• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Summer 2013 Candy Swap (Registration Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main_Banner_zps00efdcda.jpg

NeoGAF Candy Swap |OT|?

Welcome to the NeoGAF Candy Swap |OT|, THE place to swap Candy. But, why limit it to just Candy when you can swap other sweet things too? I'm talking about Candy, Cookies/Biscuits, Pastries, Chips/Crisps, Soft Drinks, anything.

Of course the purpose is to organize swapping of sweets between NeoGAF members from different countries so that we may all experience the sweets that another has to offer.

If you're interested, continue reading for information on when/how to register, rules, tips and links.

When to register:

• I will post a banner in this thread stating that registrations are open.
  • Registration will run for 3 weeks.
  • After the 3 weeks have passed, I will post another banner stating that registrations are closed.
  • Registration posts outside the banners will not be considered for the current swap.
Who can register:

• NeoGAF Members - Juniors too
  • Acquaintances of NeoGAF members
If a NeoGAF member's acquaintance wishes to be included. The NeoGAF member will post their registration information. The NeoGAF member will be their "sponsor" and will be responsible for ensuring their acquaintance follows through with the swap.

How to register:

During this time, post the following information in the thread:

• NeoGAF username
  • Country of residence
  • 2 countries you would like to swap with
  • Things you like
  • Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to
Pairing:

• The second post in this thread is reserved to list participants/pairs for the current swap.
  • After the Registration Closed banner has been posted, I will begin pairing NeoGAF members.
  • Private Messages will be sent out to members as they are paired with one another. The second post will be updated with pairs.
  • I will pair NeoGAF members based on registration date/time and preference as best as I can.
Eg. Poster 1 is from U.S. and wants to swap with Germany. Poster 2 is from Germany and wants to swap with China. Poster 3 is from Germany and wants to swap with U.S. Posters 1 and 3 would be paired.

I will do my best not to, but as it works out, you may end up sawpping with someone from your own country.

Shipping deadline:

• After pairing is complete, I will post another banner stating the date to which your packages must be shipped by.
  • This date will be 2 weeks from when pairing is complete.
What to send:

• Anything that you and your partner decide, taking into account the following guidelines.
  • No homemade items. For safety. I trust that NeoGAF wouldn't do anything malicious to items sent to another member, but it's better to not allow the chance.
  • Sweets need to be legitimate. Sweets can be from a specialty shop as long as it is packaged properly.
  • The sweets should be packaged properly. Individually wrapped or still sealed from the purchase.
How much to send:

• I suggest a minimum of $20. Anything less and it would most likely cost more than to ship it than the actual contents.
  • I'll leave it up to you and your partner if you wish increase the limit.
Helpful links:

U.S. Postal Service Shipping Calculator
UPS Shipping Calculator
FedEx Shipping Calculator
Canada Post Shipping Calculator

Previous swaps:

Here are some links to the previous swap threads.

March 2008 | June 2008 | February 2009 | July 2009 | August 2010 | July 2011 | November 2011 | September 2012

Media:

As in the previous threads, pictures and videos are welcome in this thread. Unboxing videos as well as reviews of what you've got are also welcome.

TurbulentTurtle / Nyrad 2011
Tea & Toast / Chairhome 2011
Soneet / adamsappel 2010

Special thanks:

I'd like to thank the previous swap organizers, tmaynard, GhaleonEB, pettersson and J. M. Romeo

Happy Swapping!

Participants_Banner_zpsfa722036.jpg

Current Status: Done pairing, PM's sent to everyone.

The shipping deadline to 11:59pm Pacific 8/25/2013. Please have your packages shipped by then.

Pairing Spreadsheet

U.S. & Canada (10 slots, expandable):

1. Bearded Dudebro - USA
2. adamsappel - USA
3. _illmatic_ - USA
4. WinoMcCougarstein - USA
5. Phreaker - USA
6. GhaleonEB - USA
7. adamsappel - USA
8. brighteyedpanic - USA
9. bremon - Canada
10. Jupiter - USA
11. YoYo Switch - USA
12. Cereza - USA
13. Fixed179 - Canada
14. Kitsunebaby - USA
15. Coldplay619 - Canada
16. Coins - USA

Others (No max):

1. Isobelise - Netherlands
2. TurbulentTurtle - Canada (Japan/Hong Kong)
3. Dai101 - Mexico
4. Joseca - Mexico
5. FillerB - Netherlands
6. Paper Fox - Australia
7. Spookie - UK
8. red_13th - Brazil
9. J. M. Romeo - Spain
10. Cyanide Strike - Country: UK
11. pettersson - Germany
12. Mario - New Zealand
13. r3 panda - USA (Mexico)
14. Gav - UK
15. Rory - Netherlands
16. Westraid - Netherlands
17. Worthintendo - Australia
18. Gemüsestäbchen - Germany
19. Kalamoj - Hungary

U.S. & Canada Waiting List:

grego9198 - Canada
ROBOKITTYZILLA (and androidcandy) - USA
Shadow2222 - USA
Skel1ingt0n - USA *Pair with TurbulentTurtle if is off waiting list.
outsidah - USA
898 - USA

Banned:

1. woodsey1982
2. blackwatchplad

Brought over from the old thread.

NeoGAF username: Bearded Dudebro
Country of residence: United States
2 countries you would like to swap with: Germany, Japan
Things you like: Dark Chocolate, Gummies, Packaged Pastries, Sour, Salty
Things you dislike: Black licorice, dried fruit

NeoGAF username: adamsappel
Country of residence: USA
2 countries you would like to swap with: Any, but family has requested Brazil or other South American country (have already traded with Ireland, UK, Australia, Holland, Spain, Germany)
Things you like: Chocolate, local favorites, unusual things.
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: Not a huge fan of sour or hard candies; I like black licorice (even the salted kind), but a little goes a long way.

NeoGAF username: _illmatic_
Country of residence: USA (Louisiana)
2 countries you would like to swap with: Switzerland, Japan
Things you like: I love chocalate, nuts and wierd things. I have a savory palette but I'm open to lots of things.
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: Don't like butterscotch. Not allergic to anything, just don't want anything that I can typically buy in my State/Country.

Username: ChubbyHuggs
Country of residence: U.S.A
2 countries you would like to swap with: Japan and Belgium... If neither is available, I would be open to any place that's not the US after everyone else gets paired.
Things you like: Chocolate, Sour & Fruit flavored candies, Gummies, Soda, Wafer and Rice treats, Pastries
Things you dislike: Black Licorice, Dried Fruits

Isobelise

NeoGAF username: Isobelise
Country of residence: Netherlands
2 countries you would like to swap with: Japan, Brazil, USA (yes that is 3 so many things to try!)
Things you like: Everything! for Brasil I love the Mônica kids cookies with I think it was strawberry flavour on it, I haven't had those in 20 years. And for USA, if you can your hands on the last twinkies, that'd help my curiosity
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: Love everything, open to new tastes. No allergies

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
NeoGAF username: WinoMcCougarstein
Country of residence: U S A
2 countries you would like to swap with: Any Asian country, France/Germany/Belgium
Things you like: chocolate, gummies, sour candy, native specialties
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: nothing, I like everything

NeoGAF username: TurbulentTurtle
Country of residence: Canada (but will be in Hong Kong and can send HK/Japanese candy and sweets if you don't mind waiting an extra week or two)
2 countries you would like to swap with: European countries, Japan
Things you like: Chocolate, gummies
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: Sour stuff, licorice

As stated, if I follow the current anticipated deadline dates, my partner will be receiving Canadian candies. But if whoever I'm swapping with doesn't mind waiting a bit before shipping, I can get Chinese/Japanese stuff, which seems to be more highly sought after.

Phreaker

NeoGAF username: Phreaker
Country of residence: USA (NC)
2 countries you would like to swap with: Japan, England (or other European country)
Things you like: gummies, hard candy, chewy candy, sour candy, dark and milk chocolate, caramel, nuts, black (and other flavored) licorice, violet-flavored candies
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: nothing really, (no bugs) and not a huge fan of too much coconut (mounds).

Tigel

Sweet it's that time of the year again!

NeoGAF username: Tigel
Country of residence: Canada
2 countries you would like to swap with: Japan, Anywhere from Europe (pretty much anywhere except Canada and US will be fine though)
Things you like: gummies, local candies, sour candies, chocolate
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: black licorice and bugs(!). I like and I'm willimg to try every thing else!

Dai101

Banned
Sweet!!!!! (lol) I missed the last one, hopefully i can enter this one.

Username: Dai101
Country of residence: Mexico
2 countries you would like to swap with: North or South America. Last time i (and my partner for sure) paid more in postage than the actual content
Things you like: ANYTHING, except ...
Things you dislike: Most er .... ethnic stuff, you know, chocolate covered insects and stuff like that

See ya!!

GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
USA
France, Italy (basically, European countries)
Dark chocolate (with hazelnuts and/or almonds), gummies/jelly/Haribo candies, milk chocolates, cookies, and surprises. I'm off gluten but my kids/wife can have it.
Allergic: tree nuts. Dislikes: black liquorice, nuts other than almonds, hazelnut and peanut.

Also, bump for those who thought this was last year's thread.

NeoGAF username: adamsappel
2 countries you would like to swap with: Any, but family has requested Brazil or other South American country (have already traded with Ireland, UK, Australia, Holland, Spain, Germany)
Things you like: Chocolate, local favorites, unusual things.
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: Not a huge fan of sour or hard candies; I like black licorice (even the salted kind), but a little goes a long way.

NeoGAF username: brighteyedpanic
2 countries you would like to swap with: Japan, Any
Things you like: unique chocolate, chewy candies, rice pastries, cookies, liquor flavors, botan, fun packaging, wafers, vegan marshmellow, coconut, cherry
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic
to: hard candy, anything with milk, egg, meat flavors or gelatin in it (i'm vegan), peppermint, watermelon, pear

Being paired with another vegan is ideal, but not a requirement. I can have fun either way.

Joseca

Banned
NeoGAF username: Joseca
Country of residence: Mexico
2 countries you would like to swap with: Canada, Japan
Things you like: Chocolate, spicy/sour candy, gummies, I can try almost everything haha
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: Licorice or coconut

Please ban member "blackwatchplad" from the swap. I sent my first candy swap last October and in return I've got nothing.

Have you contacted that member about it? During the last swap both my partner and myself did not receive each other's packages but we both sent it out.
That's just what happens sometimes.

Have you contacted that member about it? During the last swap both my partner and myself did not receive each other's packages but we both sent it out.
That's just what happens sometimes.

Yes, the candy swap was ended in last October and my package reached the member's home around early November. However, the member claimed his/her first package was delivered by USPS and somehow when I asked for delivery reference number, it wasn't given.

When I followed up with the member again, he/she said the package might be lost and promised to deliver again during Christmas as there would be candy sales during that period. I followed up again during new year but no more response from the member. I was very fed up with it and chose not to bother anymore since the issue has been dragged for months.

FillerB

Username: FillerB
Country of residence: the Netherlands
2 countries you would like to swap with: Any Asian country (Taiwan/Japan), USA
Things you like: Everything except
Things you dislike: very sour stuff.

Paper Fox

NeoGAF username: Paper Fox
Country of residence: Australia
2 countries you would like to swap with: Any (except England since we usually have the same stuff, sorry England!). Non-English speaking countries preferred, but not really fussy at all.
Things you like: Chocolate, gummies/jellies, hard candies, cookies
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: Liquorice, anything savoury

Really looking forward to this :)

Spookie

NeoGAF username: Spookie
Country of residence: Wirral, UK
2 countries you would like to swap with: 'MERICA, Canada
Things you like: Everything really, really like peanut sweets though.
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: licorice, anything too hard.

bremon

NeoGAF username: bremon
Country of residence: Canada
2 countries you would like to swap with: Anywhere European, UK especially.
Things you like: Chocolate, gummies, licorice (not dark), cookies, wafers.
Things you dislike: black licorice

Jupiter

NeoGaf Username: Jupiter
Country of residence: US
2 countries you would like to swap with:Anywhere Not US and Mexico
Things you like:I'll try pretty much anything, Gummies
Things you dislike: Licorice

red13th

Yey, I missed the thread last year, won't miss it this time.

NeoGAF username: red_13th
Country of residence: Brazil!
2 countries you would like to swap with: Italy and USA! Any other than Japan or Latin America, really (sweets from these places are generally easy to find in here).
Things you like: chocolate, dark chocolate, cookies, caramel, gummies.
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: raisins, dried fruit, hard candy.

By the way, I never had black liquorice, is it that bad? That's the impression I get from this thread lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alas despite doing the last two years finances are such this summer that I can't justify the approximately $75 between shopping and shipping. Have fun guys, I'll join you again next year.

FillerB

By the way, I never had black liquorice, is it that bad? That's the impression I get from this thread lol

No. Black liquorice is amazing. Only there are so many different kinds that I'm sure people only have tasted those of terrible quality. I pity the people who can't enjoy some good black liquorice for whatever reason.

Darklord

Banned
I was going to enter but decided to check postage first. It's about $55 to send a small parcel to the US and about $75 to Europe from Australia. Is there any other cheap methods than Australia Post(if any aussies know or have done this before)? I can't really spend $80+ on candy. :(

Phreaker

Wow, really? I love it and have had a lot of different types from around the world. However, it does have a very distinct taste and some just don't like it.

Symphonia

Banned
So happy I finally get to do this.

Username: Cyanide Strike
2 countries you would like to swap with: USA, Canada
Things you like: Anything except...
Things you dislike: Dark chocolate and liquorice.

NeoGAF username: _illmatic_
Country of residence: USA (Louisiana)
2 countries you would like to swap with: Switzerland, Japan
Things you like: I love chocalate, nuts and wierd things. I have a savory palette but I'm open to lots of things.
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: Don't like butterscotch. Not allergic to anything, just don't want anything that I can typically buy in my State/Country.

NeoGAF username: YoYo Switch
2 Countries I'd like to swap with: Japan, Sweden

Things I like: Chocolate. Nuts. Anything weird or bizarre I've never had before.
Things I don't like: Black Licorice but i'll have it anyway just to taste how nasty it is :)

This is awesome! Thanks again dudebro

I'm in as well =)

NeoGAF username: pettersson
Country of residence: Germany
Like to swap with: USA, Canada
Things I like: everything, especially peanut butter
Things I don't like: nothing

=)

Cereza

NeoGAF username: Cereza
2 countries you would like to swap with: 'Murica (Fuck yeah!), Anywhere
Things you like: I like the following textures and flavors: gummy, chewy, hard, cakey, artificial watermelon flavor (seriously it tastes nothing like watermelon), black licorice, liqeur, white chocolate, orange chocolate, fish products, and gimmicky cracker/pretzel snacks
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: Not an allergy, but I can't eat straight milk/dark/brown chocolate due to having overdosed on the stuff years ago and developing a distaste for it.

Edit: Oh gawd, no BUGS! xD

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
E: I'm editing out for the time being. After we get some house repairs done, I may be back in. Just had an unexpected expense pop up this morning. Woops.

Chairhome

Cool, my video is in the OP :-D

I would love to do this again, but I'm affected by the gov't furlough, so I should probably abstain. Its a great experience though, I would recommend it to everyone who has the funds for it. I probably spent $80 altogether after shipping. Shipping is no joke! But totally worth it.

Fixed1979

Nice, after doing one a couple years back I've been missing these. I'm in.

• NeoGAF Username: Fixed179
• Country of residence: Canada
• Like to swap with: Anywhere outside of NA
• Things I like: Gummies and chocolate and anything outside of the box.
• Things I don't like: I don't think there's much of anything.

NeoGAF Username: Kitsunebaby
Like to swap with: Any country
Things I like: Lollipops, chocolate, fudge, gummies, hard candy, fruit flavored candy
Things I don't like: Jellybeans, insects, anything banana or melon flavored

I'm up for most any country but I swapped with Netherlands last time so I'd like something new.

endre

Two questions:

1. If I understood correctly, the Candy Swap is now open indefinitely?

2. Does anybody have a rough guess what does it cost to send a package from Austria to USA?

This looks awesome, however I don't have lot of disposable income at the moment to spend on shipping cost. Is it possible to be paired with someone from the US if you're also in the US?

Canada may be a possibility for me as well, but I'll have to look further into shipping cost.

FillerB

2. Does anybody have a rough guess what does it cost to send a package from Austria to USA?

Really roughly guessed as I'm assuming that there won't be that much difference between the Austrian and the Dutch postal services when it comes to shipping to the US: between 20 and 40€ depending on weight and tracking options.

Gustav

Banned
Two questions:

1. If I understood correctly, the Candy Swap is now open indefinitely?

Paid 40€ from Germany to US the year before last.

This looks awesome, however I don't have lot of disposable income at the moment to spend on shipping cost. Is it possible to be paired with someone from the US if you're also in the US?

Canada may be a possibility for me as well, but I'll have to look further into shipping cost.

I try not to pair people from the same country as the purpose is to trade with someone to get something different. Hopefully we'd get someone else who doesn't mind being paired with someone in the USA also. But yeah, I can pair you with someone in the US if I end up with an odd number.

Post what region of the USA you're in, maybe I can at least pair with someone of a different part of USA.

endre

that answers 1

2, ask the local post office :p

Ok, I was thrown off by this:

Furthermore, I have the bandwidth to maintain this thread so that swaps can happen on a regular basis.

I really want to participate, but I also wish to include candies from Serbia,some from Hungary and maybe even from Bosnia. Guess I will wait for the autumn candy swap.

Really roughly guessed as I'm assuming that there won't be that much difference between the Austrian and the Dutch postal services when it comes to shipping to the US: between 20 and 40€ depending on weight and tracking options.

Paid 40€ from Germany to US the year before last.

TY guys! Did you use regular post or went with fedex, dhl...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom