• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's move to real cash hurts UK buyers, helps Canadian buyers

For those asking about the Windows 8 store, I just checked and it still wants money from my credit card, and offers no other options.

ShogunX

lol everyone has been hating the points system for this entire generation. Now we get it converted to local currency and they complaint even more!

This is what I dont understand. Why the fuck have people been moaning about the points system when multiple amazing deals have popped up throughout the generation for points. Most of us have even had a lot of points for free due to promotions or internet store fuck ups.

Frustrating to see we now get the shitty end of the stick with pricing. Thanks guys.

PaulLFC

lol everyone has been hating the points system for this entire generation. Now we get it converted to local currency and they complaint even more!
Because the conversions have not resulted in the correct prices (for the UK at least). What's so difficult to understand?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
As said earlier, do you really think MS changed this because of people complaining?

No, they saw an opportunity to make more money.

I expect you're of the believe that they changed the DRM on the Xbox One because "your feedback matters".

No, it doesn't mean jack shit. The pre-orders were terrible so they went back on their awful policies that they were so happy to initially force on you.

The complaints were a factor, I'm sure of that. As for your second point, what the fuck are you wibbling on about? When did I even mention DRM? Keep your fanboy-driven fantasies to yourself, chap.

Vashetti

Banned
The complaints were a factor, I'm sure of that. As for your second point, what the fuck are you wibbling on about? When did I even mention DRM? Keep your fanboy-driven fantasies to yourself, chap.

It's me correlating the two.

I'm saying they didn't change the points to real-world currency because of complaints, they changed it because they saw they could make more money.

The same with the DRM fiasco. They didn't change it because of displeased fans, they changed it because the pre-orders were awful and they realised Sony were going to win by a landslide.

Biker19

Banned
Microsoft is trying real hard to lose their UK dominance. In-fact, I have a strong feeling they will lose it this next generation to the PS4.

They better hope that they don't ever lose their U.S. dominance, or they're really fucked.

Nothing new. Thats been happening to me with PSN purchases (except the free ones) and I think the last time I bought something digitally from Nintendo.

This is why I only stick to prepaid cards as well as through online game codes/subscription downloads on sites like Amazon, etc.

JudgeB

Banned
Wow you will get a billing email every time you buy something now.

This has been happening whenever I spend cash on something for WP/Win 8 for years now. I get a bill email every time I spend a dollar on WP7 games. It makes sense since it is actual money now.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
It's me correlating the two.

I'm saying they didn't change the points to real-world currency because of complaints, they changed it because they saw they could make more money.

The same with the DRM fiasco. They didn't change it because of displeased fans, they changed it because the pre-orders were awful and they realised Sony were going to win by a landslide.

It's a profit-boosting move (although I question whether it will make them more money) but the complaints, which have been ongoing since the inception of Xbox Live on the 360, give countenance to the policy change. Just as if there had been enough 'fans' who were prepared to accept the Xbox One's higher price point and draconian DRM policies, there would have been more preorders and the DRM and online check would have remained. You are vastly underestimating the influence of the fan/consumer in both of these situations.

Gamejunky

I just tried to change my payment info when I was on the 400 days buy screen and it purchased it without me confirming it, WTF

Edit: Oh and they charge tax now so that's fun, 4.99 comes out to 5.64. Oh and under my account it says I have 1.74 expiring in a week? How the hell does money expire?

I'm in the beta burnout played my 360 today.

Guess the borderlands 2 dlc on sale was my last ever live transaction then, stupid price hike greed.

Congrats to gag and all gamers ,it is what you asked for

Please back this up with some evidence. How about you show us the legion of people that said "remove MS points and increase the prices". I think you might have a hard time finding any one that actually said that.

You are "blaming" the wrong people. You should be blaming Microsoft, they are the ones that saw an opportunity to increase prices under the guise of removing the MS point system. But no for some reason you don't want to blame Microsoft, no it is the consumers fault yet again as it always seems to be when companies in the gaming industry do something really shitty.

Lirrik

Anyone from Australia in beta? I am afraid to update now, if Microsoft screwed UK so hard I can only imagine Australian prices.

CLEEK

...Wait, PSN prices have always been £9 in the UK and $10 in the US? How have I not noticed this before?

Sony are the fuckers screwing us over then.

You haven't noticed it, because it's not true. Look at a couple of recent $10 games.

Thomas Was Alone.
US PSN - $9.99
UK PSN - £5.99

Hotline Miami.
US PSN - $9.99
UK PSN - £6.49

The new MS pricing is more expensive than PSN in the UK. The Xbox One is 33% less powerful than the PS4, but the digital games will be 33% more expensive. Good skills, Microsoft.

malfcn

So you can change your region to Canada, get the $ and in 6 months change back?

Also, this is going to look weird now with pennies accumulating in accounts. The $10 price is now $9.99 for me.

For those asking about the Windows 8 store, I just checked and it still wants money from my credit card, and offers no other options.

Works on WP under MS account option as of right now. Sure it will come to W8 too. Also no more funding a wallet. You pay only for what you want to buy now.

So no left over money you don't plan on spending immediately unless you use a giftcard/pointscard. Pretty dope all around great change. Hope Sony and Nintendo follow suite to drop wallet BS.

Joeku

When the points stuff started the Canadian dollar was in the shitter so our points card being less made some sense, though was kinda douchey.

What had a high level of douchocity was when our dollar was evened out with America's for five years or so but we still get fucked on points values.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I have no doubt that MS will gleefully kick their Australian customers in the ballsacks - goddamn you MS, you shitbags.

I have no doubt that MS will gleefully kick their Australian customers in the ballsacks - goddamn you MS, you shitbags.

Glad I didn't jump on the Beta.

At least it will make the move to PS4 easier now that prices will be the same since I can't source cheap points cards from here on out.

Wait, so I have to pay tax now? (Canadian in BC)
Why the fuck do I pay tax on xbl but not on PSN?
How does this help Canadians?
This is fucking massive levels of fuck I never wanted. I loved cheap points, loved converting to points and paying less and also loved not paying tax. Fuck this pile of dicks Microsoft, and fuck them dry!

Slavik81

Awesome. I always hated points... And they made games cheaper too? Double awesome.

But I guess it's kind of moot. I doubt I'll be buying an Xbone, so...

sangreal

I can see why this sucks, but it shouldn't be unexpected. Before you were making purchases with US dollars* and taking advantage of a strong exchange rate. Now you have normal regional pricing based on the local currency and market.

*Points were tied to the US dollar, with each point being worth .0125$ USD regardless of where you bought it, or how much you paid. That is how MS would pay 3rd parties (and at least one developer complained about this publicly)

Tumo

If I'm reading it correctly the conversion seems to go against Microsoft's faq on what's meant to happen (which is linked to in the conversion process as a place for more information).

http://xbox.com/pointsfaq

How did Microsoft determine the amount of currency added to my Microsoft account?

To make this a seamless and positive experience for our customers, we have considered many factors to help ensure that the amount added to your Microsoft account will be of equal or greater Marketplace value than your Microsoft Points. Marketplace value may not always be equivalent to retail price. Retail price is determined by the Retailer, whereas Marketplace value reflects the value of Points throughout Microsoft stores.

In the UK it has not been converted to "marketplace value" as what you cannot buy an 800 point game with the currency they convert your 800 points to.

I'm a bit confused, it said it took away my points and changed them into real money (just over 2 quid), but I can't seem to use that on purchases?
When I go to buy something, the money in my account is not subtracted like what happened before when you have points in your account.

...now my money is stored in a "microsoft account" in the billing options and it's greyed out, I can't access it.

Have they locked my money away? I know it's just a small amount, but I'm fucking pissed.

This is what I dont understand. Why the fuck have people been moaning about the points system when multiple amazing deals have popped up throughout the generation for points. Most of us have even had a lot of points for free due to promotions or internet store fuck ups.

Frustrating to see we now get the shitty end of the stick with pricing. Thanks guys.
I never see these deals when I actually want points, Im not a hoarder, Im sick of paying more for games than Americans when theyre the same price on other platforms, and I dont want to pay sales tax on cards.

Youre welcome.

Anyone from Australia in beta? I am afraid to update now, if Microsoft screwed UK so hard I can only imagine Australian prices.

I had 780 points and it told me they were going to convert to $13.20. I think that is a win but not sure.

Anyone in the Beta experiencing any problems joining party chats? Cheers.

I had 780 points and it told me they were going to convert to $13.20. I think that is a win but not sure.

That sort of discussion is only suited for the beta forums on Xbox.com. Posting about the beta in basically any way outside of it is breaking the NDA.

Slygmous

I can't be bothered to math, but considering 1500 points retail at $25 here it seems about equal.

Lurkee

Neo Member
Quit your complaining. Canadians got screwed by Microsoft's "We're not adjusting points prices no matter what exchange rates are" policy. We've been paying $20 for 1400 points since 2005 Despite parody since 2008 or so.

I thought victim blaming was frowned upon on GAF. ;)

Listen this is entirely Microsoft's self-inflicted problem.

- they created the MS Points system to obfuscate price levels and exchange levels, while also having control over bundled denominations (the "left over" points they could collect interest on)
- they failed to keep prices consistent over the lifespan of the 360 between different countries
- they obfuscated the "deals" you could get on so called discounted points by manipulating those points bundles; that was the reason they could offer the "deals" at all
- and now that they've switched back to Real World Money like every other service the obvious holes in the older scheme are revealed, even as they are corrected

The funny part is, UK buyers will be mad because stuff seems to cost more now, whereas Canadian buyers like myself will probably ruefulyl acknowledge that we are no longer being overcharged. Hardly a PR win.

edit - mangochutney up there gets it

What's weird is that Games on Demand that went on sale were always priced a bit lower in Canada than standard (American) pricing to make up for the discrepancy:
- $5/$4.99 Game on Demand is priced at 360 points instead of 400
- $10/$9.99 Game on Demand is priced at 720 points instead of 800
- $20 Game on Demand is priced at 1360 instead of 1600

Note: $20 gets you a 1400 points card in Canada.

Everything else was priced the same as the American marketplace, though (regular priced Games on Demand, and all arcade games and DLC).

And it's weird that no one is complaining about the fact that our converted points now have an expiry date of one year from now. Does no one care? I'm pissed my points will now expire. Giving me an extra dollar or two in the conversion doesn't mean anything to me. That's some anti-consumer bullshit right there. I'd love to see if Quebec will let this happen, seeing as points are paid for, and they have strong consumer protection laws.

Top Bottom