• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK tabloid press this morning - "Driven to Kill by Call of Duty" [IMAGE INSIDE]

mocoworm

Just took this photo in the local shop. This message is in the UK tabloids this morning.

Madness.

Ignore the nipple tassels :)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/washington-navy-yard-gunman-aaron-2280976

equMB5E.png

ymmv

Banned
Let's disregard the fact the guy was hearing voices in his head and was never treated for that.

I'm so used to US newspapers/media using the most unflattering pictures of the criminal as possible that that picture of the dude smiling in the bottom corner completely caught me off guard.

Dimefan3

Because it's absolutely not because of America's lack of gun control.

And it's definitely not because of a lapse of Security at the Naval base.

And don't even think of blaming this on the fact he apparently already had mental issues to begin with.

This is just lazy journalism at its best.

SJRB

Gold Member
The media scapegoating videogames is the easy way out. There's no individual you can blame, there's nothing that can be changed. It's an easy target to direct their pseudo-outrage towards for a day and then move on.

Would be refreshing if some of the media would look beyond someone's pasttime hobbies and take a gander at.. o I don't know, gun laws for example. Or mental health that was insufficiently addressed.

These type of headlines really get me worked up.Forget the ease of having access to guns and possible mental illness, lets just blame it on computer games.

Garibaldi

I'm just glad I don't play COD. How you other MILLIONS of people that do, how do you resist the completely overwhelming urge to go out and kill?

Anyway back to FIFA, I'm gonna be playing for Madrid come January with Bale at this rate

mclem

Basic rule of understanding journalism: If a tabloid newspaper headline ends with a question mark, the answer is 'no'.

mocoworm

It's a shitty tabloid.

>tabloid - Aaand we are done here.

The Daily Mirror alone has an average daily circulation of 1,058,488 acc to Wikipedia. This is all over the others as well. It may be a shitty tabloid but it's readership along with the others makes up the majority of the newspapers sold in the UK.

This message being fed to so many ppl, many being working class families and parents, is crazy.

SaucyJack

Because it's absolutely not because of America's lack of gun control.

And it's definitely not because of a lapse of Security at the Naval base.

And don't even think of blaming this on the fact he apparently already had mental issues to begin with.

This is just lazy journalism at its best.

So much this.

It's as if someone can learn to shoot for real just by playing video games because with a real gun you just aim with one thumb and shoot with the other. And, of course, you get a real gun with real ammo free with your copy of COD.

Robin64

Yeah, it's a tabloid, but lots of people see this and many of them even believe the shit they read. That fact that he was mentally ill and had past offences will not be as big a factor now in their minds as the fact he played CoD.

-_- really? the british press are disgusting! turning a tragedy to their political agenda against video games!

The guy was in the Army and trained in real warefare, he probably laughed at Call of Duty's "realism"
not to mention;
* he had known anger problems he attributed to his time in New York during 9/11
* he had several incidents with gun violence in the past stemming back to 2006

this tells me he is already a trained killer with mental issues, the problem as i see it lies with how the hell he retained a firearms license NOT with his social habits.

Last night i played GTA5 then went out, during my trip out I DIDN'T; Kill prostitutes, run heists, steal cars etc

i'm sick of society not taking responsibility, before society blamed books for its ills, then music, then the aristocracy, then music, then motion pictures, then violent films, rock and Roll etc etc etc

Yeah, but then you take into account the words "Smiling Maniac" next to it...

But it's not even a crazy smile, dude just looks so happy. I started laughing as soon as I noticed him in the corner.

Edit: Guess it also helps that I didn't recognize the guy and thought it was just some unrelated story.

cormack12

Gold Member
Bold statement with a get-out question mark on the end. To be honest the media should be more regulated. These shouldn't even be considered 'news'. The only thing that separates them from crap like 'Heat' and 'OK' is the type of paper they are printed on.

[sarcasm]I bet there is a full editorial backed up by years of research (by credible sources) that lends weight to the headline. Oh wait.....[/sarcasm]

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's a nipple tassel?

the stuff burlesque dancers would wear. like a tiny party hat with tassles. it apparently allows you to be modest(!) because you aren't completely showing your boobs. plus you can swing them in circles

Top Bottom