• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Luigi U |OT| I do it !

CLEEK

Mine didn't update automatically, but I closed the game, went to the shop, chose the Luigi game as if to purchase, and then had it tell me to update NSMBU first -- after which the update did in fact begin when I went back and restarted the game.

I went to download this as soon as I got home last night, thinking it would be as simple as going into the eShop and buying. You know, like every DLC ever.

But no, Nintendo do things differently.

Despite there being a Luigi U time in the eShop showing its available to buy, clicking that just takes to you to the NSMB U section to download the main game.

So I started up the NSMB U and then opened the eShop, to see if that made any difference. Ended up having to Google the damn thing to find out how you buy it.

In the end, I had to start then close NSMB U three times until it finally found and downloaded/installed the 1.3.0 patch. Once done, the DLC was available to buy from within the game itself.

Kokonoe

Banned
Guys, what is this?

2HWjLWH.jpg

Theorymon

Guys, what is this?

2HWjLWH.jpg

From what I can tell, you need to beat a level under 50 seconds, without damage, AND get all the star coins in the same run through (doesn't matter if you have gotten them before) to get the Super Play Message. Tested this out twice, seems to be the case so far!

ASTROID2

I've beaten 4 worlds now and now I'm actually having an easier time getting through it. I had a very hard time with the ice levels in NSMBU but in NSLU was quite easy for me. I'm guessing it's because I hadn't played Mario since NSMBWii and I had just played Mario before this, so I have more experience now.

EDIT: Although in 2 levels I used the P-flying squirrel suit because I died 1000 times.

Teknoman

I really REALLY hope they put something like "For Super Players!" on the cover of the retail. Kids are gonna get a real old school challenge o_o

cover_large.jpg

Must be a flashback for the Japanese players.

Played through the first three worlds.

This game is pretty cool so far. Like that they give you
Propeller and Penguin suits so early on, they're a big help.

The levels are definitely more compact than NSMBU but hard enough that I'm probably spending more time on each of them. World 2 had a lot of tough levels, though W3 felt a bit easier. Maybe I'm just getting in the groove of being Luigi again.

Some really neat design choices, and the visuals are a refreshing change from the usual NSMB decoration. Shame they couldn't change the music...

Hoping Nintendo does more expansion packs like this for other games in the future.

Rockman

Sorry noob question here about this title, are all levels limited to the 100 second time limit? Is it safe to say this is a speed runners game?

JoeM86

Sorry noob question here about this title, are all levels limited to the 100 second time limit? Is it safe to say this is a speed runners game?

They all are, yes. The levels are shorter than in NSMBU, but they are far more condensed and tricky. You have to make precision jumps while being surrounded by Thwomps...have to dodge Urchins etc.

Really enjoying this so far, went through the game with short cuts in order to unlock save anywhere. Looking forward to some of the harder levels. In no way is this bad dlc unless you're just using short-cuts to "beat" the game... but why would you do that?

chrono01

Really enjoying this so far, went through the game with short cuts in order to unlock save anywhere. Looking forward to some of the harder levels. In no way is this bad dlc unless you're just using short-cuts to "beat" the game... but why would you do that?

i3UL4W8W8wspz.gif

Kokonoe

Banned
From what I can tell, you need to beat a level under 50 seconds, without damage, AND get all the star coins in the same run through (doesn't matter if you have gotten them before) to get the Super Play Message. Tested this out twice, seems to be the case so far!

Thanks, I must have been playing pretty good on that level. I'll have to aim to get more of those!

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I'm wondering this too. Can anyone give some insight? I don't own a Wii U yet, but I'm curious for my inevitable purchase.

Controller is much more precise in my opinion, which is especially useful in the DLC given the amount of enemies. Also, it's lighter and more comfortable to use, and of course you don't have to worry about waggling or throwing the Remote through the TV from slippy hands (though you might do it anyway if you die too many times in the DLC...)

Robin64

I can't help but go for the Star Coins the first time through and damn, that's making this even harder than it should be. Solid game, love it.

Edit: I'm not sure I am happy with the secret exit in 1-2. There's no clue at all.

CrisKre

Im loving this game. It certainly is hard, but the levels feel more like a collection of challenges than levels in the full game. This structure prevents it from being frustrating at all.
They are short, sweet and packed with obstacles. The start coins are mostly agility based which make the short levels a blast.
It's like they perfected the formula so much they decided to make a game on challenges and just pure condensed game mechanic based missions.

SOOOOOO FUN!

Last night I spent like 30 minutes jumping around 2-4 searching for the secret exit, the game broke me, it freakin' broke me!
WHERE?! WHERE?! AAAAAAHHHHHH! I swear to the gaming gods if this is one of those "random invisible beanstalk block" again....

So this game is hard? Soldddddddd

Just to put your expectations in check I think it could stand to be a bit harder, it's still not quite NSMBU the lost levels.

AGoodODST

Really enjoying this.

Finally made my way to Soda Jungle, with all star Coins collected so far, and all the Secret Exits so far found. I have to say, the Acorns Plains and Layer Cake Desert ones had me stumped for ages!

klier

Got it yesterday, my first NIntendo DLC in history, quite a special moment..

Also, Nintendo knows how to do DLC. This is wonderful!!

Theorymon

Last night I spent like 30 minutes jumping around 2-4 searching for the secret exit, the game broke me, it freakin' broke me!
WHERE?! WHERE?! AAAAAAHHHHHH! I swear to the gaming gods if this is one of those "random invisible beanstalk block" again....

Right after the 3 still statues, do a ground pound on the regular ground to break some hidden bricks, leading to the secret exit.

Anyways, I just 5 starred the game. This isn't quite "New Super Mario Bros U Lost Levels", and I could have gone for some longer levels, but I still found the difficulty to be pretty satisfying! I wouldn't get this over New Super Mario Bros U (because Challenge Mode is a wonderful thing), but as DLC, it compliments New Super Mario Bros U perfectly. Overall, I thought it was great DLC, hopefully, more Mario games do this kind of expansion pack in the future!

hachi

Banned

Yep, this is correct, and I've been doing the same. Though, as with the main game, I find it disappointing that it does not keep track of which levels you have Super-ed so that you could challenge yourself to completion.

Subaru

Why there is no reviews? (from the media etc)

SLU is awesome, it's sad that we can't play with Mario =/

Also, WHY the Pro controller isn't mapped like the GamePad? (They changed the ZR for R)

I picked up a Pro controller when I read that this game supports it. It's really quite a comfortable controller. The only issue I have with it is that using the Pro controller along with the Gamepad in off-screen mode presents some problems. Prompts to post to Miiverse and to Save and things like that show up on the TV, not on the Gamepad. I understand why they probably wouldn't have thought people would try to play like this, but it's comfortable, it's enjoyable, I just wish it worked better.

I purchased two of these DLCs , one for my nephew but i think it will be difficult for him.

I am not feeling the time limit thing, it almost feels as if it was placed there deliberately to limit the value of DLC.

If that makes sense.

Right after the 3 still statues, do a ground pound on the regular ground to break some hidden bricks, leading to the secret exit.
You have my thanks.

Dem secret exits...

The World 2 exit in particular had absolutely no hint/giveaway whatsoever.

I'd consider it one of the most poorly placed secret exits in the Mario series, absolutely nothing hints towards it, on top of that it's positioned in between
the hidden vine block and the mini mushroom pipe so you're less likely to stick around there, maybe in some kind of backwards logic that there is the hint itself.
But hey I guess my time in that one stage wasn't entirely wasted, I found at least 4 hidden 1 up blocks in the stage, that you can ground pound palm trees for coins (or spin past them) and spin jumping near statues makes their eyes go loopy, I have to convince myself that 30 minutes wasn't a complete waste.
I'm still grouchy about it, it must be a ploy to make me break down and use Miiverse.

Calamari41

41 > 38
This is basically Speed Run: The Game, and I couldn't be happier. Usually when I finish up a Mario game, I end up with 99 lives by the time I hit the 3rd or 4th World or close to it. I'm in World 6 right now and I have yet to go above 10 lives at any given time. You don't so much play this game as "experience" it, for lack of a better word. The "100 seconds left" chime at the beginning of the level, the fast music, and the crazy-ass obstacles put me in this zone where I don't even think, I just react to the stages as they fly at me and I find myself making these crazy Super Play-esque moves without even thinking about it.

This game is hard as shit, too. I see why they put in Nabbit.

Shahadan

Im loving this game. It certainly is hard, but the levels feel more like a collection of challenges than levels in the full game. This structure prevents it from being frustrating at all.
They are short, sweet and packed with obstacles. The start coins are mostly agility based which make the short levels a blast.
It's like they perfected the formula so much they decided to make a game on challenges and just pure condensed game mechanic based missions.

SOOOOOO FUN!

My feelings exactly. Best 15€ I've ever spent for a DLC!
never spent that much on dlc anyway

Calamari41

41 > 38
Exactly Id rather have short fun than a long level that isn't as good

It is also worth noting that the average level in Mario Bros 3 was as short or shorter than these levels. I replayed all of the 2D Mario games over the past few months and this was one of the things I noted about 3. Short levels.

Man, this game is tough. Especially coming from controlling Mario or Rayman who effectively stop on a dime comparatively.

My wife, from the other room when I beat a level: "Jeez, get some confidence Luigi!"

I just finished World 7. I thought World 6 was a bit of a letdown in terms of the levels not pushing much beyond the concept from NSMBU, and World 7 was the first time I'd wished the levels were a little longer and threw a few more jumps at you (really, really liked riding a sliding block into a wall jump over a spinning flame in Ludwig's castle). Still really enjoying the game. I'm optimistic about World 8.

Played it last night and have to say i really like what I've played so far. I'm not very far yet though. Beat the first world and a few levels into the second. I don't move on the next level until I get all the Star Coins and I love the harder, shorter levels this game has. Feels great when you're in a groove, blasting through the tough obstacles and getting all the Star Coins in one go. Really hope Nintendo keeps doing DLC/Expansions like this.

TAS

Yeah this game kicks your ass! I'm really impressed how fast it downloaded too. Ever since the big system update I've found downloading speed has increased dramatically. Much faster than my PS3 now.

Top Bottom