• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: PS4 to utilize Gaikai, have expanded social features, and no "Cell" chip

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This has been inevitable for a while, and only more so once the leaked specs came in. It's too expensive to do hardware-based backwards compatibility (if PS2 components in the PS3 for hardware-based BC ended up being too expensive, the PS4 having Cell had no chance), and presumably that is part of the reason why they bought Gaikai.

Thing is gaikai is going to be severely limited in places with slow internet and bandwidth caps, like Australia.

gbovo

Probably inspired/encouraged by it.

Steam/Vita were probably bigger encouragements.
Wii U only came out ~3 months ago. I highly doubt Sony would whip up any social gaming features in 3 moths, if they were waiting around to see what Nintendo does in an online capacity.

So... let me get this straight...

Sony = No PS3 Games
Microsoft = No Used Games
Nintendo = No Third Party Games

Well, this is certainly an optimistic start for the eighth generation of consoles. -_-'

I would take no PS3 games over no used games and no third party support.

Also, think of the ULTRA HD REMAKES!

Batman

Banned
No way will it be backwards compatible, they learned their mistake when they included it on some PS3's because now they know they can keep up production of PS3's for years and will continue to make more money.

tokkun

It is possible they can do software emulation to do backwards compatibility

Probably not. Some aspects of the Cell architecture, such as the SPEs and the memory bus/interconnect, are very challenging to emulate. I do not think it is technically feasible on the rumored PS4 hardware.

Ponn

Banned
Though ive already accepted ps4 wont have BC im just not excited by Gaikai BC streaming unless it can somehow recognize physical ps3 games you put in including the whole catalog. Some games like Valkyria chronicles are not DD. Plus DLC would be problematic. If you have a sizable ps3 library you plan on keeping and playing its best to plan on keeping your ps3.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I never understood why they don't put a high speed bus to connect to a BC module. Win for everyone.

Jtrizzy

Very skeptical of the quality that we would get streaming games like this. Many people would only be able to do 720p, I don't even know how frame rates would be effected? I'm assuming it would use more bandwidth for 60 fps games. It's safe to assume most people using this will have a 2 mbps dl speed and that really isn't enough.

Erethian

Thing is gaikai is going to be severely limited in places with slow internet and bandwidth caps, like Australia.

Oh, definitely. I'm not saying it's an ideal solution or anything, just that they've painted themselves into a corner on being able to deliver comprehensive, effective backwards compatibility.

Game Guru

Also, think of the ULTRA HD REMAKES!

To be fair, so would I, but then I don't actually own a PS3 only a 360 and Wii. I did own a PS1 and a PS2 and if they have PS1 and PS2 BC, I might not even care that they can't play PS3 games, but cutting off your digital library is a very bad idea, especially if Sony is even thinking about going the "no used games" route like MS is rumored to be doing. I might accept no backwards compatibility, but not if I can't sell the games I had for the previous system.

Of course, I'll get a Wii U at some point because I am a damn sucker for Nintendo games.

Derrick01

Banned

Agreed. You know what I did with my PS2 and games at the start of this gen? Sold it to fund a purchase of a 360 and a slew of launch games. I have no use for last gen games when a new generation starts. Out of all the "problems" to have I'll gladly take no BC.

With how this generation went it'll be even easier to discard it.

Honestly why? If it starts off with no BC its not being added back later, so you will always have to keep the PS3 around.
An excuse to not buy. Where are these people who don't own a
Ps3. Must be the same one that are waiting for $200 or less on it so makes sense not to get ps4

Orayn

Or not at all. Proper software-based emulation is incredibly resource intensive, just look at what it takes to run BSNES in accuracy mode.

Yeah, LLE is completely out of the question and I still don't think that HLE is feasible. There's just not enough horsepower for that.

Honestly why? If it starts off with no BC its not being added back later, so you will always have to keep the PS3 around.

ps4's library will start off pathetic just like like every videogame system at launch ever, having bc would surely help with the inevitable software drought. Why pay $400+ for a system with no games when you can just keep your ps3 around until the new system's price falls and it has a chance to build up an actual library worth paying for? Sounds pretty logical to me.

I have no use for last gen games when a new generation starts.

So as soon as a new generation starts, all the games from previous generations are obsolete? I can't believe there are actual people who could hold this view...

My beer is ready.

copying miiverse ??

tumblr_lh8gh6u84p1qb7vhzb3.gif

In the comments of the ps blog one of the editors(?) said ps+ wasn't going anywhere. I find it hard to believe they'd keep this system that gives you free games and not allow anyone to access them on a new console. Maybe it's reading to much into it or wishful thinking
or both.
but it makes sense to me.

Found it.
cz8iOvO.png

On-topic: I don't think my PS3 is going anywhere anytime soon so no bc isn't a big deal for me.

Jtrizzy

Can't say I care about PS3 BC myself, in fact I'd like to actually play some of these games at 1080p60 so an HD remake is fine by me. The old games I actually want to play (for the most part) can be emulated fairly easily or the superior version is already on PC. The WiiU is the one console that I want BC, although I also want HD remakes with no waggle. I think the games even look a little better in the WiiU like Galaxy and DKCR.

I'm actually more concerned about my video store purchases, I definitely won't be having both hooked to watch stuff. I knew I shouldn't have bought stuff from that store, but it's so hard to resist from the couch.

Because there is literally nothing to play until the gen takes off in a couple of years. BC remedies this problem for early adopters.

I could understand this...if you never owned a PS3. If you do than the argument is literally you're not buying it for space reasons because the PS4 is still going to have a shit lineup regardless of BC or not. So you're just replacing your existing PS3 with a PS4 and pretending like it has something to play. At that point, why would you even buy the system to begin with?

Derrick01

Banned
So as soon as a new generation starts, all the games from previous generations are obsolete? I can't believe there are actual people who could hold this view...

You know how many ps2 games I played this gen? Not HD remakes, actual PS2 games when I had a 60gb for the first 5 years. No more than 5 and most of them I didn't even bother finishing (again). I tend to move on.

It's a bit different on Steam since I constantly have Thief and Deus Ex and so many other greats staring me in the face every day.

I'm so surprised Nikkie saying no cell chip.. I'm guessing the same conversation about BC has been happening in japan. Its a big shame and is totally upsetting, but for some reason they didn't just write no PS3 support. Which leaves things open for either Gaikai or software emulation.

genjiZERO

Honestly, I have barely used BC in two generations now. I'm much more concerned with PSN games. I still play Lumines constantly.

spwolf

I'm so surprised Nikkie saying no cell chip.. I'm guessing the same conversation about BC has been happening in japan. Its a big shame and is totally upsetting, but for some reason they didn't just write no PS3 support. Which leaves things open for either Gaikai or software emulation.

it is 5 sentence article :)

i wonder if everyone will smash their PS3 once they buy PS4.

Sissel

I could understand this...if you never owned a PS3. If you do than the argument is literally you're not buying it for space reasons because the PS4 is still going to have a shit lineup regardless of BC or not. So you're just replacing your existing PS3 with a PS4 and pretending like it has something to play. At that point, why would you even buy the system to begin with?
yup.

Ydahs

"Copying" Miiverse is a great idea. It's one of the most innovative features to hit a dedicated console in a long time and I'd love to see Sony integrate it into their OS. They're not as conservative as Nintendo so hopefully it's distinct.

Cloud gaming, despite what many say, is far from being the future. Why would I want to play games with compressed audio/video output as well as high latency? It's definitely not something I want as a main feature for a home console and I'd rather the developers dedicate their resources on the more crucial aspects of a console.

Quasar

I just don't think it will even be offered here. Not due to speed issues or caps (which I don't have in Australia) but simply the latency of using US servers or the cost of running a set of local servers. Same with lots of other countries with smaller populations.

And you know I'm not sure I want local servers. Most of my online game playing friends are outside Australia. That's why in MMOs I always used servers my US based friends used.

Top Bottom