• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Bosman Show

The problem is there is no True Detective game right now. Right now the only big game where I'm a cop is CSI so I have to take what I can get.

Been loving the last few episodes. Something about this time year that makes bosman on point.

In case he visits: keep it up bosman. Ive been watching since that first episode, you're great.

I don't remember it ever being pitched as being real gritty or serious. What do you mean about a Kickstarter?

There was a Police Warfare Kickstarter that had a lot of very, very similar ideas; the devs suddenly shutdown their Kickstarter midway through and went very quiet about it. Many people were convinced that it's where Hardline came from.

But I guess Visceral denied it?

http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/10/battlefield-hardline-visceral-games-pc-ps4-xbox-one-dev-dispels-similarities-to-failed-police-warfare-kickstarter/

The problem is there is no True Detective game right now. Right now the only big game where I'm a cop is CSI so I have to take what I can get.

It was funny seeing review taglines talking about how Hardline is no "The Wire". Really? It's cop show narrative doesn't live up to the greatest cop drama ever produced? There are seasons of The Wire that barely live up to the standard set by the Wire. A show where, by the way, anyone pulling their gun is a rarity. You can't expect everything to be The Wire, or True Detective or Hannibal. You can't even expect The Shield or Justified. A video game about cops would be lucky to be Bones or Criminal Minds or Law and Order: SVU level.

So exactly how bad is the framerate in the FFXV demo? Garbage all the time or just in certain segments?
The game appears to perform well in all the segments where you're not in control, but during combat, using the camera at the wrong time or visiting some areas can make it drop frequently and quite hard. If you're unlucky, you can get a perfect storm that drops almost to single digits. If you're sensitive to this type of stuttering, you'll probably want to skip it because the headaches are going to be impossible to avoid.

It very much feels like a game that's still deep in development, probably because it literally is. Vertical slices and demos usually get a lot more polish, but given how much of a time sink that would have been and how long this game has been anticipated, I don't mind too much. They can spend the time they won by not optimising the demo on smoothing out the final product instead. The Duscae episode exists to show off how the game will function, get some crowd-sourced feedback, and most importantly to help sell Type 0. I don't think it's about making FF15 flex.

Kasper

It was funny seeing review taglines talking about how Hardline is no "The Wire". Really? It's cop show narrative doesn't live up to the greatest cop drama ever produced? There are seasons of The Wire that barely live up to the standard set by the Wire. A show where, by the way, anyone pulling their gun is a rarity. You can't expect everything to be The Wire, or True Detective or Hannibal. You can't even expect The Shield or Justified. A video game about cops would be lucky to be Bones or Criminal Minds or Law and Order: SVU level.

Battlefield: Hardline, the NCIS: Los Angeles of video games.

Tokubetsu

YraosSL.jpg

UrbanRats

I think it's more foolish to expect a The Wire style video game, than a True Detective one.
As good as it may be (and i know i've shat on it enough) True Detective is pulp entertainment, following pretty much every clichè in the book of moody, serious cop drama.

The Wire has a completely different premise, it exists as an obvious social commentary and it develops with that goal in mind.

So although we'll probably get a "True Detective" of videogames, in the near future, i don't think it's as likely we'll get a The Wire of videogames, just as soon, because that series comes from a very specific background (Simon being a journalist in Baltimore for years, for example) not just higher quality, pulpy entertainment.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Great episode. And I really like the points Kyle brings up, there really isn't anyone else like Kojima in the industry. It's far more likely peopel will recognize him rather than Neil Druckman or Peter Molyneux, as far as game directors go.

I hope Kojima is able to make the games he want, as big as they are, no compromises.

Akainu

End of an era man. After V Metal Gear is dead, DEAD! These are dark times.

Kyle really must no like miyamoto. Are there anyone other videos where he talks about this?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Kyle really must no like miyamoto. Are there anyone other videos where he talks about this?

To be honest, I feel like this is the first time he mentions any negative feeling towards him, maybe I'm not remembering well.

Zomba13

I agree. As much as Metal Gear is Konami's (like Kyle said) it's mainly Kojima's. Kojima is the one who pours so much into the series, who made it what it is, who leaves his style all over it. Post Kojima Metal Gear won't really be Metal Gear. They could still be great games but they won't be Metal Gear like Kojima's Metal Gear was.

Konami are well within their right to remove Kojima's name from the product (and past products that they are still selling) and they can do anything with the game as it's their IP and removing Kojima's name probably won't have any impact on sales or perception of the series but it's still kinda shitty and petty. Even though Kojima's name isn't on the box Kojima's name is all over the game and Konami can't take that away.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You know guys, it's going to be really funny when Konami cites as a reason to kick Kojima that they wanted to change the series up, just like they did with Silent Hill.

BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO FIX WHAT'S NOT BROKEN, RIGHT?

jeffers

for a man who likes context and detail, I dunno his ill-feelings to the rock-asking. its just saying to designers to make (and think) everything have reason.

Mat-triX

for a man who likes context and detail, I dunno his ill-feelings to the rock-asking. its just saying to designers to make (and think) everything have reason.

Nah man, he like, didn't direct anything for years...so...his questioning is unvaild (?).

Miyamoto is a designer, and always talks about design mentality in games - doing something for a reason.

Vinc

Gametrailers is freaking fantastic and the content they produce definitely should be getting more views. With the right exposure, I think they'll do great in due time. I really hope they get enough time to get to that point.

Village

Lord knows everyone else doesn't, seeing as how Rosalina has apparently been granted the title of Nintendo's Lightning.

Eh , people call everything everything's lightning. Not knowing that the whole purpose of that comparison is to make reference to something the creator stans than no one likes. Not something everyone likes and you don't like. I wouldn't put too much stock into tht.

LaserHawk

I'd really like to see him do that Miyamoto episode, just to see if he was being silly here or if he REALLY does have a problem with the guy. Not many people are willing to take shots at Miyamoto.

Lol this episode. Okay first all I really appreciate the Kyle Gametrailers joke because there is no information in the actual episode to understand this. You need to have watched various prior Gametrailers stuff to get it. You need that Gametrailers lore.

Second, he explained himself better here than on GT Time about the Kojima stuff. Can't leave Brandon that opening.

Third. That Miyamoto shade. Elyse's perfect cold delivery on the last line.

Lol this episode. Okay first all I really appreciate the Kyle Gametrailers joke because there is no information in the actual episode to understand this. You need to have watched various prior Gametrailers stuff to get it. You need that Gametrailers lore.

Second, he explained himself better here than on GT Time about the Kojima stuff. Can't leave Brandon that opening.

Third. That Miyamoto shade. Elyse's perfect cold delivery on the last line.

Yeah, the bit with Elyse was great. I don't know why I find someone physically poking an LCD monitor to be so funny, but I do.

Lol this episode. Okay first all I really appreciate the Kyle Gametrailers joke because there is no information in the actual episode to understand this.

Hm?

I assumed it was a joke on how MGS wont have a "Kojima Game" in future titles so The Final Bosman shouldnt have a Bosman in this episode, since it is actually a "Gametrailers IP".

AniHawk

Didn't Miyamoto's meddling totally screw up Paper Mario Sticker Star?

he wanted it to be more pick up and play due to it being on a handheld. i think that's why luigi's mansion 2 is structured the way it is (although that's not credited to him).

sticker star is pretty good for it though. remember that the previous game was the needlessly story-heavy snoozefest that was super paper mario, probably one of the greatest examples of wasted potential in the last ten years.

I'd really like to see him do that Miyamoto episode, just to see if he was being silly here or if he REALLY does have a problem with the guy. Not many people are willing to take shots at Miyamoto.

i'm interested in it too. he comes off like someone told him about things miyamoto had said and not someone who has read interviews (which i would assume kyle has) or gets why miyamoto would ask about placements of things in level design. like, my assumption would be challenging the designer to come up with a better answer than 'i don't know' and not explicitly telling them that they're wrong. smg1 was rather crummy in parts too, especially its pacing. miyamoto and the older guys had to basically prevent the younger crew (koizumi and his generation) from making a game explicitly for children, from the level design to the music.

Hm?

I assumed it was a joke on how MGS wont have a "Kojima Game" in future titles so The Final Bosman shouldnt have a Bosman in this episode, since it is actually a "Gametrailers IP".

No you're probably right. My thought was how back in GT Time Brandon scoffed at Kyle's position that auteurs should have their name on the box and teased that since he organized that show so he should call it Kyle Bosman's GT Time. Kyle didn't really have a witty response at the time, so I thought this was his inverting that - adding the company name to his own.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I love Kyle's take on Shigeru Nintendo's walk, almost squidlike.

That man should keep making our business decisions

Sesha

The Kyle Gametrailers joke would have made me spit something out if I drinking or eating something.

Regarding Brandon Jones' position on this, it's not just Kojima. Kojima Studios as a whole aren't credited on the box. So it's not just a case of auteurs not being the face of the marketing and being name-dropped on marketing materials.

Hasney

Regarding Brandon Jones' position on this, it's not just Kojima. Kojima Studios as a whole aren't credited on the box. So it's not just a case of auteurs not being the face of the marketing and being name-dropped on marketing materials.

Qx0JPzl.gif

Top Bottom