• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Capcom producer Keiji Inafune didn’t see anything new or innovative at E3

patapuf

It's true. Not one thing. Kinda sad. Everything looked like a current gen game with slightly better graphics. Sad times are ahead.

There was the Occulus rift, some of the multiplayer stuff various game do can be great if it works as advertised.

Sure, a lot of it is iterative rather than a completely new concepts. But big budget games with completely unproven concepts are rare. You find that stuff in smaller titles, which are not really visible at E3.

SuppaSapien3

Neo Member
The ideas out in this world and the possibilities to create something new even limited by the consoles specifications are infinite. Don't tell me the age of innovation is gone.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
RPGs, survival horror, "character action" games (DMC, God of War, etc) and fighting games are probably my main genres of choice. It's probably not a big surprise that I prefer the Japanese interpretations of these genres over their Western counterparts, which is part of the reason I'm so bitter and jaded these days.

Don't really care for shooters at all unless they're extremely story-heavy and extremely character-driven, and I'm not a fan of multiplayer games unless the multiplayer is entirely optional and the game is still significantly meaty and long-legged without it.
So the truth comes out. You're not searching for innovation, you just don't like Western games. You want ps2 era style Japamese games? Hey, I love them too, but there's other great stuff out there. Don't act like corridor shooters are the only thing being released by the west.

Japan seems well positioned for this next gen, though, so you might be in luck.

Your complaints are unrelated to innovation, basically.

So the truth comes out. You're not searching for innovation, you just don't like Western games. You want ps2 era style Japamese games? Hey, I love them too, but there's other great stuff out there. Don't act like corridor shooters are the only thing being released by the west.

Japan seems well positioned for this next gen, though, so you might be in luck.

Japan has barely even bothered to show up for next gen so far. Aside from Deep Down, there isn't a single major next-gen Japanese title announced that didn't start out as a PS3 game and get pushed to PS4 later on. I'm really not expecting things to get better on that front.

As for Western games, I don't dislike them as a whole. I dislike the trend of multiplayer being a major focus and shooting being the only way the player can interact with the world. I also dislike first person camera perspective. If there were Western games that catered to my tastes (strong characters, well-written dialogue, emotional storytelling, third-person perspective, responsive controls and battle systems that aren't just "aim for head, hit kill button"), I would gladly play them. I love Uncharted and inFamous.

If there will be any innovation going forward I think is mostly going to be in setting, world building, world view, narrative, acting and other similar elements, improving quality of those aspects which is more than fine with me. As far as mechanics go, AAA space is quite ubiquitous now, if there is any new element introduced in some game, it's mostly subtle, less obvious things which are copied pretty quickly by every one. Watch out for next Assassin's Creed or Watch_Dogs to feature 3 lead characters and everything :p
There are still handful of studios who bring significant changes to gaming, but not frequently enough.

I get the feeling they're still stumbling around using Gen 7 knowledge and restrictions. By the time E3 2015 dawns, the New Style will have hit. No guarentee that AAA will be part of this, though...

AppleMIX

And? Innovation is great and all but I would much rather developers take a idea and do it well.

Innovations comes from the bottom up. Indie games try something and it becomes popular and mainstream games pick up that mechanic.

patapuf

Japan has barely even bothered to show up for next gen so far. Aside from Deep Down, there isn't a single major next-gen Japanese title announced that didn't start out as a PS3 game and get pushed to PS4 later on. I'm really not expecting things to get better on that front.

As for Western games, I don't dislike them as a whole. I dislike the trend of multiplayer being a major focus and shooting being the only way the player can interact with the world. I also dislike first person camera perspective. If there were Western games that catered to my tastes (strong characters, well-written dialogue, emotional storytelling, third-person perspective, responsive controls and battle systems that aren't just "aim for head, hit kill button"), I would gladly play them. I love Uncharted and inFamous.

If Japanese games is really what you are after you might consider picking up handhelds. At least on the RPG front there's no lack of decent japanese games. Survival horror is mostly found on PC nowadays though.

Also, not attack you, but Uncharted and co are precisely the "don't interact with the world besides shooting" games you seem to critisise.

dark10x

Your argument drives me nuts simply because I actually feel the same way you do about mutiplayer games. Trust me, I HATE competitive multiplayer. I do not play it, I do not buy games that focus on it, and I have no interest in getting into it. Despite that, I've found mountains of fantastic games this generation that I have loved.

I mean, what have you played this generation? I feel like you're missing out on a lot of fantastic games here. When you talk about "emotional storytelling" what are you referring to? Which games lead you to feel that way? You need to open up your horizons and give more games a chance. I think the industry is doing better than ever and I never play competitive shooters. The idea that everyone is focused on that type of game is complete nonsense.

As for next-gen I think there are still many games yet to be announced but I feel as if Japanese developers have reached a point where they are more comfortable and familiar with the type of hardware used in these machines. You're losing hope much too quickly, I think.

Either way, innovation doesn't seem to be the thing you're after.

This is the guy whose idea of innovation is TIME LIMITS in video games. No thanks.

It's his fault that I feel stressed all the time when playing the Dead Rising and Lost Planet series.

Thank god DR3 will have a no time limit mode thanks to this being out of the picture.

There are better ways to create tension in game besides time limits, Inafune!

Silky

Banned
If there were Western games that catered to my tastes (strong characters, well-written dialogue, emotional storytelling, third-person perspective, responsive controls and battle systems that aren't just "aim for head, hit kill button"), I would gladly play them. I love Uncharted and inFamous.

...Now, I wouldn't say inFamous has well written dialogue, but different strokes.
Now, I know you played The Last of Us. Can I make a recommendation, if you haven't played it already? Kingdoms of Amalur, if you're into action games like DMC. Granted, the combat is a bit simplistic, but the writing, lore, and overall feel of the game is one of the strongest of this gen.

Kingdoms of Amalur, if you're into action games like DMC. Granted, the combat is a bit simplistic, but the writing, lore, and overall feel of the game is one of the strongest of this gen.

Really? Because as a long time fantasy novel and Salvatore fan, I found it incredibly boring. Too much mystical elf mumbo jumbo.

If Japanese games is really what you are after you might consider picking up handhelds. At least on the RPG front there's no lack of decent japanese games. Survival horror is mostly found on PC nowadays though.

Also, not attack you, but Uncharted and co are precisely the "don't interact with the world besides shooting" games you seem to critisise.

Oh, I've got both a PSV and a 3DS. Picked up Muramasa and X Zone on Tuesday in fact. I generally don't like playing longer games on handhelds though because I don't enjoy straining my eyes to look at a tiny screen for extended periods of time. It's less bad with the Vita because of how huge the screen is, but the 3DS is not a comfortably designed system for extended play. :X

PC survival horror games really don't do anything for me, sadly. Most of them are first person, and most of them rely on jump scares to create tension, whereas I prefer the more "creeping dread" style of horror, like Silent Hill. If there are any good SH-style horror games out on the PC, I might give them a look once my computer is alive again.

Regarding Uncharted, you're absolutely right. But it gets a pass from me because it's just so damn charming. If it was the same gameplay, but they ditched the pulp novel feel and Drake wasn't the protagonist, I'd have zero interest in playing it.

Your argument drives me nuts simply because I actually feel the same way you do about mutiplayer games. Trust me, I HATE competitive multiplayer. I do not play it, I do not buy games that focus on it, and I have no interest in getting into it. Despite that, I've found mountains of fantastic games this generation that I have loved.

I mean, what have you played this generation? I feel like you're missing out on a lot of fantastic games here. When you talk about "emotional storytelling" what are you referring to? Which games lead you to feel that way? You need to open up your horizons and give more games a chance. I think the industry is doing better than ever and I never play competitive shooters. The idea that everyone is focused on that type of game is complete nonsense.

As for next-gen I think there are still many games yet to be announced but I feel as if Japanese developers have reached a point where they are more comfortable and familiar with the type of hardware used in these machines. You're losing hope much too quickly, I think.

Either way, innovation doesn't seem to be the thing you're after.

I've played a lot of games of pretty much every genre and style this gen. One look at my Steam, PSN or Live profiles should show that much. The problem is that I play games to be affected, and most games don't get any response out of me. It's mechanical, it's routine. For every legitimately engrossing story like The Last of Us or Red Dead Redemption, it feels like there's at least 70 "soldier guy is angry and must kill all the bad peoples" games surrounding it.

My big thing is that I really like characters. I love stories about people and I love to see them tested, at their best and at their worst. Games with strong, well-designed protagonists almost always keep my interest a hell of a lot more easily than games with "blank slate" heroes that I'm supposed to imagine myself as.

And while there are definitely a lot of games like that, it feels to me like more developers are interested in immersion than storytelling. And I think what I look for in gaming is the exact opposite of immersion.

...Now, I wouldn't say inFamous has well written dialogue, but different strokes.
Now, I know you played The Last of Us. Can I make a recommendation, if you haven't played it already? Kingdoms of Amalur, if you're into action games like DMC. Granted, the combat is a bit simplistic, but the writing, lore, and overall feel of the game is one of the strongest of this gen.

I have a copy of that game, actually. I never finished it, but I did make a significant amount of progress before I got sidetracked by something else. I forget what it was, though...

Village

Really? Because as a long time fantasy novel and Salvatore fan, I found it incredibly boring. Too much mystical elf mumbo jumbo.

PSSSt.

I would advise just playing DMC4 instead of DmC, you may get far more enjoyment out of that one and a challenge.

Also Amalur is pretty bitchin.

.GqueB.

Banned
I really hate the word "innovative". It's treated as a much larger concept than it actually is and people are latching on to it left and right as some sort of general bench mark.

dark10x

I've played a lot of games of pretty much every genre and style this gen. One look at my Steam, PSN or Live profiles should show that much. The problem is that I play games to be affected, and most games don't get any response out of me. It's mechanical, it's routine. For every legitimately engrossing story like The Last of Us or Red Dead Redemption, it feels like there's at least 70 "soldier guy is angry and must kill all the bad peoples" games surrounding it.

My big thing is that I really like characters. I love stories about people and I love to see them tested, at their best and at their worst. Games with strong, well-designed protagonists almost always keep my interest a hell of a lot more easily than games with "blank slate" heroes that I'm supposed to imagine myself as.

And while there are definitely a lot of games like that, it feels to me like more developers are interested in immersion than storytelling. And I think what I look for in gaming is the exact opposite of immersion.
You do realize that a lot of other people do not come to gaming for story telling, right? That's kind of the complete opposite of what many others in this thread are interested in.

Surely you've played stuff like To the Moon, Lone Survivor, Kentucky Route Zero, Limbo, Bastion, and Dust right? That's the kind of indie stuff that you would probably enjoy. They all do an excellent job telling their stories and offer interesting gameplay to go along with it.

I think you're massively overexagerating the number of "soldier guy is angry" games. Stop for a second and try to list them. There really aren't as many as you seem to think. Some of them happen to be VERY popular but that doesn't mean everyone is making that type of game. Hell, sometimes, you get stuff like Specs Ops The Line which actually kind of spits in the face of that type of scenario while looking rather typical on the surface.

I mean, we have Call of Duty every year, right? Battlefield, Killzone, Gears of War, Resistance, some Tom Clancy stuff maybe, Medal of Honor and perhaps a few attempts out there (like Hour of Victory or Army of Two). When you consider just how many games were made this generation and really look closely you'd see that there really aren't that many of those games out there. There's plenty of shooters but they aren't all these military focused games like you seem to think (especially as of late).

Heck, sometimes things come in packages you'd never expect. Bulletstorm, for instance, told a surprisingly fun story with great characters...which you'd never guess based on the advertisements. It's a shooter, it has angry men, yet it has a sense of fun and great characters along with supremely fun gameplay. I feel like you're getting tripped up by the popularity of Battlefield and Call of Duty and somehow surmising that there are more games of that type than there actually are.

PC survival horror games really don't do anything for me, sadly. Most of them are first person, and most of them rely on jump scares to create tension, whereas I prefer the more "creeping dread" style of horror, like Silent Hill. If there are any good SH-style horror games out on the PC, I might give them a look once my computer is alive again.
Dude, there is nothing like the older Silent Hill games. Those are special games and very few teams could pull that off.

However, I would argue that Amnesia is right up there with bringing the dread. In fact, there is no combat at all in Amnesia and, man, does it rely on creating dread. It is first person, however. What is your issue with that perspective anyways? It's just a different point of view.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
There were a lot of interesting indie games at the show, and Project Spark has potential. I'm surprised that he didn't even check out the Occulus Rift. You can't complain that there's nothing new or innovative at E3 if you're not willing to go out and look for it.

KaiserBecks

This is the guy whose idea of innovation is TIME LIMITS in video games. No thanks.

It's his fault that I feel stressed all the time when playing the Dead Rising and Lost Planet series.

Thank god DR3 will have a no time limit mode thanks to this being out of the picture.

There are better ways to create tension in game besides time limits, Inafune!

Every time I read something like this I can't help but think that creating Dead Rising was like casting pearls before swine. The innovation in Dead Rising is that the world around you progresses on its own, without you having to do anything. You never have to acknowledge those time limits. I can see why Inafune is upset all the time. It must be incredibly frustrating to make games for people who behave like Pavlov's dog every time they see a bar that slowly decreases.

Top Bottom