• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X & Y sell more than 4 million units worldwide in first two days

LOCK

The PR says X/Y is tracking ahead of Black 2/White 2 by more than 70%. So, if my math is right, this means Pokémon Black 2 / White 2 sold 2.352.941 units in the first two days. Then, since the game sold 1.561.738 in Japan alone in the first two days, we have around 791.203 for Europe and Americas.
Why are your totals less than 4 million?

Nintendo usually reports sell through to consumers.

Yeah, I havent had this much fun with an RPG in awhile. I love the interaction you have with your pokemon. My Frogadier is funny, always pestering me when I go to the Pokeamie thing.

dropbear

Banned
The comparisons with GTAV sales are a joke, right?

Even on singular platforms the install base for the 3DS is a fraction of what GTAV launched on. What's the point of comparison here?

L~A

I'm trying to think of how much bigger this holiday season could be than last holiday season (Regarding the current/old consoles only)

This holiday season will be nuts for the industry.

It's certainly going to be for the 3DS, especially in Japan. Monster Hunter + Pokémon + the rest of the holiday line-up, it's going to be a bloodbath. And I think it's going to do great in Europe too, as the 3DS is selling quite well there (a tad less in the UK). Zelda : ALBW is already n°6 of sales on Amazon.fr, even though the game won't be released for yet another month.

I am very behind on Pokemon and can only gauge them based on 'how cool they look'. Yes, that is a juvenile metric, but my last favorite Pokemon was Zapdos - just to show how far back I am, lol.
Good news for you,
Zapdos is back in this game as well as the other two Articuno and Moltres

Even on singular platforms the install base for the 3DS is a fraction of what GTAV launched on. What's the point of comparison here?
They should be a joke, but at this point I think some people are taking it seriously...

koutoru

GTAV sales outstripped Pokemon sales, however development costs were probably radically different. (Not that it matters when you sell hundreds of millions of units)

Berordn

GTAV sales outstripped Pokemon sales, however development costs were probably radically different. (Not that it matters when you sell hundreds of millions of units)

Pokemon is hardly a front-loaded game, though it'll probably never hit GTAV numbers.

Birathen

I did my part o7

I bought X and Y.

Great game, my first Pokemon and I'm loving it. Still have to try online battles and a bunch of other features. But I'm liking what I've seen.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Some guy got everyone in a huff when he made a thread predicting that Pokemon would outsell GTAV's launch, even though the dude came back to the thread halfway through and admitted that he only said that to get people riled up so that his thread would have a lot of posts.

NotLiquid

A user made a thread asking whether it was possible that Pokemon could outdo GTA V sales. The consensus was an overwhelming no but a lot of insecure users would downplay the general brand strength of the series and make it sound like anything less than a GTA V debut would be a failure. So yes, I'd assume at this point it's a joke based on some ridiculous stances people took.

I've already run into several people on StreetPass playing it. I have such a large backlog for the 3ds that I'm holding out from getting it. Hell, I have not played a Pokemon game in over ten years, but I hear this is the one to get

GTAV and Pokemon X/Y are both videogames. That's where the similarity ends, I think. But hopefully this and the 2DS will do what Diamond/Pearl and the DS Lite did for the original DS, or close to an effect. It's already not doing terribly, Pokemon could easily push it over the edge into doing incredibly.

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE TIME: Walking round Uni today, StreetPassed 7 people all playing X or Y. I've barely got more than two in a day before now. Which leads me to ask, where the hell is the StreetPass function in this game?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
We need the politoed gif

1377068890486tmjnr.gif

Derrick01

Banned
I can't help but laugh at the people who thought this was going to outsell GTA now (well, more than before anyway). These are legitimately great sales but it's like a third of what GTA did in 1 day. That prediction didn't even come close :lol

Completely anecdotal but I work in a store that sells games, and from my brief observations, it appears Pokemon is outselling the new Skylanders game. So far, because we don't know what the holidays will bring.

DrWong

People did say it.

Some guy got everyone in a huff when he made a thread predicting that Pokemon would outsell GTAV's launch, even though the dude came back to the thread halfway through and admitted that he only said that to get people riled up so that his thread would have a lot of posts.

One guy asked if it was possible/conceivable for X/Y to do better than GTA V. He was just wondering you know.

But war contaminates everything.

One guy asked if it was possible/conceivable for X/Y to do better than GTA V. He was just wondering you know.

But war contaminates everything.

That's what I thought. Reading the thread by far the majority agreed it wasn't feasible so I'm not sure why some people are dropping in here and acting all vindictive as if there were a swarm of people suggesting it was possible.

Sendou

I can't help but laugh at the people who thought this was going to outsell GTA now (well, more than before anyway). These are legitimately great sales but it's like a third of what GTA did in 1 day. That prediction didn't even come close :lol

People? As in many? Because all I ever saw was that one poster who decided to make a thread and then later edited the OP to reflect the error of his ways. There was never a chance it would sell more than GTAV and it never was up for debate. Laughing at extremely uninformed people isn't my thing. Because it's not even up to faith if you would believe something as outrageous as that.

KHlover

Banned
GTAV and Pokemon X/Y are both videogames. That's where the similarity ends, I think. But hopefully this and the 2DS will do what Diamond/Pearl and the DS Lite did for the original DS, or close to an effect. It's already not doing terribly, Pokemon could easily push it over the edge into doing incredibly.

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE TIME: Walking round Uni today, StreetPassed 7 people all playing X or Y. I've barely got more than two in a day before now. Which leads me to ask, where the hell is the StreetPass function in this game?

Holo-Log in the PSS menu IIRC

Toxi

Banned
I think I'll make a thread titled "Will Dark Souls II outsell Grand Theft Auto V." Then people can talk about all the predictions that Dark Souls II would outsell Grand Theft Auto V and how wrong and silly those people were.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Who are they though? I'm skimming through the thread that Nirolak posted (http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=694283)

So far I've seen no-one seriously thinking that it will be anywhere near GTA V's day 1 sales, besides the OP (who in fairness is posing it as a question - and later admitting it was pretty dumb).

There are some (I've seen two or three) who say that it's possible that the LTD could be larger though. That's btw also an extremely unlikely/impossible scenario for me.

99 % of the replies seems to be "lol no" to me, and rightly so.

I do, yes. I told everyone, wait till Pokemons, but no one listened, and look at the little guy now, having one hell of a year!

3DS has had quite awful year sales wise in the west. Lets see how much Pokemon helps (not going to help it to the DS level of sales but PSP level would be a start...)

Top Bottom