• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who only kinda sorta like anime...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macmanus

Recommend some things for me. I strongly dislike probably 98% of all anime produced. To be fair, I strongly dislike 98% of everything.

What I have enjoyed; All Miyazaki (I'm not a philistine), All Satoshi Kon. Classics like Akira, Ghost In the Shell, and Grave of the Fireflies. For some reason I even got into Evangelion.

What else should I explore? I've had Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note recommended. I didn't enjoy either, though I probably didn't give Death Note the chance it deserved.

as a somewhat casual anime fan:

Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Golden Boy

Golden Boy is pretty pervy, but it's hilariously pervy in a way that resonates with me. Watch it in English also.

GrizzNKev

Banned
You sound a lot like me but you don't like the same shows. I don't know shit about anime but I thoroughly enjoyed a select few shows. The rest I tried to watch are awful.

Mechazawa

Obligatory Planetes recommendation.

Starts out as a bad and corny comedy for the first couple of episodes and then turns into one of the best anime series ever.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Attack on Titan is good so far.

I only like hot-blooded anime. What would people recommend?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I've never heard of these closet cases.

blackflag

I'd say I barely like anime but I loved these:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan
Monster
Cowboy Beebop
Code geass
Samurai Champloo

If you can stick with it to the end, Revolutionary Girl Utena is at the height of the medium for me.

Serial Experiments Lain is also worth a watch, the whole thing is quite the experiment but it's also fully formed and thought provoking.

Also the manga is better, but Berserk is a pretty excellent tragedy with some pretty great characterization.

I'll try to think of others but if icarus-daedalus posts pretty much just watch the stuff she recommends.

i guess the endearing anime suggestion club seems to imply that cowboy bebop is perfect.. and i can't argue with that. it's one of the best shows i've ever seen and that in and of itself seems to say that it's a recommendation.. but it's much more than that. i wish so many s hows could get to the point that cowboy bebop does, in its dialogue and in its structural setting.

Camjo-Z

Lupin III, specifically the second series (aka Red Jacket Series) and The Castle of Cagliostro. You can thank me later.

I think you would like Code Geass.

Its like Death Note but a guy has a power to mind control people and he uses it to raise an army using mechs.

Really good.
Check it out or some clips or trailers.

Attack on Titan is good so far.

I only like hot-blooded anime. What would people recommend?

Shin Mazinger is one of the best hot blooded mecha shows that doesn't descend into sheer stupidity and it actually has a really interesting plot. Gurren Lagann if you just want balls to the walls crazy shit. Redline is also great for the latter, it's only a movie so it's not too much of a time investment.

Darryl

Banned
based on the stuff you've seen, maybe Mushishi?

it doesn't sound like you'd enjoy Darker than Black but I have to recommend it every time one of these threads come up because I don't like a whole lot of anime yet love that show

GrizzNKev

Banned
I didn't like FLCL that much, it had really unique animation but tried too hard to be deep.

Code Geass is my #1 with Gurren Lagann in the second spot.

Recommend some things for me. I strongly dislike probably 98% of all anime produced. To be fair, I strongly dislike 98% of everything.

What I have enjoyed; All Miyazaki (I'm not a philistine), All Satoshi Kon. Classics like Akira, Ghost In the Shell, and Grave of the Fireflies. For some reason I even got into Evangelion.

What else should I explore? I've had Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note recommended. I didn't enjoy either, though I probably didn't give Death Note the chance it deserved.

If you liked Evangelion, check out "Martian Successor Nadesico" It's in outerspace a little more, but I prefer the cast of Nadesico more.

Also, Cowboy Bebop, definitely.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
We're in a fairly similar boat: I enjoyed the Miyazaki that I've seen, Grave of the Fireflies, and aspects of Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent. It would take too much effort to list the numerous ones I've disliked.

Beyond these, the only anime I've liked were Haibane Renmei, Serial Experiments Lain, and Mind Game. All three of these were pretty outstanding.

VASPER

Banned
C'mon son all good choices but you need to watch Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, I liked Samurai 7 aswell but last Berserk. try all of these and report back.

cowboy bebop, FLCL, trigun

basically all gainax.

Gunbuster, Evangelion, FLCL, Gurren Lagann.

In this order. Also, Death Note.

Try movies : paprika, summer wars, 30 sec per seconds, The girl who leap through time...

Edit : if you like Ghost in the Shell, the anime is amazing. Google Stand Alone Complex.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Shin Mazinger is one of the best hot blooded mecha shows that doesn't descend into sheer stupidity and it actually has a really interesting plot. Gurren Lagann if you just want balls to the walls crazy shit. Redline is also great for the latter, it's only a movie so it's not too much of a time investment.

I watched the first half of the first episode of shin mazinger z and it was completely and utterly incomprehensible. Around 30 characters were introduced within that 10 minutes and not a single thing made any sort of sense or tied together with anything else at all ever. It was the worst 10 minutes of any show that I've ever seen in my entire life. It's not "hot-blooded". It has to actually make sense to be hot-blooded. It's actually worse than Gattaca.

FYC

Banned
Monster

rNJtOau.jpg

Dr. Kenzo Tenma is a renowned young brain surgeon of Japanese descent working in Europe. Highly lauded by his peers as one of the great young minds that will revolutionize the field, he is blessed with a beautiful fiancé and is on the cusp of a high promotion in the hospital he works at. However, all of that is about to change with one critical decision that Dr. Tenma faces one night—whether to save the life of a young child or that of the town's mayor. Despite being pressured by his superiors to perform surgery on the mayor, his morals force him to perform the surgery on the young child, saving his life and forfeiting the mayor's. All of a sudden, Dr. Tenma's world is turned upside down by his decision leading to the loss of everything he previously had. A doctor is taught to believe that all life is equal; however, when a series of murders occur in the vicinity of Dr. Tenma, all of the evidence pointing to the young child who he saved, Tenma's beliefs are shaken.

Naoki Urasawa's Monster is a tale full of mystery, suspense and intrigue as Dr. Tenma journeys to find out the true identity of the young child. In turn, the fate of the world may depend on it.

Haibane Renmei

L6OEs5A.jpg

A dream of falling from the sky... and then birth. Rakka is born from a large cocoon into the Old Home, greeted by a group of females with small wings on their backs and shining halos above their heads. Soon Rakka’s own wings grow, a halo is placed on her head and she is told that she must work in the nearby town of Grie. She soon realizes that the town and the entire world they live in are confined behind the Wall, a tall, impenetrable wall that none except the mysterious Toga are allowed to exit.

Serial Experiments Lain

hTrmATR.jpg

Lain Iwakura appears to be an ordinary girl, with almost no experience with computers. Yet the sudden suicide of a schoolmate, and a number of strange occurrences, conspire to pull Lain into the world of the Wired, where she gradually learns that nothing is what it seems to be... not even Lain herself.

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

C9QSlRd.jpg

After witnessing the suicide bombing of a terrorist girl, Constable Kazuki Fuse becomes haunted by her image, and is forced to undergo retraining for his position in the Capital Police's Special Unit. However, unknown to him, he becomes a key player in a dispute between Capital and Local Police forces, as he finds himself increasingly involved with the sister of the very girl he saw die.

Kino's Journey

qzvjtZR.jpg

Based on a hit light novel series by Keiichi Sigsawa, the philosophical Kino's Journey employs the time-honored motif of the road trip as a vehicle for self-discovery and universal truth. Deeply meditative and cooler than zero, the series follows the existential adventures of the apt marksman Kino along with talking motorcycle Hermes as they travel the world and learn much about themselves in the process. Imaginative, thought-provoking, and sometimes disturbing, Kino's journey is documented in an episodic style with an emphasis on atmosphere rather than action or plot, though still prevalent.

Tatami Galaxy

cDZn9eZ.jpg

When a college dropout stops for a late night bite at a mysterious ramen stand, he crosses paths with a self-proclaimed deity of matrimony. This bizarre meeting sends the young man hurtling through a horrifying flashback to his not-so-glorious college days when the influence of a cruel new friend turned him from a hopeless romantic into a mischievous “black cupid.”

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

O50wKwm.jpg

The power to travel through time... It can be used for the good of humanity, or just selfishly abused. While many may fantasize about obtaining such a power, it has become nothing less than reality for otherwise-normal schoolgirl Konno Makoto.

After a fated event, her life takes a turn for the extraordinary. Though she initially uses her power to literally "leap" into the past and change little things in order to make her life easier, she soon has to face the fact that changing the past can have drastic consequences.

5 CM Per Second

JvFwNNm.jpg

Tohno Takaki and Shinohara Akari, two very close friends and classmates, are torn apart when Akari's family is transferred to another region of Japan due to her family's job. Despite separation, they continue to keep in touch through mail. When Takaki finds out that his family is also moving, he decides to meet with Akari one last time.

As years pass by, they continue down their own paths, their distance slowly growing wider and their contact with one another fades. Yet, they keep remembering one another and the times they have shared together, wondering if they will have the chance to meet once again.

Thorakai

Samurai Champloo definitely.

Which version of Full Metal Alchemist did you watch? Brotherhood is more action oriented compared to the more drama-driven first series. If you only seen one of them maybe you can give the other one a shot.

I didn't like FLCL that much, it had really unique animation but tried too hard to be deep.

Code Geass is my #1 with Gurren Lagann in the second spot.

It didn't try to be deep at all and that's kind of how it succeeded in saying something of value. FLCL is like Gainax at its best in that it isn't taking itself so seriously.

Code Geass is also pretty awful unless you're up for some 'so ridiculous that it's kind of good'.

KarmaCow

I enjoyed Planetes. It's hard scifi and fairly tame compared to something like Ghost in the Shell. It's a near future drama follow a crew (mostly just two people) who have been tasked with cleaning up space debris in low Earth orbit, which despite sounding glamorous, they're basically the equivalent of trash collectors. The real story is more about what happens when your dreams/fantasies are met with reality and what needs to be sacrificed to achieve your goals. Just try watching the intro, I think it does a fantastic job of showcasing the awe inspiring feeling of humanity's struggles to explore space.

Baccano! is also interesting. It focuses around a specific train heist in the 1920-ish and follows a number of characters, showcasing their history and lives after the train event through non-linear storytelling. It's overwhelming at first because it will cut to different people and times rapidly, but I enjoyed it overall.

Cowboy Bebop definitely. I'd also recommend Detective Conan if you enjoy mysteries. That may just be my love for the series talking though. Lupin III is fun too and is different from your typical anime in some ways.

Cowboy Bebop definitely. I'd also recommend Detective Conan if you enjoy mysteries. That may just be my love for the series talking though. Lupin III is fun too and is different from your typical anime in some ways.

Do not watch Detective Conan. That shit is way too long OP.

RedSwirl

Oh wait OP HASN'T seen Bebop? Well damn. That's basically the quintessential "mass western appeal" anime series.

I'm also probably gonna be the only one in this thread to suggest Michiko to Hatchin.

I've never heard of these closet cases.

Not even really anime fans... just general TV/Movie watchers who can appreciate the potential of what anime is capable of, but still don't really like the rank and file of the medium. My brother's pretty similar -- he can appreciate the cream of the crop like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Miyazaki, but not much else.

Obligatory Planetes recommendation.

Starts out as a bad and corny comedy for the first couple of episodes and then turns into one of the best anime series ever.

Seconded. Pretty good drama show in a pretty unique hard sci-fi setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom