• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Luigi U |OT| I do it !

getting the first star coin after getting the second in peek a boo ghost house is freaking devious.

its thrown my whole coin getting world view out of whack man!

RagnarokX

mRgn49M.jpg

Well, that was great. :D

Nemesis_

Guys, I'm not crazy am I? The boss battles are exactly the same right? Or is my hazy memory of NSMBU proving me otherwise?

Nemesis_

They do seem to be, yeah

Even the Bowser and Bowser Jr fights? :(

I know it's called Luigi U, but is there anyway to play as Mario?

I dare say that the courses are built around Luigi's abilities, the game would be either nigh impossible or way too easy using Mario.

So no, I don't think he's playable. Nabbit seems to be the closest thing to Mario you could get. Or maybe one of the Toads? I'm not sure, I haven't dabbled in multiplayer yet.

JoeM86

Managed to defeat Bowser today, and found all the secret exits...just the Star Coins left and thus the rest of the game.

The baby Yoshis really are helpful in this, especially the Blue one. It's just a shame they don't respawn often

Can this be purchased digitally without buying the original game?

No. It's DLC of that game so requires it

I earned my fifth star a few minutes ago. I've got to say, Fire Bar Sprint is a great level to play in front of people if you want them to think you're a supremely skilled player. In fact, there's not much to it but finding the right groove and running straight ahead, but it sure looks good when you do it.

Andrew J.

I beat this game a little while ago...and by "beat this game", I mean "cheesed the secret exits to get to final level as fast as possible". Now to go after all the Star Coins...*gulp*

I must say, it's rare for a video game challenge to make me feel this intimidated. It's actually quite exciting.

Is there any way you can find out which levels you hit the top of the flag on? I have 4 stars and I just don't have a clue which levels I hit the top of the flag on, and I'm pretty sure thats how I get the 5th star.

I don't think you need to hit the top of the flagpoles (I doubt I did). If it's anything like NSMBU, you just need to find all 94 flagpoles. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's a good way to figure out which one(s) you might have missed.

The NSMB series could do a better job of showing if you've found all a level's secrets. Galaxy handled it better, as did 3D Land iirc. It would be great if they followed DKC3's example and used distinct visual indicators (on the map itself) for completing different side objectives.

I don't think you need to hit the top of the flagpoles (I doubt I did). If it's anything like NSMBU, you just need to find all 94 flagpoles. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's a good way to figure out which one(s) you might have missed.

The NSMB series could do a better job of showing if you've found all a level's secrets. Galaxy handled it better, as did 3D Land iirc. It would be great if they followed DKC3's example and used distinct visual indicators (on the map itself) for completing different side objectives.

hmm thanks for the tips. I guess I missed a flag somewhere...

Kinda sucks that this DLC version of the game requires NSMBU to play, since the retail version won't...

Sometimes Nintendo just does things that make absolutely no sense at all...sigh

JoeM86

Kinda sucks that this DLC version of the game requires NSMBU to play, since the retail version won't...

Sometimes Nintendo just does things that make absolutely no sense at all...sigh

No, it makes perfect sense. It is DLC, and DLC requires the main game. DLC almost always (I say almost because I'm not familiar with all DLC from all games ever to have existed) requires the original game to play.

It's just being sold at retail to give an option for those who do not have the internet. Nintendo isn't even the first to do this, Rockstar for example have done it with their GTA IV DLC and Red Dead Redemption DLC.

No, it makes perfect sense. It is DLC, and DLC requires the main game.

It's just being sold at retail to give an option for those who do not have the internet. Nintendo isn't even the first to do this, Rockstar for example have done it with their GTA IV DLC and Red Dead Redemption DLC.
Is it really DLC though when the retail version won't require the disk?

Yes, it is. Do you question that of the GTA IV and Red Dead DLC?
Now that you mention, yeah, I don't consider them DLC either, but here's the point, they didn't have to make u require NSMBU, its arbitary and unnecessary, whether its DLC, expansion, whatever you wanna call it.

Standalone stuff has been done before, to call it DLC just so the download version of the game requires the main game, while the retail version doesn't, makes no sense.

JoeM86

It'd be illogical for them to release it retail and require the other game for it.

The retail release is just an option for those without internet and/or collectors. It in no way stops it from being DLC, especially as the retail release is only being sold until the end of the year while the DLC will forever be sold

elektrixx

Banned
I rather download a big file once than having to insert the disc every single time i play it. Its one of the biggest reason I choose to download shit.
Me too, but I don't want the future of games to be hung up by people that insist on relying on archaic technology like discs.

Wii U downloads are slow enough.

Foshy

Yes, it is. Do you question that of the GTA IV and Red Dead DLC?
the GTA4 episodes and RDR Undead Nightmare are completely stand-alone, even as digital downloads. Other recent examples of standalone "DLC" are Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Anyway, in the case of NSLU, it's not a problem because I really doubt that anyone interested in it doesn't already own NSMBU.

It'd be illogical for them to release it retail and require the other game for it.

The retail release is just an option for those without internet and/or collectors. It in no way stops it from being DLC, especially as the retail release is only being sold until the end of the year while the DLC will forever be sold
More illogical than downloading basically a standalone game but still needing a disc? I could understand this last gen, but now? Its kinda meh.

the GTA4 episodes and RDR Undead Nightmare are completely stand-alone, even as digital downloads. Other recent examples of standalone "DLC" are Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Anyway, in the case of NSLU, it's not a problem because I really doubt that anyone interested in it doesn't already own NSMBU.
Its not about having NSMBU or not though, its the inconvenience of needing to put in the disk, I know it sounds like I'm making a bigger deal than it really is, but things like this about Nintendo really irks me and its been building up.

Me too, but I don't want the future of games to be hung up by people that insist on relying on archaic technology like discs.

Wii U downloads are slow enough.
In a perfect world we'd have the xbone without all the drm crap, but being all digital.

JoeM86

More illogical than downloading basically a standalone game but still needing a disc? I could understand this last gen, but now? Its kinda meh.

Its not about having NSMBU or not though, its the inconvenience of needing to put in the disk, I know it sounds like I'm making a bigger deal than it really is, but things like this about Nintendo really irks me and its been building up.

Could you not have NSMBU downloaded and run it through that? That'd not require a disc.

Foshy

True, didn't think about that.

Could you not have NSMBU downloaded and run it through that? That'd not require a disc.
That'd require a digital download of NSMBU, though. Try telling that to people who already own the disk release.

Then again, you might say that people who don't like switching disks should've got the DD version to begin with if it irks them so much.

True, didn't think about that.

That'd require a digital download of NSMBU, though. Try telling that to people who already own the disk release.

Then again, you might say that people who don't like switching disks should've got the DD version to begin with if it irks them so much.
Yeah but it was a launch title and all, 99% would have bought the game in the shops when they get the console. I guess I should take a part of the blame, damn you Nintendo. =[

Eusis

the GTA4 episodes and RDR Undead Nightmare are completely stand-alone, even as digital downloads.
Think that's only on PC when you buy the Episodes pack for GTA4, and simply not there for Undead Nightmare. Or it COULD be an option and I haven't looked into it, which is a valid point to bring up if you don't already own the base game or want to format shift for it.

If it weren't for the packaging NSLU is getting (and the fact I DO tend to prefer to get something like Mario or Zelda physically) I'd definitely spring for digital, but as is I'm still on the fence. I think I'll beat NSMBU first before I bother with digital though.

Forkball

Just got to the halfway mark in the desert level and wow, this game isn't playing around. It really feels like something designed for Mario fans: just crazy and challenging levels. What does the pixel Luigi picture in the castles represent? Just a visual easter egg?

Just finished this last night, getting everything.

AMAZING DLC. This is the way it should be done.

Luigi was really weird to control at first (especially after so much Rayman Challenges App) but after a bit you really learn to love his abilities. The Mario switch block puts it in really stark contrast. Luigi's abilities are crazy good. The way the levels use knowledge of his flutterstep is fantastic.

zroid

Banned
I've been thoroughly demoralized by my inability to find the 1-2 secret exit and have not played this in a couple days. :(

Still, I refuse to look at a hint. Goddammit.

bumpkin

Still undecided on this. I don't like hard games :/
I think it's harder than NSMBU, but primarily because of the time restraint. I will say I came close to getting a game over screen before I was through world 1, meanwhile in NSMBU, I'm pretty sure I had double digit extra lives by the end of world 1.

shawnlreed

I've been thoroughly demoralized by my inability to find the 1-2 secret exit and have not played this in a couple days. :(

Still, I refuse to look at a hint. Goddammit.

Be strong. Don't look at hints.
You'll be proud of yourself once you find it.
It's devious but not ridiculously impossible to find.
Finding secret exits may be my favorite part of these New Super Mario games!

Frodo

If the disc is your only complaint, you can always download NSMBU and then donwload the DLC. No disk needed.

But yeah, if you want the stand alone DLC without NSMBU you will need the diskk...

AGoodODST

Finished most of the game a couple of days ago, but finally got a chance to tackle Superstar Road.

Some of these stages are just fantastic, Under Construction being my favourite.

Of all the stages that ended far too soon for my liking Under Construction was the main culprit, so much potential there.
Which is to say its great, but I demand more.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm baffled that the Eurogamer reviewer accuses NSLU to be unfair. Not once did I have the feeling of the game being unfair. There was one stupid secret exit (the one leading to the ice world), but there was not one moment where I thought this game was unfair, what does he even mean?

Why are games journalists criticizing this for being too similar to NSMBU? No, seriously, what the actual fuck? It's downloadable content. Are they supposed to make a new game engine?

Top Bottom