• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: PS4 to utilize Gaikai, have expanded social features, and no "Cell" chip

artist

Banned
copying miiverse ??
jurassickazxiu1c.gif

courtesy: vagabond

jondabomb

I've been curious for a while now how Sony would utilize the gaikai assets they bought. I'm going to guess that Sony is going to push ps+ even more for the ps4 and that it won't be mandatory, but that there will be a lot more features that will be exclusive to it similar to cloud saves on the ps3.

Hopefully there's no monthly/yearly fee to use it.

LOL. Gaikai streaming services of games, demos, videos, etc will all have a fee.

I do think that, if PSN games are not transfarable, my interest in PS4 diminishes greatly.

That is if Monkey Island, Dead Nation, or Braid is not playable on PS4 then I might not buy the system until 4 years down the line. I forgave them not having that for PSV, even though they should have, but I won't forgive them if they don't have them that for PS4.

Gaikai feature would be behind a paywall right?

Yep.

well this went downhill

come on guys Wii U + PS4 is the only future. :p

I currently have 0 interest in the wiiu.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why mention the Cell at all?
Gaikai has been long thought about by gamers as a way to do BC, same will Cell
And we have a article here saying nothing about BC but is implying PS4 doesn't have a Cell chip and uses Gaikai but for what?
Seems a bit random

Would be an interesting mix of negatives with if MS launched with no used games and BC and Sony did the opposite. I guess at least the Sony wouldn't be doing in an anticonsumer manner, but it's sucks that no one seems to be able to launch a console without some huge feature missing.

Damn, this console warz stuff is annoying.

Feb 20. A day that will live in Gaf infamy.

Sissel

LOL. Gaikai streaming services of games, demos, videos, etc will all have a fee.

I do think that, if PSN games are not transfarable, my interest in PS4 diminishes greatly.

That is if Monkey Island, Dead Nation, or Braid is not playable on PS4 then I might not buy the system until 4 years down the line. I forgave them not having that for PSV, even though they should have, but I won't forgive them if they don't have them that for PS4.

I currently have 0 interest in the wiiu.
that is the dumbest shit I've heard in a while. No offense. LOL.

Erethian

No cell chip meaning no hardware BC for PS3 games? Eh, not too sure if I'm too hot on that.

This has been inevitable for a while, and only more so once the leaked specs came in. It's too expensive to do hardware-based backwards compatibility (if PS2 components in the PS3 for hardware-based BC ended up being too expensive, the PS4 having Cell had no chance), and presumably that is part of the reason why they bought Gaikai.

I'd rather have a $400 console where people can also buy a PS3 if they want BC, rather than everyone being forced to spend $500+ upfront.

The logic behind this is laughable. You do realize that in 2006 the Cell cost $89? Its much less now. All Sony would have had to do is make one lesser model that didn't include it, and then "a delux" model that includes it for a premium. It would hardly be "forcing" everyone to pay more, instead it would give you an option on whether you wanted to get BC or not.

Just because you wouldn't use it doesn't mean it wouldn't hinder the console for others. I know that a PS4 that can play PS1-2-3 games would literally be the ultimate console for me; no way I'm getting at launch if there is no decent BC, especially with all the great PS3 titles coming out.

Ugh, is it the 20th yet? Two more weeks of this...

You can pretty much take 99.9% of Nikkei leaks seriously. The only time I ever remember them being off was installing 3ds games to the sd card and that could have been a mistranslation for playing DD games off the SD card.

As for the "copying" shit, that probably is the most annoying thing I see fanboys of all companies doing. Who gives a shit if they copied Miiverse if they make it better? Nothing in life is original at this point.

that is the dumbest shit I've heard in a while. No offense. LOL.

Because I want to play the PSN games I purchased on the PS4? That's pretty stupid of you to think that it's okay for your downloadable purchases to be nontransferable, but to each their own.

UberTag

I'm quite interested in seeing how Sony handles BC without there being a CELL chip in the PS4.
Streaming via Gaikai ala OnLive behind a Plus paywall seems to be the likeliest scenario.
That would probably only work for digital titles linked to one's PSN/SEN account, however.
Not holding out much hope for BC to physical media without the Cell in play.

I'd rather have a $400 console where people can also buy a PS3 if they want BC, rather than everyone being forced to spend $500+ upfront.

Sony should eat the cost and have BC in the PS4. They can make the money back and more in the long run by users purchasing PS3 PSN content.

The question is what will happen to your physical PS3 games? Will there be some "conversion" program like with UMDs? Will it be that half-assed?

Sissel

Because I want to play the PSN games I purchased on the PS4? That's pretty stupid of you to think that it's okay for your downloadable purchases to be nontransferable, but to each their own.
I just found it funny that not being able to play those games would make it a deal breaker for you. But yeah if you're talking your entire library, I guess its more reasonable.

Again, give users a choice to account for both demographics. I don't understand why this is so difficult for Sony to fathom. In a way I find it hilarious that Sony has abandoned a strong factor in making the PS2 the best selling home console of all time.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm quite interested in seeing how Sony handles BC without there being a CELL chip in the PS4.
Does it really need it though?
The chips was included before because for example PS2's bandwidth vs PS3's
Thats not the case this time is it the PS4 pretty much matches and exceeds? it can be software emulated can't it?

noobasuar

Banned
Not having backwards compatility for retail games is one thing but not being able to transfer over your psn purchases would be a grave mistake for Sony. Espacailly if there's full bc with Durango. I'd almost go as far as to say that would almost guarantee a Microsoft victory from the very beginning.

Also gaiki is not a suitable replacement for bc.

Orayn

Does it really need it though?
The chips was included before because for example PS2's bandwidth vs PS3's
Thats not the case this time is it? it can be software emulated can't it?

With the current hardware? Not easily.

Game Guru

So... let me get this straight...

Sony = No PS3 Games
Microsoft = No Used Games
Nintendo = No Third Party Games

Well, this is certainly an optimistic start for the eighth generation of consoles. -_-'

Top Bottom