• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft making at least four new IPs

Satchel

Banned
I'm actually expecting a glut of new IPs in the first 2 years.

Its the best time to throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

History says its what MS will do.

I pray there's a platformer in there. With Ratchet games all but gone now (I think) and Banjo seemingly on ice, I need something.

NSMBU is alleviating the withdrawal symptoms, but in only the same way methodone does to a heroine junkie.

mujun

Speak for yourself. I'm tired of generic platformers where all you do is jump around on things. Nuts and Bolts was kind of a bold move forward even if it didn't fully set out what it wanted to do. But I loved the idea and would have loved to see them make another one.

It's also probably in the top 5 best looking 360 games list.

I'm pleased to agree with you!

Elginer

It will be nice to see a stable engine for once with Lionhead. They can focus on the always awesome art and writing.

Karak

I would love it if Lionhead uses the art style from these videos in a game: MightyLight & Mega Meshes.

Agreed. I don't really care what engine they have just as long as their artstyle remains.
I am going to piss off a lot of people when I say I am sort of done with Fable and would love a different game even if they use somewhat the same artstyle. Fable as it began adding guns and all this stuff started to not gel with me. I would love for them to do something like A boy and his Dragon or something very mystical.

TheOddOne

More of an update: Narrative Designer job for Microsoft in Richmond, VA has been filled.

Original job listing:
Job Category:Software Engineering: Creative
Job ID:824217-102207

Reporting to the Narrative Director, a Narrative Designer is responsible for the technical implementation of the game story. The Narrative Designer will be relied upon to collaborate with other designers, artists and writers to implement of story content using game editors and scripting systems as part of the iterative process.

Job Responsibilities:
- Under supervision of Narrative Designer, the Narrative designer is responsible for technical implementation of narrative content.
- Collaborate with other designers to assist in design and implementation of story using game editors and scripting systems.
- Collaborate with external teams to evangelize and champion storytelling outlined by the Creative Director.
- Collaborate with art team on environmental storytelling to support the Narrative Director''s vision.

Work Experience:
- Two years of technical game design experience.
- Preferably shipped at least one AAA title as a narrative designer.
- Education, Professional Training, Technical Training or Certification:
- B.A. degree preferred, or equivalent game design experience or scripting experience.

Knowledge/Skills:
- Experience using a scripting language is a must.
- Game writing ability
- Understand techniques to elicit player emotion.
- Familiarity with concept art creation and storyboarding.
- Knowledge of cinematic techniques.
- Experience working with art team on cinematic development.

Other Requirements:
- Strong interest in computer and video games.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Passion for First-person shooters.
- Excellent Communication and Collaboration skills
- Experience with game editors and scripting systems
- Excellent Organizational skills; self-motivated.
- In-depth knowledge of industry trends in interactive storytelling
So, what is notable about this?

A) There is no MS studio in Richmond as far as I know;
B) Back when LA studio wasn't announced, they started searching for people already and gave away the location. My guess they let it slip again through job listings.

Dusky

Agreed. I don't really care what engine they have just as long as their artstyle remains.
I am going to piss off a lot of people when I say I am sort of done with Fable and would love a different game even if they use somewhat the same artstyle. Fable as it began adding guns and all this stuff started to not gel with me. I would love for them to do something like A boy and his Dragon or something very mystical.

Couldn't agree more. After Fable 3 happened I'm done with this series.

Holding out for a new IP. Would be great to see now that Molyneux left as I thought he was holding the studio back slightly.

It'll probably be a Fable MMO.

TheOddOne

There is a technical development studio in Richmond I believe. Could be wrong.
Interesting.

Oh hey look, another Codie. I have no idea whats going on, anymore.

jyKAJ4ATgkvrf.png

Karak

Interesting.

Oh hey look, another Codie. I have no idea whats going on, anymore.

jyKAJ4ATgkvrf.png

That is a severe ramp up but actually bothers me a bit for Codemasters who I love.
If it is for a technical development studio than it is probably engine creation and not full game dev.

Biggzy

MS got burned when they bought rare and the talent all left. Looks like now they're buying Codies without actually having to buy them.

I was just making a sarcastic comment. They are definitely working on a racing title that is for sure, or a title that has a racing component.

abadguy

Banned

Probably in the minority on this but i really liked the steampunk aesthetic of Fable 3. If anything kind of annoyed me it's that while most of the "magical" elements of the Fable universe have been giving way to more technology, it was never really addressed in game. Some sort of magic vs technology theme would have been great, imo.

Just rename Rare already to codingRare

RareCODE

JaggedSac

Having just purchased Dirt 2 during the current sale, I am quite happy to see Rare grabbing their talent. They make some smooth playing stuff.

Ushae

Banned
Very much agree with u Karak on fable being a weak franchise. It had that spark in its first iteration, but has diluted it since with each sequal. I think Lionhead should do a different RPG or maybe even a strategy game?? New gen is the best time to see what works.

Black & White 3?

Doffen

The fact that Fable 3 (for Xbox) sold more than Fable 2 makes me sad.

Top Bottom