• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Microsoft 6 months behind in game production for X720 [Pastebin = Ban]

Mandoric

Banned
I mean how many secret title could they have that happen to use voice commands using Kinect.

It's built-in now, so some flavor of "Xbox, start multiplayer" is quite possibly a TRC requirement and/or heavily suggested like the idiotic "paw at bottom screen like chihuahua on meth" segments in every DS game 2004-2007.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
PS4 can go over 2 TFLOPs if Sony increases the CPU speed to 2.0 GHz (I think they have done this already) and GPU core to 1 GHz (memory clocks will also have to be increased).

This is what I was thinking a while back but given how many times the 1.84 number has been said by Cerny I don't think it'll happen. You can tell they're going for matched clocks based on the rumors for both consoles and as much as they probably want to up the CPU speed I think it'll be held back by the ability of the GPU to upclock which I don't think is happening. Unless of course the matched clocks benefits aren't needed anymore, in which case the GPU will likely stay the same while the CPU gets a boost.

Majanew

Banned
No need for logic when reading a Tale from the Ass.

I know it's fake, but the faker could have gotten his post more time in the spotlight if he took that part out.

I'll take an 8GB DDR3, 6GB GDDR5, 2.3TFLOPS Xbox. Thanks, MS. You the best.

Why would 4GBs of the 8GB DDR3 be needed for games if there's 6GB of GDDR5 for games?

diehard25.jpg

This is what I was thinking a while back but given how many times the 1.84 number has been said by Cerny I don't think it'll happen. You can tell they're going for matched clocks based on the rumors for both consoles and as much as they probably want to up the CPU speed I think it'll be held back by the ability of the GPU to upclock which I don't think is happening. Unless of course the matched clocks benefits aren't needed anymore, in which case the GPU will likely stay the same.

yea they have mentioned the 1.8 tflop number a lot....

Melchiah

This is what I was thinking a while back but given how many times the 1.84 number has been said by Cerny I don't think it'll happen. You can tell they're going for matched clocks based on the rumors for both consoles and as much as they probably want to up the CPU speed I think it'll be held back by the ability of the GPU to upclock which I don't think is happening. Unless of course the matched clocks benefits aren't needed anymore, in which case the GPU will likely stay the same.

What exactly are the benefits of matched clocks?

DEADEVIL

I know it's fake, but the faker could have gotten his post more time in the spotlight if he took that part out.

I'll take an 8GB DDR3, 6GB GDDR5, 2.3TFLOPS Xbox. Thanks, MS. You the best.

Lol. Whoa whoa. Didn't he warn us to temper our expectations?

As it stands now, the GPU has ~2.3 TFLOPS (it was ~2.7 when we received the kits - again, sorry for not giving you the *exact* number). I have no idea if this is the final number or if they will work on a better cooling solution or something like that. It probably could even go further down, I don't know, so don't be too excited

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
yea they have mentioned the 1.8 tflop number a lot....

I just think it's weird that the only bit of tech info on PS4 we don't have is the CPU clock. We have in depth info on some of the advanced customizations and everything, but not a basic CPU clock. I think something is going on there although I doubt it'll be a major upgrade to the rumors.

What exactly are the benefits of matched clocks?
On an APU you can divide tasks between a CPU and the GPU instead of having to do all of it on one or the other. For example if 75% of a calculation was better served on the GPU while the other 25% was better handled on the CPU you can split it like that instead of forcing the GPU to power through that 25% it's not good at. It's a pretty big efficiency boost. With clocks matched to be perfect multiples of each other (aka the 1.6GHz CPU and 800MHz GPU numbers we've heard) you can time the processes to match up and be done at the same time. It used to be that on an APU they were required to match but they don't have to any more, it just helps when dividing processes. There is a chance they may have overcome that though, I don't know.

onQ123

Why would 4GBs of the 8GB DDR3 be needed for games if there's 6GB of GDDR5 for games?

Because at some time in the second half of 2012 Microsoft must have realized that their vision of a console powered by 6GB of GDDR5 will have a hard time competing with the PS4 with 8GB of GDDR5 so they added 4GB of DDR3.

:)

Majanew

Banned
Because at some time in the second half of 2012 Microsoft must have realized that their vision of a console powered by 6GB of GDDR5 will have a hard time competing with the PS4 with 8GB of GDDR5 so they added 4GB of DDR3.

:)

But the bandwidth for Microsoft's GDDR5 is faster than Sony's. Meaning it can read all of its 6GB GDDR5 per frame... while Sony can only access 5.8GB of the 8GB per frame @ 176GB/s.

Be right back. I'm gonna go be an anonymous dev and post a pastebin about Xbox Derpango.

Sounddeli

Banned
And the rumors keep coming

Hi, I am a developer at a big studio (we are currently working on titles for the next generation of consoles) and I want to give you all an update about the current situation regarding the Xbox. I obviously can't tell you who I exactly am and where I work, and I have to be a little careful about what I say, because I fear some of the documentation and even the hardware our studio has received, contains individual values and terms which can be traced back to my studio in case of leaks, which would be very unpleasant for us.

I think at some time in the second half of 2012 Microsoft must have realised that their vision of a console powered by an APU with 1.23 TFLOPS graphics processing power will have a hard time competing with the PS4. It also became seemingly clear at that time, that Sony could quite easily upgrade the RAM in their new console, due to new chips being available with higher capacities. Although I guess they didn't *know* that Sony would really go with 8 GB at that time, they knew it was a possibility. The problem was, they were running out of time. Their old design was not very flexible, so they had to come up with something new.

So they completely scrapped the APU approach, and basically rebuilt the whole architecture from scratch with even more off-the-shelf parts. The current kits we have received a while ago have a discrete CPU and a discrete GPU. The CPU is still x86, has 8 cores and has still relatively low clocks, but it's not Jaguar as far as I am aware. I guess they did choose a CPU with a slightly bigger die now, because size isn't as important anymore as it was on the APU, but I don't know exactly because the cases are sealed and I can't take a look inside. The GPU is also new, and it is not GCN1, at least that's what I heard from our programmers. More about the GPU further down. There was also a big change regarding memory architecture: It is no longer a unified memory solution. There are now two memory pools: One with 8 GB DDR3 RAM (34 GB/s, 4 GB available for games), and one with 6 GB GDDR5 RAM (192 GB/s, all available for games). eSRAM is GONE! Technically the devkit has 16 GB DDR3 RAM, but the Xbox will ship with 8GB DDR3 (and 6GB GDDR5). The downside of going with a discrete CPU/GPU is loosing some of the APU synergy effects, but I guess it's not too bad and it was the only way to update the specs, because designing a new custom chip was certainly not possible in that time frame.

There is currently some confusion about clock speeds and processing power, I cannot give you exact numbers, because they are... a little bit odd right now, and as I wrote above I suspect it's a way of tracking leaks. When we received the kits, we where a bit suprised because they had the same cases as the old ones, which seems strange because a discrete CPU/GPU with split RAM obviously needs a little bit more space / cooling. And they where loud. Really loud. Shortly after we received the kits we got an update which reduced clock values slightly, because some devs have reported problems with heat. As it stands now, the GPU has ~2.3 TFLOPS (it was ~2.7 when we received the kits - again, sorry for not giving you the *exact* number). I have no idea if this is the final number or if they will work on a better cooling solution or something like that. It probably could even go further down, I don't know, so don't be too excited - our games are currently built with lower specs in mind. A personal theory of mine is that they postponed the reveal to work on an updated case, which is better suited for the updated specs.

Kinect has received some updates, but we only have implemented a few voice commands for our game. Not sure if they will include Kinect with every console. Would make sense so that more games use this, but in the end it's Microsoft's decision. Our dev kits are currently "always-on", meaning they need a internet connection to start and all, but I am not sure if this will carry over to the final Xbox, I guess it's just a way for Microsoft to track dev kits right now. Our game doesn't need to be always-on. Which doesn't mean it won't be there on a OS level, I just don't know. I also have no idea how Microsoft will price this thing, I guess $500, as rumored, makes sense somehow. I don't have much insight into their internal strategies. I hope I could give you a nice sneak peak at the reveal, our game will also be there, too, and it's a secret title, very excited! :)

http://pastebin.com/CiKCVeiA

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
You know what really irks me about this pre-reveal stage?

The utter abuse of the word "rumor".

A rumor is something that usually comes from multiple sources and is given some weight by the virtue of the number of authoritive sources discussing it, it is not a singular post on a forum or text posted to Pastebin.

Seriously, cut that shit out and call them what they are, shit posts, they're not rumors, just shitty noise in a low signal environment.

You know what really irks me about this pre-reveal stage?

The utter abuse of the word "rumor".

A rumor is something that usually comes from multiple sources and is given some weight by the virtue of the number of authoritive sources discussing it, it is not a singular post on a forum or text posted to Pastebin.

Seriously, cut that shit out and call them what they are, shit posts, they're not rumors, just shitty noise in a low signal environment.

They are not rumours. They are tales from asses. And they are enjoyable in their own special way lol

If the specs are improved at a noticeable amount, I think you should do something you would never vow to do...

Pursue a date with Hitomi Tanaka.

But since that would probably never happen... Well... You're safe.

Sure, I'll send her a message on her site, no problem. Watch a flick involving her? Never happening. Chick is garbage, no body, got tumors on her chest, and face looks like she got hit with the Diamond Cutter over bricks.

That pastebin rumor is ridiculous but lets say it true just for the fun of it 6GB of GDDR5 is already 12 chips not counting the DDR3.
That system would be a pain in the ass to manufacture and expensive to make \sell .

That pastebin rumor is ridiculous but lets say it true just for the fun of it 6GB of GDDR5 is already 12 chips not counting the DDR3.
That system would be a pain in the ass to manufacture and expensive to make \sell .

Then you have two separate memory controllers, which is always fun.

16 chips for the DDR3, 12 for GDDR5.

And the rumors keep coming

Interesting rumour - but laughable all the same.

So this supposed game developer goes out of their way with an exposition on why they cannot say who they are (no shit), and then throws a theory behind why Microsoft would change their plans (pure speculation), and then throws some figures out - yet doesn't seem to know too much about them... they're simply just 'bigger' than what we've seen previously.

I hope it's true - I really do. I want a Microsoft/Sony power brawl with a difficult-to-declare winner... but rumours like this, in that format... fucking joke.

Mandoric

Banned
'PS3 did it' is a bad philosophy to have when trying to design a console. I love the system but the design is kind of a mess.

The design's not -bad- so much as -not good-. Out of about $3bn cumulative losses you can pin $1bn on gearing up to build 150m Cells in 2 years and another $500m on blue laser shortages.

Add in a serious but cheaper twin and yeah, Sony's numbers are fucked for half a decade.

Mandoric

Banned
If the specs are improved at a noticeable amount, I think you should do something you would never vow to do...

Pursue a date with Hitomi Tanaka.

But since that would probably never happen... Well... You're safe.

Can I have a date with Hiromichi Tanaka where I get him stinking drunk and extract top secret details on the FFXI damage and droprate formulae?

Top Bottom