• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft asked Criterion to develop Burnout for Kinect

jiT18CH2sDxWa.png

https://twitter.com/AlexanderJWard

I remember that demo where they showed Paradise running with Kinect. Not having any control of the accelerator or brake seemed like a really bad idea, even back then.

MS had a tech demo of Kinect (I think it was called Natal at the time) being used to control Burnout Paradise at one point. I wonder who made that demo.

Edit: beaten 5 or 6 times damn lol

Hoo-doo

Banned
As if games like that are even playable with the tremendous input lag you get with Kinect.
Would have been a waste of resources.

Doesn't Forza with Kinect control like a glorified mobile racer? Or am I wrong about that? Either way, I'm glad they declined. I loved Hot Pursuit.

I can't imagine this working well at all. Having no control over the speed in a Burnout game, especially Paradise, would be terrible. You'd be crashing every 5 seconds.

Massa

MS had a tech demo of Kinect (I think it was called Natal at the time) being used to control Burnout Paradise at one point. I wonder who made that demo.

From what I remember Microsoft did, they used an OS layer to emulate the 360 controller.

Alx

I remember that demo where they showed Paradise running with Kinect. Not having any control of the accelerator or brake seemed like a really bad idea, even back then.

They did have a command for those, you moved your foot forward to accelerate and backwards to brake. It was a very simple demo though, I think they improvised it in a few days. And using a kinect to replace a wheel is definitely not a good idea anyway.

Kemal86

If memory serves, Burnout Paradise Kinect was the demo that did not work at all of N'gai Croal, which started the whole "Does Kinect not work for black people?" kerfuffle.

They did have a command for those, you moved your foot forward to accelerate and backwards to brake. It was a very simple demo though, I think they improvised it in a few days. And using a kinect to replace a wheel is definitely not a good idea anyway.
I completely forgot about that. But yeah, thinking back on it now, you're right.

Megatron

And this is why I'm glad the move isn't bundled into the PS4. No turning good games into crappy motion control experiences simply to justify the accessory they forced people into buying.

Under the new EA I don't think a Burnout will get made. Making NFS is a poison pill, you get a larger bonus for increased sales.. but to make anything else going forward is a hard argument.

FyreWulff

From what I remember Microsoft did, they used an OS layer to emulate the 360 controller.

That was back when the Kinect had another co-processor in it to handle tracking.

MS decided to save some money and dropped the co-processor and moved what it did into software on the 360 itself, preventing Kinect from being used/patched into existing games that didn't budget for Kinect overhead in the first place.

I think the Windows Kinect sensor that has all that restored debuted for 250$.

bmdubya

Neo Member
Under the new EA I don't think a Burnout will get made. Making NFS is a poison pill, you get a larger bonus for increased sales.. but to make anything else going forward is a hard argument.

I'd love to see Burnout on a next-gen system, with millions of particles flying through the air and realistic body damage to cars. It would be incredible.

I just want to know what Criterion is working on now.
65 employees are working on NFS Rivals but I wonder what
the rest are doing. Alex said he wants to do something different. I wonder
if they would make an exclusive deal– they love Sony
hardware.

Alx

Are you a microsoft employee? because she was trying to avoid hitting the side of the road.

... by turning her back to the camera, which makes it even harder (and then impossible) for the camera to see her hands.
You don't need to be "a Microsoft employee" to see what happened there. First the Burnout demo was obviously very simple, and didn't have an advanced tracking of the hands. It assumed that the left hand is on the left, and the righ hand is on the right. That's why the controls get confusing (actually inverted) at the very moment she crosses her hands (something you shouldn't be doing while driving by the way ;) ).
That part was a flaw (or rather limitation) of the demo. Then once she felt she wasn't in control, she just panicked and thought she could steer harder by turning her body, which only made things worse.

See, observation and logics.

Top Bottom