• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Luigi U |OT| I do it !

Sagitario

Friends have commented that the level design isn't that good. Is that true?
I'm still waiting for the physical release.

Friends have commented that the level design isn't that good. Is that true?
I'm still waiting for the physical release.

It's up to the taste of the gamer.

The levels are more concise, harder and much wackier.

I had more fun with the DLC than the original game but liked both a good deal.

Mogwai

Finally got my hands on this:

NSLU.jpg

It's Luigi time!

Yuripaw

Banned
I've been resisting buying the DLC version for the past 2 months while waiting for the physical release, I just hope it won't be difficult to find...I don't quite understand it, but usually when I preorder something, I order on bestbuy.com for in store pick up, and it's not available for in store pick up at all.

Yuterald

Got my physical copy today. Played through the first world and I'm digging it. Love the time limit and no checkpoints. The pace of the levels are great. Feels like a totally different game compared to the original. Cool stuff.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Picked it up from Gamestop on the way home tonight. FWIW, my local Gamestop had a small number of copies available for people who didn't pre-order.

I won't be able to dig into it until a little later, so I've just registered the game on Club Nintendo and thumbed through the packaging for now. I noticed that there's no instruction manual included; just a small pamphlet explaining how to open the digital manual in-game instead.

Sixfortyfive

Played through world 1. Luigi physics take a little getting used to but aren't as bad here as they are in Lost Levels.

Is it just me or does the timer count down more slowly than in NSMBU? I'd have to double check.

EDIT: There are a LOT more frustrated Miiverse death posts in this game, lol.

Sixfortyfive

And 100% done. Took roughly 10 hours of play to do it. I guess I'm Mario'd out until 3D World drops.

If there's one thing I didn't care for, it's that having a 100-second timer is kind of a direct design conflict with secret exits and star coins. But I have that problem with every modern Mario game that has a timer. At least the forced brevity means that the ghost houses are far less obnoxious this time around. It's also much more compelling to play "just one more" stage when they're this condensed.

Some of these levels seem like they'd be pretty funny with 4 players. Hope I can make time for that in the near future.

I went into Best Buy on Sunday to pick up my copy but they were nowhere to be found. I asked an associate who then looked in-section on the sales floor where I had already looked. I then explained to him the game was street-dated and was probably in the back. He went back there to look, then came out and looked up front at customer service, and then returned to the back. 15 minutes later, he appeared with the game and some apologies. The store got 4 copies.

I played the game for about an hour and it seems really fun. The levels are very well designed and I'm a bit of a Luigi fan anyway so this is a nice treat. I will say that I wish there were more differences with NSMBU, such as a different intro or world map. I have to remind myself it's just (expensive) DLC, though.

Megatron

I went into Best Buy on Sunday to pick up my copy but they were nowhere to be found. I asked an associate who then looked in-section on the sales floor where I had already looked. I then explained to him the game was street-dated and was probably in the back. He went back there to look, then came out and looked up front at customer service, and then returned to the back. 15 minutes later, he appeared with the game and some apologies. The store got 4 copies.

I played the game for about an hour and it seems really fun. The levels are very well designed and I'm a bit of a Luigi fan anyway so this is a nice treat. I will say that I wish there were more differences with NSMBU, such as a different intro or world map. I have to remind myself it's just (expensive) DLC, though.

Glad they figured it out. I had that problem with them when I wanted the animal crossing new leaf guide. They couldn't find it and told me t wasn't there. So I used my phone to order it via in store pickup, which they apparently take more seriously. I had it in 20 minutes.

Sixfortyfive

Got a few ?s and pieces of info I didn't see discussed earlier in the thread:

- Does the DLC version count as a distinct game on the Wii U activity log, or is all playtime for NSLU lumped under NSMBU? On the retail version, it counts as a distinct game.
- I'm also kind of curious how the different versions categorize save data, and if saves are compatible between DLC and retail. I have the retail versions of both NSMBU and NSLU, which each have their own game listings under Data Management. The two games each have their own individual Shared Save Data files as well as their own save files for my player profile. NSMBU also has an Update Data file for its patches.
- How many, if any, Club Nintendo points do you receive for the DLC version? The retail USA version counts for 40 points upon registration, with possibly a few more if it has one of those post-play surveys that usually come along a little later.

Also, I'm wondering if it's possible to get a "Super Play" congratulatory message for every stage in the game. The requirements for a Super Play appear to be:
- do not take any damage
- get all 3 star coins in one run
- complete the stage in 50 seconds or less

It seems like it would be impossible to meet the 2nd and especially 3rd requirement on some stages, so I'm wondering if it's just not possible on some (particularly the boss stages) or if there might be a different threshold for some stages.

FSLink

Banned
I don't believe it's possible to transfer the save from the DLC version to the retail one, but I may be mistaken. Someone please correct me if there's a way.

Is amazon back ordered or something? I ordered it on Monday and it still hasnt even shipped. Amazon never takes this long just to ship something, even when using free shipping

haikira

About to bite the bullet on this game and a Pro pad. Just wanting to make sure. If I only have a WiiU pad and a Pro Pad, I'll be able to play normal coop with 2 players? Meaning, two people playing the game, both just controlling characters. Or using that setup, would I only be able to have one person playing a character and the other supporting on the touch screen?

Knowing this game it'd be one playing and one block placer.
If you've got any Wii Remotes lying around they work as well to help towards getting actual co-op.

olimpia84

I understand they wanted to make this game more challenging which is fine but Nintendo needs to get rid of the stupid 'save only after you beat a castle system.' Why do I need to repeat levels I already beaten?

The game is ok, level design is good and appropriate for the 100 second limit but I hate Luigi's physics =/

Hey, I just bought the retail version of New Super Luigi U and was wondering if there was a download hook for New Super Mario Bros. U. I heard there was a hook for NSMBU towards NSLU and was curious if the opposite was true.

I would check myself but I don't have a Wii U yet.

Deku Tree

I understand they wanted to make this game more challenging which is fine but Nintendo needs to get rid of the stupid 'save only after you beat a castle system.' Why do I need to repeat levels I already beaten?

You don't... you can do a "quick save" when you press the menu button on the touch screen. It only lasts until the next time you load up, but you can always do another quick save after the next time you load the game.

If you were allowed to do a full save after every level then it would totally break the "lives system" and you could just reset the console after you died twenty times on a single level to bring back your twenty lives that you had saved up. It would be less fun that way IMO.

braves01

Banned
I finished running through the game last night and just spent an hour and a half coin/secret exit hunting.

Thoughts at this point: Not as hard as I expected coming into this (although I'm sure there are some star road levels that are a doozy), although that may simply be to the fact I've already five-starred NSMB U a couple times. That said, I like the shorter levels sans checkpoint a lot, and pretty much every level is significantly altered almost to the point of being unrecognizable. Zipping through levels is quick so replaying them never comes close to being a chore in terms of time.

Luigi's physics aren't that tough to get used, and in my opinion are actually EASIER than Mario in NSMB U because it's easy to control when he gets that extra little float at the end of his jumps so you can more or less just jump as Mario would if you want to. His slipperiness seems negligible and is less severe than the slipperiness in typical ice levels for example.

This is pretty exactly what I wanted out of NSMB U DLC. It feels like it could be a truly full game (if Nintendo had released this with Mario skins back at launch I don't think anyone would suspect something was off). The only thing missing really is boost mode and challenge, but for $30 this is a steal.

Roo

I know I'm way too late to the party... and it is even worse considering I'm a huge Luigi fan (no excuses) but it is finally here.

jWXwEwAVsGAHq.jpg

I had some pretty bad financial problems a couple months ago to the point I couldn't even aford this game but now, everything is getting better and I finally bought this bad boy.
Last week I bought Need For Speed, Darksiders will be here in a couple days.
Man it feels nice.

Anyway, it is now part of my Wii U family. yay!! \o/
I'm excited and I can't wait to play it.

illadelph

So this is my first Wii U game (besides the Wind Waker HD icluded with my console) and ohh shit haha. Playing this without playing NSMBU first is baptism by fire. Got through the first world map with every star coin except for one that I seem to need a mini mushroom for (I haven't gotten one yet.) The timer combined with the crazy ass levels and slippery Luigi physics makes for a difficult experience to say the least. Really like it so far.

Zing

Banned
I recently acquired a Wii U and planned on buying this on retail disc. However, after using the system a bit, I decided to just DLC it. I am still a physical disc guy and don't plan on buying any non-DLC digital content, but for the amount of storage space this uses and the low cost, digital is fine here. I haven't played it yet, as I am waiting until I finish the base game. I'm hoping for a challenge.

PrimeX

Just got it from eShop and while waiting for SM3DW this is a good substitute.
Nice level design until now, and you have to be clever to finish in time and still collect all star coins and other stuff around.
Wanted to join the Year of Luigi before 2013 ends, and mamma miaaaaaa, son venuto appena in tempo.

Luigi time!

Picked this up from Best Buy for $15 brand new a few days ago -- great price for this game by the way, pumped to have the physical release for less than the cost of digital, especially because I don't even have NSMBU.

So, I've played through the first world and a bit of the second. It's much more difficult than I expected, but I'm also a bit rusty with platformers. Died to the very first enemy on level 1 as I didn't expect Luigi to have such floaty jumps. Got it figured out now at least.

I'm curious, is there any point (besides the feeling of accomplishment and fun!) in collecting all the star coins? Does it unlock new levels or anything?

maxcriden

Picked this up from Best Buy for $15 brand new a few days ago -- great price for this game by the way, pumped to have the physical release for less than the cost of digital, especially because I don't even have NSMBU.

So, I've played through the first world and a bit of the second. It's much more difficult than I expected, but I'm also a bit rusty with platformers. Died to the very first enemy on level 1 as I didn't expect Luigi to have such floaty jumps. Got it figured out now at least.

I'm curious, is there any point (besides the feeling of accomplishment and fun!) in collecting all the star coins? Does it unlock new levels or anything?

It might. There might also be some secret levels in the game. ;)

(oh, and NSMBU is amazing, I highly recommend checking it out as well.)

Gambit

late to the Luigi!

Sometime last year, when I got the game, I beat Bowser as quickly as possible, thinking I would go back to find everything at a later date. Last night that date arrived.

I thought I'd just finish the star coins of one world and ended up binge-playing till I finished them all! Loving this game. But Firebar sprint was nearly impossible.

What a great DLC title. I am now ready for Super Wario Bros U or Peach, even Toad. It was oh so satisfying.

However, I only have four (shiny) stars. So today I will check every secret exit again to see if I have missed any. Anyhing else required?

parkinho

From memory I seem to recall
that you have to catch Nabbit in each World that he appears in.

Might be wrong, but I know that is what stopped me getting 5* on NSMBU first time round.

Gambit

From memory I seem to recall
that you have to catch Nabbit in each World that he appears in.

Might be wrong, but I know that is what stopped me getting 5* on NSMBU first time round.

thanks. I completely ignored him so far. Will do that as well

EDIT: Just did it. Nabbit was the missing piece. All done now! ...I feel empty and want more

Yuterald

Anyone know if you can get additional P. Acorns from Nabbit? I've already 100%'ed/5-Starred the game and have kept/held on to all the P. Acorns given as a reward. I'm looking to get just one more to have a max inventory of P. Acorns. Totally OCD-like, but I've just been curious if it's even possible to get him to appear after you've essentially completed the game in its entirety.

EDIT: Nevermind. Figured it out for myself. Shelving this game for good now lol

Top Bottom