• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Capcom producer Keiji Inafune didn’t see anything new or innovative at E3

zakislam

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/10/45...not-impressed-with-your-wimpy-e3-games-lineup via http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/10/keiji-inafune-didnt-see-anything-new-or-innovative-at-e3-he-says/

Keiji Inafune, the man behind such Capcom classics as Dead Rising and most recently, the PS Vita romp Soul Sacrifice has said he felt this year’s E3 was awash with sequels and touch-ups of old ideas for next-gen consoles.

Speaking with Famitsu, Inafune said of the matter, “I was mostly handling interviews during E3 so I couldn’t get around the show floor that much. But with the quick overview I had, I sadly didn’t see any games this time that I really wanted to try out.

“We’re right at the cusp of new hardware launches, after all, so my impression was that it was nothing but sequels and there aren’t any new titles in the end. With the previous generational shift, too, it seemed like they couldn’t do anything new, and the launch games for the new systems didn’t really seem made for the systems, but were instead previous-gen games made for next-gen systems.

“That’s the state we’re in right now, and to be honest, I didn’t see anything really new and innovative in this year’s title lineup.”

On the PS4 and Xbox One showings, he continued, “Of course, my impression is that they’ve got great capabilities as machines. However, instead of focusing on those capabilities, they’re devoting their time to thinking about how to position the gamer with the hardware, or how to get them playing it.

“The first parties are challenging the game makers here, since it’s their job to make their mission a reality, and both game creators and the gamers themselves are taking up this challenge and looking toward these new types of games. In that way I think they’re both very meaningful platforms.

“Looking at the PS4 and Xbox One, I see very few cases of ‘this platform can do this’ and ‘that one can’t do that’. I doubt many gamers feel that way, either. There are lots of differences in the hardware design and other details, but in terms of differentiating themselves from each other, I don’t feel there are massive differences.”

Brera

Banned
Days of innovation are over.

It's all about having fun now. Appealing IP/Scenario are more important.

Just look at The Order 1666 or Mario 3DWorld and how each has been accepted.

At this point how is someone supposed to "innovate" with hardware or software, everything has been done in one combination or another.
To be fair, I don't think I did either. Except maybe Project Spark?
It's all been done before, being able to "program" and create worlds/games inside of a game.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Didn't try out EVR and the 1080p Oculus Rift then.

Go make something innovative yourself Infaune or shut the fuck up as usual you windbag.

Yeah, what´s up with the innovation meme in videogames?. They must be good and enjoyable. Period. If they get it by a innovative way well then, it could even be some thing to be copied in the future ( and will give up being innovative then... ).

Didn't try out EVR and the 1080p Oculus Rift then.

Go make something innovative yourself Infaune or shut the fuck up as usual you windbag.

Yes, IMHO Oculus Rift will be "the innovation" in videogames. But if someday it is standarized what more do we want?. In the end we will want good and enjoyable games with the Rift, and the Rift will be no more an innovation. Innovation per se must not be a target.

spekkeh

Banned
ibi49o17IjYW2t.gif

I'm down with a 399 dollar indie machine.

Floex

People saying innovative to Titanfall, why exactly? I mean, I thought it looked fantastic but would hardly call it innovative.

Darmik

To be totally fair, he's not that wrong. I remember when I saw Dead Rising for the first time and thought next gen is here and it lived up to my expectations when I played it. There was nothing like it beforehand.

There's nothing that has really matched that moment for me so far. The closest seems to be seamless online gameplay which to be fair is hard to show off the concept in brief trailers and gameplay videos.

I don't doubt that some next gen titles might feel like a revolution once they're in my hands though.

Pooya

If there will be any innovation going forward I think is mostly going to be in setting, world building, world view, narrative, acting and other similar elements, improving quality of those aspects which is more than fine with me. As far as mechanics go, AAA space is quite ubiquitous now, if there is any new element introduced in some game, it's mostly subtle, less obvious things which are copied pretty quickly by every one. Watch out for next Assassin's Creed or Watch_Dogs to feature 3 lead characters and everything :p
There are still handful of studios who bring significant changes to gaming, but not frequently enough.

Koren

Days of innovation are over.

It's all about having fun now. Appealing IP/Scenario are more important.
I'm having fun with innovation/originality :(

I don't really care for scenario, the number of games where the scenario is half as good as a book are awfully few.

Just look at The Order 1666 or Mario 3DWorld and how each has been accepted.
Mario 3D World isn't considered bad (or at least disappointing) by many for its lack of innovation?

That Ninja Gaiden game didn't look very innovative, that's for sure. But nothing new? The Wonderful 101, Octodad, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Rain, Contrast, Puppeteer, Hohokum, The Witness and many others showed a style and gameplay all of their own. And what about Oculus Rift and the games that made use of it, like The Recital? The way games like MGS 5 and The Witcher 3 open up is exicintg to me as well, as is the way SP and MP are melting together in some ways (Watch_Dogs, Destiny, The Division etc.)

And while they may not particularly innovative because they are sequels to games that did stand out, titles like Bayonetta 2 and Dark Souls 2 deserve to be celebrated.

But hey, to each his own. I love what Inafune did with Dead Rising, but perhaps the time has come for him to make something interesting himself?

Come on man, how is this even a question. Innovation occurs naturally and spontaneously as time goes by within our evolving medium. You honestly expect an end all answer on how to magically be able to "innovate"?
I know, all I said was at this point there aren't going to be many new ideas that haven't already been thought of, then I get some smart arse answer asking if I am serious or not so I asked what he would do to innovate and he doesn't have an answer so he can stick his smart arse comments where the sun doesn't shine.

AHA-Lambda

Can't disagree with him too much, even most of the new IP didn't look all that different from stuff that has come before.

Top Bottom