• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Programming Issues on XBox One - Johnathon Blow

Interesting comments:

6Xi0c69l.png

aKRcKab.png

Other dev comments:

Other developer reactions;

Quote:
From the cheers of the crowd (or coming perhaps from somewhere else), it's clear that those who were in attendance during Microsoft's Xbox One unveiling were indeed impressed. But what about the people who will be making games for it, what did the developers think about it? A number of them took to the modern soapbox of our day, Twitter, to express their personal feelings towards the new console.

* Minecraft's Markus "Notch" Presson - "I wanted a game console, not a voice and gesture based tv remote box. :/
Like Us on Facebook

* Mortal Kombat Kreator Ed Boon - "Are you people trying to tell me that in the console wars... the XBOX Won?"

* Gears of War lead designer, 'ol Cliffy B (Cliff Bleszinski) - "When I watch TV I don't want a game controller or a remote in my hand. I want my phone or my Ipad." Followed by - "My gut is telling me that today's show was "get the stuff out of the way that we didn't really want to hear about at E3" for Xbox One."

* Ubisoft Creative Director Paul Cross - "Dear Microsoft, yes. Thank you. #xboxone"

* Twisted Metal creator David Jaffe (over several tweets) - "Have not really said much about today's XBOX ONE stuff other than I dig the TV/media aspect of it- I think that is really eally cool stuff. And If the voice recog works as good in real life as on stage, I can imagine some very cool games!Sure,I wudda loved to have seen lots of games but I read that's coming in a few weeks at E3 & am excited to see the games! If I could easily, accurately just talk to my tv ala Suri ('Play latest episode of Scandal'), I'd LOVE that!"

* Bethesda Softworks VP Pete Hines - "I imagine there are some cable box manufacturers who are starting to sweat right now."

* Sledgehammer Games co-founder Michael Condrey - "fantasy football. Done. Buyin' it."

* the man behind Garry's Mod, Garry Newman - "Disappointing that MS had the chance to shake up console gaming but just pump out the same old shit. Apple are gonna gobble it all up."

* Minecraft's Nathan "Dinnerbone" Adams - "We're turning your games into TV series so that we can pour more money into cutscenes."

* Super Meat Boy creator Tommy Refenes - "Little brothers everywhere have been given the ultimate trolling tool While older brother and friends play COD "XBOX NETFLIX MY LITTLE PONY"

* Braid creator Jonathan Blow - "'Hi, I'm Steven Spielberg. I wish I cared enough about this event to fly to Redmond, but I don't, so you can watch me on TV....And please ignore the weird message this sends about the status of Hollywood relative to video games."

* Rock Band's Dan Teasdale - "Realised that the best shortened name for the Xbox One is the XBONE. X. BONE. Putting dogs front and center makes way more sense now."

* Borderlands 2 lead writer Anthony Burch - "xbox, put guy fieri on screen" "xbox i made a horrible mistake, summon alton brown" "alton brown, fight guy fieri in single combat" "marc summers, wash your hands"

* Adam Orth - ...

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/6818/20130522/game-developers-react-microsofts-xbox-one-reveal.htm

Proelite

More rops, more bandwidth, more cu, no hoops to jump through, no vm overhead results in twice the framerate for third parties. Sounds reasonable.

Proelite

So a guy who presented at Sony's reveal says the Microsoft console is weak compared to the Sony console. Sounds good.

Well, he is talking about perf numbers from third party devs like EA, Activision.

Speaking of which, where are all the developers reactions / responses like the ones after ps4?

I would like to read comments that come from someone that isn't sleeping in bed with Sony. Someone that will probably develop for both platforms.

FrankT

More rops, more bandwidth, more cu, no hoops to jump through, no vm overhead results in twice the framerate for third parties. Sounds reasonable.

I'll just say this and I've said it once before here if this does become the case 30 versus 60 I will not hesitate to look back ever again.

I have time to wait and see how the results turn out well after launch.

artist

Banned
It's weird that you woke up and realized what you were smoking earlier;
Having 33% more flops is only a slight difference in comparison to past console wars. The Xbox had a nearly a 200% advantage over the gamecube. The PS3, had on paper, had a 67% advantage over the 360.

The ram advantage for PS4 is far more worrying than a slight perceived GPU advantage.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft already said they aren't targeting high end graphics.

They didn't really talk about graphics capabilities much in this presentation.

It's clear they're trying to downplay the importance of graphics/performance because they are at a disadvantage. Instead, they want the battle to be about multimedia stuff.

Well, if this comparison is any indication. . .

BK3xTxOCYAEAgeG.png:large

Where's that from? I saw a thread the other day claiming the process on Xbox One was 40nm. Was that BS?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Some games, maybe.

But it depends completely on the game and what the slowest part of the frame's computation is.

If it's purely fillrate, and everything else in the pipe allows 60fps, then yeah, maybe you can have this difference (given the ROP and bw situation).

But this isn't a universal case.

i-Lo

Sounds like early days of PS3 with EA sports titles. Remember those days?

Point is, after 7 hard years of suffering, PS4 owners will/should NEVER suffer from inferior console ports.

Z_Y

So a guy who presented at Sony's reveal says the Microsoft console is weak compared to the Sony console. Sounds good.

Who was previously shat on by Microsoft, yes.

These.

Look...I hated the presentation yesterday. I hate MS decisions so far. I'm laughing right along with everybody at them and I feel like PS4 is more than likely going to be what I go with next year.

But this guy....yea... I wouldn't put too much into what he says about MS at this moment.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Microsoft already said they aren't targeting high end graphics.

They didn't really talk about graphics capabilities much in this presentation.

It's clear they're trying to downplay the importance of graphics/performance because they are at a disadvantage. Instead, they want the battle to be about multimedia stuff.

Insane to think that, before the Sony conference, they were very much going to play up the graphics card since they assumed their specs were higher, according to that DF article.

Proelite

It's weird that you woke up and realized what you were smoking earlier;

Well, if both console had the same os / subsystem, the difference would be minimal.

3GB OS, VMs, and OS using up cpu / Gpus resources at all times can be more really cumbersome.

I would like to read comments that come from someone that isn't sleeping in bed with Sony. Someone that will probably develop for both platforms.

This. Maybe "Sleeping in bed" is harsh though. I have a feeling that after his next game comes out, J.B. will find lots of hate for Sony too.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
As they say: ''So it begins!'', and so it should, because during the Xbox One reveal, gamers were slighted by Microsoft.
Could this be the new whipping boy for the generation?
Could Nintendo's U be not all that bad?

Find out on the next episode of NeoGAF Z.

I will say that this is only the start of the snowball effect that will come tumbling down Mount. Game as a massive spherical form of doom.

Soon more people will call out Microsoft's tv box one for going in this direction.
They are trying to pull a Nintendo Wii, but doing it all wrong.
Just like Nintendo was trying to pull a Wii with the U.

Top Bottom