• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, they didn't put the multiplayer on disc 2 and just have the singleplayer on another? I guess that's to try to prevent people from trading just one of the modes in, but I can't really see that working...

DesertFox

Game is two discs on 360. Wat?

Interesting

Disc 2 contains HD texture pack for install, no word yet if part 2 of campaign also will be installed so you can play using disc 1 only.
Ugh next gen is needed badly. Nearly every 360 release comes on 2 discs now

Maybe Ironside was just asking for a bigger paycheck, and Ubisoft were like "nah, we got this young dude to replace you! Now get the fuck out of this franchise that you helped define in some way!"

I remember seeing an interview with him back when Conviction came out and he said that at first he actually wasn't going to do it after being asked because of what he thought was "mindless violence". He eventually came on board after some sort of changes. Maybe this time with Blacklist he just didn't want to do it again.

I'd much rather just download this thing than buy a two disk version. Any chance of it being day one on Xbox GamesOnDemand? Pretty sure it's on PSN (just checked, it is on PSN).

danielcw

Still no sign of Uplay or internet requirement on the Steam Storepage

Do we want to create a steam group?
Or is there already one?

Sober

Still no sign of Uplay or internet requirement on the Steam Storepage

Do we want to create a steam group?
Or is there already one?
There is so a UPlay requirement for this game, they just forget to mention it.

I mean the game comes directly from an Ubisoft studio, they are not just gonna ditch it even if this isn't necessarily a tentpole release (well for August I guess it is).

This is gonna play out the same way that Arkham City on Steam did, where we thought GFWL wasn't going to be in the Steam one, but it did.

FrsDvl

Okay decided to buy it on Steam, why not. For some reason it wouldn't let me on my current account so had to make a new account...

If anyone want's to add me my steam id is: markstinkspoo
i've played a LOT of Spies vs Merc back when PT came out, so i'll be playing lots of it in Blacklist as well. Also up for Co-Op.

5004162.jpg

12 GB install on the PS3 version, holy hell.

Rolfgang

I heard the 360 version comes in 2 discs, is that correct? if so, is one the SP campaign and the other one the MP?

One disc is for the game, the other for the HD texture pack. The modes can't be seperated on two discs, since they are implemented in the story (just like co-op).

One disc is for the game, the other for the HD texture pack. The modes can't be seperated on two discs, since they are implemented in the story (just like co-op).
Actually Disc 1 contains the first part of the campaign and the multi-player modes, while the second disc has the HD textures as well as the second half of the campaign.

Gaz_RB

Damn, just read some reviews and it sounds like the new guy is pretty boring compared to Ironside. Was hoping he could carve out his own Fisher that I'd actually like but he seems just like another Clancy generic military guy. Still looking forward to the gameplay though, and interested in where they take the story after Conviction.

DrBo42

There is so a UPlay requirement for this game, they just forget to mention it.

I mean the game comes directly from an Ubisoft studio, they are not just gonna ditch it even if this isn't necessarily a tentpole release (well for August I guess it is).

This is gonna play out the same way that Arkham City on Steam did, where we thought GFWL wasn't going to be in the Steam one, but it did.

There are already actions and rewards listed on Uplay for the game so anyone thinking it's not included is in denial. Unless they completely shutdown the service it will never be removed from any worthwhile title they launch.

Gbraga

I actually just played through the series and I really liked Conviction's story. Wrapped up Ironside's story really well, on to the new guy.

I think Conviction's story is pretty terrible too, but it's definitely the best one in the series imo. I don't get why people shit on Conviction's story when they never did for the previous games.

I think Conviction's story is pretty terrible too, but it's definitely the best one in the series imo. I don't get why people shit on Conviction's story when they never did for the previous games.

The previous games before Double Agent didn't even try. Although this moment in Chaos Theory was pretty badass:
iNU92FV1Vhhp4.gif

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Oh wow didn't know the game had HD pack. Anyone do a comprison shot with it installed and without.

DrBo42

I hate you. You've just made me commit to buying the original game.

What's the consensuses on the PC version guys? Hovering over the add to card button right now, on Steam.

Most likely going to be the best version since the 360 version tears. Has any review been based on or mentioned PS3 code?

haikira

Most likely going to be the best version since the 360 version tears. Has any review been based on or mentioned PS3 code?

I'm talking about the original game. My bad, as this probably isn't the right place for it.

The PC is my platform of choice for Blacklist though. Already preordred on steam. =D

Sober

Because it wasn't Sam Fisher in ops suit with goggles and someone jabbering on with Tom Clancyisms in his ear the whole time, that's why. The fans want the same rote excuse to enable globe hopping 'Murica-isms, and don't actually care so much about Sam Fisher as a character other than his black humour and morbid quips. So that's what they get (or try to aim for) and unfortunately:

1) it is number 6 of a long running franchise so that excuse/"return to form" will obviously get stale (not to mention it is just another drop in the bucket of other Tom Clancy titles)

and

2) it happened to release in a year with Bioshock Infinite and TLOU (even if the general sentiment of say, BSI went the other way), so of course it is going to stick out like a sore thumb because it isn't anything else. If Conviction's plot came out this year I don't think it would've drawn so much ire amongst the press - maybe passed under the radar - but if you want to keep the fans happy, you have to go against the grain of the industry and go with the grain elsewhere (with providing the shoddiest Tom Clancy of an excuse to have a game).

legacyzero

Banned

I thought Convictions SINGLE PLAYER was pretty good.

It's the fact that they removed Spies Versus Mercenaries for what-the-fuck-ever reason and replaced it with the bullshit that they did, that pissed me off about the game.

Grisby

This is a very fair point, actually. The cutscenes were really a waste of money though, did anyone actually enjoyed them?
If you're talking about Conviction then yeah, I enjoyed them. In fact I think they are still some of the best cutscenes in a game I've seen. Not so much for the story but the way the camera almost seem to move in and out of the scenes. That, with Sam's thoughts and objectives written on the walls made for a really cool presentation.

DrBo42

If you're talking about Conviction then yeah, I enjoyed them. In fact I think they are still some of the best cutscenes in a game I've seen. Not so much for the story but the way the camera almost seem to move in and out of the scenes. That, with Sam's thoughts and objectives written on the walls made for a really cool presentation.

I like it as an objective description, hate it as an insight to his already transparent thoughts. I also wish it would briefly appear and then go away instead of being an actual objective marker. I laugh every time I get to that part where Grim puts Sarah on the line during the Whitebox mission and then immediately cuts her off. Wall highlights as follows: GRIM. SARAH. ANGER. It's just bad.

RS4-

God bless Flea Markets.

Anyway, like others have said, 360 does indeed have two discs and the campaign is split across both. The HD textures are uhh, 3GBs I believe?

I don't remember the install sizes for PS3.

Until I put two monitors side by side, I can't give you one of those DF type of comparisons. There is screen tearing in both, load times are OK I guess. There's split screen for the 4E missions, didn't explore that too much. Did half the game on Professionalism mode, the AI is...well, at least its fucking better than Payday 2. A lot of random trial and error if you're going for Ghost ranks. Half the time it's bullshit with the AI suddenly being alerted by you for no reason, as if it went completely out of its routine just to make you restart.

I can't say for sure if the difficulties add more enemies or just restricts you from using specific goggle modes, like sonar, xray, etc. Since I'm playing stealth, I haven't bothered firing my gun since the intro mission, unless I'm taking out some lights. But the whole mark and execute thing is still there.

Grisby

I like it as an objective description, hate it as an insight to his already transparent thoughts. I also wish it would briefly appear and then go away instead of being an actual objective marker. I laugh every time I get to that part where Grim puts Sarah on the line during the Whitebox mission and then immediately cuts her off. Wall highlights as follows: GRIM. SARAH. ANGER. It's just bad.
Eh, I thought it was neat. On another note/random thought, I feel Conviction's cutscenes do what Max Payne 3's wanted to do, in that it added a visual overlay that helped with the scenes taking place and not detracted from it.

DrBo42

God bless Flea Markets.

Anyway, like others have said, 360 does indeed have two discs and the campaign is split across both. The HD textures are uhh, 3GBs I believe?

I don't remember the install sizes for PS3.

Until I put two monitors side by side, I can't give you one of those DF type of comparisons. There is screen tearing in both, load times are OK I guess. There's split screen for the 4E missions, didn't explore that too much. Did half the game on Professionalism mode, the AI is...well, at least its fucking better than Payday 2. A lot of random trial and error if you're going for Ghost ranks. Half the time it's bullshit with the AI suddenly being alerted by you for no reason, as if it went completely out of its routine just to make you restart.

I can't say for sure if the difficulties add more enemies or just restricts you from using specific goggle modes, like sonar, xray, etc. Since I'm playing stealth, I haven't bothered firing my gun since the intro mission, unless I'm taking out some lights. But the whole mark and execute thing is still there.

On perfectionist I believe marking is still there but the execute function should not be. Could you confirm?

Would you say perfectionist AI is just frustrating or more like the classic games with harsher detection rates? There's no sound meter with this one but it is definitely a factor. They'll also react to anything they notice has been interacted with ex. windows and doors.

RS4-

On perfectionist I believe marking is still there but the execute function should not be. Could you confirm?

Would you say perfectionist AI is just frustrating or more like the classic games with harsher detection rates? There's no sound meter with this one but it is definitely a factor. They'll also react to anything they notice has been interacted with ex. windows and doors.

I'll boot up later to make sure. But I'm definitely sure that the option is still there if needed. It's just the goggle stuff that hasn't worked for me so far, since it tells you when you try to enable it.

So, if anyone else is going for the hardest difficulty, don't upgrade goggles.

re: AI, I think it's just frustrating. The detection is and isnt' lenient. Sometimes you'll get away with crouch walking in broad daylight, AI won't notice. They don't always investigate either. Which actually reminds me, in the last SC you leave a shadow right, to show where AI last spotted you? I haven't noticed it in this. I don't know if that's because of the difficulty, it isn't as obvious or because I stick and move asap.

Checkpoints aren't bad. So that takes some of the frustration out.

edit - If I can't take it anymore, I'll just go guns blazing and finish the game that way lol.

DrBo42

I'll boot up later to make sure. But I'm definitely sure that the option is still there if needed. It's just the goggle stuff that hasn't worked for me so far, since it tells you when you try to enable it.

So, if anyone else is going for the hardest difficulty, don't upgrade goggles.

re: AI, I think it's just frustrating. The detection is and isnt' lenient. Sometimes you'll get away with crouch walking in broad daylight, AI won't notice. They don't always investigate either. Which actually reminds me, in the last SC you leave a shadow right, to show where AI last spotted you? I haven't noticed it in this. I don't know if that's because of the difficulty, it isn't as obvious or because I stick and move asap.

Checkpoints aren't bad. So that takes some of the frustration out.

edit - If I can't take it anymore, I'll just go guns blazing and finish the game that way lol.

It's definitely due to difficulty. Not sure if Last Known Position is disabled in that difficulty or if just the marker is. From your impressions I get the feeling that ghosting comes off more as a pain in the ass rather than a joy to pull off.

Gbraga

Nah, talking about the previous ones. I couldn't stand even one Chaos Theory cutscene.

I really like the objectives on the walls thing too.

RS4-

It's definitely due to difficulty. Not sure if Last Known Position is disabled in that difficulty or if just the marker is. From your impressions I get the feeling that ghosting comes off more as a pain in the ass rather than a joy to pull off.

you're right, can't execute on perfectionist.

I haven't anticipated a game this badly since freaking deus ex hr.

I love and hate this feeling but its nice to know I'm not so cynical that I can't feel it anymore.

DrBo42

Without all the forced gunplay it would've been a hell of a lot better.

I have a feeling this one will be pretty good. Is there anything like Deniable Ops that we can replay?

Edit: Well, I'm sure the co-op missions can be replayed but why can't I have something with dynamic spawns?

Top Bottom