• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Microsoft 6 months behind in game production for X720 [Pastebin = Ban]

It's a little silly of me to jump to conclusions like that, I mean it's not like they released defective hardware in the past right. :lol

Dude, it's been nearly five years since the Jasper models that solved this issue were put on the market. It's one thing to point out a huge failure on MS' part, but let's acknowledge the fact that they have designed and released to market three hardware revisions that work as well as any post BC-hardware PS3s do. Five years, three successful revisions. After losing a billion dollars or whatever and suffering a blow to their reputation, I'm pretty convinced that they've done a pretty good job of improving their hardware in the aftermath of those early lead-free solder-powered failures.

A top gaming site on these rumors:

A reliable source tells us that Microsoft is even further behind than what the Kotaku rumors have stated saying that they have only begun development on Xbox Durango software three weeks ago.

Our reliable source explained that Microsoft had forgotten that for a launch to be successful, there needs to be games that people want to play. Their work has mainly been focused on hardware including the rumored Kinect 2.0 which includes work on fifteen tech demos that demonstrates the power of motion sensing. Unfortunately for Microsoft, none of them are considered by staff to be actual games that consumers will want to purchase.

Work on the highly-anticipated Halo 5 also only started three weeks ago and so far 343 Industries anticipates a completion date in 2015. Microsoft is currently struggling for ideas on a Halo spin-off that can be completed in five months. Some Microsoft developers like Turn 10 and Lionhead Studios have been contacted to see if they can quickly develop spin-offs like Forza Banshee or just replace the main character of their game with Master Chief.

We’ve also heard from industry insiders that Microsoft has just now begun trying to secure more games for the Durango. Contract negotiations have been difficult for them as many companies have already signed exclusives with Sony and even Nintendo. Although our source can not reveal what companies have rejected Microsoft, he says that they were desperate to get their foot into the next-generation door and were tired of waiting even if it meant signing with Nintendo.

Microsoft is also cutting costs in any way possible to bolster and hasten the development of new Durango software. Our insider says that Rare’s funding has been cut so drastically that they can no longer afford to work on anything except Kinect Sports 3. It is a tactic that has been used before on internal studios like Rare when they were caught working on new, original games not approved by Microsoft.

Another source tells us that Microsoft has learned some lessons from the Wii U launch and has redefined the term launch window to mean one to two years in the future.

http://www.p4rgaming.com/rumor-microsoft-just-started-work-on-durango-games-three-weeks-ago/

From a parody site, obviously

Of course, it is better to release defective known hardware (and repeat all the losses thanks to RROD). It sound logical.

Where in my comment did I make the claim that MS had prior knowledge that their hardware was defective and that they sold it to the public regardless? All I'm saying is that it happened once and could happen again.

So fucking fake. Sony doesn't have the authority to do this, and even if they did they'd be sued for anti-competitive behavior.

List of the Board of Directors for the BDA (as of June '09):
Apple Inc.
Dell Inc.
Hewlett-Packard
Hitachi, Ltd.
Intel Corporation
LG Electronics
Mitsubishi Electric
Panasonic Corporation
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
Sun Microsystems
TDK Corporation
Technicolor SA
20th Century Fox
Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group
Warner Bros. Entertainment

I don´t think that Sony alone can block this, isn´t it like a BD-association where lots of companies are involved? I mean, doesn´t every company (unlike Sony) actually like to make money?

I don't know, it depends on how much influence Sony has in those little circles but I'm sure they would do anything they could to get the upper hand, as would MS. It just seems a little odd that this could be what hold up their competitors product and it just so happens to be something that Sony is directly tied too. It could be totally untrue but it does make for a good conspiracy theory.

1.8TF/1.2TF is not 20%. And that's not even factoring the bandwith difference. Even if Durango gets X360 SOC to provide BC, it's still going to be over 20% in raw performance difference.

Yep, and the question remains how many resources Durango is holding back for non gaming features/services

The rumours pointed to 3 GB RAM and 2 CPU cores are reserved and not available for games.

On the PS4 rumours point to 1 GB RAM and 1 CPU core are reserved.

If true the gap would be even more significant.

Which would suggest its a mistake they would be keen not to make again. Having said that, if hardware design mistakes were easily predictable, they wouldn't be made in the first place.

That issue was well known and yet the hardware was still released. This is a crazy business and people will do anything for marketshare/profit.

CookTrain

I don't know, it depends on how much influence Sony has in those little circles but I'm sure they would do anything they could to get the upper hand, as would MS. It just seems a little odd that this could be what hold up their competitors product and it just so happens to be something that Sony is directly tied too. It could be totally untrue but it does make for a good conspiracy theory.

Surely if Sony were blocking an otherwise typical licensing deal in that fashion, they'd get in some real anti-competitive hot water?

If there's a problem, it'll be because MS has bungled their licensing somehow... and given the swathes of lawyers they keep on the ready, I would suspect the story is just bogus entirely.

iceatcs

Yeah, even possible MS is happy to pay the licence if Sony doesn't take the share money. Still very unlikely anyway.

Mandoric

Banned

It's paranoid spew by people who assume Blu-ray is Sony's baby rather than run by a council of 20 or so companies and licenced out under nondiscriminatory terms. The only way it's even remotely possible is if MS wants special exemptions to the rules every other Blu-ray player has to operate under.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The other companies have too much stake on the board. Sony can't do anything about it alone. IT's been a popular point of speculation but the board won't do anything that will stop another major consumer product from adding blu ray since they want to increase its market penetration.

Where in my comment did I make the claim that MS had previous knowledge that their hardware was defective and that they sold it to the public regardless? All I'm saying is that it happened once and could happen again.

Then, MS don't know that beta kits are hot, but some gafer know it... LOL...

Surely if Sony were blocking an otherwise typical licensing deal in that fashion, they'd get in some real anti-competitive hot water?

If there's a problem, it'll be because MS has bungled their licensing somehow... and given the swathes of lawyers they keep on the ready, I would suspect the story is just bogus entirely.

yeah no, that would be illegal but there's nothing illegal about arguing over terms of the contracts/fees, and if that just so happens to cause some delays and stress for MS I think Sony just might be perfectly fine with that.

So we're back to entertaining conspiracy theories? Oh joy. That's nothing more than click bait, there were dozens of them before the 360 and especially the PS3 launched.

Raide

So we're back to entertaining conspiracy theories? Oh joy. That's nothing more than click bait, there were dozens of them before the 360 and especially the PS3 launched.

At this point, any information is interesting to see. It does make the 21st wait so much harder. :D

Mandoric

Banned
yeah no, that would be illegal but there's nothing illegal about arguing over terms of the contracts/fees, and if that just so happens to cause some delays and stress for MS I think Sony just might be perfectly fine with that.

It's not Sony's decision, and even if it was it would be extremely legally shaky; they would be in breach of contract with the other several hundred Blu-ray technology holders who have jointly agreed to licence the spec on a non-discriminatory basis. Additionally it's my impression that the RAND status of Blu-ray licencing means MS would be seen as acting in good faith if they simply pressed ahead with manufacture and placed the standard license fees in escrow.

Socky

That issue was well known and yet the hardware was still released. This is a crazy business and people will do anything for marketshare/profit.

I wasn't aware of that, but it doesn't really alter the fact that if they had known in enough time to fix the problem then they doubtless would have done so. I'm suggesting that future hardware problems are still possible, with the best will in the world, for any manufacturer, although not I think likely at this point. Just saying.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Getting crazy in here Sony can not block anyone from using Blu ray .

lol I like how if Microsoft is having problems with Blu-Ray licensing, people are already running around with their heads cut off trying to implicate Sony in the matter. The BRA is a consortium of many companies including Sony, Samsung, etc. If anything was happening, it would be a sum of a whole, not Sony in the shadows pulling strings like Gendo Ikari.

Saberus

You can mostly blame Microsoft for all this rumour crap going on. Taking their sweet time to reveal this thing.

I wasn't aware of that, but it doesn't really alter the fact that if they had known in enough time to fix the problem then they doubtless would have done so. I'm suggesting that future hardware problems are still possible, with the best will in the world, for any manufacturer, although not I think likely at this point. Just saying.

Yes, that's absolutely true. One can never predict how new hardware will be. I hope both Sony and MS have good luck with their hardware.

Microsoft doesn't have problems with licensing in most cases. But recently Sony assumed complete control over the Blu-ray Disc Association and are now blocking MS to get the licenses in time. Actually they planned to loose money on the PS3 from the start so they could win the format war knowing MS would have to come out eventually asking for licenses for their next console.

It all sounds very elaborate, but trust me, Sony thought this through very carefully.

Oppo

Do we know (rumour-wise) if the new Xbox is even supposed to play blu-ray movies?

Do they need a license to create a proprietary format based on blu-ray as Nintendo have done?

ekim

What if Durango never existed and this is all an huge and elaborate ruse from MS?
I've watched Argo yesterday

Melchiah

While I don't believe that's true, the idea of Sony countering Microsoft's 3rd party software exclusives with hardware exclusives is hilarious.

According to the source it looks like Microsoft is having trouble getting the Blu-ray license for the new console mounted player (because, apparently, of some kind of long time Sony exclusive to the console market), and this caused a delay in the time to market.

RayMaker

Banned
-May 21s, Activison guy: Cod ghosts will be launching November 2013,, butttt you wont be able to get it on xbox next for another six months

no, just no

Top Bottom