• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Capcom producer Keiji Inafune didn’t see anything new or innovative at E3

Marcel

He's done a hell of a lot more than Megaman, though.

I'd argue that Soul Sacrifice was a solid game as well. Not amazing, but still quite well made. It was a good first effort from his new team.

It is a solid game. It's no critical darling, but the presentation, world building, and gameplay mechanics are excellent. It helps that it had a solid localization.

BadWolf

Yeah have to agree, lots of amazing looking games like MGSV, Final Fantasy XV, Infamous SS etc. but not much when it comes to innovation.

Mostly agree. Not much new stuff happening right now.

The idea that everything has been done in games (from people in this thread) is a statement that won't end up being true. 3D gaming has existed for less than 20 years...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah have to agree, lots of amazing looking games like MGSV, Final Fantasy XV, Infamous SS etc. but not much when it comes to innovation.
Again, do you REALLY want innovation? Is that what is most important to you?

Why the constant need for innovation?

Marcel

Genre/franchise fatigue. Innovation as a buzzword/easy talking point is sometimes overstated, but when you get down to it, a new experience that you didn't know you wanted but end up loving is always a good thing.

Umm, because novelty/newness is something that humans enjoy a great deal?

And most game mechanics right now probably aren't perfect and probably could be made even better by some changes.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Pray tell then how is one supposed to innovate...

Your claim that we've run out of options in a vast combinatorial system is absurd. Just because we can't think of something innovative in 5 minutes doesn't mean all possibilities have been exhausted. Innovation is innovation because it surprises us.

dark10x

Umm, because novelty/newness is something that humans enjoy a great deal?
Of course, but surely it's more about the quality of your experience with each game rather than its level of innovation.

I still go back and play certain games from different generations and realize just how well designed their mechanics are. They were no necessarily innovative titles but the way they were built makes for some very satisfying gameplay. For me, that's what is most important. The games I can pick up time and time again years after release are those that really matter and innovation is NOT the key to reaching that level of quality.

That's not to say I don't love innovation when it works, rather, I simply feel it shouldn't be held up as such a singularly important point. It's one approach you can take but it doesn't always make for the best experience in the end. There have been a number of games that I felt were ultimately spoiled by attempts at innovation. Games that could otherwise have been excellent end up tripping over themselves.

Sometimes attempts at innovation even result in trends that actually detract from my enjoyment.

And most game mechanics right now probably aren't perfect and probably could be made even better by some changes.
They aren't perfect but changing them doesn't require "innovation".

Super Mario World was not an innovative game. It was an evolution of concepts created years before. It was based on an innovative idea but it was not innovative itself. The game delivered some of the tightest, most well thought out play mechanics in any platformer ever made and was designed from top to bottom to be a truly excellent game.

I think what's more important is refinement. Look back at the classics and try to improve upon some of those core ideas. Refinement is every bit as important as innovation (if not more so).

Because when every game is a corridor shooter full of "cinematic experiences" with a boring, repetitive multiplayer mode stapled to it, there's no point in playing any of them.

Innovation helps make this shitty industry bearable.

He didnt see that cool ass yaiba trailer?

The gameplay seems to be just hack & slash. It doesn't seem bad, but not innovative at all in terms of gameplay. But yes, that trailer was cool ass indeed.

I don't really want to see Ryu getting sliced up at the end though... I hope at the end of the game Ryu still wins.

Of course, but surely it's more about the quality of your experience with each game rather than its level of innovation.

I still go back and play certain games from different generations and realize just how well designed their mechanics are. They were no necessarily innovative titles but the way they were built makes for some very satisfying gameplay. For me, that's what is most important. The games I can pick up time and time again years after release are those that really matter and innovation is NOT the key to reaching that level of quality.

That's not to say I don't love innovation when it works, rather, I simply feel it shouldn't be held up as such a singularly important point. It's one approach you can take but it doesn't always make for the best experience in the end. There have been a number of games that I felt were ultimately spoiled by attempts at innovation. Games that could otherwise have been excellent end up tripping over themselves.

Sometimes attempts at innovation even result in trends that actually detract from my enjoyment.

I'm interested more in experiencing and seeing new stuff in video games. I want to see/hear/experience surprising sounds, level designs, directing, art, characters. That's a lot of what I like in video games. So, I would like more innovation in gaming. Especially since they probably haven't nailed mechanics perfectly yet.

I think there is decent amounts of innovation happening in the indie/downloadable/whatever you want to call it space and retail games are probably too expensive to try new things, but it still would be nice.

dark10x

Because when every game is a corridor shooter full of "cinematic experiences" with a boring, repetitive multiplayer mode stapled to it, there's no point in playing any of them.

Innovation helps make this shitty industry bearable.
Shitty industry? If you really think "every game" is a corridor shooter then you're ignorant about your hobby. Plain and simple.

Marcel

Shitty industry? If you really think "every game" is a corridor shooter then you're ignorant about your hobby. Plain and simple.

You're right of course. Not every game is a corridor shooter or some other lowest-common denominator equivalent. But we're talking innovation, and the argument could easily be made that in the face of a glut of sequels, rehashes, and games like Ryse, there isn't a lot in the way of innovation.

But looking/asking for innovation is also a fountain of youth quest. You may never find specifically what you're looking for. Being SO intensely cynical about the atmosphere of the game industry could detract from your enjoyment of something that is actually novel or interesting.

dark10x

He doesn't. It just makes it easy for him to spew vitriol if he can reduce the industry down to that.
Honestly, it's really irritating to me to see such things thrown around.

People have become too jaded. There IS innovation EVERYWHERE around us (and yes, a lot of it comes from indies), yet people still act as if there is none to be found. We have seen more innovative ideas this console generation than we ever did back in the 16-bit era. There were new ideas forming back then but there was a much larger collection of games all based on the same basic ideas as well.

The amount of diversity available today is staggering and perhaps greater than it has ever been. The industry is not stagnant or "shitty" these days in any way. If you don't like game X you have loads of other options elsewhere. There really aren't even that many cinematic corridor shooters being released these days, if you sit down and look at the numbers. Even then, some of us actually LOVE well made shooters (which are somewhat less common).

The "every game" part was hyperbole. But I really do think this industry has basically rotted away everything that drew me into it in the first place over the past eight years.

And when the "innovations" I see largely come down to new ways to screw paying customers out of more money for content that should already be included with the original purchase, or new ways to keep customers brainwashed and engaged in the same droning, rote multiplayer experience for months at a time in order to avoid providing meaningful content so the publisher can churn out a yearly sequel?

You're damn right I'm gonna be jaded.

He doesn't. It just makes it easy for him to spew vitriol if he can reduce the industry down to that.

Put simply, the industry hasn't given me much reason to be hopeful.

harSon

Banned
For anyone who has followed Project Spark outside of its initial trailer at e3, they know it's among the most fresh and innovative projects out there right now.

Meh, I don't really give a shit about 'innovation' to be honest. I think expanding on current genres and fine tuning series along with the addition of new IP is just as good.

The Wii, Kinect, and Move were all "innovative" and that led to shitty motion games (sans a few great ones). Innovation isn't always going to create great game experiences.

Give me GTA V, DriveClub, Forza 5, InFAMOUS: SS, Monster Hunter 4, or a variety of different games over some new control scheme or 'way to game'.

Outside of Occulus Rift, I think expanding on the current genres is a better way to spend developer time. I'm sure some things will be born of this generation just like open world and sandbox really took off last gen, so I'm not against innovation ... but I don't want it forced like Kinect or the Wii. I would have greatly enjoyed the Wii had it not been for the motion control. Mario Kart, SMG, Xenoblade ... all could have been with a regular controller (IMO).

But, like any great inventions, you don't know you want/need it until you have it. So it's really tough to say.

I do think that is a stupid statement though, it's a videogame conference, not a TED talk.

The "every game" part was hyperbole. But I really do think this industry has basically rotted away everything that drew me into it in the first place over the past eight years.

And when the "innovations" I see largely come down to new ways to screw paying customers out of more money for content that should already be included with the original purchase, or new ways to keep customers brainwashed and engaged in the same droning, rote multiplayer experience for months at a time in order to avoid providing meaningful content so the publisher can churn out a yearly sequel?

You're damn right I'm gonna be jaded.

Sucks to be you man. I would hate if I looked at this hobby like that. I see awesome games and systems I want to try out NOW and the wait is killing me. Maybe gaming just isn't for you anymore. Not being a dick but that is an extremely cynical way of looking at a hobby that over the last decade has provided more ways, more opportunities, and more selection of games to play. You can play on anything from your phone to your TV and everything with a screen in between. You can pay $0.99 or or up to and over $100. There is a larger variety of games out now that if you are unable to find something to your liking, you either A) aren't looking hard enough, or B) have just lost interest.

dark10x

Seeing as I think we're experiencing more innovation than ever before I think the problem is with you. You're killing your own interest in the industry.

I don't know what games it is you think you want to play but it sounds like you've made up your mind.

The wonder you experienced as a child or teenager will never return and that's NOT the fault of the people making games today. It's something everyone will face eventually with anything they may be interested in.

Marcel

While I agree that content monetization has gotten out of hand, your "brainwashing" and "droning" tack makes you actually seem not only overly jaded in a comedic way, but a reactionary who jumps to hyperbole easily. Let's have the discussion about the lack of innovation/overemphasis on innovation without the theatrics.

Sucks to be you man. I would hate if I looked at this hobby like that. I see awesome games and systems I want to try out NOW and the wait is killing me. Maybe gaming just isn't for you anymore. Not being a dick but that is an extremely cynical way of looking at a hobby that over the last decade has provided more ways, more opportunities, and more selection of games to play. You can play on anything from your phone to your TV and everything with a screen in between. You can pay $0.99 or or up to and over $100. There is a larger variety of games out now that if you are unable to find something to your liking, you either A) aren't looking hard enough, or B) have just lost interest.

I'm glad you have things to look forward to. I really am, and I'm not going to try and take that away from you. But when the kinds of games I enjoy are almost all completely extinct, you can't exactly blame me for lashing out a bit.

Seeing as I think we're experiencing more innovation than ever before I think the problem is with you. You're killing your own interest in the industry.

I don't know what games it is you think you want to play but it sounds like you've made up your mind.

The wonder you experienced as a child or teenager will never return and that's NOT the fault of the people making games today. It's something everyone will face eventually with anything they may be interested in.

It's not really an issue of rekindling the wonder I experienced as a kid - I know that's no going to happen. The main reason I'm jaded and bitter is that I despise competitive multiplayer and I don't like short games. Unfortunately, that's the exact direction the industry has chosen to go for almost every major title these days.

dark10x

It's not really an issue of rekindling the wonder I experienced as a kid - I know that's no going to happen. The main reason I'm jaded and bitter is that I despise competitive multiplayer and I don't like short games. Unfortunately, that's the exact direction the industry has chosen to go for almost every major title these days.
No excuse, man. I also despise competitive multiplayer and spend no time playing such games. There are too many games out there they I want to play despite that.

I don't see what's wrong with short games, though. I feel the focus on trying to make games longer actually hurts them somewhat. Most classic games are short.

No excuse, man. I also despise competitive multiplayer and spend no time playing such games. There are too many games out there they I want to play despite that.

I don't see what's wrong with short games, though. I feel the focus on trying to make games longer actually hurts then somewhat. Most classic games are short.

When your budget for new games is extremely limited - and with game trade-in value basically nonexistent - the last thing you want to do is buy a game and finish it in two days. The longer, the better.

As for having games you want to play, that's great. Unfortunately, I don't. Aside from Second Son and FFXV, there isn't a single game on the next-gen systems that I have any interest in, and that's just a horrifying thought three months away from launch.

besada

Banned
The innovation I most want to see is evolutionary, not revolutionary. We're at a perfect place for the resurgence of the exploratory game. With higher amounts of RAM and access to dedicated servers, there's no good reason we can't have large, explorable universes to tinker around in.

Mrbob

PlanetSmasher, do you have a PC to play games? Some of the best stuff you'll see are coming from indie developers on PC.

Wait to see what the full scope of the F2P and indie market is on PS4. If Sony can attract the same level of indie interest as there is on Steam, this makes PS4 an extremely compelling console.

Also, Inafune is full of shit. Although he probably doesn't even know what the indie market looks like nowadays. Though that's on him for not being knowledgeable on what is out there.

Marcel

Short games? Um, in case you forgot, many games are made to be long in the tooth to counteract whining about "not offering enough value". And since many more franchises are going open world, you can expect pale imitators who will just make a game that is artificially long.

Metal Gear Rising is a perfect example of a game that is just the length it needs to be. No frills, no fat. And since the gameplay is great, it makes for many happy replays.

gconsole

Doing a sequel doesnt mean it is not innovation. I see a lot of new things from FF XV than Yaiba. Sorry to say Inafune.

PlanetSmasher, do you have a PC to play games? Some of the best stuff you'll see are coming from indie developers on PC.

About five months ago, my PC suffered a catastrophic cascade hardware failure that basically obliterated a good chunk of the components in the box, most importantly bricking the motherboard. Won't even boot anymore. A friend of mine gave me a new board to replace the core of the system, but unfortunately it's the wrong shape for my tower and installing it would mean I wouldn't be able to use my graphics card. So at the moment, aside from consoles, I have a seven-year-old MacBook Pro that is constantly in danger of bursting into flames and an iPad.

That being said, I really don't have much interest in the indie scene. Not a big fan of puzzle games or platformers, and there are basically no indie RPGs that aren't half-cocked attempts at mining NES (and rarely, SNES) nostalgia. I've played some of the big indie darlings, but most of them have felt extremely overhyped and left me wanting.

Short games? Um, in case you forgot, many games are made to be long in the tooth to counteract whining about "not offering enough value". And since many more franchises are going open world, you can expect pale imitators who will just make a game that is artificially long.

Metal Gear Rising is a perfect example of a game that is just the length it needs to be. No frills, no fat. And since the gameplay is great, it makes for many happy replays.

I just don't get any enjoyment out of replaying a game just to replay it. Multiple endings and multiple storylines are one thing, but if the experience is the same over and over again it doesn't really do anything for me. Rising was a fun game, but after I finished it on Hard I wasn't really chomping at the bit to do it all over again. Especially since I would be obsessively trying to No Damage run the bosses, and I am not nearly good enough at the game to pull that off.

Silky

Banned
Inafune's too busy riding that Neptunia money train in Japan.

What game is he working on? Yaiba, right? That game looks pretty neat. Sad to see nothing impressed him though

It's true. Not one thing. Kinda sad. Everything looked like a current gen game with slightly better graphics. Sad times are ahead.

I hope Inafune is wrong and there are many unannounced titles coming to prove that but I doubt it. This is going to be an awful gen for anyone who loves more than just sports, racing and shooters. I only enjoy shooters out of that list and I'm already pissed.

I'm glad you have things to look forward to. I really am, and I'm not going to try and take that away from you. But when the kinds of games I enjoy are almost all completely extinct, you can't exactly blame me for lashing out a bit.

If you don't mind me asking. What do you play?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, most of the AAA titles look really stale, from everyone.

Indies is where I'll be putting most of my money going forward.

Kimawolf

Well it's not like he's lying. E3 was largely the same shit with a new coat of sparklies, or in some games case (cough *The Division* cough) trash and crap all over the place cluttering the screen in the name of "immersion". But there was nothing new from anyone, not even Nintendo, which is disappointing. (other than Occulus Rift, but that's PC stuff)

If you don't mind me asking. What do you play?

RPGs, survival horror, "character action" games (DMC, God of War, etc) and fighting games are probably my main genres of choice. It's probably not a big surprise that I prefer the Japanese interpretations of these genres over their Western counterparts, which is part of the reason I'm so bitter and jaded these days.

Don't really care for shooters at all unless they're extremely story-heavy and extremely character-driven, and I'm not a fan of multiplayer games unless the multiplayer is entirely optional and the game is still significantly meaty and long-legged without it.

Mr. X

He ain't wrong.

I think all the games I was interested were a couple of twists on old formulas that were getting PS3/360 ports or in FF15's case, recently moved up to being next gen.

Top Bottom