• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound now available for preorder [Up: Stretch Goals]

VandalD

This probably isn't a thing they can just do - I've never been in game development, so I wouldn't know - but I really wish they could/would use the money to just get the game out faster. It's hard to suggest something that could be contracted out to be put into the game that wouldn't slow down the release. Even with the races and fossils - you can't just plug graphics into the game. There's code that has to be written to make fossils work in the way they presented, and I was pretty sure each race is going to have different dungeons and armor at least. I would think the Novakids would be included in that.

The starter pets actually seem to fit as a stretch goal better than the previous two features. They were already going to have a pet system in the game. It's probably easier to add more pets than it is to develop a whole new race and the systems surrounding fossils.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
That is actually what they are doing with it. Though Money only goes so far in getting out a product faster, which is why they are doing the stretch goal thing, since they have passed the point where more money makes a significant change in development time. Unless they want to try and hire more people to code, but doing it so close to the project being done could just slow them down.

The extra race is easy for them to implement, it just meant a ton of new art assists (Which is why the money just got funneled to artiest to make them). The Fossils is an iffy one, since they flat out haven't even started the implementation of the system, though I can see why they would want to do it before the game launches, it would be difficult to introduce retroactively since it would likely change how worlds are generated.

Jira

This probably isn't a thing they can just do - I've never been in game development, so I wouldn't know - but I really wish they could/would use the money to just get the game out faster. It's hard to suggest something that could be contracted out to be put into the game that wouldn't slow down the release. Even with the races and fossils - you can't just plug graphics into the game. There's code that has to be written to make fossils work in the way they presented, and I was pretty sure each race is going to have different dungeons and armor at least. I would think the Novakids would be included in that.

The starter pets actually seem to fit as a stretch goal better than the previous two features. They were already going to have a pet system in the game. It's probably easier to add more pets than it is to develop a whole new race and the systems surrounding fossils.

Believe it or not but their API for the engine is REALLY modular and efficient. For example, if you wanted to get a new block in the game, you'd make up the spritesheet, spend about 1 min or so writing the config file, and bam 2 min later you have new block. This stuff really applies to most of the game, some stuff is a bit more complex but they said it's insanely easy for them to add new stuff with the way they wrote the engine. Some stuff is more complex, but they've mentioned they are feature locked for the base game and the stuff like Novakids, Fossils, and Pets aren't too intensive to do outside of art assets. The Fossils require maybe a bit of programming, but the Pets as it stands are just some spritesheets, the Novakids are more complex, but just need to be altered to fit the many animation frames and plugged into the character creator and whatnot.

Retro

Keep in mind that the objective of the Pre-order was to get the two programmers they have now working full time, rather than having to take second jobs. Yes, a new race/fossils/whatever requires them to spend more time writing code, but now their programmers are writing more of it anyways.

Retro

Would beat features that are just going to delay release.

None of the stretch goals add development time; they've already stated that the game is feature locked and any additional content they add via Pre-orders will be done by new hires or outsourced.

Nohar

Omar the penguin is happy. So, I'm happy.

Seriously, this penguin is ridiculously cute. I want that penguin. Oh, and the game. I also want the game.

Retro

Can't see the site at work, no new stretch goal?

Nothing official yet. Apparently the community (such as it is) flipped out because "Pets are not cool enough" so they create a poll to ask if people wanted pets or not... a thread which is now something like 70 pages of just stupidity, people posting links to their godawful submission threads of things they want, people typing in all sorts of colors, sizes and caps telling people to shut up, what to vote for, not to vote, etc.

Their forum community is pretty bad, not the worst I've seen (That would be WoW forums) but still ugly.

So yeah, no idea what the next stretch goal will be.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I hadn't really looked at that one long pic posted earlier. That get's me all excited to play this and it's just only but a bit of the game. It's gonna be grand.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Damn, they went with starter pets for the one million goal.

Stretch Goal 3 – Starter Pets

2daC9kw.png

ykkpLhS.png

A mockup of what some in-game pets may look like.

In addition to the alien creatures you can capture and have fight alongside you as you travel through space, each player has the option of starting out with their very own customize-able pet! Each race has a choice of pets originating from their home planet that they’ll be able to customize through the character create screen.

They’re not quite strong enough to fight horrifying space monsters like their randomly-generated monster counterparts, but they make for lovable and useful companions all the same!

utqA29b.gif
5Cp8Zya.gif
25nlROW.gif
tWCQkug.gif
bjg6B2s.gif
BfjPHsC.gif

Paskil

Starter pets need to happen. Really wish that had been the second goal. It will be interesting to see how they incorporate the fossils, but I think most would agree that pets > fossils. :(

Almost tempted to throw more money at this or gift a friend or two.

Enco

Nothing official yet. Apparently the community (such as it is) flipped out because "Pets are not cool enough" so they create a poll to ask if people wanted pets or not... a thread which is now something like 70 pages of just stupidity, people posting links to their godawful submission threads of things they want, people typing in all sorts of colors, sizes and caps telling people to shut up, what to vote for, not to vote, etc.

Their forum community is pretty bad, not the worst I've seen (That would be WoW forums) but still ugly.

So yeah, no idea what the next stretch goal will be.
:lol

I'm ragging on them but pets are pretty cool to be honest. Only thing I would want more is a release date or beta release date.

Retro

I can see Starter Pets being cool if they're handled differently than the monster pets you can train because they're just cosmetic, you'll replace them somewhat quickly.

I think Starter Pets, since everyone gets them, should be treated more as an animal companion than a monster you use to fight. They should hang out on your spaceship and have some playful activities you can engage in. Buy a Rubber Ball and you can play fetch, buy them a bed or something and they nap. I think that'd be kind of cute, and make your cold, sterile spaceship a little more like home.

duckroll

I don't give a fuck about pets unless they can store items or eat garbage items up for me. Remember when I mentioned in the old Terraria thread that it would be cool to have a pet following you around to clean up an area when you're out of inventory space and you keep "digging up" stuff which just clutters the screen? :p

Killthee

Starter pets need to happen. Really wish that had been the second goal. It will be interesting to see how they incorporate the fossils, but I think most would agree that pets > fossils. :(

:lol

I'm ragging on them but pets are pretty cool to be honest. Only thing I would want more is a release date or beta release date.
The problem I have with starter pets as a stretch goal is that the game already has combat pets you can tame or resurrect via fossils. These new pets are purely cosmetic and serve no gameplay purpose.

I don't give a fuck about pets unless they can store items or eat garbage items up for me. Remember when I mentioned in the old Terraria thread that it would be cool to have a pet following you around to clean up an area when you're out of inventory space and you keep "digging up" stuff which just clutters the screen? :p
Pretty much this.

Tenks

Really you prefer a cosmetic thing that follows you around as opposed to an actual game mechanic?

BeesEight

I'm not feeding my hypothetical digital red panda dirt. What are you trying to do, get the Humane Society on me?

But yeah, hopefully they give them some feature beyond a little sprite that hops around behind you.

duckroll

I'm not feeding my hypothetical digital red panda dirt. What are you trying to do, get the Humane Society on me?

But yeah, hopefully they give them some feature beyond a little sprite that hops around behind you.

Well, my actual idea was that the pet would be a walking garbage bin. :p

Paskil

The problem I have with starter pets as a stretch goal is that the game already has combat pets you can tame or resurrect via fossils. These new pets are purely cosmetic and serve no gameplay purpose.

Pretty much this.

Really you prefer a cosmetic thing that follows you around as opposed to an actual game mechanic?

Yeah, that's actually my bad for not reading all the information there closely enough. I didn't realize there were already going to be combat pets and assumed it was an either/or proposition. Consider my previous statement retracted and a demand for some type of additional race or additional enhancements to other aspects instead.

I blame being distracted by the thought of built in FTL combat and shiny screenshots and video. :(

Killthee

Looks like they're taking the feedback they got into consideration.

Mollygos said:
Going on the poll results, the comments, and the fact that there's not a whole lot else we can promise without delaying the game further, we have decided to go with pets.

However, your feedback has been super useful and we're going to take absolutely all of it into considering in designing how the pets function, how useful they are, how best to customize them, the fact that not everyone will want one, etc.

You've trusted us so far, so I hope you'll trust that we'll make the pet system as awesome as possible. :) :love: We're not gonna release a buncha useless junk.

http://community.playstarbound.com/...-goal-thoughts-pets.18436/page-85#post-752839

BeesEight

Well, my actual idea was that the pet would be a walking garbage bin. :p

If I can name it Garbage Face then I'm on board.

Looks like they're taking the feedback they got into consideration.

Hopefully they'll update the info on pets once they have ironed out their ideas for them. The fossils are pretty neat so I'm glad those got in. I'm still pretty excited for the game (but would rather throw money at them for a release date over anything else).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Don't expect the Stretch goals to get better or bigger as time goes on, one of the Dev said they started with the best things first, and they don't want to add any feature that will significantly lengthen development. If they are already down to tiny pets that don't do anything, they likely don't have anything in the pipes.

My bet on the next Stretch goal to be something like more hats or weapons. Maybe putting them to community vote. Or maybe the beta will be out before they make it to $1 Million.

Also, apparently one of the the likely many things holding back releasing a Beta is the Enemy AI just isn't done yet.

Jira

Well...I want my money back.

Currently, we're using a 64-bit seed. However, we're also going to add metadata (such as world size, resident race, planet level, etc) and checksumming to that number, so it will probably wind up being around 80 maybe? maybe more? bits long by the time we're done.

So the answer is probably more than 18 quintillion worlds. Perhaps way more.

In numerical terms:

NOT NEARLY ENOUGH PLACES TO VISIT! REFUND TIME.

In all seriousness, it's nice to know that even if they don't add a single new piece of content or if I don't install a single mod, I will never run out of new places to visit.

Raxum

Well...I want my money back.

In numerical terms:

NOT NEARLY ENOUGH PLACES TO VISIT! REFUND TIME.

In all seriousness, it's nice to know that even if they don't add a single new piece of content or if I don't install a single mod, I will never run out of new places to visit.

With that many worlds this will definitely last me a long time, what's worse is that I'll probably want to try and "tame" worlds within an area of my home world and slowly expand it outwards. Not sure if empire building would be possible in this but having a sector that is reasonably tame for the purposes of resource gathering would definitely be something I'd like to work towards.

Jira

With that many worlds this will definitely last me a long time, what's worse is that I'll probably want to try and "tame" worlds within an area of my home world and slowly expand it outwards. Not sure if empire building would be possible in this but having a sector that is reasonably tame for the purposes of resource gathering would definitely be something I'd like to work towards.

I can see you say going to a system like this:

and making that your system your empire is a very real possibility and you could expand from there to new systems in the area and so on. Ultimately you could shoot for conquering an entire sector.

If you look here:

That is a part of sector space, I have guesstimated based on the system screen that the Large stars hold ~6 bodies, Medium might hold ~3-4, and Small might hold ~1-2. Now this is obviously purely guessing on my part, but just the part of that sector you see there, you might be looking at 70-80 different bodies you could visit. Actually....each of those planets can have moons and other areas to visit that I didn't take into account making the initial 70-80 number possibly double if not triple.

I'm actually working on a much nicer version of that infographic, the fact that it was made in paint about killed me. I'll have it posted today.

That infographic is seriously awesome!

Maybe I'm dumb, but I haven't kept up on this too much until recently, and admittedly I still don't know all the details about this. Is this multiplayer at all?

Killthee

Maybe I'm dumb, but I haven't kept up on this too much until recently, and admittedly I still don't know all the details about this. Is this multiplayer at all?
It has multiplayer support.

Multiplayer PVP and Servers

• PVP will be in the game at Beta release in normal sandbox mode, and there will most likely be pre-generated Arena Asteroids for organized game modes which will automatically keep score for you, however the arenas and special pvp game modes themselves will be post release.
  • The entire universe of experiences will be available in both Single player and Multi-player.
  • Servers will be able to hold as many players as they can based on thier power, and internet speed.
  • Character saves that are transferable from "local to server" and visa versa are planned and will be limited only by the choice of the server host. (New chars only, by item level etc.) "Think Neverwinter Nights" - Tiy
  • Servers can be launched from a dedicated server executable, but there may also be the option to launch the server from within the game client itself.
  • The games current net-code is already working, being called "smooth and seamless." - Rho
  • Server to Server portals to allow players to server hop mid-play are planned, but not set in stone.
  • Launching and joining LAN games will be relatively easy.
  • Players on a server are not required to be on the same planet at the same time, and may go off and explore different planets.
  • There are going to be various chat channels: Party chat, Planet chat, Universe chat, "Maybe "Guild" or "Corp" chat, if we implement that by release." - Tiy
  • Server moderators will eventually (post release feature) be able to set up and control their own player created missions on the fly, possessing npcs and making them talk/behave/attack/etc, anything a player can do. So rather than dialogue choices, you can have a real dialogue.
  • A "Crafting Server" option where all items/tiles are available at start to just build with is being considered, but will only be available post release as to not reveal all things in the game to early to people who use it.
  • In terms of Server Protection Controls and Moderation, the following are mentioned on the Roadmap as being planned. "Multiple chat channels, muting, banning, group chatting, broadcast messages, identification and authentication by password and/or by user key, forced nick changing, klining, banning by IP or client fingerprint. User whitelists. User permissions in the form of Access Control Lists"
  • Anti-cheat functions are planned for moderation.
Tons more info about the game here: http://community.playstarbound.com/...nced-game-information-updated-april-15th.450/

They also want to add a FTL style multiplayer space combat post launch:
Tiy said:
We'd like to do a kind of multiplayer FTL style combat system post release. With each player manning different systems on the ship, putting out fires, fighting boarding invaders, etc. I've got it all mapped out in my head. We just need to finish the game first :p

Jira

Oh yes. People can host servers and the only limit to how many can play is the internet connection and specs of the computer hosting the server. Also, they've talked about allowing you to "daisychain" servers together like say Server A has 10 people connected and Server B has 15, hooking them together would allow you to play with a total of 25 people and the bandwidth and resources are just split amongst 2 servers. This is very similar to how MMO servers work.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just realized that for the "Roadmap to the Stars", the people indicate what they are working on at the moment.

According to some twitter account some people rigged up to keep track of changes to the Roadmap, character creation is at 100% and Tiy is working on Items now.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
hope the FTL combat isnt pvp only or even multiplayer only ill mostly be playing co-op with a friend but id still like to get npcs to man positions on my ship

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I no longer buy things based on promises/ideas.

They wanted to add a shit load of stuff to Terraria and none of it ever came.

Yeah. Tiy said their PR person pushed for an early launch, and then Redigit decided to stop development due to stuff in their personal life. Though Redigit likely would have stepped down ether way.

Top Bottom