• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Preview: Traditional Ratchet is back in 'Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus'

Sorc3r3r

I've bought all the "full" games and loved them as usual, in the end R&C is one of my favourite series and i've all the intention to buy this as well.

As for Sony supporting the ps3, i think it's great, it was the same with the ps2, in a lesser way with the ps1 and I'm sure the ps4 will have plenty of game till the end of the cycle and beyond, and as a gamer, a sony console is great investment: now if we speak about supporting their handhelds...

fizzgigg

Banned
It's brilliant. Sure, it might slow down PS4 sales in the short term (although.. does the short term matter? PS4 is sold out!), but it builds something entirely more important: consumer confidence.

Consumers can buy a Sony product secure in the knowledge they will support the system with legit big titles for many, many years, even at the end of its life. This can reverberate and have positive repercussions when customers remember this when they are on the market for a PS4. It's called building good customer relations :)

He is on the right page . It's called business strategy. Remember Sony is a business they're not just your best friends that make/deliver video games for you. Does people understand how many ps3s they sold with just the last of us alone... Probably a big chunk even the people that traded their xbox to buy a ps3 still. They will even sell alot still at the holidays.
Yes the game is 30 dollars I'm not complaining even if the game was only 8 hours I'll still be happy.
I take pride in their strategies I think they're doing a great job.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Ahw yeeeeaaaaah!
Looks incredible. I'm hyped! :)

Acrylic7

I actually am not that keen on the high-tech spacey environments in ACIT. Does UYA have more 'natural' environments?

UYA should be played by everyone sir.

Odd decision putting this on ps3 instead of the ps4, and the price tag is probably going to keep me away. I wasn't satisfied with QFB. Give me a full Ratchet or nothing.

This port begging shit needs to stop.
I'm on PS4 day one, I have zero problem with more PS3 R&C.

No one has a problem with it, its just a weird decision since the ps4 is about to drop with almost zero competition.

shink

I think I'll wait for a PS4 instalment. The price is very tempting though but since I hardly play games on my PS3 it's probably not worth it.

Thrakier

PS4 @30$ (only if stable 60FPS) would be a must have. No way I will play it on PS3 though. Maybe if they were able to somehow fix IQ and framerate, but after seeing Resistane 3, all hope is gone.

Nothing to do with Jak then... can't say I'm not disappointed. That really looked like a rift gate.

I think this is honestly so cheeky of them. "Traditional Ratchet is back!" as if it's some long absence, as if this is the Sonic Generations type game. Crack in Time was only 3-4 years ago. Since then we've had two Ratchet games, one whose only difference was being slightly shorter, and the other that was a new experiment.

zoukka

Yes this is not Fuse or Resistance! Insomniac back where they belong, I hope they stay in this type of games for next gen development.

amr

Banned
PS4 Ratchet would've been cool, but honestly I'm loving Sony's dedication to the PS3.

God of War: Ascension, Sly Cooper 4, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo 6, Beyond: Two Souls. And now this too.

Suzzopher

Very excited about this. ACiT is in my top five for this gen. Not bothered that it is on PS3 as I'll still be using mine regularly despite the PS4.

Hmm a traditional Ratchet by Insomniac for a budget price? I said I was only interested in a PS4 title, but I can't miss this deal. Its still nagging why this is no PS4 game, I wanted to see how good Ratchet graphics could look on the hardware, ACiT is still impressive, it looked like an animated movie at times. I think the franchise will be retired nextgen, and I doubt I would want it over a new 3D platformer.

Groof

This announcement literally made my morning. Been moping for a while about the fact that we'll probably never have a proper R&C game again, but here we go! Though on the flipside, this lowers the chances of a PS4 R&C quite substantially...

Evilisk

I actually am not that keen on the high-tech spacey environments in ACIT. Does UYA have more 'natural' environments?

IIRC UYA had more exotic alien locations than ACiT but there was still some future tech stuff too. I know for sure there's a ton more variety than ACiT, that game had very few 'full' linear levels compared to most R&C games.

Larson

Banned
So exited to play, it looks really good. I love the digital Ratchet and Clanck games.

I cant understand that Sony can release so many games in one year, The Last of Us, God of War, Gran Turismo, Beyond, Puppeteer, Sly Cooper and Killzone, Driveclub, Knack on PS4. Almost every first party developer is doing something.

Looks quite good, I love the Winterizer. The price is also great. Is it a shorter game like Quest for Booty or more in line with the other two Future games?

LAA

Looks great if its a traditional ratchet and clank again! I bet they made that portal look deliberately similar to Jak's portal for a reason....

Am I the only one worried about the $29 price, (As weird as it sounds).
Makes me think this will be just some short game, but guess I cant complain as long as its more good ratchet. Also if it comes to vita very nice! I was hoping to get Full Frontal Assault for Vita, but as it turned out to not be a ratchet and clank I was expecting it to be, I skipped it, but this looks promising...

DieH@rd

Banned
Game looks awesome, price is great, lenght is long.... the only downsize is that Insomniac is not making anything for PS4.

Cesar

Banned
JS, it looks like you guys are using the "old" Ratchet model again instead of the slight redesigned one in A4O and FFA or am I seeing things?

PokéKong

Fantastic! I'm kinda floored by some folks in this thread seemingly completely disinterested simply because of the platform. Why?? We all know by now it would only look marginally better. I'd rather get likely the best and most perfected R&C game yet of this generation than another mediocre "launch window" game.

Fantastic news and great price too.

Also can't help but chuckle at all those comments about how Sony dropped Insomniac and how they were essentially living on life support as a result of Sony dropping them and Fuse bombing.

sn00zer

Fantastic news and great price too.

Also can't help but chuckle at all those comments about how Sony dropped Insomniac and how they were essentially living on life support as a result of Sony dropping them and Fuse bombing.

Especially lol because Sony didnt drop them, they chose to be independent

PaulloDEC

I think I'll wait for a PS4 instalment. The price is very tempting though but since I hardly play games on my PS3 it's probably not worth it.

Isn't that kinda circular thinking though?

I won't buy it on PS3 because I rarely play games on my PS3 because I don't buy games on PS3 because I rarely play games on my PS3 because... *infinite loop*

Skidd

I don't understand. I thought Insomniac would be making a game to coincide with the release of the movie. This is too soon. Are they going to do one for PS4 then?
The film retells their origin story, so don't expect anything new story-wise I guess.

I'm guessing a PS4, $60 game could be in the works already, but won't be out for another 1,5-2 years. They're just putting out Nexus now to set up for a new saga, much like with Q4B to Crack in Time.

Anywho, all you needed to say was traditional Ratchet, and that you did Insomniac. A bummer, it's still on the PS3 but not a deal breaker IF this is the last PS3 Ratchet. :)

Loudninja

Looks quite good, I love the Winterizer. The price is also great. Is it a shorter game like Quest for Booty or more in line with the other two Future games?
Originally Posted by jstevenson

While it's not as big as A Crack in Time, it's much much larger than Q4B or FFA was. It's pretty meaty. New planets, lots of new weapons, lots of variety and stuff to do.

Dragun619

Yea, this looks good. A new story single player R&C game? and it's $30 retail? Well, shit, sign me up.

Also, Insomniac, when I beat this, I hope it'll give me a hint at the future of Ratchet and Clank series cause I see epilogue being mentioned with this title. Ratchet and Sly need to continue to live on at least until Jak returns. hah

televator

On one hand, I REALLY wanted a PS4 R&C game. On the other hand this game looks amazing in the video, and it's $30 bucks. Nexus looks like an instabuy for me.

zoukka

Hmm I wonder if this is 30fps now that they said that 60fps in AciT wasn't worth it. Would explain those crazy scenes with a lot of models and dynamic lights at least... or maybe they just backpedaled :)

televator

Hmm I wonder if this is 30fps now that they said that 60fps in AciT wasn't worth it. Would explain those crazy scenes with a lot of models and dynamic lights at least... or maybe they just backpedaled :)

I'm wondering this as well. I love the distinct look of R&C games and 60fps is a big part of that.

I'm guessing a PS4, $60 game could be in the works already, but won't be out for another 1,5-2 years. They're just putting out Nexus now to set up for a new saga, much like with Q4B to Crack in Time.

Ding-ding. With the movie in the works, I think we'll see a new R&C around that time on PS4, regardless of wether this is Insomniac's swansong or not. I'm excited. I would have saw this as a big digital launch title on the PS4 psn, but I'm amped as is too. It's only really Q-Force I consider a misfire anyway, I actually dug A4O, and CiT is utterly fantastic. Bring it on.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ps3 is the wrong console imo.
Sony should develop no more than 2-3 ps3 games at time and fully support vita and ps4.

About this:
“Everyone would love for it to come to Vita,” Insomniac’s James Stevenson told me, “but it has to be up to the series’ standards” before the company makes any definitive statement.

Lol, what about ratchet and clanck q-force/full frontal assault?

Ugh, my personal pet peeve is still there. Why is Ratchet's walking animation so slow looking? In all PS3 games it looks bit too slow. It looked good on PS2 but not on PS3. It annoys me to death. :s

But yay traditional Ratchet. Only bad thing is that it was sort of hyped up to be sth bit more than just a PS3 R&C game so I can understand dissappointments. Looking forward to this game.

Oh JS, how long has this game been in development? R&C games have been coming out quite quickly lately.

Afrikan

Wow..looks next gen to me. There is just something about the rendering. Are they supporting anything new to their engine?

KKRT00

I'm wondering this as well. I love the distinct look of R&C games and 60fps is a big part of that.

Yes, this is 30fps. At 1:01 explosion it was even 12 fps :p fps is generally quite unstable in this footage.

Dragun619

About this:
“Everyone would love for it to come to Vita,” Insomniac’s James Stevenson told me, “but it has to be up to the series’ standards” before the company makes any definitive statement.

Lol, what about ratchet and clanck q-force/full frontal assault?

I would think because of the poor reception for the FFA vita port, Insomniac doesn't want to deal with another studio to port on the vita.
So If they're gonna do a Vita port, it needs to be Insomniac themselves to do it or maybe Bluepoint games, otherwise I don't think I would really touch it considering how FFA vita port turned out.

Top Bottom