• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X & Y sell more than 4 million units worldwide in first two days

Zornack

What were D/P's numbers? The only ones I could find were Japan's and they were at 2 million after the first two days.

Lexxism

Some NPD numbers (3DS(2013) vs PSP(2007))

March
PSP: 180K
3DS: 230K

April
PSP: 183K
3DS: 113K

May:
PSP 221K
3DS 114K

June
PSP: 290K
3DS: 225K

July
PSP: 214K
3DS: 150K

August
PSP: 151K
3DS: 130K

Total:
PSP: 1239K
3DS: 962K

You don't want to see DS numbers...

That's okay. I still take worldwide sales over this. 3DS >>>> PSP

DrWong

Fighting for? This is the quote that got your knickers in a twist:

The fact that you took those as fighting words says more about you than me. In case it wasn't clear to you what my innocuous post meant: Great numbers for Pokemon. Really great. I contributed to it by buying X. The threads comparing sales and launch lines were begging for comparisons between the two, and I hope now those can stop. They were misguided and only served to lessen the much deserved Pokemon hype.

If that's looking for a fight, then wow.

Let me re-quote the thing for you:
DrWong said:
The odd thing is that it was started by Nintendo fans.

Fucking wrong, you're "starting/making" it.

PerZona

Very good news. More people are trying out the Pokemon franchise because of the hype and friends introducing is always a good thing. Love to see the game franchise that I had played since I was a kid remain so successful despite all these years. Especially with so many different kind of games in the market now.

I'm from Singapore and many gamers including myself are surprised at the number of people queuing up for this game (not to mention people are queuing up for just the pre-orders alone). This game deserve the sales.

And why are there idiots saying that this game will outsell GTA V? These 2 games are in a totally different league and both games are targeting different audiences as well. Not to mention everybody knows that GTA V will definitely be selling more, mainly because of the install base of both the PS3 and Xbox 360 combined. SMH seriously.

P90

GTA V: 11.21 million units in 24 hours
Pokémon: 4 million units in 48 hours

GTA sold (48/24)*(11.21/4) faster at launch. A goddamn factor 6. What an ugly monster.

No disrespect to GTA's sales, and utterly fantastic they are, but Pokemon is about legs, decade-long legs. Let's meet back in a few years and look at revenue, profit, as well as revenue and profit from licensed items. I suspect it will be a very different picture.

A couple pages in there were other people who started to agree with him

So you pick outliers and suddenly that makes it a serious thread? Stop making a big deal out of one or two delusional people (and I think the argument even then was for LTD sales not first day sales; which is slightly less delusional but still quite so) when the vast majority laughed it off.

Meier

Went through the threads. There's quite a few people who thought that Pokemon's LTD could surpass GTAV's. To them I say, it won't even beat GTAV's first week of sales.

Disagree. I think it'll be close to 10 million by the end of the year. One thing that many people haven't focused on due to it not being bolded is that very few sales were accounted for in Europe on Sunday as most retail shops are closed.

Some Nobody

Went through the threads. There's quite a few people who thought that Pokemon's LTD could surpass GTAV's. To them I say, it won't even beat GTAV's first week of sales.

...That's a terrible bet that I wouldn't make. Nintendo's got tons of casuals to run through between Black Friday and Christmas.

...And then there's Z, which will also sell stupidly and cost them a fraction of what it cost to make X/Y, which is a fraction of what GTA V's ridic budget was.

TheBera

No disrespect to GTA's sales, and utterly fantastic they are, but Pokemon is about legs, decade-long legs. Let's meet back in a few years and look at revenue, profit, as well as revenue and profit from licensed items. I suspect it will be a very different picture.

If I'm not mistaken, GTA has very long legs, in fact GTA4 had a surge of sales right before GTAV.
I agree that Pokemon has a lot more sources of income though, with toys, anime, etc.

Weren't some people saying in the GTA thread that every Pokemon game has dropped off in sales? And now I see Diamond and Pearl were the best-selling installments in the (recent) franchise.

Go home gaf analysts you're drunk

Toxi

Banned
What the fuck does it matter who makes more cash? Both Rockstar and Gamefreak are rolling in the dough either way.

It's like the US debt ceiling, where a complete non-issue is turned into an issue because people won't stop talking about it.
A couple pages in there were other people who started to agree with him
Wow, there is more than one stupid person in the world. Truly a revelation.

Lkr

My friend tried to get it last night and walmart and target were sold out. I figured Nintendo under shipped like it seems they had been doing with most games but maybe not

Platy

Also they are 2 videogames with a 5 year instal base against a single 2 year portable

So something along the lines of 6 million in one day vs 4 million in 2 days is a better comparison

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Don't say such silly things. The last gta managed well over 20 million. Pokemon hasn't sold that since g/s. It couldn't even do it with the ds userbase. It will never catch gta because gta also has long legs and still has three more versions to launch. And sure if you wanna compare them as media properties Pokemon is better with other media, clothing, and other merchandise but that's just moving the goalposts of the comparison

GTA has legs too bro. You don't get form 15 million to 25 million without some insane legs.

We need the politoed gif

1377068890486tmjnr.gif

Best zoom gif has got to be Psyduck.

The GTA vs Pokemon sales is a meme at this point right?

"People" or "GAF" were not saying it was going to outsell it. No one in their right mind would ever believe such a thing. One dude made a thread and asked the question.

There were people getting pretty salty at both sides, so I don't doubt someone actually take it seriously.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
expected, but great nonethless. The way Nintendo managed the franchise over the years is nothing short of perfect

Fantastical

Death Prophet

GTA also has giant legs.

Sakura

Some NPD numbers (3DS(2013) vs PSP(2007))

March
PSP: 180K
3DS: 230K

April
PSP: 183K
3DS: 113K

May:
PSP 221K
3DS 114K

June
PSP: 290K
3DS: 225K

July
PSP: 214K
3DS: 150K

August
PSP: 151K
3DS: 130K

Total:
PSP: 1239K
3DS: 962K

You don't want to see DS numbers...

Those sales are still hardly "awful" though, they're fine. If you want awful sales look at the Vita or Wii U.

Tripon

If I'm not mistaken, GTA has very long legs, in fact GTA4 had a surge of sales right before GTAV.
I agree that Pokemon has a lot more sources of income though, with toys, anime, etc.
Yeah, at $5 or lower. Pokemon does not drop in price. Try buying a used copy of emerald and see how much that sets you back.

Ashodin

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/433853/nintendo-pokemon-xy-sold-4m-units-in-two-days/

Pokemon X and Pokemon Y, which are two slightly different versions of the same game, launched across North America, Japan and many parts of Europe on Saturday.

By late on Sunday, Nintendo claims the games became the fastest selling ever on 3DS (the sales of both were combined).

In what suggests there may still be forward momentum for the series, it was also calculated that X&Y are tracking ahead of Pokémon Black & White 2 by more than 70 percent.

"The early response to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y not only reaffirms the ongoing passion of Pokémon fans, but also indicates that an entirely new generation of gamers is eager to experience the franchise for itself," said Nintendo president Satoru Iwata.

In the UK, sales monitor Chart-Track had split the two games into separate entries, meaning that while X&Y came in at third and fourth place respectively, but together they would have outsold the first-placed GTA V.

Nintendo notes that X&Y are the first in the long-running franchise to have a simultaneous launch worldwide, and have performed better than any previously released entries.

Lumiose Save Bug if old, did a search and everythin'

harmonize

Hopefully they release one of these demographical percentages graphs like they did with BW, HGSS and DP; curious to see how well all of that targeting towards older fans worked out for them sales-wise.

06l.jpg

Portugeezer

Gold Member
X Left, Y right
pokemonxylegend_27592.nphd.jpg

X left, Y right
pokemonxyexclusive_27592.nphd.jpg

X left, Y right
pokemonxycharizard_27592.nphd.jpg

X Left, Y right
pokemonxymew_27592.nphd.jpg

To me X gets the superior legendary and Mega Evolve MewTwo/Charizard. You can always trade so it really doesn't matter.

I prefer the Y legendary and Mewtwo, Charizard looks cooler in X but a Dragon Pokemon isn't as cool as it used to be so it's not a big deal for me.

Hopefully they release one of these demographical percentages graphs like they did with BW, HGSS and DP; curious to see how well all of that targeting towards older fans worked out for them sales-wise.

06l.jpg
Not any solid data, but there was a report in the MC thread that most people who bought the game in Japan were college students.

braves01

Banned
Needs more "you think this is a motherfucking game?"

Well deserved. It's the most jampacked game in the series.

Uhhh...I think B2W2 has more content, and if not for the online stuff in X/Y, I wouldn't hesitate to say it's the better game.

Elija2

In the UK, sales monitor Chart-Track had split the two games into separate entries, meaning that while X&Y came in at third and fourth place respectively, but together they would have outsold the first-placed GTA V.

So Pokemon actually did beat GTAV.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Uhhh...I think B2W2 has more content, and if not for the online stuff in X/Y, I wouldn't hesitate to say it's the better game.

B2W2 has more postgame I give you that, but XY has so much to do in their given postgame despite being fewer.

Berordn

I don't know about overall content - I'd say they're about evenly tied there. In terms of places to go and stuff to do they're about even, X & Y just has a longer campaign and gives you most of the game's features in the first ten minutes without having it gated behind the Elite 4.

Rocky

Banned
Good to see Pokemon is still popular. I bought both games and I'm loving it more than any previous gen so far.

I wonder if there will ever be a Pokemon game that surpasses the first gen's (RGB) sales. I think it did around 30 million lifetime. No other gen has ever come close to that. I think Gold/Silver did a little over 20 million, which is the closest.

Top Bottom