 10].

For anyone who owns sonys tv headset. Are there any side effects in staring at a screen 3 inches away from your face hours at a time?

With Oculus you focus your eyes on infinity. Eyes are very relaxed in that state.

iceatcs

It's scary because it will have to new learn to control with the mouse if the cross-aim independently (it will felt like rail shooter gunplay). But that's mean you likely turn your body at least 360 degree will cause problem with wiring.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
From what I've seen, Microsoft's upcoming wall projection thing is a joke in comparison to the Oculus.

They are two completely separate things with totally different objectives. No need to compare.

Zomba13

Hahaha, they enabled spectators mode. Sensation of flying above that mediaval castle must be insane!

Also, they confirmed that this original developer kit uses screen with 30ms pixel latency. That is really bad. 7" devkit will be better [probably ~14 or 10].

Yeah, they said the next models will be better and it'd be a lot better for the consumer version.

Does anyone know the ship eatimates are for those who weren't part of the kickstarter but still preordered the dev kit? I heard the first production run only covered the kickstarter...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I wonder what the target is for the consumer unit.

I was talking about it in a different thread, getting your head lopped off in Chivalry would be a terrifying experience with the Oculus Rift.

Since this is like full peripheral vision can it be set to not do that say if you want to watch a movie? Like the Sony HMZ is like a movie screen can this be set to do that or can it only do peripheral vision like this?

Regardless this looks cool, controlling a character might be difficult it seems but i would have to try it. Next gen consoles have to have this thing be compatible. Hopefully the consumer version is also 300 that would be great.

You could do that in theory. But you would be using less of what is already a low resolution panel. It wouln't be a good idea. Oculus excels at field of view and motion tracking, watching movies negates both of these things.

They are two completely separate things with totally different objectives. No need to compare.

Well, I guess I'm just frustrated that the big guys aren't the ones advancing tech the way I want them to as they have way more money and connections at their disposal. I really disliked the Kinect and feel like the projector thing is another haphazard and ultra casually focused attempt at innovation. Problem is, innovation doesn't usually play it safe.

i really, REALLY hope the nextgen consoles support this thing.

Same. Kinect 2.0 with this would be interesting. Even for a simple demo where you look at environments. If they have it where if you walk in place with kinect that you walk in the game. Also use your legs and hands to move objects around.

If not, I might have to go for something like steam box(if sold at the right price) since I don't have a good pc..

Reallink

I think it's worth $300 just to be able to walk around all the little demo environments that are (and will be) made. Everyone used to pay $5 or $10 in the 90's Arcades to play VR games that didn't even work for 5 minutes.

red731

I will even wear motion tracking balls on the my hands. Three on one finger.
One on tip, one on the middle joint and beggining of the finger.

I would like to INTERACT with stuff by moving my hand and seeing it!

Many people will ly dow.

ed: just the notion of beeing able to operate or open PIPBOY when clicking "it" on "my" forearm....hhhnnggg

whitehawk

Banned
I WANT IT!

Sony and Microsoft should really be taking note. If one of them were to support the Rift, I would buy the console immediately.

Zomba13

Gonna wait to upgrade my PC until I've got this. Really only need to up my GFX card and will get a beefy Nvidia one.

Can't wait to try it. This is where gaming is ultimately headed--true immersion in a virtual environment.

It's a shame I can't experience the technology without actually trying it, but I'd easily spend $200-300 on a consumer version.

And Skyrim is the perfect game to experience something like this. Imagine exploring that world with no screen borders.

Amagon

Games currently with full or partial support:
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Half-Life 2
  • Portal 2
  • Skyrim
  • Mirror's Edge
  • AaaaAAAAA!!!!!!!!
  • Unreal Tournament 3
  • Dear Esther
  • DiRT 2

And Doom 3 of course.

So let me understand something, if I preoder the Oculus Rift Dev kit, these games would work out of the box?

cyberheater

Well, I guess I'm just frustrated that the big guys aren't the ones advancing tech the way I want them to as they have way more money and connections at their disposal. I really disliked the Kinect and feel like the projector thing is another haphazard and ultra casually focused attempt at innovation. Problem is, innovation doesn't usually play it safe.

Yeah. I would imagine there is zero chance that MS or Sony will support this device. Which is a crying shame.

It looks like a really cool piece of tech but I don't understand the appeal. That's not a knock against it but I have been thinking about why so many people are enamored by the idea of wearing a headset like this and having the display be so close to you face.

cyberheater

I want to fly down the starwars deathstar trench wearing these. It would be fecking epic. In fact. Any space game would be truly amazing.

syko de4d

So let me understand something, if I preoder the Oculus Rift Dev kit, these games would work out of the box?

yeahe but never as good as games that develop with VR in mind.

And when over 10.000 Devs (and non Devs who can´t wait for consumer version) have their hands on it you will easily see 40-100 old games supporting OR after 1-2 months :D

This is truly what next gen gaming will be about

Most 2D games would suck on this thing, as would 3D games with fixed cameras. And the super low resolution display would suck as well. And say goodbye to games with local multiplayer - you won't get your entire family to wear these things to play Mario Party or even Dance Central.

For a certain specific niche genre, the Oculus Rift will rock. For everything else, it'll just make the games worse.

Durante

It looks like a really cool piece of tech but I don't understand the appeal. That's not a knock against it but I have been thinking about why so many people are enamored by the idea of wearing a headset like this and having the display be so close to you face.
You don't understand the appeal of virtual reality?
(also, optically, the display isn't close to your face)

Danielsan

But it's not like a display that's really close to your face. Due to the optics and head tracking it's like you're in the game. There are no edges, the game world is all around you.

Wouldn't games that are already built for nVidia 3D Vision be more easily adaptable to the Rift, or are the two a little too separate for that?

red731

This will be total mindfuck for the head. I just can't get over it.
I can tell that someone playing Mirror's Edge will fall forward while doing rolls.

ed: Imagine Alien game, where the Aliens have you prepared for facehugger facehug...or crush your skull with inside mouth.

Durante

Wouldn't games that are already built for nVidia 3D Vision be more easily adaptable to the Rift, or are the two a little too separate for that?
Nope. Stereoscopy is just one of many things that have to be done for Rift integration, and even for that NV's proprietary stuff isn't really usable for anyone else.

Top Bottom