• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announced Blade Fantasia - New fantasy RPG by the Breath of Fire creator

ccbfan

I'm excited for this (Hopefully they localize it)

I like having games on a device I have with me at all the time. (Sorry 3DS but at this stage you're as portable to me as a PS3) The quicker they start putting full experiences on mobiles the better.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
At first, I was like ERMAHGHAD! CUM IN PANTZ NOW

And then I saw iOS - DUUUUCCCCCKKKKTRRROOOOOLLLLLL!

The only time I want to have to use ios is when the network is down.

I thought it was bad last gen with almost all of the decent JRPGs being on handhelds, I'd take it ten gens in a row before this.

Trickster

Blade Fantasia sounds like a generic as fuck mobile game.

How people are still surprised that a thread about a new capcom game means anything but a new mobile game is beyond me.

JDSN

Banned
*Sees title*
*Sees user name*
*Rolls eyes*
*Notices no "Lol for mobile" in the first line*
*Reads info, no console shows, excite accumulating*
*Sees kicksass art, no console annoucement yet, hype in overdrive*
*Sees random spoiler texts, already expecting a nextgen console annoucement*

Fuck you, duckroll.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Still don't understand why people get so upset about IOS announcements.

Because there's a precedent for phone games to be filled to the rim with microtransactions, lacking in ambitiousness, lacking in content, etc. FF Dimensions is decent albeit uninspired, Chaos Rings is OK but I've certainly played much better RPGs on traditional handhelds (hell I'd rather play FF Legend 2 than nearly every cellphone RPG release).

RPGs used to be some of the most ambitious games in the whole industry, and I feel that the paradigms of mobile phone platforms really constrain them. People not willing to spend more than a few bucks on games means - shorter games, lots of repetitive combat (good for people who are into grindy games but I want the "whole package" RPG - exploration, a bit of a narrative, quality combat and character development systems), and/or microtransactions. If we got standardized controllers for mobile platforms, and games started to have the scope of traditional console/handheld titles I wouldn't have a problem, but mobile games are no where near there at the moment, and have no inclination to get out of the microtransaction ghetto.

RedSwirl

Well, for the Japanese market, the following is worth considering:

Japanese Mobile Game Industry 2012:
  • $5.1 Billion Total
  • $2.7 Billion Smartphone Games (this grew 5.4 times higher than 2011)
  • $2.4 Billion Feature Phone Games
Japanese Traditional Game Industry 2012 (Software + Hardware):
  • $4.6 Billion Total
  • $2.8 Billion Software
  • $1.8 Billion Hardware
Mobile games are cheap to make, and the market is experiencing gigantic explosive growth, and it's larger than all Japanese console + handheld sales across both hardware and software combined, so making a lot of bets seems worthwhile.

The potential userbase is also astronomical, so finding an audience is potentially easier, especially when your costs aren't that high in the first place.

I don't have a problem with iOS in and of itself. Apple's mobile hardware is definitely more than capable of supporting good, traditional video games, even with the touch screen (and even more so now that Apple released a universal controller API). I just don't like what most iOS games have become.

I don't even hate F2P in and of itself. There are good, interesting traditional games that just happen to run on monetization schemes like DOTA 2, LoL, Hawken, PlanetSide 2, or Path of Exile. I just hate that the majority of them look like uninspired, exploitative crap. It's because of this that when people hear "iOS," that's what they assume they'll get.

It's like the audience's acceptance of these games (people not familiar with traditional games) has brought the evolution of game design all the way back down to where we were during the 70's before the 1983 crash. There are signs this sphere of gaming is starting to evolve, but I feel like it's going to be a slow, painful process.

I just hope that eventually some developers have the balls to release premium games on iOS (like XCOM) for people willing to pay premium price for a real product. It may not even be a particularly large market compared to the rest of the mobile ecosystem but it should still exist.

Definitely buying this. It's funny, but iOS is slowly but surely becoming a platform that, for better or worse, is kind of feeling exactly like gaming when it was still in its infant stages, and it just keeps getting better.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
To everyone on Neogaf reading this thread:

4b3.jpg

Shengar

I just hope that eventually some developers have the balls to release premium games on iOS (like XCOM) for people willing to pay premium price for a real product. It may not even be a particularly large market compared to the rest of the mobile ecosystem but it should still exist.
The reality is that big publisher like Capcom aren't targeting their mobile games to these premium market consumer. What they targeting is the bulk of mobile market, that is those who used to freemium model or overly cheap made game. Last, we must remember that Japanese mobile games are designed to be played on short burst, to fit with commute culture in Japan. This is why I will keep my scepticism over any Japanese mobile game announcement.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What's the name of the artist from BoF and this?

RedSwirl

The reality is that big publisher like Capcom aren't targeting their mobile games to these premium market consumer. What they targeting is the bulk of mobile market, that is those who used to freemium model or overly cheap made game. Last, we must remember that Japanese mobile games are designed to be played on short burst, to fit with commute culture in Japan. This is why I will keep my scepticism over any Japanese mobile game announcement.

But the problem comes when they start making this stuff instead of traditional games, not in addition to them.

I look at the art, and I look at it again, I look at the people involved, and I think to myself...

"Shouldn't THIS Breath of Fire 6?"

And then I remember "Capcpom"

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well... at least this has a better chance of hitting the west than Last Ranker. ;_;

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's actually more sad that I didn't fall for it this time

edit: in all fairness though, it doesn't look bad. Still need to find out what the monetization strategy is before expressing any genuine interest.

Yeah I've gotten used to the fact that a huge chunk of RPGs from Japan are now all for smartphones these days.

Sign :((((

The game looks to be more and less dressed in the usual smartphone trappings.

I may just not appreciate JRPGs properly, but this looked fine to me. Not exploitative and reasonably mechanically complex.

Are people simply complaining because it's iOS?

People are unhappy because because this looks to be another one of those mobile games that do not live up to its claims of being a Full Scale RPG. It's rare to get good RPGs on IOS/Android that do not turn out to be borefests infused with stamina/time bars that are pay-to-play. And also sad that the ideas could have been better used on handhelds.

Magicant

Banned
Do they have a continuous story?

Breath of Fire 1, 2 and 3 are tied to the same world with some returning characters, but each subsequent game takes place hundreds upon hundreds of years after the other. 2 features some references and nods to things that happen in 1, and 3 also references the first game.

You don't have to play them in specific order, but know that 1 is a very traditional SNES RPG with lots of grinding. 2 requires some grinding here and there, as well. Nevertheless, an excellent series. One of my favorites.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
How do you guys gather enough energy to complain about every single new iOS/Android game announcement?

Looking forward to this.

I honestly don't know how you sleep at night duckroll.

I'm used to all of these iOS announcements now but the baiting and switching is just unusually cruel :'(

Arthea

by this point, we only need to see who created the thread, for our hopes to die without actually reading and getting upset even more.
Oh, who I'm kidding.
nooooooo.gif

Nibel

At first I looked at the creator of the thread and thought "oh, probably iOS trolling by Duckroll"

Then I read the OP and thought "whoa, this sound pretty cool - looks like a console game?"

And then I looked at the spoiler

LLShC.gif

Jay Sosa

meh doesn't look very interesting and that doesn't have anything to do with the platform it's released on.

I may just not appreciate JRPGs properly, but this looked fine to me. Not exploitative and reasonably mechanically complex.

Are people simply complaining because it's iOS?

not me..it simply looks uninspired and generic as hell. That tofu looks kinda cool though.

Top Bottom