• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound now available for preorder [Up: Stretch Goals]

Jira

I no longer buy things based on promises/ideas.

They wanted to add a shit load of stuff to Terraria and none of it ever came.

Their PR person? Da fuck?

So a 2 man team, had a pr person, with the power to push for an early launch. Yeah.

I guess some mistakes were made.

Terraria was a very unique circumstance. It was released only 4 months after development because their PR guy backed them into a corner. A version of the game had leaked out around 3 and some odd months so they were very worried about their profit margin due to piracy. This forced their hand to release a lot sooner than intended. If all went as planned, they would have released the original game in Nov-Dec or so instead of May. A single guy supported the game for 8 months post launch and then wanted to spend time with his newborn. No one should be faulting him for that decision. The 1.1 Terraria update doubled my playtime to about 170 hours, the upcoming 1.2 patch is even larger than 1.1. Redigit was never obligated to work on more content post launch, he didn't have to give it away for free, he surely didn't have to come back after a year away to give us more free content, and he also didn't have to work on a sequel to Terraria given the amount of money he made.

In the case of Starbound, the team isn't just a single programmer and wouldn't die if one person took time off like Terraria did. Tiy (the lead dev) has also said they will not even release the Beta until they consider the game to be near finished (outside of the story content to keep spoilers down). Thus far Starbound has seen over 1 year of development prior to release which is over 3x that of Terraria. It's pretty clear from what we've seen that it's in much more capable hands. Though that isn't a slight a Redigit, he did an amazing job given how little he had programmed prior and what he was capable of putting out in a mere 4 months by himself.

What? That doesn't sound like my experience with Terraria at all!

It was for me. :( I was following the update progress every week, and out of the blue it was announced that it would no longer be developed. I was still holding out for a Mac version.. :(

Terraria was a very unique circumstance. It was released only 4 months after development because their PR guy backed them into a corner. A version of the game had leaked out around 3 and some odd months so they were very worried about their profit margin due to piracy. This forced their hand to release a lot sooner than intended. If all went as planned, they would have released the original game in Nov-Dec or so instead of May. A single guy supported the game for 8 months post launch and then wanted to spend time with his newborn. No one should be faulting him for that decision. The 1.1 Terraria update doubled my playtime to about 170 hours, the upcoming 1.2 patch is even larger than 1.1. Redigit was never obligated to work on more content post launch, he didn't have to give it away for free, he surely didn't have to come back after a year away to give us more free content, and he also didn't have to work on a sequel to Terraria given the amount of money he made.

In the case of Starbound, the team isn't just a single programmer and wouldn't die if one person took time off like Terraria did. Tiy (the lead dev) has also said they will not even release the Beta until they consider the game to be near finished (outside of the story content to keep spoilers down). Thus far Starbound has seen over 1 year of development prior to release which is over 3x that of Terraria. It's pretty clear from what we've seen that it's in much more capable hands. Though that isn't a slight a Redigit, he did an amazing job given how little he had programmed prior and what he was capable of putting out in a mere 4 months by himself.

Wait, a Terraria update is being developed? That's great to hear!

Edit: Here's a video about the 1.2 patch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=49NpzXDNJH8#at=135

VandalD

Wait, a Terraria update is being developed? That's great to hear!

Edit: Here's a video about the 1.2 patch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=49NpzXDNJH8#at=135
That and some pictures have been posted in the Terraria OT2. Redigit is apparently going to put out a sneak peek every week until it's out, which will apparently be late May at the earliest. Said to be bigger than 1.1.

Still amazed to see how much money Starbound is making with no trailer out there.

harrytang

This is what I'm talking about.

Pretty sure none of that happened.

He was being sarcastic.

I bough terraria for pc when it came out, and never played it. Now I'm playing on Xbox with about 30 hours under my belt. Playing a fleshed out game with loads of content for the first time playthrough is a great experience. I don't always want to be playing betas with the expectation things will improve.

Having said that, I did plunk down for pixel on star bound. I've browsed the forums and payed attention to the website on and off for the past year. It seems legit and I'm excited.

Big thanks to Jira and others here for providing so much info and background on this and terraria development history.

Whatever turns out I'm excited to see it unfold.

duckroll

This is what I'm talking about.

Pretty sure none of that happened.

Wow. Never read that. I guess ignorance is bliss. I played through Terraria with friends on new worlds each time there was a major patch, and with over a hundred hours clocked I feel I definitely got more than my money's worth. Didn't realize he had even more ambitious plans which went nowhere. I thought the endgame stuff with the infection was basically the end of it.

Jira

Two new generated monsters:

tR7PuzQ.gif
U7sxUNo.gif

Jira

sbsliced_01k1k9p.png

sbsliced_0271k1g.png
spacenav1debn.gif
sbsliced_042rj44.png
universegenhrirv.gif
sbsliced_0628kin.png

sbsliced_072fkkb.png

sbsliced_08g0jx8.png
explorationgenc9fnk.gif
sbsliced_10ohket.png
explorationdungeonrqc6a.gif
sbsliced_12e2jt6.png

sbsliced_13u5k5m.png

sbsliced_14r6k0l.png
immersionymd3p.gif
sbsliced_163xj7p.png

sbsliced_17hnjef.png

sbsliced_18oxk3w.png
shipr1c7c.gif
sbsliced_20vlksu.png

sbsliced_213rkfr.png

sbsliced_228kjor.png
combatanimationnukhm.gif
sbsliced_240skfe.png
enemiesodjl0.gif
sbsliced_26l3jkb.png

sbsliced_27mpjb1.png

sbsliced_326ujhb.png
procedwepsebk5s.gif
sbsliced_34hmki5.png
itemsmue2n.gif
sbsliced_311ck0y.png

sbsliced_38ocjrr.png

sbsliced_39l8jbw.gif
catsprymo.gif
sbsliced_41r1jjx.png

So I’ve spent about the past week or so working on this. Initially I wanted to do one large image but I found out that a large image + 150 frames of animations = BOOM. So I then had to slice the images, spit out the gifs into their own files, and then reassemble the whole thing. Well here it is and I hope it gets you as excited as I am. Feel free to spread this around as that’s the entire purpose of why I made it.

I also have to give credit to the Reddit user Suasive for the inspiration otherwise I may have never done it.

Also, check out this thread for the single most comprehensive post about the game:

http://community.playstarbound.com/...nced-game-information-updated-april-15th.450/

Jira

I wonder when we can realistically expect beta to start.

In three months or less seems to be likely. They're a bit over 70% done with the whole game and the idea is to go into Beta as soon as everything is finished (other than the story stuff). They want the game to be pretty much done when people first play it outside of story stuff that will be left out so nothing is spoiled.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
thats some nice work put into that info dump man

edit: should put it up on the front page to let people know what the game is about

Just sent a link to your post to my wife, Jira. I bought us copies of it, and she keeps asking me why I think she's going to like the game. If your post doesn't convince her, maybe I'll give her copy away

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Should I bother purchasing Terraria now that I pre-ordered a copy of Starbound?

I don't see any reasons why that would be a problem. Terraria is a great game. Not sure how long it takes to get to the endgame when the update comes out, but you can usually get there in a few days easy. Then once you've done that, you just build... and build... and build...

We don't know the release date (or even the beta release date) of Starbound anyway.

Jira

Should I bother purchasing Terraria now that I pre-ordered a copy of Starbound?

I bought it for $10 on launch, I put about 70 or so hours into it over the first week. I did a second playthrough when the 1.1 patch came out and got up to about 170 hours. I started playing again on my own server and I'm at 190 hours. The next patch (1.2) is coming out in May/June is going to be even larger than 1.1 so probably another hundred hours? I've got something like 5 cents an hour in terms of price per hour. You can potentially get it during a sale for $2.50. Just wait till the 1.2 patch comes out and grab it as we have no date on beta nor release for Starbound. If you do get it send me a PM and I'll give you my IP if you want to play MP.

Momentary

Banned
I bought it for $10 on launch, I put about 70 or so hours into it over the first week. I did a second playthrough when the 1.1 patch came out and got up to about 170 hours. I started playing again on my own server and I'm at 190 hours. The next patch (1.2) is coming out in May/June is going to be even larger than 1.1 so probably another hundred hours? I've got something like 5 cents an hour in terms of price per hour. You can potentially get it during a sale for $2.50. Just wait till the 1.2 patch comes out and grab it as we have no date on beta nor release for Starbound. If you do get it send me a PM and I'll give you my IP if you want to play MP.

Sounds good. I'll wait until then. got things I have to complete in my backlog anyway.

I'm not sure how I had never heard of this game but I immediately bought it once I saw it. Looks amazing, animations are gorgeous and the game play sounds like exactly what I love.

Munin

I'm not hating but for a game with this kind of money behind it, the pixel art could be a lot better, especially given the number of indie games with great pixel art (Konjak's stuff, Frogatto, etc). Sprites and terrain just look really kind of dull and flat, which takes the sense of wonder and exploration a bit away for me. On the other hand, for some reason, the concept / promo art is outstanding.

But of course YMMV. I'm still looking forward to playing it, I'm sure it'll be great.

Jira

12:50:04 <@Tiyuri> there are 10 special ores
12:50:09 <@Tiyuri> that only appear within their tier
12:50:16 <@Tiyuri> and are used for crafting armor and weapons that belong to that tier
12:50:20 <@Tiyuri> then there are ores that appear in every tier
12:50:27 <@Tiyuri> and are used for crafting printer ink or have other general uses

12:53:31 <@Tiyuri> like you cant 3d print a candle
12:53:40 <@Tiyuri> but you can 3d print a candleholder and it requires a torch

you cannot print everything. its just so copper doesnt become obsolete, if you get to silver tier. you can convert copper to printer ink so you can still use it for other items.

So you WILL need special ore for special armor and cannot farm wood x10000 convert to ink and build special armor.

I really like that they're making it so older mats don't become worthless and take up space.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
hell yeah and im sure thats more then terraria

copper
iron
silver
gold
demonite
meteorite
hellstone
cobalt
mythril
adamantite

yup they only had 10 this is pretty cool i was dreading they were going to focus less on the mining aspect

VandalD

I really like that they're making it so older mats don't become worthless and take up space.
Sounds good to me. Terraria did a reasonable job with this if you cared about aesthetics, in that you could turn most of them into special bricks.

My main worry about this game is still the combat and creature AI. I have doubts about the blocking and counterattacking. It would be great to see some of this in action.

Drazgul

I'm not hating but for a game with this kind of money behind it, the pixel art could be a lot better, especially given the number of indie games with great pixel art (Konjak's stuff, Frogatto, etc). Sprites and terrain just look really kind of dull and flat, which takes the sense of wonder and exploration a bit away for me. On the other hand, for some reason, the concept / promo art is outstanding.

But of course YMMV. I'm still looking forward to playing it, I'm sure it'll be great.

Yeah, some of it looks really good (like the flashlight in some cave video) but then you have these meh graphics for some of the stuff like trees. Some of the animations could use some work, too - hope they can get that modding support done as soon as possible.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
Has there been any mention of random special events? Kinda like the blood moon from Terraria? Loved that and wished there were more.

Top Bottom