• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X & Y sell more than 4 million units worldwide in first two days

Nintendo PR:

First Pokémon RPG for Nintendo 3DS Launches Simultaneously Around the World

REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– On Saturday, Oct. 12, Pokémon X and Pokémon Y for Nintendo 3DS became the first set of games in franchise history to launch simultaneously worldwide. Nintendo reported today that the games combined to sell more than 4 million units across Japan, Europe* and The Americas on Saturday, Oct. 12, and Sunday, Oct. 13.

“The early response to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y not only reaffirms the ongoing passion of Pokémon fans, but also indicates that an entirely new generation of gamers is eager to experience the franchise for itself,” said Nintendo President Satoru Iwata.

Since this was the first global launch in franchise history, there isn’t an exact historical precedent for comparison. However, when combining and comparing regional data for previous launches, Pokémon X and Pokémon Y would be the fastest-selling Nintendo 3DS games of all time and are tracking ahead of the last Pokémon RPG titles, Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2, by more than 70 percent.

With more than 245 million** games sold worldwide, the Pokémon franchise continues to be one of the strongest brands in the history of video games. Since 2002, five sets of Pokémon titles have combined to exceed 10 million units sold to date worldwide, with three sets combining to surpass 15 million units. That list includes:

Title Platform Total Global Sales
Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl Nintendo DS 17.63 Million
Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire Game Boy Advance 16.22 Million
Pokémon Black and Pokémon White Nintendo DS 15.42 Million
Pokémon HeartGold and Pokémon SoulSilver Nintendo DS 12.67 Million
Pokémon FireRed and Pokémon LeafGreen Game Boy Advance 12 Million

*Data from Europe primarily covers Saturday, Oct. 12, as the great majority of retail outlets are closed on Sundays across Europe.

**Pokémon global sales are based on internal sales figures, and are current as of March 31, 2013.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
That's fantastic! I'm guessing at least 50 % of that is in Japan

Gotta buy 'em all! Seriously though, I'm having a blast with this game and I can't set it down. Kudos to you, Nintendo!

Blablurn

ibojVsWTgZhnFa.gif

Celine

However, when combining and comparing regional data for previous launches, Pokémon X and Pokémon Y would be the fastest-selling Nintendo 3DS games of all time and are tracking ahead of the last Pokémon RPG titles, Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2, by more than 70 percent.
Ah ah they say that as it should be an impressive thing.
Let's compare with Diamond and Pearl next time, it is more meaningful ;-)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'll try some math with this

Since this was the first global launch in franchise history, there isn’t an exact historical precedent for comparison. However, when combining and comparing regional data for previous launches, Pokémon X and Pokémon Y would be the fastest-selling Nintendo 3DS games of all time and are tracking ahead of the last Pokémon RPG titles, Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2, by more than 70 percent.

And the known sales numbers.

Pretty crazy, in a good way. I haven't played pokemon since red+blue lol. I remember putting that game into my game boy color it was cool... lmao.

Remember when handhelds had no color... wow.

Ploid 3.0

I'm getting it for my 6year old nephew today. I hope he's able to play through it. I only had pokemon red. The many threads on gaf caused me to consider getting it for him randomly yesterday.

I was waiting for this lol. After the announcement of the Zelda 3DS i'll pick this up at the same time as that.
I just found those topics (and the two fanbases slinging shit at each other) to be remarkably silly.

There is nothing wrong with selling 4 million copies in 2 days. 99% of the industry would kill for those sales and the legs these games have.

Stratostar

Not a Pokemon fan but this is good news. I like what Iwata said about "a new generation" of players experiencing the series for the first time with X and Y.

hoserx

My copy should be here today, my first Pokemon game lol.

I'm 30 and I've never touched Pokemon. Bought X on Saturday......... it's fantastic. Recently commissioned a co-worker to craft a Pokeball hat that I can equip to deal with the upcoming Ohio winter. I'm in.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Fantastic news and well deserved. I have my monies worth out the game and I have just beaten 3rd Gym leader or whatever they are called.

Hasney

Not shocked. Loving seeing the last played on the Streetpass thing right now too as every single person for the past few days (bar one who was having fun in System Settings) had Pokemon.

Wonder if there was a slight spike in SD card sales for those who got a digital version. Just had to run out and buy a 32gb SD card due to the fact I had to delete Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem to fit it on the original 4GB.

EDIT: Probably be hard to verify, but is this the highest selling single-platform game over a single weekend?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The GTA vs Pokemon sales is a meme at this point right?

"People" or "GAF" were not saying it was going to outsell it. No one in their right mind would ever believe such a thing. One dude made a thread and asked the question.

Top Bottom