• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sooo.. that "rape joke" during the Killer Instinct demo [Microsoft apologizes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westraid

English is not my native language, so maybe that's why it didn't even register as a rape joke.
If there are really sites making a big deal out of it, they should set their priorities straight.
Yes, maybe it was a poor choice of words, but I'm sure it wasn't intended in that way.

Hellix

Must have went over my head. It was a female player getting beat in a fighting game. Maybe they should have used another male player instead?

The fact that "just let it happen" was considered a rape joke is proof enough that feminism has indeed caused a rape hysteria in trying to solve their issues.

Just don't. This is neither fact nor proof of anything, other than Microsoft having terrible script writers.

sleepykyo

How the script got through in the first place is quite remarkable. None of the proofreaders/editors found the dialogue awkward?

Removing the rape context, the joke was about how a woman can't play a video game, in an already testosterone-filled setting.

She did technically mount a comeback.

Mxrz

When you can make someone like me cringe, yeah. That's not good. I predict a big hubbub, and a lot of people climbing on their soap box to make a bunch of generalizations about the gaming industry or some mythical all powerful feminist entity that has 'taken it too far!!'

But why would you even do this, let alone script it? Just play the goddamn game, you morons. You shouldn't need to be this desperate to sell it. The game should speak for itself.

BibiMaghoo

I didn't take it as a rape joke when watching, just as a way of saying give up, you are beaten.

That being said it was a poor choice to show that shit at all, it wasn't required and made people look a bit stupid. As in the section only existed to plug the fight stick.

Brinbe

of course it wasn't explicitly a rape joke, but it's something that easily could have been avoided, especially in such a scripted conference.

marrec

Banned
When you can make someone like me cringe, yeah. That's not good. I predict a big hubbub, and a lot of people climbing on their soap box to make a bunch of generalizations about the gaming industry or some mythical all powerful feminist entity that has 'taken it too far!!'

But why would you even do this, let alone script it? Just play the goddamn game, you morons. You shouldn't need to be this desperate to sell. The game should speak for itself.

Well I do think this kind of canned crappy trash-talk is indicative of the Fighting Games scene as a whole. Just hostile and awkward.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Awkward yes, but lets not go to fake outrage mode. The statement is toovague to make a concrete case out of this.. one would have to make a massive amount of assumptions.

Sophia

I wasn't watching when that happened, but I rewatched it when people mentioned it on twitter.... yeah that's really awful. There's no reason to make those kinds of comments on stage. At a major press event being streamed on TV. :\

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That joke is in bad favor and when its "not with the boys".

At first I thought, just let the combo happen. I would of just kept my mouth shut.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think the ultimate point is that fake trash talking in professional conferences is always cringeworthy no matter what is said.

Spoo

The "joke" (which wasn't funny, but whatever) was the fact that he was the producer of the game, and destroyed her. Then she turned around and beat him, and make a joke about how she should be producer. There is no "rape" joke going on here -- in fact, it's great there's a woman on stage who doesn't have model-good-looks and is actually participating.

In other words, stop making shit up.

I'm glad that this is getting attention. It should not be considered normal.

It's amazing that it even happened considering how tightly scripted these things are.

Buzzman

Banned
Because as we all know, the FGC isn't a misogynist shithole that talks about raping their opponents. Why do you think that the audience cheered at that "joke"?
This is also known as "dog-whistling".

Scripted trash talk isn't trash talk. Sort of had that feel of old folks trying to force something that the young kids these days like and not delivering.

And I can see how that could be interpreted as a rape joke, but I really don't think it was a rape joke. I do think that whoever wrote it should have seen that it could have been interpreted that way, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom