• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Killzone: Shadow Fall review

Bundy

Banned
iat6.jpg

Be prepared for some major bullshit!

I have a hard time taking any review with blatant spelling and grammar errors seriously.

You're a journalist. It's your job to write. Do it correctly.

Yes OCD I know.

suedester

Banned
A couple of idiotic missions, a weak ending and a bunch of firefights that devolved into something akin to a meaningless guessing game pull the score down to a weak 8 in the end.

Why the fuck is 8 weak. What is the matter with these people. If you're using 1-10 score then use it for fucks sake.

genbatzu

so to sum this up on the plusside we have graphics, graphics, graphics, audio, gameplay, graphics and on the downside gameplay, gameplay, gameplay

Frillen

Good enough for me. Launch titles usually have some shortcomings in the gameplay department. This title is a showcase title to show of the next gen, so the most important thing here is that the graphics are awesome.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The gameplay seems to be just what I had hoped. Very excited now.

So, graphics > gameplay.
Are you kidding? This sounds like an exceptionally interesting shooter.

Derrick01

Banned
All too often, especially in the forest level, enemies and their well aimed attacks draw me in the wrong direction. We follow the sound of gunfire, take out the enemy and progress. As conditioned by 20 years of action games. But several times it turns out that we should have moved in the opposite direction to set off bombs in a downed freight ship (or similar tasks), before moving on towards the spot the enemy were guiding us to. At times it gets really weird when you have to go back, perform some seemingly menial task, return to the previous position and push a button that wasn't there at first. It breaks the illusion.

So the natural reaction the reviewer comes to is to blame the game for breaking away from the traditional FPS mold. I see.

"I can't just run in a straight line? AHHH WHAT DO I DO?"

spats

So the story is another hamfest? Why is GG incapable of effectively utilizing the cool world they've created to tell interesting stories?

Gamereactor said:
The environments are more open in Shadow Fall, with more of a labyrinthine feel than the corridors we know from Call of Duty. The player often has to search and explore an environment before moving on to the next one. There is not really any guiding arrow that appears to lead us on our way, and occasionally light puzzles break the pace. It's an old-school approach for a very modern action game, and it works most of the time.

I like the sound of this.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Good enough for me. Launch titles usually have some shortcomings in the gameplay department. This title is a showcase title to show of the next gen, so the most important thing here is that the graphics are awesome.

Really? No. Sounds like a SenjutsuSage post.

I'm planning to spend a lot of time on the multiplayer in this, and it's all about the gameplay.
Did they expand on the MP in this review at all? I'm not reading in case of spoilers.

I'm going to be an optimist and assume game reviewers got their together shit together and reset the 1 - 10 scoring scale. So far the lack of 10's for next gen games is encouraging. Maybe we can go back to an '8' = great game.

Edit: thanks nbnt, for adding the spoiler warning.

Vizzeh

Banned
Sounds awesome.. dont like the 'spoilers' tag tho

Will read the review without them... graphical power house and solid fps... awesome

Maulik

Concerned that they just brushed aside mp. I would have thought mp would have been just as important if not more so as sp.

alterno69

Banned
Sounds fair according to the text and all their complaints are pretty valid, and kinda expected from past Killzone experiences.

I'm getting this day one no matter the scores but it's good to know the game is great.

Nugg

Uneven Difficulty?

Isn't this how games should be? somethings are simple somethings are hard it's life.

A video game should get progressively harder as you progress through the game. If you have stupid difficulty spikes right in the middle of your game, if your difficulty curve is uneven, you screwed up.

Carbonox

Interesting review (won't read in full cos of the spoilers).

Shows that reviewers aren't - to their credit - just blindly throwing 10's around cos of the next-gen shine.

Game sounds great though with some possibly (we will see as we all play the game) subjectively bad areas.

Any complaints about difficulty aren't really valid unless it's brokenly hard. Otherwise it's down to the individual playing what's hard and what isn't.

8/10 is a good score for a launch title.

stay gold

So the natural reaction the reviewer comes to is to blame the game for breaking away from the traditional FPS mold. I see.

"I can't just run in a straight line? AHHH WHAT DO I DO?"

Yeah. And we wonder why shooters have devolved into scripted scene after scripted scene.

Norml

Music sounds real good.

Add to this the sweetest music we've heard in an action game since the first Halo. Two different composers, independent of each other, have written the music to each side of the game world. Vekta City is a harmonic place that's forced into war, while New Helghan is hell on Earth. This is naturally reflected in the music. Guerrilla mixes mechanical sounds and pulsating music that reminds us of the scores of Inception, Watchmen and 300. At times it feels very powerful and it fits the atmosphere of the game like a glove.

mclem

Phenomal?

What the hell does uneven difficulty even mean? This one bit was hard but the next one wasn't? Isn't that just design?

You'd expect a steady ramp-up in challenge as the game proceeds. Occasionally, though, you get games with weird difficulty spikes in unexpected points. That's uneven difficulty.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How exactly?
Most shooters these days are straightforward, linear games which always push you forward. You're never left in a position of not knowing how to proceed.

It seems that, with this game, they've delivered much larger, open ended maps that have more in common with Deus Ex or even old school shooters (such as Doom). Wandering around a large space ship trying to figure out how to make your way through it while facing different types of gameplay along the way is much more interesting than following a singular, linear path.

Between the large, open map design, variety of options for engaging enemies (using the Owl, for instance), and an increased focus on stealth it really seems compelling to me.

If you LIKE linear shooters then perhaps this is of no interest to you but I'm thrilled by the change in direction here.

Top Bottom