• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound now available for preorder [Up: Stretch Goals]

Nokterian

Most gaming kickstarters don't reach 1 mill.

True but i was reading some where that they announced Starbound a year ago orso? Guess the community said to them yes we will give you money to make the game. And i am happy i did this also. 45 dollars it is worth it seeing those test footage and the atmosphere that all captures me gives me a good feeling about this game.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Are they still adding stretch goals to the pre-orders? I'm curious if there is anything after the pets.
No idea. Either they're done with them or the next one is gonna get announced when they release the trailer.

A milli! HYPE!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jira:
sbsliced_01k1k9p.png

sbsliced_0271k1g.png
spacenav1debn.gif
sbsliced_042rj44.png
universegenhrirv.gif
sbsliced_0628kin.png

sbsliced_072fkkb.png

sbsliced_08g0jx8.png
explorationgenc9fnk.gif
sbsliced_10ohket.png
explorationdungeonrqc6a.gif
sbsliced_12e2jt6.png

sbsliced_13u5k5m.png

sbsliced_14r6k0l.png
immersionymd3p.gif
sbsliced_163xj7p.png

sbsliced_17hnjef.png

sbsliced_18oxk3w.png
shipr1c7c.gif
sbsliced_20vlksu.png

sbsliced_213rkfr.png

sbsliced_228kjor.png
combatanimationnukhm.gif
sbsliced_240skfe.png
enemiesodjl0.gif
sbsliced_26l3jkb.png

sbsliced_27mpjb1.png

sbsliced_326ujhb.png
procedwepsebk5s.gif
sbsliced_34hmki5.png
itemsmue2n.gif
sbsliced_311ck0y.png

sbsliced_38ocjrr.png

sbsliced_39l8jbw.gif
catsprymo.gif
sbsliced_41r1jjx.png

So I’ve spent about the past week or so working on this. Initially I wanted to do one large image but I found out that a large image + 150 frames of animations = BOOM. So I then had to slice the images, spit out the gifs into their own files, and then reassemble the whole thing. Well here it is and I hope it gets you as excited as I am. Feel free to spread this around as that’s the entire purpose of why I made it.

I also have to give credit to the Reddit user Suasive for the inspiration otherwise I may have never done it.

Also, check out this thread for the single most comprehensive post about the game:

http://community.playstarbound.com/...nced-game-information-updated-april-15th.450/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazing work. Should be in an OT or something. Deserves to be requoted in its unedited glory.

Retro

Curtis Schweitzer apparently live-streamed creating the NovaKid's theme. Someone was nice enough to grab the final version and toss it on Youtube.

Interestingly (or not, actually), it borrows some cues from "Desert Exploration 1" which is kinda awesome.

Also, that first youtube comment nails it;
I'm getting a Firefly and Serenity vibe of this awesome song!

Yeeeeeeeep...

Rootbeer

Banned
Did my part and pre-ordered. Terraria is a magical game and it stands among the rarest of the rare in terms of the value you get out of its purchase price. I expect just as much out of Starbound. It certainly looks bigger and better in every way.

They are pretty much all "puns".

Solarium -> Solar
Aegisalt -> Aegis
Impervium -> Impervious
Eternium -> Eternal
Endurium -> Endurance
Immortium -> Immortal
Magnetium -> Magnet
Forcetrium -> Force (and triangular)

That one stood out mostly because of the triforce that's actually one of the nodes art.

ScRYeD

They are pretty much all "puns".

Solarium -> Solar
Aegisalt -> Aegis
Impervium -> Impervious
Eternium -> Eternal
Endurium -> Endurance
Immortium -> Immortal
Magnetium -> Magnet
Forcetrium -> Force (and triangular)
Rhodium = Rho is a dev
Kyrenite = Kyren also a dev

VandalD

Heard on Reddit that Tiy did another stream on Twitch. This time there's PVP. Skip to 9:25 unless you like listening to random people say whatever. Or just mute the sound since it's all random people saying whatever. Showed off dual-wielding too. Gun and sword, two shields
lolz
, gun and shield, two-handed weapons.

Retro

In one of the streams, Tiy uses a cheat, "Timewarp" to skip ahead. But it doesn't just skip, it fast forwards... and you can see the stars wheel overhead, rather than just move straight left or right, or remain stationary;

starsrourw.gif

I'm wondering if the planets rise and set in the same way... I bet they do. It should look incredible. I wonder if they cast any reflective light either, like a giant gas planet like Neptune casting a blue hue over everything, ala Avatar;
polyphemus_avatar_27dujp.png

Because that would be amazing... and we already know that there are huge gas planets from that first screencap. I wonder how much of the sky they can dominate, and if they actually get bigger if they're closer in orbit to you...

Fuck... can't wait for this game, all of the little details...

Retro

Holy shit! This gif looks fantastic. Pretty hyped for this.

Nah... this one is better;
Tiy said:
Let me show you something funny I made to test our weapon system. I wrote it in about 5 minutes with no programming, only configuration files.
stars2q0us1.gif

Yeah... "Funny"... more like "Fucking awesome orbital strike cannon"... By the way, I love GifCam.

bengraven

Seriously, unless RDR2 or Fallout 4 gets announced at E3, this is the only game coming out that I even care about.

Skab

I wish we could get a beta date at least. Just something. Anything that isn't yet another massive cock tease.

kvothe

Agh, I really wish this was releasing on Vita.

They should just scrap the Terraria port and put this on Vita instead.

Retro

You're not wrong, but Terraria (Relogic) and Starbound (Chucklefish) have only the thinnest connective threads... so cancelling one has no bearing on the other.

kvothe

You're not wrong, but Terraria (Relogic) and Starbound (Chucklefish) have only the thinnest connective threads... so cancelling one has no bearing on the other.

Different Devs.

Dammit, I've googled this multiple times. There's been a lot of confusion with people talking about that Edge of Space game and saying it was by the people that made Terraria and then other people saying, "No, you're thinking of Starbound." And I google "sequel to terraria" and all of the results were Starbound. And I saw that the name of the developer was different but the games looked so similar I thought they had just changed the name of the dev.

But no, I'm wrong. Argh. Well forgive my ignorance, then.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Different Devs.

Oh god... not again. I will saracastically act faux angry now:

OKAY ONCE AGAIN. THIS GAME IS NOT FROM THE SAME DEVS THAT MADE TERRARIA.

HOWEVER, THE GAME (AND I BELIEVE, FOR THE ENTIRE DEV COMPANY) IS HEADED BY THE GUY WHO WAS THE ARTIST FOR TERRARIA (WHO ISN'T THE ARTIST NOW FOR TERRARIA, EVEN THOUGH NEW CONTENT IS COMING OUT FOR TERRARIA).

EVERY TIME SOMEONE MAKES THIS MISTAKE, THE UNIVERSE KILLS A KITTEN. SAVE THE KITTENS.

You're forgiven. Kitty still died though.

ScRYeD

Oh god... not again. I will saracastically act faux angry now:

OKAY ONCE AGAIN. THIS GAME IS NOT FROM THE SAME DEVS THAT MADE TERRARIA.

HOWEVER, THE GAME (AND I BELIEVE, FOR THE ENTIRE DEV COMPANY) IS HEADED BY THE GUY WHO WAS THE ARTIST FOR TERRARIA (WHO ISN'T THE ARTIST NOW FOR TERRARIA, EVEN THOUGH NEW CONTENT IS COMING OUT FOR TERRARIA).

EVERY TIME SOMEONE MAKES THIS MISTAKE, THE UNIVERSE KILLS A KITTEN. SAVE THE KITTENS.

You're forgiven. Kitty still died though.
Poor Tentacle Kittens getting slaughtered every day.

RIP
starbound_tentacle_kitty_by_tentaclekitty-d58k4yg.jpg

LycanXIII

Dammit, I've googled this multiple times. There's been a lot of confusion with people talking about that Edge of Space game and saying it was by the people that made Terraria and then other people saying, "No, you're thinking of Starbound." And I google "sequel to terraria" and all of the results were Starbound. And I saw that the name of the developer was different but the games looked so similar I thought they had just changed the name of the dev.

Well, if you want to go farther, the Dev making the Terraria port isn't ReLogic. :p

Watching some of the latest streams, I hope enemy/alien combat tactics are as varied as their bodily makeups, because I'm seeing a whole lot of the "wildly run up to and hug the player" variety. The procedurally generated monster system is cool and everything, but if they're all just ultimately bumping into you with different sized hit boxes then it's gonna get old hat real quick.

Morokh

Watching some of the latest streams, I hope enemy/alien combat tactics are as varied as their bodily makeups, because I'm seeing a whole lot of the "wildly run up to and hug the player" variety. The procedurally generated monster system is cool and everything, but if they're all just ultimately bumping into you with different sized hit boxes then it's gonna get old hat real quick.

If you're talking about the stream where Tiy was showing different weapons and how they fire, he explained later that when he is testing things with creatures he usually only activates ONE of the many behaviors they can have so he can see it this particular one works as intended.

Retro

From Twitter:
Tiy said:
For everyone asking about the roadmap we'll update it real soon. We're doing it monthly (or so). Micro updates would require a lot of time

Last update to the roadmap was the 20th of April, according to the @StarRoadTracker twitter.

Top Bottom