• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: PS4 to utilize Gaikai, have expanded social features, and no "Cell" chip

Replicant

i wonder if everyone will smash their PS3 once they buy PS4.

I don't get this desire for backward compatibility either. My PS3 is still functioning well so I don't want to pay extra for essentially the same thing that I already own. And I know from past experience that despite buying all of those HD remaster of games, I never actually have the time to play them or the desire to play them because by then I think the graphic is already outdated.

Also, copying Miiverse my ass. It's like Home or other social-based initiatives never existed before Miiverse.

I don't get this desire for backward compatibility either. My PS3 is still functioning well so I don't want to pay extra for essentially the same thing that I already own. And I know from past experience that despite buying all of those HD remaster of games, I never actually have the time to play them or the desire to play them because by then I think the graphic is already outdated.

Also, copying Miiverse my ass. It's like Home or other social-based initiatives never existed before Miiverse.

I want to be able to play my PSN purchases on the next console. Why shouldn't I be able to?

The biggest reason I would want BC is just for good feeling in the future because eventually my PS3 will break down and it would be nice if the PS4 could play those games. It's certainly not worth compromising the PS4 hardware and its future by making it more expensive though.

I want to be able to play my PSN purchases on the next console. Why shouldn't I be able to?

Now PSN purchases are another thing. If Sony doesn't transfer digital purchases their whole system is fucked. Even Nintendo got that much right.

fernoca

In the comments of the ps blog one of the editors(?) said ps+ wasn't going anywhere. I find it hard to believe they'd keep this system that gives you free games and not allow anyone to access them on a new console. Maybe it's reading to much into it or wishful thinking
or both.
but it makes sense to me.
To be fair, the service is just that..the service. They promised those games to work on PS3, not on every hardware after the PS3. Same as Vita with PSP/PSone games; not everything you own digitally through Plus/PSN can be played on it.

In my case, no BC is no biggie; though I understand why some may be dissapointed. Heck, many were pissed off when Nintendo removed the GBA slot on the DSi..and that was years after the DS/DSlite was on the market or the Wii with GCN games; or even the same Sony when they removed PS2 BC. In this case, they haven't said anything yet; so who knows.

If anything I expect it like the Vita. Were a good chuck works; but mostly digital games.

The Gaikai-side of things, will keep an eye out. One thing I like on the Wii U/Miiverse is that the implementation in-games feels like Twitter; with quick messages/suggestions. While the community/browser side is more like a forum, were you can post pictures of specific areas of either screen, or just post/draw random things. Developers have also said that hey like it, as they can see more directly the reaction of people either postives or negatives; and even check for reported bugs/problems faster.

So; will depend on how well it's implemented. The PS3 had a big problem (at least to me) were eveything was disjointed (Home ,chat, online, gaming were all separate things of each other); so there was no feel of community with anything online related.

krizzx

So... let me get this straight...

Sony = No PS3 Games
Microsoft = No Used Games
Nintendo = No Third Party Games

Well, this is certainly an optimistic start for the eighth generation of consoles. -_-'

What are you talking about? The problem with the Wii U now is that there are nothing but third party games and only 2 Nintendo made games.

Norml

"Copying" Miiverse is a great idea. It's one of the most innovative features to hit a dedicated console in a long time and I'd love to see Sony integrate it into their OS. They're not as conservative as Nintendo so hopefully it's distinct.

Cloud gaming, despite what many say, is far from being the future. Why would I want to play games with compressed audio/video output as well as high latency? It's definitely not something I want as a main feature for a home console and I'd rather the developers dedicate their resources on the more crucial aspects of a console.

Here is Assassin's Creed Brotherhood from a Digital Foundry article last year.Looks good enough to me with only lag needing to get better.

In all of the games we've tried the graphics settings are generally set to maximum (or thereabouts), with high levels of texture filtering present and with 8x multi-sampling anti-aliasing (MSAA) enabled.
SaXt2aP.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-off-gaikai-vs-onlive

jondabomb

I've been curious for a while now how Sony would utilize the gaikai assets they bought. I'm going to guess that Sony is going to push ps+ even more for the ps4 and that it won't be mandatory, but that there will be a lot more features that will be exclusive to it similar to cloud saves on the ps3.

Jtrizzy

Again, what is the streaming quality going to be like? I tried Onlive or Gakai once and wasn't very impressed. Granted it was Witcher 2 and I was comparing it to the native pc with most settings maxed (no uber sampling of course)

Edit: missed that post above.

Vamphuntr

What are you talking about? The problem with the Wii U now is that there are nothing but third party games and only 2 Nintendo made games.

He meant stuff like Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Lightning Returns, GTA V and so on. The big AAA games of the year.

Great so we have to rebuy PS3 games all over again. SUPER HD REMASTERS and PS+ premium I guess. Used games will be void next gen too.

Ydahs

More like fully integrated and fleshed out Playstation Home.
I don't think Sony will go with the Home approach anymore. It had potential, but it was poorly executed and as a social platform, it pales in comparison to what's offered by Miiverse. Having a dedicated social network with each PS4 game representing a section is a lot better than having to control an avatar in a social world. If integrated well, I'd assume a lot more people would use it too.

Jtrizzy

from the DF article:

The internet connection used in testing is an "up to" 20mbps ADSL line in Brighton, with SpeedTest.net's London server suggesting download speeds of 16.25mbps and an upload stream of 0.87mbps.

yeah, most people don't have nearly that download speed in the US.

spwolf

because it will be cheaper for you to play it over your PS3 than to pay extra for every ps4 to have backwards compatibility. I am not so sure that there is much different between PSN games and full PS3 games at all.

People saying no problem to BC don't understand this means that you don't have access to your digital PSN purchases. This is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

spwolf

from the DF article:

yeah, most people don't have nearly that download speed in the US.

it also says it requires 4Mbs.... not 20.

Problem is not the bandwith but latency... it wont be for everyone, but it will be for many. However it wont be free and most likely it will have nothing to do with PS3 at all.

because it will be cheaper for you to play it over your PS3 than to pay extra for every ps4 to have backwards compatibility. I am not so sure that there is much different between PSN games and full PS3 games at all.

A digital transfer system that doesn't work cross generationally is worthless and will destroy any consumer trust people had in the system. That's even worse than Nintendo's account system. The whole aspect of buying digitally is this kind of convenience.

So no BC?

Hopefully not.

I don't think Sony will go with the Home approach anymore. It had potential, but it was poorly executed and as a social platform, it pales in comparison to what's offered by Miiverse. Having a dedicated social network with each PS4 game representing a section is a lot better than having to control an avatar in a social world. If integrated well, I'd assume a lot more people would use it too.

You haven't used Home in a while, have you?

Mifune

Mehmber
People saying no problem to BC don't understand this means that you don't have access to your digital PSN purchases. This is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

No BC is a slap in the face to anyone who gives a shit about preserving video games. The flippant attitude I'm seeing here is depressing.

Are people really okay with games just disappearing from existence as time goes on?

So no BC?

No PS3 BC. But that was to be expected, anyway.

Hoping MS doesn't follow this trend for the 360, but I'm not getting my hopes up either.

Looks like Nintendo is the only one who gives a shit now about small stuff like used games or BC from the previous gen. You know...INCONSEQUENTIAL stuff.

Replicant

For the hundred millionth time, PSN games are programmed no different than PS3 full titles.

Then play it on your PS3? Why would you want to pay extra just to play it on PS4? I don't have sentimentality over old games though so YMMV. I like them enough but the chances of me wanting to replay them again as the gen progress usually is pretty slim.

No PS3 BC. But that was to be expected, anyway.

Hoping MS doesn't follow this trend for the 360, but I'm not getting my hopes up either.

Looks like Nintendo is the only one who gives a shit now about small stuff like used games or BC from the previous gen. You know...INCONSEQUENTIAL stuff.

LOL, you can't be more transparent even if you try.

spwolf

The used game issue is settled, the always online thing however...

Sony's Jack Tretton "Totally Opposed to Blocking Used Games"

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...retton-Totally-Opposed-to-Blocking-Used-Games

it will not be settled until they officially say so... big money is involved and who knows what will happen at the end.

I feel it for the retail industry but the same time f* them for not allowing Sony to price downloads lower, we all still remember Warhawk.

I think we would all be more likely to accept no used games if price for downloadable games was $40 or less.

No BC is a slap in the face to anyone who gives a shit about preserving video games. The flippant attitude I'm seeing here is depressing.

Are people really okay with games just disappearing from existence as time goes on?

Because in their mind it forgettable because they'll be focused on next gen titles

Then play it on your PS3? Why would you want to pay extra just to play it on PS4? I don't have sentimentality over old games though so YMMV. I like them enough but the chances of me wanting to replay them again as the gen progress usually is pretty slim.

Ok, then why in the world should anyone ever buy a Sony game digitally?

Including hardware BC in the console would be a sign that Sony's learned nothing from the PS3 launch. People want an affordable box, first and foremost. As much as we'd love a cutting edge PS4 with a PS3 built-in for $299, it's not going to happen.

Squire

Banned

Beause when you bought them, you bought them to play on PS3. Or PSP. Or Vita. Maybe even a combination of the two!

But nowhere was it or is it stated, promised, or even hinted that they'll work on PS4,

You got what you payed for. The deal is done. Sony doesn't owe you.

Like I said a fully fleshed out integrated Playstation Home.

Yeah, I don't get why people keep treating these as different things. One is just a disc and the other runs off your hard drive. Either both are going to work or neither right?

I still think they'll have BC. It's stupid not to unless they 100% KNOW MS won't have it.

Maybe those 4CU's are more powerful than I thought.

Yes, turn on my PS3 and use the limited and more slow PSN and OS.

Including hardware BC in the console would be a sign that Sony's learned nothing from the PS3 launch. People want an affordable box, first and foremost. As much as we'd love a cutting edge PS4 with a PS3 built-in for $299, it's not going to happen.

I would happily pay $50-100 more for optional hardware BC. But it seems people would rather spend that money for cloud BC which will be worse.

Having any kind of PS3 hardware in the box prevents slimming down the hardware for revisions.

Unfortunately, you need some PS3 hardware in the box for even some inaccurate software emulation...Sony can't make a purely software-based PS3 emulator at this stage.

Beause when you bought them, you bought them to play on PS3. Or PSP. Or Vita. Maybe even a combination of the two!

But nowhere was it or is it stated, promised, or even hinted that they'll work on PS4,

You got what you payed for. The deal is done. Sony doesn't owe you.

Well the market doesn't owe them anything either, so I guess I won't be buying anything digitally on PS4, will make a nice companion with my Nintendo systems not buying things digitally.

Ydahs

Like I said a fully fleshed out integrated Playstation Home.
But if it follows the footsteps of Miiverse or Steam Communities then it'll be nothing like Home? The only thing they have in common is the fact that they're social.

Here is Assassin's Creed Brotherhood from a Digital Foundry article last year.Looks good enough to me with only lag needing to get better.

SaXt2aP.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-off-gaikai-vs-onlive

Imgur compresses uploaded images, so it's not the best host to use in this case.

That article also proves what I've been saying. I can't imagine many here wanting a cloud based future anytime soon, since it's a step back in IQ and completely removes one out of the game once lag occurs or artifacts start appearing in detailed and fast moving scenes. Imagine playing Gran Turismo, enjoying the scenery as you're in first place only to have the connection hiccup, causing you to steering yourself straight into a wall. How about Uncharted? Running through the jungles on to have artifacts all over the place due to the amount of detail on the screen at any given time?

I dunno man, it's like having 'always on DRM' without the DRM.

Squire

Banned
Well the market doesn't owe them anything either, so I guess I won't be buying anything digitally on PS4, will make a nice companion with my Nintendo systems not buying things digitally.

You're absolutely right. My point is simply that people act like b/c is this unspoken promise and it's not.

Jtrizzy

it also says it requires 4Mbs.... not 20.

Problem is not the bandwith but latency... it wont be for everyone, but it will be for many. However it wont be free and most likely it will have nothing to do with PS3 at all.

I missed that part, but still many, many people's speed is 2.0 mbps. That is sort of the baseline from what I've seen. Many DSL connections are only 1.0, which is fine for online gaming and surfing the net if you are the only one using the connection.

This will be for games that are 720p30 and under pretty much.

My guess has always been Gaikai based BC...at a future time to be confirmed, for select titles, and US only to begin with.

Something like that.

BC isn't a big deal, it would probably just make me jump in earlier.

PSN purchases is an entirely different thing. If they can emulate PS and PS2 games on PS3, I'm sure they can do the same for existing PSN titles on PS4.
It actually isn't. Digital ps3 games use the same hardware that disk ps3 games use. If its actually impossible for the ps4 hardware to run ps3, say bye to psn games.

Top Bottom