• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albums at the Peaks of their Genres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link1110

Ive recently been listening to Michi's Eyes Wide Open and I must say, this is the single best JPop album I've ever heard. I've had some really good ones (Yuna Ito's Wish and Hitomi Yaida's Singles Collection) but this one blows them out of the water, there's not a single song I don't like!

It got me thinking, what other albums are at the absolute untouchable pinnacles of their genres? For me, Pop Punk doesn't get any better than Ixnay on the Hombre and for progressive rock you have Genesis's Selling England by the Pound (Trick of the Tail is pratticvally tied for better album, but as prog, SEBTP is better.)

What are your picks for best of a genre?

remist

ifYhHAjn5J4B8.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
220px-Marvin-gaye-in-the-groove.jpg

Best soul
220px-Bridge_Over_Troubled_Water.jpg

Folk Rock(deal w it, dylan fans)
Johnny_Cash_At_Folsom_Prison.jpg

Best Country(or folk country or whatever you want to call) and best live album
220px-TheClashLondonCallingalbumcover.jpg

Best punk, and I'm not even a huge Clash fan.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
the fact NOFX wrote a 18 minute punk song and somehow made it work means that the decline EP is probably humanity's greatest achievement.

or it might just be that it's the song i'm listening to right now and i have issues with perspective.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
the fact that judas priest wrote a song called "hard as iron" on a record called "ram it down", which appears on closer listen to be about fucking a harley davidson, makes that record humanity's greatest achievement.

or it might just be that it's the song i'm listening to right now and i have issues with perspective.

Best Alternative Rock: Radiohead OK Computer

Radiohead.okcomputer.albumart.jpg

Best... whatever the fuck genre you want to call it: Tool Ænima

Aenima.jpg

Best Trip Hop: Massive Attack Mezzanine

Massive_Attack_-_Mezzanine.jpg

five minutes ago i'd have agreed with you, now all i can think is where are all the tremolo divebombs, rhinestones and leather chaps?

i'm going to have to think on this for a while.

thousands of cars and a million cigars.

SCREAMING WITH POWER IN THE AIR.

album of the forever.

blood red skies will forever remain a favorite.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
honk honk Tool wanker coming through

tool_-_lateralusckkbg.jpg

I firmly believe Lateralus is one of the most compositionally stimulating, unique, and beautifully produced alt. rock (with a dash of progressive) albums ever.

Odrion

Banned
Now that I am older and less of a pretentious music douchebag I'll say that Tool fucking rules, they have always ruled.

Anyways, the best album from the 90/00s Psyche Pop Revival Genre:

UU7PKea.jpg

The Olivia Tremor Control - Black Foilage: Animation Music Volume 1

Honestly this album sounds like it's straight from the Sgt. Pepper and Smile era and gives those albums a run for their money. Never has an album sounded so out there while also sounding completely fun and in love with pop music.

Here, just listen to the first song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqtAuaVppW4. And then proceed to listen to the whole album on Spotify. Normally you want to post the very best song to prove your point, but right out of the gate the album explodes with fun and color and slight insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom