• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ to Receive $6.55 Million in Sale of IP to Nordic Games, Gearbox, and 505

I guess with a new gen of consoles up coming, they could wait a year or so, hire some dev team on the cheap and release Darksiders 1 and 2 ports for PS4/Durango/WiiU DD.

Acorn

6 mil. I expected bargain basement prices given the circumstances but damn that is low. Zero confidence in those properties by the market.

ArjanN

At the very least they are willing to release the originals on DD. Speaking as someone who never played them but heard a lot about them, I'd say that's better than nothing.

Yeah, whatever else they do with this IP, at least that's good news.
It seems like a smart purchase, they can probably make that money back on a steam release of the first 2 games alone.

Red Faction was already on life support and Summoner? There hasn't been a Summoner game in 11 years.

Yeah, realistically most of these were already dead.

graywolf323

well the one positive I can think of for Nordic Games having bought pretty much everything is we'll definitely see the games on Steam and GOG

just sad we'll never get new ones

bryanee

Oh man, it was fun while it lasted Darksiders. I adore the first game and the second game was good fun if a step back. Its a shame we may not see the story finished.

war-o.gif

Valnen

I guess with a new gen of consoles up coming, they could wait a year or so, hire some dev team on the cheap and release Darksiders 1 and 2 ports for PS4/Durango/WiiU DD.

I'd buy a PS4 collection of the games if they looked like maxed out PC versions with AA at 60 FPS. PS4 hardware could easily handle that.

Oh man, it was fun while it lasted Darksiders. I adore the first game and the second game was good fun if a step back. Its a shame we may not see the story finished.

Would be cool if they could finish the story somehow. Like maybe a digital comic or something. Or anything really.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Oh yeah that is a possibility. But I think in general we can expect that Darksiders and Red Faction are pretty much dead IPs at this point in terms of possible future games. If no one wants to even pay 1-2 million for the IPs, no one is going to invest 10 million into an actual game. RIP.

Certainly. Nordic has no plans to make any of these games. And if anyone is crazy enough to do so, Nordic will just sell the IP to them on the upsell and walk away with a nice profit.

scitek

Doubt it. Nordic paid $4.6 million for 5 packages. If Crytek really wanted the IP, they would have got it. The right price for them is less than what Nordic paid for it.

Oh I'm sure it'll always be on the table.

On the bright side, at least these games should remain on DD services. I'll take that over them being pulled.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah. Short of nobody buying the stuff and subsequently casting the rights into legal limbo, that's pretty much the worst case scenario. The best thing Nordic Games will do with those games would be to put them on GOG, any attempt to produce sequels will probably go as well as the Painkiller sequels (i.e. they will be shite). I'm surprised that Homeworld is the only IP more than one company bidded on, since I expected some interest in Red Faction and Darksiders, not just a company that obviously put in minimum bids to everything for teh lolz.

Nordic Games, a totally unknown publisher getting one of my favorite franchises, damn, this day couldn't get any worse.

This is a sad day my friend, it is all lost.

Celine

What you need to consider is that acquiring the license is only part of the costs, the rest is funding (and marketing) new games.
Sale potential of many of those second tier THQ franchises is limited.

Unless the plan is simply to release old stuff on GOG and hoping to made up the initial investment.
Holy Shit: 505 got a sweet deal out of this. Drawn to Life are always million sellers so that is successful business.
Sales aren't guarantee though.
Draw to Life is a good fit for 505 cause the cost to develop new games are low and they fit in the company "casual" lineup (it seems a safe bet for them).

Look at those prices. It seems to indicate no major publisher was interested in any of them at all. Lol.

Homeworld may be developed at that IP price IMO. May.

An IP with the last title be released 10 years ago isn't going to pick 1.35 million easy, even if "re-released" on Steam or GOG. Would have to move almost 100,000 units around $20 a piece to make up the IP cost (when counting retailer, re-release development, and other admin costs). It's possible though that is GB plan but seems like a high price for a 10 year old legacy game.

Other option is maybe an "HD" remaster which is all the rage these days.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Look at those prices. It seems to indicate no major publisher was interested in any of them at all. Lol.

Why should they be. Besides Homeworld(?) and Drawn to Life (Citation Needed?) none of the titles really set the world on fire.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I do feel it says some interesting things about the market that what ultimately amounts to an ancient and dead RTS series was seen as more desirable than Darksiders or Red Faction.

I do feel it says some interesting things about the market that what ultimately amounts to an ancient and dead RTS series was seen as more desirable than Darksiders or Red Faction.

FPS and Action games over valued (overdone) in the market place?

Probably right.

Outside of unique games (like Bioshock Inf), they are all the same. And Bioshock Infinite could've been 5x better with less stress on the mass fighting and easy ammo.

Celine

Sit on the IP, sell the games that already exist, collect cash for doing basically nothing.

It's conceivable they could publish an MX game since those sold pretty well and it could cost very little to make.
Yeah, I expect some "cheap" games from a few of those franchises, maybe coded by a eastern europe PC developer.

You know, the more I think about it and even though I'm disappointed with the company of late, Gearbox released their press release about Homeworld REALLY fast. They must be excited to own this IP for a some long term reason.

Being the Homeworld style of gameplay has never really been replicated in the last several years, there is a chance of them getting a successful title with "refreshingly new gameplay" out of it....if they don't F--- it up.

Duffyside

Banned
All I can think is what a shame it is that so many people don't know just how good Red Faction: Guerrilla is. Was. Could be.

Portman

I get the feeling it was more "OMG WE <3 HOMEWORLD!!! DADDY RANDY USE YOUR MONIES TO BUY US THE LICENSE!!!"

I will be glad to see the Homeworld games finally become (easily) available via digital distribution but I'm also extremely worried about what Gearbox will do with the license beyond that since they have zero experience making RTS games. Randy Pitchford better not get in front of a camera in the next few months and start telling us how he loves Homeworld and always wanted to make something etc...

I'm also sad to see Red Faction go to a company that will just produce ostrich hammer mini games with it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I get the feeling it was more "OMG WE <3 HOMEWORLD!!! DADDY RANDY USE YOUR MONIES TO BUY US THE LICENSE!!!"

I will be glad to see the Homeworld games finally become (easily) available via digital distribution but I'm also extremely worried about what Gearbox will do with the license beyond that since they have zero experience making RTS games. Randy Pitchford better not get in front of a camera in the next few months and start telling us how he loves Homeworld and always wanted to make something etc...

I'm also sad to see Red Faction go to a company that will just produce ostrich hammer mini games with it.

We found out from Randy Pitchford's twitter though that they were doing a live auction against two other companies, and those companies weren't Stardock and Paradox (but instead people who bid higher than either).

Top Bottom