• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound now available for preorder [Up: Stretch Goals]

Mrbob

Stretch goals on pre orders? Cutting out kick starter all together and keeping the bulk of profits. These guys are geniuses.

Mrbob

Haven't I seen preorders on Steam do basically this?

Yeah, but not really structured like this. The goals are set by actual dollar amount which will include additional features if hit.

This is a full on kickstarter masked as a pre order. I'm not against it. In fact, I expect more smaller companies to do this in the future. Why pay Amazon a fee if you don't have too?

Although I'm having a tough time buying the "some of team members need a second job" message. Isn't this the same company which made Terraria? That game sold a ton. Pay your employees better.

Retro

Watch me build the OT here!

betaotcdfvk.gif

Wait, it's out?
Almost. The Beta begins December 4th, 2013!

Finally! Now, how long is the damn Beta going to take?
We don't know, we we do know it will have 3 phases;

• Phase 1:
    Rapid re-iteration, lots of bugs and balance changes. Very unoptimized. Characters may be deleted.
  • Phase 2:
    Largely feature complete, but lacking the main quest. Chasing down bugs and optimization work. Characters unlikely to be deleted, but still a possibility.
  • Phase 3:
    Preparing for launch, adding in the main quest and post-launch content, along with any remaining work on optimization.
How will I download the game?​
Steam keys will be sent out to all pre-order backers via e-mail. A direct download version of the game will be provided as soon as they're able to efficiently provide it.​

Will I still be able to purchase the game after the beta is released?​
Yes, you'll be able to purchase the game through Steam Early Access and the $15 Pixel Tier and 4-pack will remain available in their store.

Will the beta be available for PC, Mac and Linux?​
Yes.

Will [insert feature here] be in at beta launch?​
Expect a good chunk of things to be missing or incomplete; it's a beta, after all.

Am I allowed to post images or stream footage of the beta to Youtube/Twitch/etc, even if I'm making money off of it?​
Yes.

Is multiplayer in for beta?​
Yes.

So, I have no idea what Starbound is all about, any info?
Sure, courtesy of Jira:

sbsliced_01k1k9p.png

sbsliced_0271k1g.png
spacenav1debn.gif
sbsliced_042rj44.png
universegenhrirv.gif
sbsliced_0628kin.png

sbsliced_072fkkb.png

sbsliced_08g0jx8.png
explorationgenc9fnk.gif
sbsliced_10ohket.png
explorationdungeonrqc6a.gif
sbsliced_12e2jt6.png

sbsliced_13u5k5m.png

sbsliced_14r6k0l.png
immersionymd3p.gif
sbsliced_163xj7p.png

sbsliced_17hnjef.png

sbsliced_18oxk3w.png
shipr1c7c.gif
sbsliced_20vlksu.png

sbsliced_213rkfr.png

sbsliced_228kjor.png
combatanimationnukhm.gif
sbsliced_240skfe.png
enemiesodjl0.gif
sbsliced_26l3jkb.png

sbsliced_27mpjb1.png

sbsliced_326ujhb.png
procedwepsebk5s.gif
sbsliced_34hmki5.png
itemsmue2n.gif
sbsliced_311ck0y.png

sbsliced_38ocjrr.png

sbsliced_39l8jbw.gif
catsprymo.gif
sbsliced_41r1jjx.png

Oh, so it's Terraria 2!
No; the lead designer on Starbound is Finn Brice, better known as Tiy, who worked on Terraria as a pixel artist. That’s the only connection between the two; Tiy formed Chucklefish after further development of Terraria was put on hold.

Gotcha, any useful links?

NeededSleep

It's the artist from Terraria who left to start his own company (Chucklefish), basically funding the game out of pocket. Yes, Terraria made a lot of money, but probably not enough to pay a bunch of people for an extended period of time (which is what they've been doing).

Absolutely no one else from Terraria was involved in the slightest.

Kinda shocked that the Terraria group didn't want to come on board with this one as well. Was/Is there some bad blood between the group?

Jira

Kinda shocked that the Terraria group didn't want to come on board with this one as well. Was/Is there some bad blood between the group?

Terraria consisted of a grand total of three people.

Redigit - Programming/Design
Blue - PR
Tiy - Art (The lead designer and artist of SB)

Blue left on somewhat good terms a few months after launch due to really hyping the game up and forcing Redigit to release before he wanted to. After 1.1 came out, Redigit wanted to take some time off to learn from making Terraria and he was having a kid. Now that he's had his kid he's now back to updating Terraria for the time being. So there was simply no time to work on SB and I really don't think the offer would have been there even if there was. No one knows if there was any bad blood other than Redigit and Tiy.

mileS

They need a trailer asap IMO. Something to help spread the word that people can link to newbies to get interested/pre-order.

NeededSleep

Terraria consisted of a grand total of three people.

Redigit - Programming/Design
Blue - PR
Tiy - Art (The lead designer and artist of SB)

Blue left on somewhat good terms a few months after launch due to really hyping the game up and forcing Redigit to release before he wanted to. After 1.1 came out, Redigit wanted to take some time off to learn from making Terraria and he was having a kid. Now that he's had his kid he's now back to updating Terraria for the time being. So there was simply no time to work on SB and I really don't think the offer would have been there even if there was. No one knows if there was any bad blood other than Redigit and Tiy.

Did Redigit work on the psn/xbn version or was it given to a different devo/port team.

Jira

They need a trailer asap IMO. Something to help spread the word that people can link to newbies to get interested/pre-order.

Well, there is this:

There is one line that is inaccurate though which is the 100 planets per universe part. As far as they've said the amount of planets per rolled universe are so high that you'll simply never visit them all (think Spore). They're working on a trailer now though.

Did Redigit work on the psn/xbn version or was it given to a different devo/port team.

No, that was all 505 for the port/new content.

Oh and less than 100k till fossil pokeymanz AND the 1 million stretch goal!

Qvoth

Well, there is this:

i find it really hard to believe they'll be able to do all that
when something seems too good to be true, it's usually bullshit
i'll just wait until the game or beta's out to try it out myself i guess

Poyunch

Tempted between Floran and Novakid. Florans have the best sprites but I hate how primitive their social structure seems to be and I love the design and backstory of the Novakids but I kind of dislike the Western motif.

Retro

i find it really hard to believe they'll be able to do all that
when something seems too good to be true, it's usually bullshit
i'll just wait until the game or beta's out to try it out myself i guess

1. Races.
- Character Creator is live on their site, you can try it right now. Novakid do not appear as they were a stretch goal that wasn't going to be included at launch.

- There was a video a few months back of them cycling through various racial armors, so at least they're in the game graphically. Whether the tech is implemented, we're not sure, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.​

2. Technology.
- Haven't seen a video of this, but it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility.​

3. Equipment.
- Likewise with equipment; having a crafting system isn't too unbelievable.​

4. Procedural Generation.
- They have released a new monster every Friday, you can view the whole collection here. The way it works is that enemies are built from a variety of parts, so rather than drawing sprites for individual enemies, the game is just picking "Quadruped Leg 1", "Mouth 2", etc. You can clearly see that Enemies 8, 18, 32, 34, 36, 43 and 47 all are using the same back legs. You can also see in 43 and 47 that one has a staggered gait while the other appears to 'hop' with both legs at a time.

- Haven't seen anything on NPCs, but considering it's just generating the same sprites as player characters and assigning them a name, it's not unbelievable.

- Terraria did world generation, so it seems plausible here. In fact, it's easier here because planets are restricted to a single biome (Desert Planet, Ice Planet, etc.). Mini-biomes break up the terrain type, along with dungeons, villages and the like. Again, Terraria basically did this a few years ago, so I don't see any reason to doubt it here.

- Not sure on space stations or giant monsters, but we've seen some screenshots of smaller planetary bodies like moons. Terraria had different sized worlds, so a 'moon' here is just a 'tiny' generated world.​

5. Universe System.
- Terraria generated one big world, Starbound appears to generate lots of smaller ones. We don't have any details on planet sizes yet, but they've said that in testing, they were able to generate planets that went on forever.

- Not sure where they're getting the '100 planets per universe' figure, as there's supposed to be a lot more. I think whoever made this image may be confusing planet levels (a rating for their difficulty, based on enemy type, environmental hazards, etc.), with 100 being the 'most difficult'.

- Not sure where he's getting the 'tiers' from either, unless he's pairing armor tiers with planet difficulty (which may be correct, but I've never heard it, personally).

- We've seen video/screenshots of the ship being upgraded and decorated. Examples here.

- We've seen videos and screenshots of players using the background items; they're not all just decorative. For example, in the building demo, the computer is used to activate objects (in this case, doors). Chairs can be sat in (screenshots here), etc.

- Pets have been something they've discussed but we've never gotten details on. I'm not sure where this stands as they do not appear to have an individual entry on the roadmap.​

Everything else on this list is post-release goals.

Tempted between Floran and Novakid. Florans have the best sprites but I hate how primitive their social structure seems to be and I love the design and backstory of the Novakids but I kind of dislike the Western motif.

They've said that every race starts off with their own unique equipment visuals and tech bonuses, but there's nothing to stop you from wearing any other piece of armor in the game, even other racial armor (And you can even wear them as vanity items, which merely overwrite the appearance of the armor you're wearing). Their tech may start off one way, but as far as I know there's nothing stopping you from grabbing any piece of armor you like. Want heavy, medieval armor? Find a Glitch player and ask him to craft it for you (or, they probably can be obtained by killing enemy Glitch). Futuristic Apex-armor, Human clothing, even Floran loincloths. Lots of options, the Western motif only goes as far as you want it (though their story might sort of force it on you, but visually you're free to do what you want).

balddemon

Banned
The 'incident' we're referring to is a Non-GAFer (who was either waiting for approval or just found the thread) who started off okay, but got progressively worse as time went on. It started off with "Wait, how did Kaos get over there so fast?" (using a map hack), then he started draining oceans for fun, blowing peoples' stuff up, and using more and more hacks.

I personally was sick of him because you'd log in and start building, and he'd teleport to you and start adding onto your structure. Or building right next to it. Or chopping down trees you specifically planted or wanted to stay. Or just being in the way.

Anyways, after warning him multiple times, he was finally banned from the server. In retaliation, any time we posted the IP for the GAF server, he posted it on some public server agregate and we'd end up with 40 people jumping on and demolishing everything, triggering hard mode, griefing and looting... it was a mess.

lol that guy....he got pissed at me and my buddy when we all played dungeon defenders together because we were telling him what to do and he wouldn't do it, so we lost. he'd never played before whereas we'd each put in 200+ hours.

he also would get mad at me if I was on steam but not playing a game, and declined his invitation to play dawn of war 2. dude was hilariously annoying.

funny thing is...I played with him on the terraria server and he added me on steam after he spent a few days building right next to me.

Retro

So, it's pretty clear that the Pre-orders are going to break 750k and Fossils will be added in. I'd say it's obvious that the next stretch reward is going to be at the 1m mark, anyone want to speculate what it could be?

lol that guy...

Yeah, after I blocked him on Steam, he kept spamming some kind of trade option that went around the block, and when that didn't work he tracked down my youtube account and started spamming me there. It was very weird, I think he had something wrong with him.

This might be the first "kickstarter" I actually buy into. Bought Terraria at full price release week and loved it for what I got out of it (I quit before all the major updates, but still). This looks even better.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Maybe an 8th Race to be an Even Number? Or anther Biome? (Though since they haven't announced what Biome's there are yet, it would be a bit moot)

More hats?

balddemon

Banned
So, it's pretty clear that the Pre-orders are going to break 750k and Fossils will be added in. I'd say it's obvious that the next stretch reward is going to be at the 1m mark, anyone want to speculate what it could be?

Yeah, after I blocked him on Steam, he kept spamming some kind of trade option that went around the block, and when that didn't work he tracked down my youtube account and started spamming me there. It was very weird, I think he had something wrong with him.

lmao! neckbeard for sure.

so I'm probably the only one who hasn't bought this game yet, anyone still wanting to do a 4 pack or should I just drop $15

Qvoth

i haven't bought it yet either
still unsure about it, since i've never played terraria i'm not too sure how this game plays

Jira

Maybe an 8th Race to be an Even Number? Or anther Biome? (Though since they haven't announced what Biome's there are yet, it would be a bit moot)

More hats?

I'd prefer it be anything over an 8th race only because 7 is more than sufficient IMO. As for what it is...I have no idea.

How long will it take before a major studio like Blizzard decides to make a sandbox building game? Minecraft has been out for years and has attracted quite a following. Wouldn't it be a no brainer for major studio to produce their own world builder that isn't Sim City related?

Mognet

Tiy or Chucklefish always seemed too ambitious to me with all these features they've promised in the past.

although i'll still be pretty happy if even half of them get implemented...

I'm going to guess something more done with dungeons. Seems like it's something that's mostly done that they could maybe go back to and impliment something they maybe had planned a while ago but abandoned for time.

How long will it take before a major studio like Blizzard decides to make a sandbox building game? Minecraft has been out for years and has attracted quite a following. Wouldn't it be a no brainer for major studio to produce their own world builder that isn't Sim City related?

I've thought the same thing. The closest it seems we've seen is Fortnite and it feels like we haven't heard anything from it for a while.

Tiy or Chucklefish always seemed too ambitious to me with all these features they've promised in the past.

At least half of them were in Terreria in some form, so I'm not too worried.

Skab

They're pretty much all already in the game and working, soo

Jira

Stretch goal 3 is.....Starter Pets!

I am glad this is something small because this isn't hard nor time consuming to implement so they can feature lock sooner and we can get our hands on the Beta sooner. Big awesome stuff can wait until after they launch.

BeesEight

I am glad this is something small because this isn't hard nor time consuming to implement so they can feature lock sooner and we can get our hands on the Beta sooner. Big awesome stuff can wait until after they launch.

If one of the starters is a red panda, I'll pre-order.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Boo. They sound useless and I would have liked something bigger for the 1 million milestone. Oh well, maybe we'll get a trailer now that the orders have slowed down.

Jira

Boo. They sound useless and I would have liked something bigger for the 1 million milestone. Oh well, maybe we'll get a trailer now that the orders have slowed down.

I had the same thoughts, but as I said they need to feature lock at some point and adding some big new feature would just delay the game. You can't keep delaying the game with feature creep.

EDIT: Turns out they are feature locked for launch and anything new will be added by hiring new people to work on it and won't affect the release date. They threw up a poll asking if you want the pets or not and if not, what?

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/stretch-goal-thoughts-pets.18436/

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
eya dudes and dudettes,

I'll be honest. When we were getting ready to launch our pre-order, we didn't expect it to do nearly as well as it has. We worried we might not hit $50k much less $750k. When discussing what we thought we might make the first day, someone threw out the number $3,000 and it didn't sound too shabby. And then we surpassed that number in a matter of minutes, struggling for the next several hours to keep the servers afloat.
What?!?! They can't be serious. They had a huge thread on their forums asking for feedback on a possible preorder; surely they must have realized there was a huge number of people ready to throw money at them.

Jira

What?!?! They can't be serious. They had a huge thread on their forums asking for feedback on a possible preorder; surely they must have realized there was a huge number of people ready to throw money at them.

I think they're just being modest.

Top Bottom