• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Killzone: Shadow Fall review

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
http://www.gamereactor.eu/reviews/98944/Killzone:+Shadow+Fall/

K8NwmyE.png

Warning: Spoilers.

Phenomal?

What the hell does uneven difficulty even mean? This one bit was hard but the next one wasn't? Isn't that just design?

Nemesis_

I haven't been following the media for this game outside of YouTube, so I thought I'd ask - is this 60fps? I only ask because of the "phenomenal" framerate comment.

This is probably my most anticipated launch title for the PS4. I'm really keen to see how they improve it compared to the first three.

Torgo

I wonder if there will ever be a game where the embargo ISN'T broken. Yeesh. Our review will be live in about an hour, like everyone else's.

I haven't been following the media for this game outside of YouTube, so I thought I'd ask - is this 60fps?

This is probably my most anticipated launch title for the PS4. I'm really keen to see how they improve it compared to the first three.
Most of the time60fps in mp. 30 fps in sp

I haven't been following the media for this game outside of YouTube, so I thought I'd ask - is this 60fps? I only ask because of the "phenomenal" framerate comment.

60 for MP, 30 for SP

Empty

Fuck, spoiled in the first paragraph.

Not really sure what "stupid" levels means.

All too often, especially in the forest level, enemies and their well aimed attacks draw me in the wrong direction. We follow the sound of gunfire, take out the enemy and progress. As conditioned by 20 years of action games. But several times it turns out that we should have moved in the opposite direction to set off bombs in a downed freight ship (or similar tasks), before moving on towards the spot the enemy were guiding us to. At times it gets really weird when you have to go back, perform some seemingly menial task, return to the previous position and push a button that wasn't there at first. It breaks the illusion.

this is their explanation

edit: or not. maybe that's the odd combat direction. see later posts.

potam

Banned
The Warzone mode allows us to completely tailor our multiplayer experience, and do away with all the Call of Duty-inspired modernities, but we would rather have seen something more original. Fewer maps, fewer teams, no upgradable weapons or gear, no currency to buy stuff with after each match. Things we see in every game. With that rant out of the way, Shadow Fall's multiplayer is well crafted from start to finish, and we recommend it for those looking for a sci-fi take on the Call of Duty formula.

Since this is the first next-gen exclusive we're reviewing you're probably curious about the visuals. For this purpose we've compared it side-by-side with some of the best looking games on the market including Battlefield 4, Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 on PC. Only Crysis 3 beats Shadow Fall on technical merits on ultra. Crysis 3 wins out thanks to its higher resolution and better textures.

Kinda disappointing that they only dedicated one paragraph to multiplayer.

The graphics comment is pretty nice, though I don't know how much of an objective look they took at it.

Mp is 60 fps, sp is unlocked

NotLiquid

The reviewer for this particular publication is a pretty big Killzone fan and reviewed all the previous games. For reference, he gave the first one a 9/10, the second one a 10/10 and the third one a 7/10.

Cartman86

Banned

Multiplayer has 60. Apparently 30 for single. I'll believe it when I see it.

WJD

When Shadow Fall is at its best it's atmospheric, exciting, gorgeous, scary, cool, challenging and full of top of the class balance between recoil, rate of fire, enemy patterns, animation and environmental design. But when it doesn't come together it can be one of the worst experiences we've had in years.
The level where you jump from a crashing space pod wearing a Wing Suit, only to have to navigate your way through skyscrapers that are crashing down,
feels like a nightmare that lasts an eternity. It's one of the worst sequences we've experienced in a game of this type. And this is where the problem with Shadow Fall lies. Guerrilla has been trying a little too hard, and it's noticeable that they have been pushed to make a deadline. Combat is sometimes poorly choreographed.

Huh.

From this it looks like it looks great but the gameplay is lacking. As much as graphics are important, I don't think I'd want to play through an entire campaign just because the graphics are good.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Precise controls and awesome framerate is all I give a shit about.

HOOK ME IN.

Fuck, spoiled in the first paragraph.

Not really sure what "stupid" levels means.

Probably something to with this..

The campaign swings from genius highs to frustrating, horrendous lows. Thankfully the highlights are more frequent than the moments that had us screaming with rage.

Seems like there's poor level design in parts, but to be expected for a launch game as some parts are always likely to be rushed rather than refined. A bit like all those corridors in Halo CE.

Tak3n

Banned
That sounds like a click bait review, as they have mentioned the unfathomable craziness around framerates...

anyway I think we all know deep down this will be a shallow game. 8 sounds about right, give it a 7 and Sony fan boys will go nuts, Give it a 9 and conspiracy theorists will be a plenty..

Expect to see lots of 'safe' 8's

Top Bottom