• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's move to real cash hurts UK buyers, helps Canadian buyers

Its not the sort of thing they should be getting wrong in the first place. But I am glad they are fixing it. I hope its in line with what it currently is. Then I can go and buy some points to celebrate.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So 800 pts games will now be £6.99 and it looks like 400 pts games will now be £3.49.

Haven't seen any 1200pts/£11.99 games that have switched yet.

Gowans

Nope. First time I've read it. This should be updated in the OP and thread title.
DONE

So 800 pts games will now be £6.99 and it looks like 400 pts games will now be £3.49.

Haven't seen any 1200pts/£11.99 games that have switched yet.

so you think

400 points (£3.40) games are now £3.49
800 points (£6.80) games are now £6.99
1200 points (£10.40) games are now £10.49
1600 points (£13.60) games are now at £13.99

Seems fair

vg260

Yep, we've had it fantastic the past few years.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm currently in the process of stocking up on many cheap points cards as possible. Also keeping an eye out for stores that will be holding firesales for any points cards they might have in stock.

But they will expire a year after conversion, right?

elektrixx

Banned
No matter what amount I have, I'll likely go through it all buying launch window games. So far I have around 16000MSP stockpiled. The once large amount will be nothing when I'm buying full games at their release date.

Udham

From India, apologies if posted before.
I'm not on beta but people are reporting that 800 points game now cost 40% more than what they used to.

Earlier:
800 MSPOINT = 544 RS.

Now:
Now the same 800 points game will cost = 760 RS.

However, this is very uneven pricing since 1200 points game will cost 940 RS, roughly 15% more than the earlier pricing.

Notably, 9.99$ games on Indian PSN cost 480 RS. We gonna be PSnation soon. ;p

AssassiN

got the wrong hit

I believe it's only the initial batch that you have when the conversion happens (when the update is released) that expire after 12 months, any cards you add after that will not expire after 12 months is how i understand it.

How long do we have before it's rolled out?

No idea. I would guess ~3-6 weeks. Basing that on nothing but a gut feeling.

Try to read this and other threads on currency-specific info on how the MSP transition will affect you. Don't want to break NDA with specifics.

vg260

I believe it's only the initial batch that you have when the conversion happens (when the update is released) that expire after 12 months, any cards you add after that will not expire after 12 months is how i understand it.

Sucks because I redeemed the bulk of mine already, and may not get a One for myself for some time or at all. I stand to lose a ton of points. It's nonsense they would wipe out already redeemed points from your account that weren't even promo points.

bidguy

Banned
Sucks because I redeemed the bulk of mine already, and may not get a One for myself for some time or at all. I stand to lose a ton of points. It's nonsense they would wipe out already redeemed points from your account that weren't even promo points.

you could buy your xbox one games from the website before you get the console.

sangreal

As mentioned, only the initial batch which is converted expires. They haven't said anything about points added later expiring.

They have addressed both cases. It's actually 2 years for converted points, and never for money added later:
The currency we add to your account at the time of the transition will expire on June 1, 2015. However, the currency you purchase and add to your account after the transition will not expire.

Not sure if this was posted, but MS has told Joystiq that the higher prices were an error, and anyone affected will be refunded the difference.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/10/xbox-live-beta-experiencing-incorrect-pricing-in-select-regions/

We are aware that select regions experienced some incorrect game title pricing in the Xbox Live beta. This was an unintended error that we are in the process of fixing. We'll be reimbursing impacted beta participants for the difference in what was paid and what the price will be after the update is available to all members.

Of note, beta programs give us a chance to test, fix and correct issues like this. As with all betas, we take the learnings from our program and make corrections and adjustments prior to the update being available to all members. As always, we appreciate the participation of our beta customers in helping us launch and build great products.

Always been a fan of points,

Get them cheap
One world wide price point
Etc.

You only need to look at games on Demand pricing differences when they broke it and PSN to see we had it good.

Exactly, getting MS Point cards are sale is literally free money, I wish they would have kept the points, but understand why they did it.

also, the update took a while to download, so if you get in, go make a sandwich while the update installs

They have addressed both cases. It's actually 2 years for converted points, and never for money added later:

Two years is decent enough. Might even have a One by then....

Not sure if this was posted, but MS has told Joystiq that the higher prices were an error, and anyone affected will be refunded the difference.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/10/xbox-live-beta-experiencing-incorrect-pricing-in-select-regions/

YES! I had a feeling this might be the case, but was starting to lose hope as other regions starting to chime in about their price conversions.

so you think

400 points (£3.40) games are now £3.49
800 points (£6.80) games are now £6.99
1200 points (£10.40) games are now £10.49
1600 points (£13.60) games are now at £13.99

Seems fair

I wouldn't say it's fair in the purest sense of the word since prices have seeimingly risen, albeit by 0.09p, but at least we're not getting screwed over as hard as we were a couple of days ago.

Krilekk

Banned
Its not the sort of thing they should be getting wrong in the first place. But I am glad they are fixing it. I hope its in line with what it currently is. Then I can go and buy some points to celebrate.

It's a beta test, for crying out loud. It's supposed to make things wrong that get fixed afterwards.

It's a beta test, for crying out loud. It's supposed to make things wrong that get fixed afterwards.

It's possible, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if there was an element of let's see what happens when the bump the prices to compensate for the currency rate differences.

Its a beta test, you expect bugs, glitches. Surely all the prices were basically "Convert 400pts to this value, 800 to this" - its such a basic thing and they should have checked it before they released. I don't consider it to be a technical thing.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I've got the final prices:

400 point games are now £3.49
800 point games are now £6.99
1200 point games are now £9.99
1600 point games are now £13.49

Petrie

Banned
Its a beta test, you expect bugs, glitches. Surely all the prices were basically "Convert 400pts to this value, 800 to this" - its such a basic thing and they should have checked it before they released. I don't consider it to be a technical thing.

TEST.

Exactly, it would have gone through many stages before reaching this point.

They would 100% have not blindly released the beta to everyone without going through a rigorous internal QA process first.

It should also go through a pre-QA stage where the stakeholders go through the release to confirm they are happy with how their requested features and changes have been executed etc.

This beta is more about finding edge cases and odd scenarios not glaring errors like incorrect pricing or that major functionality is not working as intended.

They could give a big QA team 4 months on it and they wouldn't find stuff that people will find during this test, because everyone has different console revisions and all manor of different things installed on their console and an internal QA team would be hard pushed to go through all permutations and that's why they do these betas.

What I'm wondering is what is the point of allowing the converted points to expire? Why?
Hell I could be wrong, but the expiring points seems to be one of those cases where a company makes a change then pushes through an additional policy that benefits nobody other than themself. I really think with all the bad press MS has received lately, pushing through a policy that doesn't benefit their customers and that will in all likelyhood give them free money, is a horrible move. Sure I had $23.00 in points converted and I will spend them in two years, but that doesn't change the fact that, afaik, there is no good reason to enforce points/money to expire.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
What I'm wondering is what is the point of allowing the converted points to expire? Why?
Hell I could be wrong, but the expiring points seems to be one of those cases where a company makes a change then pushes through an additional policy that benefits nobody other than themself. I really think with all the bad press MS has received lately, pushing through a policy that doesn't benefit their customers and that will in all likelyhood give them free money, is a horrible move. Sure I had $23.00 in points converted and I will spend them in two years, but that doesn't change the fact that, afaik, there is no good reason to enforce points/money to expire.

Probably just some dumb accounting thing.

EvB

It's possible, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if there was an element of let's see what happens when the bump the prices to compensate for the currency rate differences.

Indeed, those original prices were too nice and round to be automated, especially when the system that calculates the points conversion doesn't round it up either.

It's still annoying that they have now made it so you are going to be left with pennis on your account which you will never use up.

So this is interesting,

£2.04 GBP 10/07/2014

I redeemed 240 points on the tenth to double check the conversion rate and it now says those points/currency will expire....

I thought only points initially converted where pegged to expire?

Lima

They are also still adjusting prices throughout this beta.

A 800 point game/DLC was 9,99€, now they are 9,49€.

Top Bottom