• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's move to real cash hurts UK buyers, helps Canadian buyers

Gowans

On the new beta points are gone and everyone is pound value.

400 points (£3.40) games are now £4.49 - £1.09 / 32%Increase
800 points (£6.80) games are now £8.99 - £2.19 / 32% Increase
1200 points (£10.40) games are now £11.99 - £1.56 / 15% Increase
1600 points (£13.60) games are now at £14.99 - £1.39 / 10% Increase

The unified world wide price system of points are gone.
Prices are now online with PSN & Steam that were always more expensive that XBLA.

However they have done it in such a lazy way that the some games are priced more as the £8.99 games tend to be tweaked to 6/7.99 on PSN/Syram I.e Magic the gathering.

AS OF NOW:
$5 = £3.37 (+ 20% VAT = £4.04 )
$10 = £6.73 (+ 20% VAT = £8.08 )
$15 = £10.09 (+ 20% VAT = £12.10 )
$20 = £13.45 (+ 20% VAT = £16.14 )

Euro Prices
400 Microsoft Points (€4.80) = €4.99
800 Microsoft Points (€9.60) = €9.99
1200 Microsoft Points (€14.40) = €14.99
1600 Microsoft Points (€19.20) = €19.99

UPDATE

Microsoft fixing ‘incorrect game pricing’ for the Xbox Live beta

“We are aware that select regions experienced some incorrect game title pricing in the Xbox Live beta,” a Microsoft spokesperson told GamesBeat. “This was an unintended error that we are in the process of fixing. We’ll be reimbursing impacted beta participants for the difference in what was paid and what the price will be after the update is available to all members.”

I've got the final prices:

400 point games are now £3.49
800 point games are now £6.99
1200 point games are now £9.99
1600 point games are now £13.49

BibiMaghoo

{people scream for points back}

That is a shame, though I guess someone was going to end up paying more. Why not the UK? We pay more for many things.

On the new beta points are gone and everyone is pound value.

400 points (£3.40) games are now £4.49
800 points (£6.80) games are now £8.99
1200 points (£10.40) games are now £11.99
1600 points (£13.60) games are now at £14.99

SO £9 for a $10 game now? Or will the US prices (and other regions) go up too?

Absolutely disgraceful price gouging from MS.

Gowans

Technically this NDA info keke
Worttg breaking the NDA for ifXbox.com didn't exist beta users would be paying more.

When it rolls out to all, we'll all be over here :(

Ps it now means XBLA is online with steam and PSN over here, XBLA was always cheaper thanks to the one world wide price point of points.

Shit like this happens when people whine about points, still in utter disbelief people didn't like the points system.

And now we're getting fucked for it.

Gowans

Always been a fan of points,

Get them cheap
One world wide price point
Etc.

You only need to look at games on Demand pricing differences when they broke it and PSN to see we had it good.

Cynar

Shit like this happens when people whine about points, still in utter disbelief people didn't like the points system.

Yup. You could sometimes find sales on points cards. Now you won't be able to. It really sucks and I'm disappointed but the louder group won. :(

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon

Points were great, tons of promotions to get free points, i got over 500 dollars worth of free points thanks to them. And they are usually on sale a lot.

But people kept whining about points so... enjoy!

Fuck off MS.

Bu bu but they did the consumers right by taking away the DRM!!!

This is the way I see it.

MS tries to fuck me in the ass.
They then say they won't fuck me in the ass.

And I'm supposed to believe them?

It's this type of repeat shit that won't make me fall for it.

Certinty

Great stuff.

Microsoft giving me more and more reasons only to get a PS4 next-gen, right now the probability of me getting an Xbox One within 2 years of release is 0.5%.

MCD

TAX included maybe?

Don't care really. I can at least use MS Gift cards with my Windows Phone after bitching for 3 years straight.

...Wait, PSN prices have always been £9 in the UK and $10 in the US? How have I not noticed this before?

Sony are the fuckers screwing us over then.

Were those old prices official MS prices or just the cheapest price you could get MS points?

When I calculated it (in 2006) I did it off the RRP of the points, and then there was some conversion site that went up that said the same thing. Its just how its always been.

harSon

Banned
To this day, I still have no clue as to why people constantly cried for dollar amounts over point cards.

snap0212

Always been a fan of points,

Get them cheap
One world wide price point
Etc.

You only need to look at games on Demand pricing differences when they broke it and PSN to see we had it good.
Both things have their up and downsides. The world wide price point this is not true. I've always been asked to pay 10€ for games that were $10 in the US. PSN (at least sometimes) then offered those games for a bit less, 15$ games were not always 15€.

U2NUMB

Was this not always the idea of points? One "price" no matter where it is sold? People that complained really had no idea why it was done that way... easy from a promotion standpoint for sure.

It is a bummer for sure now they they will be going away.

airborn

Euroland prices:

400 Microsoft Points (€4.80) = €4.99
800 Microsoft Points (€9.60) = €9.99
1200 Microsoft Points (€14.40) = €14.99
1600 Microsoft Points (€19.20) = €19.99

It's similar to Windows Phone where $1 equals €1, while on Windows 8 there's an actual exchange rate.

iMax

Was this not always the idea of points? One "price" no matter where it is sold? People that complained really had no idea why it was done that way... easy from a promotion standpoint for sure.

It is a bummer for sure now they they will be going away.

The idea of points is so people always buy more than they need. They ship in increments of 1600, right? Most DLC is 1200, so most people will just buy two sets of 1600. Profit.

PSGames

The idea of points is so people always buy more than they need. They ship in increments of 1600, right? Most DLC is 1200, so most people will just buy two sets of 1600. Profit.

You can buy in 400 point increments direct from the dashboard.

Top Bottom