• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Capcom producer Keiji Inafune didn’t see anything new or innovative at E3

mclem

Yeah, what´s up with the innovation meme in videogames?. They must be good and enjoyable. Period. If they get it by a innovative way well then, it could even be some thing to be copied in the future ( and will give up being innovative then... ).

The problem is that I already have dozens of games that are good and enjoyable in many genres. I'm not seeing anything in familiar genres that I would necessarily regard as *more* enjoyable, and I have a monumental backlog. I have high-quality classic FPSes I've never played; I have no *need* for new ones for quite some time.

To sell a game to me at launch, it needs to do *something* new and original, or I can easily substitute it for content from my backlog in the interim. I've only played one game that I can think of close to its release so far this year and that's Luigi's Mansion 2 - which didn't have a direct equivalent clogging up my backlog. I've recently played RPGs (Cthulhu Saves The World, Star Wars: KOTOR, Deathspank, all from the backlog), FPSes (Far Cry, Halo: Anniversary, both from the backlog), open-world games (Saint's Row 3, from the backlog), adventures (Phoenix Wright, backlog).

Of the upcoming games, the sequel iterations that interest me are Assassin's Creed and Saint's Row. Why? Because I've exhausted their representation in my backlog.

Edit: Should have also mentioned Arkham Origins; once again, largely because I've completed the earlier games in the series and there's not a lot else that quite sates that interest.

And i'm fine with that - I want new worlds to explore, new stories to relive not some gimmicks added to gameplay for the sake of being innovative.

Yeah that's what I thought, you have no answer. Jog on.
To be fair, your original comment and then the question after it that you posed were both stupid things to say/ask. You blatantly said there was nothing left to be done/innovate on.

No one sees innovation coming, the very definition of the word gives it away; it's a new solution to solve requirements/needs.

There's always going to be innovation in the market, as long as companies continue to want to sell new products.

Floex

Have you seen it?

You have to look deep into its soul. You will understand...

Did you see it?

69c.png

With Kinect becoming mandatory for X1 and more impressive techwise, I really expect to see something that just blows my socks off. The way it was used till now is so completely unimaginative and safe, apeing stuff already available for Wii or using the voice controll for mundane one-click actions...

gfdoom

Have to agree with him on this one. everything shown can be done on the current gen consoles, except for the slight bump in graphics. But gameplay wise, we've been there already. Dev's will only being using the power to make gfx look prettier and worlds bigger.( but honeslty, after seeing the GTAV trailer. bigger worlds on next gen won't even be impressive lol)

Alienous

Thats some " Do you develop games? No, so don´t complain about them"- logic you got there.

No, more like some "did you actually look at all the hardware before making a judgement, or did you just look at the PS4 and Xbox One, audibly shout meh, then walk out of E3"

That logic you're talking about would be if' Pie and Beans said "Well, do you make anything new or innovative ... no? Then shut up".

Can't say I disagree. Most boring E3 lineup in years, and one of the most underwhelming next gen lineup as well.

Eh, it's not like anyone should be surprised. Next Gen will be just this gen but with better graphics and framerate.

kmax

I agree with him. The presentations of launch line-ups were lacklustre, but that's to be expected. The show was mainly about presenting the next gen consoles. I'm sure devs are going crazy developing new IP's and established franchises at this very moment, so in terms of games go, the upcoming E3's will have a much better showing.

mclem

I'm pretty sure Inafune is talking in the context of the games, not the hardware. Oculus Rift is glorious, by all accounts, but the games it plays won't actually be different - at least at first. Or is there something coming out that's specifically going to take advantage of the Rift hardware? I'm not quite convinced EVR is it, but we'll see.

TDLink

While he is mostly right, it isn't like he is doing any better with the games he is making/producing right now.

Also, I would say there were at least a few innovations at E3.

The big one that stands out in my mind is The Wonderful 101 with its unique gameplay, but I understand why Inafune might ignore the work of people he may have had disagreements with in the past.

Occulus Rift is also a potentially innovative immersion tool.

Titanfall looks cool but is not innovative at all, though I understand most people who are saying that are just joking around.

He's kind of right, this E3 was a complete waste of time. Just wall to wall demonstrations of "Current Gen +" games. Nothing truly breathtaking or shocking.

He's kind of right, this E3 was a complete waste of time. Just wall to wall demonstrations of "Current Gen +" games. Nothing truly breathtaking or shocking.

You really shouldn't expect more from Next Gen to begin with. The AAA industry is creatively bankrupt, and tries desperately to put new lipstick on a corpse it's been skullfucking for the last 6 years. This years lipstick is called "MMO everything"

An industry that thinks that throwing money at something will solve it's problems, while blaming it's customers for being fed up to take over the costs of an increasingly irresponsible spending frenzy through incessant monetization and homogenization of genres, art styles and creative visions, is not worth supporting.

The only reason I'll buy a PS4 will be for GT and Indie Games that won't come to WiiU/Steam. I've never been more disappointed with a next gen reveal in my life, and it's especially horrible since it was 2 years of straight disappointments, starting with the WiiU unveiling and now the unimaginative and dull PS4/Xbone reveals.

Window

I know, all I said was at this point there aren't going to be many new ideas that haven't already been thought of, then I get some smart arse answer asking if I am serious or not so I asked what he would do to innovate and he doesn't have an answer so he can stick his smart arse comments where the sun doesn't shine.

What an overreaction, his comment was justified because suggesting we cannot expect any innovation in a medium which is only 30 years is rather cynical and perhaps also the wrong conclusion to make. The question whether he (or any one individual) has any recipe for innovation is irrelevent because that's not how innovation happens and him not being able to answer doesn't prove your point.

Teletraan1

Banned
I really doubt you are going to see that in launch games for new platforms. They are just scrambling to get these games out in time on unfamiliar hardware and probably time constraints. This guy is in the industry does he not see further than the end of his nose?

Sushigod7

I thought pretty much the same thing, not that is a issue the last innovation (motion control) was total bullshit and ruined many games with it forced in. So no thanks stop innovating just make great stories and new IP's.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is this REALLY a problem, though?

I find myself still going back to specific games on the strengths of their rock solid gameplay. I'd rather a developer focus on delivering as good a play experience as possible rather than getting stuck on finding innovation.

DedValve

Banned
I know, all I said was at this point there aren't going to be many new ideas that haven't already been thought of, then I get some smart arse answer asking if I am serious or not so I asked what he would do to innovate and he doesn't have an answer so he can stick his smart arse comments where the sun doesn't shine.

someone is certainly antsy today.

There is always room for innovation and for all we know the new Sony game could probably redefine or create an entire genre. But to expect it is also silly especially when you aren't doing anything innovative yourself (referring to Inafune here).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
And what did YOU do lately, Inafune?
Come the hell on, after running Mega Man into the ground and quitting it then producing nothing of value you don't have a say into what's innovative.
Why do people care about this hack anymore? He wasn't even the one that came up with Mega Man.

Come the hell on, after running Mega Man into the ground and quitting it then producing nothing of value you don't have a say into what's innovative.
Why do people care about this hack anymore? He wasn't even the one that came up with Mega Man.

Because Inafune wasn't just involved in Mega Man? And the dude is making some good points?

Marcel

Inafune left precisely because the higher-ups at Capcom were running everything into the ground. I respect a guy who can leave a comfy corporate position to do his own thing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
He's done a hell of a lot more than Megaman, though.

I'd argue that Soul Sacrifice was a solid game as well. Not amazing, but still quite well made. It was a good first effort from his new team.

Top Bottom