• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: PS4 to utilize Gaikai, have expanded social features, and no "Cell" chip

Soriku

Via Gematsu

http://gematsu.com/2013/02/nikkei-ps4-to-utilize-gaikai-have-expanded-social-features

Another PlayStation 4 report is in from Nikkei.

According to the Japanese outlet, the network function of PlayStation 4 will be expanded, including a new social feature where you can exchange opinions among your friends while playing games.

The system is said to utilize Gaikai cloud technology, which Sony purchased for $380 million in the summer of last year.

Echoing previous reports, the outlet claims the Sony developed “Cell” chip loaded onto the PlayStation 3 will not be included in PlayStation 4, and that it’ll arrive by the holidays.

PlayStation 4 is expected to be revealed during PlayStation Meeting 2013 in New York City on February 20. Its controller will supposedly have a touch pad.

I guess no Cell chip is a given. I wish certain games were on PSN (Tales, SO4, RoF, etc.) to utilize Gaikai since I bet that's what they'll do. Hopefully there's no monthly/yearly fee to use it. Would prefer a BC add-on that has the Cell chip though.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
including a new social feature where you can exchange opinions among your friends while playing games

Sounds interesting and original.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Well we already knew there was no Cell chip but it doesn beg to question how will PS4 run BC for PS3 games and more importantly PSN games? Also, why is all of this info leaking from Japan all of a sudden!?

copying miiverse ??

I didn't know giving opinions about a game was copying Miiverse. Somebody better get on the horn and tell Steam to take down their Community tab too.

Tagg9

2NGTo.gif

rouken

Gaikai feature would be behind a paywall right?

Well we already knew there was no Cell chip but it doesn beg to question how will PS4 run BC for PS3 games and more importantly PSN games? Also, why is all of this info leaking from Japan all of a sudden!?

Remaster Edition. PSN Greatest Hits Collection Vol 1.

neptunes

Via Gematsu

http://gematsu.com/2013/02/nikkei-ps4-to-utilize-gaikai-have-expanded-social-features

I guess no Cell chip is a given. I wish certain games were on PSN (Tales, SO4, RoF, etc.) to utilize Gaikai since I bet that's what they'll do. Hopefully there's no monthly/yearly fee to use it. Would prefer a BC add-on that has the Cell chip though.
How are they going to recoup the amount invested to buy the service? Nevermind the amount to run and maintain it. They're going to want to see some kind of return.

I see them putting it behind PSN+ at the very least.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wasn't there a rumor of having a backwards compatible expansion dongle for the PS4?

There's a patent for it but I wouldn't take that as any real evidence. Sony patents a ton of random crap that they never use. I hope that happens though. It would be a good solution.

Wasn't there a rumor of having a backwards compatible expansion dongle for the PS4?

There was a patent iirc. Whether they're developing it is another matter.

I don't understand why Gaikai would be needed to do such a thing? $380 million for community features seems pretty deep :lol

Whatever they're using Gaikai for, it won't be free. No chance.
Fine so long as online multiplayer stays free and everyone has access to crossgame partychat. They better do something about the BC issue. A dongle that can be purchased optionally would be great if it keeps the PS4 below $399.

I don't really think this is conclusive.

Honestly, they will have to do something, since digital PS3 games still run off of Cell. If you can't even play digital PS3 titles that you bought off of PSN, there will be riots.

For this reason, I take this "news" with a grain of salt until Sony themselves affirm or deny it.

Shayan

Banned
now Nikkei is a very credible source

Gaikai is given since cloud gaming/computing is the future. good initiative from SONY

i-Lo

I have never put money toward PS+ but I have heard a lot of good things about it recently. Especially how its strength lies in being a content based service. If Gaikai and PS+ are tied then functionality will be also brought into the fold. Depending upon how ancillary or otherwise these features will be, I shall be subscribing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't really think this is conclusive.

Honestly, they will have to do something, since digital PS3 games still run off of Cell. If you can't even play digital PS3 titles that you bought off of PSN, there will be riots.

For this reason, I take this "news" with a grain of salt until Sony themselves affirm or deny it.

Nikkei leaks are pretty much the most credible info you can get outside of official statements. It doesn't rule out BC in all capacities, it just means that native hardware BC is out.

Supposedly that's going to be there with some button on the controller that takes screens.
I know. I was just saying that that's the good kind of expanded social features.

spwolf

i would not be surprised if Gaikai is for new games, not PS3 games. And lets Vita, Xperia, Bravia and Vaio play Playstation games for a rental fee.

Top Bottom