• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Dragon (Xbox One) Reviews Thread

salromano

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/c...piritual-successor-derailing-its-own-fun.aspx

Score: 6/10

Game Informer said:
Summary
  • Concept: Resurrect the on-rails shooter genre with a spiritual successor to Sega’s classic Panzer Dragoon series, but fail to recapture the glory
  • Graphics: The environmental design is exotic, but the graphical detail isn’t much better than last-gen games. Not surprising, since it originally began as an Xbox 360 title
  • Sound: The music is moody and dramatic, but mostly unremarkable. The voice acting sounds like a Saturday-morning cartoon
  • Playability: You control your dragon with the left analog stick and your aiming reticule with the right stick, which takes a bit of getting used to
  • Entertainment: Crimson Dragon might offer fans a few cheap thrills of rail shooters, but the repetitive gameplay grows old quickly
  • Replay: Moderately Low

Polygon gives it a 4.

Review

Venture Beat:

If Crimson Dragon had been released for iOS or Android devices at a cheaper price, it would be one of the year’s more interesting releases. Instead, the final product is a rushed, homogenized mess of a game that fails to live up to its loosely associated pedigree.

There’s a couple good ideas in here, but they’ve been haphazardly thrown into an unimpressive package that does nothing to stand out against far better Xbox One launch titles. As it stands, the Panzer Dragoon series is still as dead as ever.

35/100

Crimson Dragon might offer fans a few cheap thrills of rail shooters, but the repetitive gameplay grows old quickly

That's disappointing, although I wonder what PDO would get if it was released in today's market.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Meh, I'm not going to drag on the games like tons tried to do with the PS4 games like KZ or Knack.

ENJOY YOUR GAMES. I personally wouldn't be buying this but some people are going to enjoy this game. Some will not

Not really actually!

Having talked to friends and watched Streams, Knack is a fun game. I don't know if I would put a number on it but it looks much better than the reviews say.

That being said, there's no point in comparing this to Knack.

-Setsuna-

I loved the original Panzer Dragoon games, so just to make sure I wasn’t misremembering the quality of the series I went back and sampled the library. I had more fun playing the first levels of Sega’s old shooters than I did with my entire time with Crimson Dragon. Hardcore fans of classic on-rails shooters like Star Fox or Space Harrier might be able to play through this while wearing rose-tinted glasses, but it doesn’t hold a candle to its precursors that came out decades ago.
The conclusion really hurts.

MilkBeard

Meh, I'm not going to drag on the games like tons tried to do with the PS4 games like KZ or Knack.

ENJOY YOUR GAMES. I personally wouldn't be buying this but some people are going to enjoy this game. Some will not.

I agree. We've gone through this with the PS4 already. The reviewers seem like they are going to be extra harsh on these launch games. Their score may not be indicative of your enjoyment.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Going to wait for more reviews. Edge, where are you?

Please don't suck, I've been waiting for a new Panzer Dragoon for a long time.

Railshooters tend to get shat on by reviewers, seems like they don't fully grasp the concept that these tend to be point-scoring type of games meant to be played until you perfect each stage.

Kajiba

Going to still play it still later down the road. Probably after I finish with my other games I get at launch.

Binabik15

So it begins, the great review score war of 2013.

Funny how many (most?) people here agree that game journalists are doing a lousy job, but GAF still gives them a platform and talks about their reviews for fanboy ammo.

Who cares about Metacritic, ask actual gamers with similiar taste to yourself and watch videos of gameplay.

shandy706

Isn't this a $20 game?

Definitely worth waiting for more reviews...I'll wait for a sale or use some free points on it later for some quick fun.

Top Bottom