• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals Review Thread

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that the four websites that decided to review this game have put up their articles.

USGamer - 5/5
Need for Speed: Rivals takes some of the best features from prior franchise entries and combines them with a seamless single-multiplayer mode to create an absolutely terrific, utterly bonkers race-and-chase game that looks and sounds as good as it drives.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/need-for-speed-rivals-ps4-review-the-greatest-hits
GameSpot - 8/10
Need for Speed: Rivals is very much in the tradition of Hot Pursuit, but that great, familiar gameplay has been infused with enough new elements to make it as thrilling here as it's ever been. It sure is good to hit the open road again.
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/need-for-speed-rivals-review/1900-6415555/
Auto Express - 4/5
The huge, open-world environment, wide variety of cars, superb graphics, life-like weather and damage effects make Need for Speed: Rivals incredibly fun - we could happily play this game for hours at a time. However, the lack of split-screen multiplayer and a cockpit view seem like missed opportunities, and those who prefer more linear gameplay should look elsewhere.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/77963/need-speed-rivals-review#ixzz2kj9nlSKE
OXM - 8
Need for Speed Rivals is obviously the best-looking the series has been, thanks to the advent of new console hardware, but it's not definitively the best-feeling game in the series. It'll be tough to weather another pre-race lobby in other driving games after experiencing Rivals' seamless single-player/multiplayer mix, but it comes at the expense of a cohesive career mode, which might be slightly too chaotic for some. Fortunately, Ghost Games proves itself worthy of taking the keys from Criterion, as its debut ensures Xbox One is off to a rip-roaring start.
http://www.oxmonline.com/need-speed-rivals-xbox-one-review?page=0,1
EGM - 7/10
While the driving is superb and the visuals are stunning, the inherent limitations of Rivals‘ AllDrive concept begin to hamper the experience near the end. The result is a game that’s three-quarters great fun, one-quarter miserable, frustrating slog.
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-need-for-speed-rivals/#
GamesRadar - 3.5/5
Need for Speed: Rivals is a wholly enjoyable open-world racer. The driving is solid, its streets are a joy to explore, and its racing assignments--though a bit repetitive at times--are incentive enough to keep you coming back for more.
http://www.gamesradar.com/need-for-speed-rivals-review/

I don't know why anyone would be surprised by high scores for this game. It's being made by people from Criterion Games and EA's new racing studio "Ghost Games".

SFenton

Glad to hear good reviews. I absolutely loved Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit by Criterion- glad this is another launch game shaping up nicely.

I knew this would get good reviews (it's basically a prettier open world Hot Pursuit), but I can't stand the gameplay.

The best Need for Speeds are Underground 2 and the original Most Wanted in that order. I hate these Burnout hybrid style NFS.

In case you're wondering it runs on an updated version of Frostbite 3, same as Battlefield 4. It shares a lot of the same visual style but looks great.

fallingdove

Looks pretty good. I had considered picking this up.

Most Wanted ended up being the only game that I really enjoyed at the PS3 launch.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Man, I'm genuinely surprised EA didn't mess this one up. I guess it helps when the staff that was largely behind Burnout develops.

Once my PS4 arrives today, I'm going to pick up my copy of Rivals.

Tabby

Great to see it get good reviews.
Lost interest in NFS games once it went back to its roots.
I miss Underground.

friz898

Still not convinced. Most Wanted last year got great reviews despite being pretty awful.

You and me both.

My negatives for Most Wanted were:

o Chugged on PC, even with powerful rig.
o No in-car view
o Slow "Tank" turning
o Cruel races as in, little notice for sharp 90 degree turns.
o Win race, but then have to get busted or spend 15-20mins trying to avoid cops as it carried over into open world.

That being said, I was soooo hyped for it. Hot Pursuit was amazing, and I thought all Criterion NFS games would be amazing. I can't pull myself to pull the 60 dollar trigger this time.

Also, if you folks read the EGM view, it sounds like my last point still remains a problem. What fun is trying to avoid cops as a reward for winning a race?

Hot Pursuit was so damn good. :(

Zalman

I don't get why people are surprised. The last two Need for Speed games have been wonderful. Criterion brought it back from the death. I know they weren't the primary developer for this one, but it seems that they did help still.

Theman2k

wow lol
so lucky i ordered it instead of knack.
i had a feeling knack will be bad, but those reviews are awesome :D

mclem

Just to check: I have the Driving Force GT for the PS3. Can I expect that to Just Work on PS4 with this?

Into

The Driven of racing games!

I am happy to read that its similar to Hot Pursuit that was the last NFS game i really loved in a long time.

scitek

I don't get why people are surprised. The last two Need for Speed games have been wonderful. Criterion brought it back from the death. I know they weren't the primary developer for this one, but it seems that they did help still.

They pretty much are Ghost Games now. Criterion has less than 20 people left.

Nokterian

I do hope it is better then MW from last year. That game was horrible on PC. Not good optimized at all and very boring since every car had the same thing to unlock over and over again. I do hope this is more in the direction of Hot Pursuit 2010 and a bit of the older ones.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Playing the cop portion of the game is somewhat reminiscent of Burnout, I am impressed and I think I love this game.

Top Bottom