• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Dragon (Xbox One) Reviews Thread

Ogni-XR21

I hope it still sells. Probably the only next gen game I'm currently interested in but no system seller for me.

The only good thing about having a Windows Phone is the Crimson Dragon Side Story which can be downloaded for free. So at least I got that...

Duxxy3

In a way I'm relieved.

I love the panzer dragoon games and was sad that I wouldn't get to play the spiritual successor.

Looks like it's ok to miss out.

I hope it still sells. Probably the only next gen game I'm currently interested in but no system seller for me.

The only good thing about having a Windows Phone is the Crimson Dragon Side Story which can be downloaded for free. So at least I got that...

I am getting this the second I get my XB1. It better sell well, it looks amazing to me. By far my most wanted launch game for either system.

Sterling leaves, all games get 7-10 :D

Even when Sterling was there this dichotomous stance was the case. It's as if in their effort to stand out from the crowd they've completely sacrificed any integrity they could ever hope to have. It's nice to root for the underdog now and then, but if it becomes the norm as a critic you're useless. I guess it's good to have an outlet that plays devil's advocate but I've never been able to take the site's purchasing advice seriously because of this. Not that I care much for reviews anyway.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Wow this is a real bummer. CD was the X1 game I was most excited for.

I'll probably still pick it up and try to enjoy it for what it is. I'm hoping multiplayer will be fun combined with all the loot and character progression stuff.

Hmm... this is disappointing to hear. Probably the most interesting Xbone launch title imo.

Japanese developed games not off to a good start this gen :/

Seems about right as it has the same gameplay from 10 years ago and they haven't really changed much of it. I think that if you enjoyed Panzar Dragoon you'll know what to expect from this game and know exactly what you're getting when you buy it.

I don't remember PD being about grinding and buying zenny with real money.

Vaiim

As someone who's not getting an Xbone (at least not yet), these reviews make me feel I made the right choice.
As a Panzer Dragoon fan... I'm crying on the inside :(

I'm sure some fans will still love the game to bits, so please don't let me put a downer on it for you guys. But damn a spiritual successor to PD deserved better.

And when I came away saying the E3 build played like garbage and to not get excited people said I was crazy and didn't know what I was talking about.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Jeez, this really sounds like a disaster... pretty much everyone seems to agree it's a disappointment coming off of Panzer Dragoon. Which is a damn shame -- it looks like I've lost the only game that I wanted an Xbone for.

Phreaker

Ouch.

I am getting it because Yukio Futatsugi is the creator of my favorite Original Xbox game, Phantom Dust and it's only $20.

Dueck

Banned
Hmm... That throws a wrench into things. I may just get the full KI DLC package instead of the KI + CD I was planning.

Jomjom

Banned
I think this is one of those games that reviewers will score low because of the type of game it is. If you're a panzer dragoon fan I wouldn't shy away just cause of the low scores.

I was never really interested in this because I never played Panzer Dragoon, seems pretty niche. If you're into it, you'll get it either way. Scores don't mean much, if it was my thing, I could easily score it 10/10.

I don't let people tell me what to wear, eat etc etc, why would I let them tell me(or sway me) what to play?

Massive PD fan. So obviously this is disappointing to see.

Upside is that I won't be annoyed I can't play it now, as it's doubtful I'll be picking up a XBO anytime soon.

Orta was my favourite Xbox game of all time and Zwei is perhaps one of my all time favourite games so it's still a real shame to hear they failed to recapture some of that magic. Especially on the soundtrack side.

I think this is one of those games that reviewers will score low because of the type of game it is. If you're a panzer dragoon fan I wouldn't shy away just cause of the low scores.

Some of these reviews (namely game informer and venturebeat) specifically state it's disappointing for PD fans.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I know you are joking, but if you go to the Official Knack Thread, nearly every single user impression says they are enjoying or enjoyed the game. Literally ever single person. Make of that what you will.

I would assume the same with this game.

Okay, first, you can't equate "nearly every single person liked it" to "literally every single person liked it." Second, there is no valid reason to assume that one critically maligned game being enjoyed by many players means that another game will be received the same way.

Not too surprised at the scores the game is getting, from the parts I've seen the game does look pretty rough (those free flight missions look terrible).

I'll still be picking it up though, I'm sure I'll be able to get some enjoyment out of my $20.

heard it was struggling in live demos and impressions so not surprised to see low scores.

i wanted a star fox 64 type of game :'(

hope i can try a demo

Still pretty hopeful as I don't think the genre has as much standing as it used to, just look at the comments saying it should have been an ios game or whatever, but it's a shame to see none the less. Was really hoping this would lead to Panzer Dragoon's return. Still looks quite fun to me and I love the art although the UI presentation remains out of place.

Fletcher

What a bummer. I played it at Comic Con in July and was not impressed. It kind of looked bad(which isn't a big deal), but it was just not a very fun game to play. Didn't expect much from it after that demo.

Urgh, this is the saddest news from next gen - a Panzer Dragoon game has mediocre music? What the hell happened?

When I eventually get an Xbone this will still likely be my first game but hearing it's not as good as the originals is extremely worrying.

Muffdraul

I'm really looking forward to this one, though. I've never played any of the PZ games.

Pan Zerdragoon?

I remember way back, after the Xbox was announced, I had no interest in it at all. Even when Orta was announced as an exclusive. I thought "Meh, who cares? Team Andromeda is gone and they ain't coming back. Smilebit... who the fuck are they? Buncha noobs who know nothing about Panzer Dragoon!" Then around E3 2002 there was an article which informed me that, actually, Smilebit contained a bunch of ex-Team Andromeda staff. And that was the moment I realized that I'd have to buy an Xbox after all, Orta was my killer app. But in the final analysis, Orta turned out to be a minor footnote in my Xbox repertoire, and there was this little game that taught me how to love first person shooters again. I forget what it was called, I believe it started with an H.

Anyway, I was never really holding out any hope that Crimson Dragon would harken back to true greatness. I'll probably pick it up someday though.

DigitalOp

Banned
"You control the dragon with the left stick and the reticule with the right stick which takes a little bit if getting used to.."

OH HO!! SO MEAN THE SAME CONTROL SCHEME AS A FPS!!

Haha oh wow.

Some reviewers suck at games yo.

synce

What's all this about?

Crimson Dragon is going to be its own story, because my God… they’re trying to sell you a free-to-play game for $20, and it’s pretty despicable. I don’t often walk away from games because I find the monetization so galling, but this time I put the controller down in disgust after a few hours. That’s just not an experience I want to have, and we’ll talk more about that in another story.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/arti...neration-how-f2p-mechanics-are-infiltrating-f

Top Bottom