• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: 'This (conference) was the part of E3 people don’t like', E3 Focused On Games

ekim

TheOddOne

Giantbomb: Talking Xbox One With Microsoft's Albert Penello
Jeff: ‘I feel like going in we knew going in there would not be a ton games. I can stand to see some games [laughs].’

Albert: ‘Yes. You read the internet. When you go through this, you sort of know it's going to happen. I kind of joke ‘’damned if you do, damn if you don’t’’. When I go back and look at E3, we always take a ton of stick for that part where we want to talk about the other parts the system does. ’

Jeff: ‘Exactly.’

Albert: ‘So we said: Hey, let’s have a briefing that sort of goes and talks about our aspirations and I hope [mumbles]. Everybody was super consciences of saying that like that is not what this one [conference] was. This is about talking the overall vision, announce the name, what we’re trying to do, give some context about hardware. That will free us up for E3 to just like, nail it on games.’

(Further in the podcast)

Albert: ‘This (conference) was the part of E3 people don’t like. We took that over and made it into an event and said ‘let’s talk about what we’re trying to do and get that out of the way. And that frees us up for E3.’’
People wanted a thread for this, so here it is.

OK. If E3 is about games, I hope to see a fair bit of them. And discussion on gaming specific stuff like b/c, previous live purchases, etc.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Lots of interesting stuff in that interview, seems to also confirm that downloadable Apps & Games will still be curated.

Really though this just highlights what the should have done, do the Games conference first, then have another event to unveil all the media stuff.

zruben

Banned
as an employee of a marketing department...

Intentionally revealing your new product with all the features that your target audience won't like it's plain stupid.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
15 exclusives.

That piece is PR fluff trying to deflect from the disaster that was their conference, it is spin to push attention towards E3 with a promise of delivering where they failed to today. It's clear that the reveal was a focus on the hardware and on vision, both of which largely failed to impress. MS has a shoddy reveal with a plethora of bad news following (which they conveniently omitted from the conference) so we have every right to doubt their competency. Yes there will be lots of games at E3, but to claim the reveal of the system was just flotsam before delivering what people actually want is inane, the reveal sets the tone for the rest.

MS fucked up.

monlo

I can understand them wanting to show what "just the console" can do, but nobody is buying "just the console".

FluxWaveZ

Said this in the other thread, but I like the idea of getting the multimedia, non-game related topics out of the way for E3. It's just that with the console's emphasis on television, Kinect and sports, I can't imagine their E3 conference being purely about video games, but I'll be impressed if it is.

"...This (conference) was the part of E3 people don’t like."

So you're saying you reveal your next-generation console with the part that people wouldn't like!?

What the hell is going on with the messaging over at MS?

DBT85

But first impressions.

From what they showed they could have done a PS Meeting type event a month ago, had this event now and then got back to the games at E3.

Theorymon

Not shocking. I'd be excited normally, but all the anti consumer stuff killed my interest so hard that I can't get myself hyped again :(

Courage

That piece is PR fluff trying to deflect from the disaster that was their conference, it is spin to push attention towards E3 with a promise of delivering where they failed to today. It's clear that the reveal was a focus on the hardware and on vision, both of which largely failed to impress. MS has a shoddy reveal with a plethora of bad news following (which they conveniently omitted from the conference) so we have every right to doubt their competency. Yes there will be lots of games at E3, but to claim the reveal of the system was just flotsam before delivering what people actually want is inane, the reveal sets the tone for the rest.

MS fucked up.

We knew about their plan before yesterday's reveal. E3 was always gonna be the conference where they were going to reveal their full lineup.

TheOddOne

MS fucked up.
This interview was right after the conference btw.

Striek

Fair enough, yet it seems like a really bad idea to not ensure your core audience leaves with a good first impression, let alone a dismal one.

royalan

as an employee of a marketing department...

Intentionally revealing your new product with all the features that your target audience won't like it's plain stupid.

But announcing your new product with all the features your potential expanded audience might like is pretty damn smart.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
E3 Focused on Games'

We'll probably get kinect games thrown at us left and right, won't we?

But really, unless Microsoft change the anti-consumer features on this machine, it really won't matter what kind of games they show anyway.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
So you started off with the part people don't like as your first impression? Smart!

Sydle

Didn't they say this several times before the reveal? I feel like they let us know this going in...

• Reveal is about hardware, vision, people
  • E3 is about games

I'm certain that came from Greenburg and Major Nelson.

In any case, so far they did exactly what they said they would do. Guess we'll see if they deliver on the second half.

Their E3 conference needs to be GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES. Or they've lost. Remember E3 2009? Do that again.

Anyway, their aspirations are so unappealing and cynical that I fell back on the hope of decent game footage by default, so it made it extra annoying when that didn't show up.

You still wasted an hour talking about additional features that a bunch of people wont be able to use, and a lot of other people don't care about in their video game console in the first place.

The PS4 reveal wasn't all about games, but a bunch of the additional features they brought up also related to how it would make playing video games on their console a more engaging experience. I didn't get that with the One conference.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
They said this before the event but here we are, people will probably still say it's damage control or some shit.

He'll, I think Polygon said there would be NO games yesterday and there ended up being like seven.

DaBoss

So you're saying you reveal your next-generation console with the part that people wouldn't like!?

ZxvyqDY.jpg

Sulla1980

I think he means that this press conference covered the stuff that people in attendance or watching E3 press conferences don't like to hear about, and I think that is a fair point.

But was this want I wanted to hear about? Not really.

Binabik15

Previously insiders claimed that Microsoft wasn't impressed/surprised by Sony, 8 gig of RAM11!!!11, etc and confident in its own unveiling. Now that unveil was supposed to be sucky to make E3 great? Yeah. Cool.

No amount of games could sway me to buy a Xbox One until they let you unplug Kinnect, drop always on and offer Europe something more than token support.

PS: As if Sony doesn't have games to show at E3 anymore because they had a good handful at their unveil.

slit

I don't know why some people think this is about lack of games. The big 3 have had plenty of bad conferences.

Does MS really think this storm is about lack of game announcements?

I don't buy it. It's almost like people have forgotten about their past two E3s. This sounds like spin. They showed off a new box and they talked about television, experiences, and more television. They also seem to be supporting heavily draconian ideas. They have no one to blame but themselves when it comes to the outrage. No one made Microsoft's unveiling a flashy disaster except for Microsoft. This is one of those, "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" scenarios.

Roman

First impressions count.

Yeah, why not wait till E3, blow out the games full guns blazing...and then do a mini 30 minute event laying out the OS?

The way they do it confirms analyses that put their focus far away from core audience game development and innovation.

i-Lo

During presentation:

• They had their own people do the clapping and screaming
  • They announced anti-consumer bs under the banner of innovation
  • The tv features for most part are largely relevant in US
And afterwards:

• Used game fiasco
  • MS math for bandwidth addition
  • No headset
  • Can't use xbox w/o kinect
  • Must log in once every 24 hours

And they think people are upset with presentation because of content alone? What a joke.

Top Bottom