• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Watch Dogs' Wii U: Tablet use undecided[Ubisoft's Bucharest]

Malvingt2

Watch Dogs on Wii U will be feature comparable with other versions, Ubisoft Montreal has said.

Senior producer Dominic Guay said all the game's "core" social features - such as allowing users to access other players' worlds through smartphones - will be possible on the Nintendo platform.

While Wii U tablet features have been to be decided, Guay said that the game's themes of hacking with mobile devices is a "natural" fit for the controller.

"We're still investigating how we'll use the tablet on the Wii U, but with the things I mentioned before, for us it's not going to be a weird stretch," he said.

"It's natural. What's really cool with Watch Dogs, when we start thinking of those devices, it's not a weird abstraction, it's not like I'm a space alien and now I'm using a tablet. Why am I doing that?

"Aiden Pearce is using a device to control the city, so it's quite easy to imagine what we could do with that."

He added that porting duties are currently being handled by Ubisoft's Bucharest studio, and that the game is "'already running" on the system.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...se-undecided-offers-same-social-features.html

Watch Dogs is “already running” on Wii U, thanks to the porting work of Ubisoft Bucharest (Romania). The team previously developed the PC version of Assassin’s Creed III and helped out on Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

http://nintendoeverything.com/11416...epad-for-watch-dogs-made-by-bucharest-studio/

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Undecided seems like they'll leave the screen black...while in the interview he states that

"Aiden Pearce is using a device to control the city, so it's quite easy to imagine what we could do with that."

so, I think that they use it to reproduce the interface of that device.

Okay. Thought from the title they hadn't done anything with it yet, sounds like its in the process of development so theres no decision yet.

Will be very disappointed if its token though.

Derrick01

Banned
So ~8 months from release and they still haven't decided what they want to do with the tablet? That feels like proof it will be some tacked on crap no one cares about. They already had plans in place for how they're going to use the PS4 touch pad.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Isn't this the game they've shown to use in conjunction with tablet apps and shit? How can they not just convert that crap?

Another dodgy quick port I guess...

They already had plans in place for how they're going to use the PS4 touch pad.
Huh? I didn't see anything more definitive about the use of that.

ekim

So Ubi Bucharest is doing the 360/PS3/WiiU port?

This is their track record:
2011: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC) - multiplayer collaboration with Annecy
2011 : Abba: You Can Dance (Wii) - in collaboration with Paris
2012 : Ghost Recon Future Soldier (X360, PS3) - in collaboration with Paris
2012 : Assassin's Creed 3 (X360, PS3, PC) - multiplayer in collaboration with Annecy
2012 : ZombiU (Wii U) - in collaboration with Montpellier

I hope they actually do something interesting with it rather than just a map/off-tv play. Give me a reason to want to buy it on WiiU.

Squire

Banned
So ~8 months from release and they still haven't decided what they want to do with the tablet? That feels like proof it will be some tacked on crap no one cares about. They already had plans in place for how they're going to use the PS4 touch pad.

The fact the GamePad isn't multi-touch makes it feel tacked on itself. Nintendo basically guaranteed no developer will ever really use it in an interesting way.

2012 : Assassin's Creed 3 (X360, PS3, PC) - multiplayer in collaboration with Annecy
Their only full homegrown efforts seem to be the HAWX games.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Putting in much effort at all for a WiiU version beyond the bare minimum is a pretty tough sell to any studio right now staring back at those hardware and software numbers.

Zarovitch

They will probably make what PS4 do, but they can make more stuff.
Do you consider the PS4 options tacked on?

Alexios

The fact the GamePad isn't multi-touch makes it feel tacked on itself. Nintendo basically guaranteed no developer will ever really use it in an interesting way.
There are tons of touch games mostly played with one finger, nevermind those devices don't even have buttons on top.

One can easily think of tons of possible enhancements, whether developers use them is up to them, not if they're possible.

CRPG inventories, MMORPG hotkeys, RTS functions, most of what you do with a mouse, outside first/third person cameras.

There you go, minutes of thought including typing that stuff. Imagine what an actual game designer could think of.

Oh, that's right, nothing. Lol.

Ein Bear

Genuinely am amazed this is getting a Wii U release at all. Rayman-fiasco aside, Ubi have a serious boner for the console.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
GamePad is the only reason to get this over the PS4 version, and an after-the-fact implementation by a port studio is not giving me confidence.

fvng

That's really odd given they confirmed the PS4 touchpad would be used to control the protaganist's phone.

Pociask

Putting in much effort at all for a WiiU version beyond the bare minimum is a pretty tough sell to any studio right now staring back at those hardware and software numbers.

Because when I'm playing a game on my television and on a tablet in my hands, at the same time, what I REALLY want to do is pinch to zoom.

*Guy in the back of the audience*

USE IT AS HIS PHONE.

USE IT AS HIS PHONE.

wsippel

Banned
Not this bullshit again...

Multitouch has exactly one practical use outisde of virtual gamepads (something you'll never need on a device with buttons to begin with): Pinch to zoom. That's pretty much it. And most interfaces on devices with multitouch screens don't even have anything to zoom into. Other multitouch gestures are typically OS level (application switcher and such) and not needed in a game, either.

Effect

Would be such a waste if the gamepad isn't used. It's right there and it's so obvious how it could be used and it wouldn't be forced. That should have been decided from the day they agreed they would make a Wii U version. Do they not want the Wii U version to do well? Do they want to make the Wii U version just like the others, ignoring the strength of the console, so as to not pull attention away from the others that just use a standard controller? Could that be why it hasn't be decided yet?

Squire

Banned
There are tons of touch games mostly played with one finger, nevermind those devices don't even have buttons on top.

One can easily think of tons of possible enhancements, whether developers use them is up to them, not if they're possible.

The DS4's touch-pad is multi-touch as is Vita and on 360 they're using SmartGlass, so whatever device that audience uses will be multi-touch. They can get as clever as they want on Wii U (which they in all likely hood won't) and still have double the possibilities on the other platforms.

Nice to see they already have it running on Wii U. I wonder when they'll be able to get the game to run on PS4?

I only care about off TV play.

Nothing wrong with that track record. It's a port, not a full-grown development.

JDSN

Banned
Im glad that the team that worked on the perfect PC port of AC3 is working on this, lots of faith in this endeavour.

DaBoss

WTF? When would multitouch be practical for gaming uses on the Wii U gamepad?

Derrick01

Banned
Nice to see they already have it running on Wii U. I wonder when they'll be able to get the game to run on PS4?

I only care about off TV play.

It's already running on PS4. One of the devs mentioned how fast it was to get it on there from the PC version, but they probably didn't have enough to demo at the time since the playstation event footage was on a PC with PS4 specs.

Hip Hop

All I want is for the game to feauture off TV play.

That is one my big reasons for buying the Wii U.

I'm not really looking for different inputs on games, I just want to play a game on a small screen.

It's definitely nice to not play on the big TV sometimes, especially before bed.

Alexios

The DS4's touch-pad is multi-touch as is Vita and on 360 they're using SmartGlass, so whatever device that audience uses will be multi-touch. They can get as clever as they want on Wii U (which they in all likely hood won't) and still have double the possibilities on the other platforms.
Half of those possibilities might not be great or necessary, hence my point about so many touch games on multitouch devices being primarily single touch experiences, which you somehow managed to miss. That the possibility is there doesn't mean it's suitable for everything. You're also omitting the fact one of those things (yep, the touchpad) isn't a screen, to avoid saying that reduces the possibilities because it doesn't suit your bias. Anyway, I wasn't responding about how it compares to this or that, but to a generic comment about what it is able to do by itself on its own under any circumstances outside this one game, so your response is merely moving goalposts arguing things that were not discussed at all. Thanks for being obvious, if so sad.

Looking forward to this. Will get the Wii U version for OffTV play barring any serious performance issues since resolution and graphical effects aren't really a deciding factor for me with this game.

Forkball

My lord Ubisoft has a development studio in ROMANIA? ACIV's credits are going to be longer than the entire LotR trilogy.

Also it is ironic that a game that revolves around using current technology in surprising ways cannot figure out how to utilize the Gamepad.

Com on with this multi touch affair... The single touch may look old fashioned, but multi touch has really no use on the gamepad. It has BUTTONS. real buttons.

Oppo

Not this bullshit again...

Multitouch has exactly one practical use outisde of virtual gamepads (something you'll never need on a device with buttons to begin with): Pinch to zoom. That's pretty much it. And most interfaces on devices with multitouch screens don't even have anything to zoom into. Other multitouch gestures are typically OS level (application switcher and such) and not needed in a game, either.

Yes, this again. Sorry wsippel but you will see this repeated because multitouch is huge despite you downplaying it at every turn.

Pinch to zoom is also pinch to rotate while simultaneously being a select action, useful for manipulating any set of 2D planar data (maps, photos, anything) — it is a big deal. Not like games use maps much, right?

It's not that you can't zoom with buttons, we have always done that, it is just inferior.

Ubi should give the main guy a tablet rather than a phone in the Wii U version. Just so it has congruency with what you are doing with your actual hands.

Top Bottom