• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Luigi U |OT| I do it !

kinggroin

Banned
I just came in here to say that this is easily the pinnacle of Nintendo 2D platforming level design.

By far.

Have a good day.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm baffled that the Eurogamer reviewer accuses NSLU to be unfair. Not once did I have the feeling of the game being unfair. There was one stupid secret exit (the one leading to the ice world), but there was not one moment where I thought this game was unfair, what does he even mean?

it's Eurogamer, if they don't find one reason to piss on Nintendo once a day there's no happiness in their offices

Gartooth

totally forgot about this game, going have to turn on my Wii U for the first time in MONTHS to play this

I did it yesterday and I had to go through hell for it with Nintendo's ass online since it was the first time I had been online since I think February. Took me forever to do a firmware update, then I had to patch NSMBU, then I had to download New Super Luigi U. This shouldn't sound bad at all, but trust me I kept suffering with error codes and dropped connections despite literally every other device I own working just fine. (had to turn off other electronics such as my Galaxy S3 just to get it to keep a solid connection) I was so sick of it that I only played the first 3 levels (got all star coins in em) before quitting for the night I was that frustrated.

shawnlreed

Finally beat the game with 5 stars tonight.
I liked this DLC more than the original game.
The harder difficulty and deviously placed hidden exits and star coins made it more enjoyable to me.
Fire Bar Sprint is without a doubt the most challenging level, especially the last star coin requirement. There were so many despondent Miiverse posts that would pop up whenever I died on that level, I had to laugh.
This DLC was totally worth $20 in my opinion.

Yes Boss!

Fire Bar Sprint is without a doubt the most challenging level, especially the last star coin requirement. There were so many despondent Miiverse posts that would pop up whenever I died on that level, I had to laugh.

That level kicked my ass today. Had to turn off the system after losing about thirty lives. I'll try again tomorrow. I just cannot see the pattern.

I really want to get this, but I'd have to delete Lego City from my wii u :/

I really should just get the external hard drive thing fixed up.

That level kicked my ass today. Had to turn off the system after losing about thirty lives. I'll try again tomorrow. I just cannot see the pattern.

It's all in the entry. If you hit the first fire bar at the right time, you just keep sprinting and jumping. Trying to slow down or measure your jumps would only make it harder.

Exeunt

I just earned my fifth star! I was about to come in and post about Fire Bar Sprint, and it seems like you guys have got the ball rolling... Man, that third Star Coin was a real heartbreaker the first time I made it through the course. Probably the toughest level of the lot. The way that a lot of the levels tried to kill you at the end was pretty devious, and so was that Star Coin.

I don't think the secret exits were that great this time around though. It was nice that they were in the same levels as they were in NSMBU so you could actually see where they are, but I feel like a few (
1-2
2-4
, and
6-5
if I'm remembering correctly) fell into the NSMB2 pattern of "keep jumping/ground pounding around and see if there's anything there" for the sake of difficulty. Though I'll concede that my memory of NSMBU's secret exits is kind of foggy at this point, so maybe they weren't a whole lot different.

daakusedo

I spent an awful amount of lives trying to speedrun that sea world level with tricky timed water geysers. Still don't know if you can do it without stopping at the long line of geyser with pirhanna plants.

There's a tiny mushroom in sea Castle to take a shortcut but it's also for a bonus passage in soda jungle 1. The thing is that I got Nabbit after that and you can't go in alternate rooms when he's here.
Not the easiest thing to capture him while tiny and having to use lianas to get ahead of him but then the level is also designed to make it possible, that playtesting.

Frodo

Just finished everything today. Nice to see you guys talking about the Firebars Sprint. One of my favourite levels ever. Love the third Star Coin touch in the end. Certainly made loads of smiles turn up side down! :p

The 100 seconds time limit is actually a good thing, and helped to keep things fresh in this DLC. Levels are tight, and challenging. And all the secret Luigis throughout the levels are fun to find as well.

This is the first piece of DLC I ever bough and a good thing it actually was worth the money. Can't wait to try everything again on the multiplayer. It is going to be insane! :D

zlCfzRCEG64uPwV_JE

I loved this DLC! I still don't see how everybody thinks Fire Ball Sprint was so hard I beat it my first try and got all the coins my second try. Never died on that level.

trix21

Neo Member
I just finished (all star coins), very relaxing last level after finally beating Fire Bar Sprint.

Definitely get it if you enjoyed NSMBU and want more of the goodness.

Frodo

Fire bar Sprint is not hard after you realise what you have to do. But it is not easy as the timing needs to be perfect or you are dead. But it is sure a great level! So satisfying when you finish it! :D

Yes Boss!

Fire bar Sprint is not hard after you realise what you have to do. But it is not easy as the timing needs to be perfect or you are dead. But it is sure a great level! So satisfying when you finish it! :D

I finally beat it. Last level for me. What I did was start with a propeller so if I got hit then at least I had one more hit to stay big all the way through. It takes a little timing to start off with but there is lots of play on slowing down and sliding while ducking on the open one-space bricks.

I got the four stars but I think I might be missing a silly secret ending. I don't think I'll got back looking for it for the fifth. I got thirty hours of play on this "DLC" and it certainly ranks right up there with NSMB Wii as the best of the NSMB titles.

zroid

Banned
After 10 days or so break, I'm back at it. Working my way through Soda Jungle now. This DLC is really f'ing good. I loved NSMBU, but I felt it didn't really get great until World 5.

NSLU is as great as NSMBU's World 5 from World 1 and only gets better from there.

After 10 days or so break, I'm back at it. Working my way through Soda Jungle now. This DLC is really f'ing good. I loved NSMBU, but I felt it didn't really get great until World 5.

NSLU is as great as NSMBU's World 5 from World 1 and only gets better from there.

Yup. Pretty much. Only thing I miss are the secrets. NSLU's level design and difficulty plus exploration/secrecy of NSMBU would be the perfect game.

Qurupeke

Got the game today, it's so great. It reminds me a lot of SMB2. Btw, what do you need for 5 stars? You don't need no continues, right?

dkeane

Been playing this a bunch. Surprised there aren't more people in here commenting considering this game delivers the difficulty SO many people on GAF constantly bitched for.

Is there a Luigi icon to find on every stage? That's going to be super tough. I've only come across a hand full and I'm in the jungle levels.

Still on the fence about the retail copy... Is there any vid that shows the differnce between the games? I searched on youtube but found nothing.

Still on the fence about the retail copy... Is there any vid that shows the differnce between the games? I searched on youtube but found nothing.

There isn't any difference. It's just a standalone copy of the DLC. The DLC you can actually download now requires a retail copy of New Super Mario Bros. U to work. The physical copy comes with a lime green box, if you're into that. It's also apparently a limited run as well.

Anyway, I couldn't play this until I had all of my sisters together, and I finally got the opportunity tonight. It was an absolute blast. We had played the Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii fan hack, and while we had fun, this was on a completely new level. The design is absolutely phenomenal, and we definitely had our fair share of laughter.

One of my sisters is 24 years old now, and she's always played as Luigi back when we were children, so I naturally let her be player one. She loved all of the hidden Luigi's we've found so far. They're so clever! We giggled when we died in the lava right next to a hidden Luigi, and she was ecstatic when we ran into the Luigi ice sculpture. I really like the new assets, such as the huge shooting star and the snowmen. We've only finished the Ice World, so I can't wait to see more!

Gambit

The stand-alone version arrived today. Yippie!
So glad I waited. The green box is great.

Quickly played through world 1 and am enjoying it greatly. Luigi number one!

LaNaranja

Holy crap finding that first secret area is a crazy bitch. I spent over an hour replaying the same damn level over and over again until I finally got lucky and found it.

zlCfzREaL1kpDv8KF6

One world down, a bunch to go.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I played this for the first time at a demo stand where some kids were already playing. What is a hard game became 100x harder with kids literally bumping into you every two seconds.

Especially Nabbit who suffer no repercussions for their actions.

Now that my New Lead playing time is entering the short burst phase I may download this now. Downloading it feels the correct way to get this as it is Nintendo's first full game DLC.

yatesl

Mine arrived today. Just beat the mid-boss of World 2. Levels are much harder, although they don't compare to Star Road on NSMBU yet. Just a couple of 'complaints' so far, although most apply to NSMBU too.

• Luigi handles like garbage, although I know this is by design. It's almost funny that he's the star of this one, in levels that would benefit from Super Meat Boy-style of controls.
  • Speaking of SMB, stop sending me back to the world map whenever I die.
  • Why do we even need lives?

As I say, the last 2 are also part of NSMB, but they just feel stronger here. Whenever I play my Wii U (on the rare day), I end up just getting frustrated at Nintendo. Both for the console, but NSMBU is an example of it too. Not having Pro controller support at launch (although good to see they patched it in... Although they won't let you swap bumpers with triggers). The lives system, in a world of Meat Boy and Rayman Origins. Going back to a world map whenever you die. No autosaves.

But I digress - It's good so far.

• Speaking of SMB, stop sending me back to the world map whenever I die.

Going back to a world map whenever you die. No autosaves.

Mario platformers are different than Rayman and Meat Boy because of power ups. You can automatically restart the level easily in both of those games because you can't really do anything to "power up" your character outside of levels.

This wouldn't work in Mario games because you can always go back to a previous, easier level to get power ups to help you complete at a level you're having trouble on (this was basically the entire point of the Top Secret Area in SMW and being able to use items in the overworld). Or to better reach a secret or star coin. Frankly, this has always been an integral part of Mario.

You could just leave the stage to do this if it automatically restarted, but it becomes tedious for players who are having a hard time. I guess there could be an option to change between the two.

zroid

Banned
The lives system is harmless. There's absolutely no reason to change it whatsoever. Don't tell me you would be OK with a Mario game where you never heard that satisfying 1-up sound effect again? It just wouldn't be right.

They give you lives like candy on Hallowe'en because they know it's an outdated concept. The point is you should always have enough so you never game over; as a result, the lives are just there for posterity and familiarity.

There isn't any difference. It's just a standalone copy of the DLC. The DLC you can actually download now requires a retail copy of New Super Mario Bros. U to work. The physical copy comes with a lime green box, if you're into that. It's also apparently a limited run as well.

Anyway, I couldn't play this until I had all of my sisters together, and I finally got the opportunity tonight. It was an absolute blast. We had played the Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii fan hack, and while we had fun, this was on a completely new level. The design is absolutely phenomenal, and we definitely had our fair share of laughter.

One of my sisters is 24 years old now, and she's always played as Luigi back when we were children, so I naturally let her be player one. She loved all of the hidden Luigi's we've found so far. They're so clever! We giggled when we died in the lava right next to a hidden Luigi, and she was ecstatic when we ran into the Luigi ice sculpture. I really like the new assets, such as the huge shooting star and the snowmen. We've only finished the Ice World, so I can't wait to see more!

Thanks for your reply. If I'm lucky it will be delivered today. Excite!

The lives system is harmless. There's absolutely no reason to change it whatsoever. Don't tell me you would be OK with a Mario game where you never heard that satisfying 1-up sound effect again? It just wouldn't be right.

They give you lives like candy on Hallowe'en because they know it's an outdated concept. The point is you should always have enough so you never game over; as a result, they're just there for posterity.

That and it actually gives coins a reason to exist. Without lives, coins become essentially worthless unless you want 2D Mario games turned into some collectathon where you need to get X per level. You could remove them, but then what's the of ? Blocks outside of power ups? Which could easily just be given to you at some point in the level as a static object on the ground. Would it really be Mario at that point?

It's very difficult to change one aspect of a game in isolation because all aspects of a game work in tandem with one another. And removing or modifying one aspect can heavily influence the other aspects unintentionally.

EagleEyes

Does this really have a 100 second time limit per level? I already have a hard enough time in NSMBU trying to get the 3 star coins within its time limit lol. I like to explore the levels too much.

They give you lives like candy on Hallowe'en because they know it's an outdated concept. The point is you should always have enough so you never game over; as a result, the lives are just there for posterity and familiarity.

It's not an outdated concept. A well-designed life system has a point, and punishes the player when they get a game over. Just because we live an an age of no punishment in games and easy modes doesn't mean they're outdated.

zroid

Banned
That and it actually gives coins a reason to exist. Without lives, coins become essentially worthless unless you want 2D Mario games turned into some collectathon where you need to get X per level. You could remove them, but then what's the of ? Blocks outside of power ups? Which could easily just be given to you at some point in the level as a static object on the ground. Would it really be Mario at that point?

It's very difficult to change one aspect of a game in isolation because all aspects of a game work in tandem with one another. And removing or modifying one aspect can heavily influence the other aspects unintentionally.

I actually think with coins, Nintendo should consider giving them an additional function. It doesn't have to be like NSMB2 where the game just wants you to collect coins for their own sake, but it would be cool if there were something like a bonus 4th star coin, for example, which you can only earn by collecting a certain number of coins before beating the level. The amount could be determined case-by-case, or otherwise just a blanket 100 or so.

It's not an outdated concept. A well-designed life system has a point, and punishes the player when they get a game over. Just because we live an an age of no punishment in games and easy modes doesn't mean they're outdated.

Well I say that not because there's something wrong with game over-ing per se, but rather it feels like Nintendo doesn't even want you to get to that point. So they're overcompensating by giving you tons and tons of lives. Which is fine, too; it's a good compromise.

BuzzJive

I decided to not pick this up right at launch because I had not finished NSMB2 or NSMBU yet. I went back and cleared everything in NSMB2 last week and saw the "fewest coins" Miiverse stuff and decided to jump in. Boy am I glad I did. I got a lot of enjoyment from getting all the star coins in NSMB2, but this is a whole new level of awesome. The challenge here is just the right amount, to where the harder levels will kill you just enough to make it interesting, but not so much that you get frustrated. I just cleared out the Soda Jungle and it was very satisfying. I very much enjoy the frantic pace and the fresh level designs. Fantastic DLC!!!

Mael

Just got the disc version yesterday, I don't know why but I expected bonus modes....
It's indeed way harder than vanilla NSMBU!
Kinda taking it raw at first, it'll be fun I guess!

Mael

I really think no one should touch it without being done with NSMBU, I mean it begins like the 2nd quest of Zelda.
Like it's harder than most vanilla levels! even the secret ones.
Great value I guess but the disc version seems a bit...bare.
Hey I can lend it to my friends!
....When they'll get a WiiU that is...

LaNaranja

Amazing game. Totally worth the $20. Fire Bar Sprint was the hardest level. My chest was pounding when I finally made it through.

zlCfzREinSwUEJVb-B

Picked up the boxed version a couple of days ago, it's really really good!

At first it was difficult to get used to Luigi's movement and jumping physics, but once they clicked I actually prefer them to Mario's now, and the 100 second time limit keeps the game moving at a fast pace.

Looking forward to getting all the star coins now, though that took me ages on Mario U so could be a while! :p

Top Bottom